Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM

So are the GOP fully embracing identity politics now?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

They've been doing that since the 1990s, Airbeck. It's what Pat Buchanan's "culture war" is all about: White people vs. others.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM

I know, but they keep using that phrase as a cudgel against the left, so I was just clarifying that they will no longer be doing that?

/s

in case that wasn't clear
Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Oh, you poor country mouse. Of course they’ll still wield that cudgel. Because when THEY do it, they’ll have a different word for it.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 07-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
I know, but they keep using that phrase as a cudgel against the left, so I was just clarifying that they will no longer be doing that?
Of course. They also use "Sharia Law", the epitome of conservative values, as a cudgel against the left.

Makes no sense.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
WH Counselor Kellyanne Conway to reporter Andrew Feinberg who asked about Trump's racist tweets: "What's your ethnicity?"

(video) https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/11...110351873?s=19
Personally, I'm more appalled at the ignorance and utter stupidity of Trump's tweetstorm than the racism. Trump is more willfully ignorant than the most backwoods hermit and utterly incapable of learning, and yet is surrounded by infinite sources of knowledge. He managed to get elected on pure bluster, so as far as he's concerned, he can stay as dumb as a doorknob and still be president. As long as spineless Repubs keep voting the party line for fear of losing their own re-election bids, he doesn't need to raise his IQ by a single point, even if it does double it.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:02 AM

"When you're a celebrity they let you do it. I don't even ask."

This morning NBC released a 1992 video showing Trump and Epstein ogling women and laughing at Mar-a-Lago. At one point in the video, Trump grabs a passing woman around the waist and pats her butt.

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/stat...949129728?s=19

Hey Trump supporters! Would you want you daughter to be alone with this man?
Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 AM
SDSAB

I suspect many of them would be flattered to have a daughter groped by this particular POTUS.

Thirteen lies in a single Cabinet meeting rant - impressive!: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/polit...ing/index.html
Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Hey, just a quick head's up to inform y'alls that the concentration camps, which weren't heinous enough, are now Reverse Sophie's Choice-compliant. So that's a thing that happens and is most assuredly a good and necessary thing because those people have committed a CRIME, don't you know.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Hey, just a quick head's up to inform y'alls that the concentration camps, which weren't heinous enough, are now Reverse Sophie's Choice-compliant. So that's a thing that happens and is most assuredly a good and necessary thing because those people have committed a CRIME, don't you know.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Oh, you poor country mouse. Of course they’ll still wield that cudgel. Because when THEY do it, they’ll have a different word for it.
It's like judicial activism. When conservative judges do it, they call it something else.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
In fairness, we don't know that this applies to all children and not just those who are actually named Sofi. Although, I do shudder to think what will happen when Officer Solomon comes across a child with two mommies.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
In fairness, we don't know that this applies to all children and not just those who are actually named Sofi. Although, I do shudder to think what will happen when Officer Solomon comes across a child with two mommies.

Heh, I hadn't even twigged that the kid's name was Sofia. This is too perfectly awful.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
<Trump supporter> Hey, no problem. I mean, those were Hondurans, right? It's not like they are the same as us, and have actual feelings. I mean, when you take a calf away from it's mother, they both pretty much forget about it the same day. Same thing with Hondurans.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:04 PM

Sure he does.

Trump seeks to disavow ‘send her back’ chant at his rally

Quote:
The morning after chants of “Send her back” rang across one of his campaign rallies, President Trump sought to disavow it, insisting that he “was not happy with it.”
Trump made no effort to stop the chanting during his rally in North Carolina on Wednesday night.

His apparent turnaround came after a growing number of Republican congressional leaders criticized the chant, but sought to put distance between the crowd and the president.

“Those chants have no place in our party or our country,”House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy of Bakersfield told reporters.

Later, at a news conference, McCarthy avoided repeating his criticism and defended Trump, saying that “the president did not join in” the chanting. “The president moved on.”
The chant lasted about 12 seconds, and Trump did absolutely nothing to stop it.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 PM

What was he supposed to do, show honor and integrity?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrnRU3ocIH4
Old 07-18-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Sure he does.

Trump seeks to disavow ‘send her back’ chant at his rally
The chant lasted about 12 seconds, and Trump did absolutely nothing to stop it.
You can see him give a little nod while they're chanting.

McCarthy's "defense" (that Trump didn't join in) is utterly inane. Trump never joins in the chants. Doesn't matter if they're "lock her up" or any other hateful thing. He just stands there doing his best Mussolini impression, chest out, gazing around.

Interesting that Trump caved on this, though. Someone with power must have told him to do so. (A Koch? A Vlad? Hmmm......)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:27 PM
SDSAB

Maybe his wife had a little private chat with him. She and her parents don't want to have to go back to their country of origin.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
You can see him give a little nod while they're chanting.

McCarthy's "defense" (that Trump didn't join in) is utterly inane. Trump never joins in the chants.

Of course he doesn't join in. When has the deity ever joined in the worship of itself? Anyway, he's encouraging vile behavior. I guess that's an improvement over the beginning of his endless round of campaign rallys, when he started the vile chanting.

Quote:
Doesn't matter if they're "lock her up" or any other hateful thing. He just stands there doing his best Mussolini impression, chest out, gazing around.

You mean being smarmy.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Maybe his wife had a little private chat with him. She and her parents don't want to have to go back to their country of origin.

Maybe they can stay here and convince him to go back to their country of origin!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:10 AM

The soap opera Days of Our Lives has been running a story line about a Chinese girl who's in the country illegally. The right wing candidate for mayor based his campaign on getting her out of the country. At one of his rallies, his supporters chanted "Send her back". Not only were those scenes shown two months ago, but Days of Our Lives shoots eight months in advance, so the story was being shot almost a year ago.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
The soap opera Days of Our Lives has been running a story line about a Chinese girl who's in the country illegally. The right wing candidate for mayor based his campaign on getting her out of the country. At one of his rallies, his supporters chanted "Send her back". Not only were those scenes shown two months ago, but Days of Our Lives shoots eight months in advance, so the story was being shot almost a year ago.
Sorry. I’m googling this but coming up empty. Is this a whoosh?

It’s certainly not far fetched. We’ve had alien babies and deportation issues on every soap. Where are Jessica and Mary when needed??!?!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
"Almost a year ago"? Piffle!

1950s Western Predicted a Border Wall From a Fictional Con Man Named Trump

Last edited by Steve MB; 07-19-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:51 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

You mean being smarmy.
Sherrerd never said it was a good imitation.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Sorry. I’m googling this but coming up empty. Is this a whoosh?

It’s certainly not far fetched. We’ve had alien babies and deportation issues on every soap. Where are Jessica and Mary when needed??!?!
I don't understand what you're asking.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Of course he doesn't join in. When has the deity ever joined in the worship of itself?
That's right, and it's so obvious that I can't understand why McCarthy thought his "defense" would work. But then Trump fans don't need actual logic, when called on to explain why The Idiot has done any particular thing---just 'something to say.' A nonsensical rationale serves just as well as a reasonable one.

Quote:
You mean being smarmy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Sherrerd never said it was a good imitation.
I've always thought Mussolini was kind of smarmy. But maybe that's because I fail to appreciate the nuances of Italian.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 07-19-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Trump probably thinks smarmy is that meat stuff that gets rolled up in flatbread. Kinda like eeyore.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 AM

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status...79015576784896

'They killed my mom and my six brothers'

Trump: 'Where are they now?'

'They're dead'

To be fair, I think he just didn't really understand what she had said, BECAUSE HE WASN'T REALLY LISTENING, but as the rest of the video shows, he is an embarrassment.

Last edited by not what you'd expect; 07-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 AM
SDSAB

Just wrote this to my Republican US senator, for all the good it'll do:

Your silence since President Trump's latest attack on your fellow members of Congress is deafening. I urge you, I beg you, to finally have the courage to stand up to the President's racism, bullying and corruption.

I just can’t understand what has become of the Republican Party today. Can you imagine George W. Bush saying of four members of Congress, three of whom were born in the U.S. and one of whom had been a refugee who became a naturalized U.S. citizen, "Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested [sic] places from which they came"?

Can you imagine George H.W. Bush attacking the free press as an "enemy of the people"?

Can you imagine Ronald Reagan, time after time, siding with foreign tyrants over the leaders of allied democracies, and over those who lead his own intelligence services?

Can you imagine Gerald Ford praising white supremacists or, even worse, criticizing American prisoners of war?

Can you imagine Dwight D. Eisenhower ordering the separation of immigrant children from their parents for days, weeks and months on end, and then being utterly unconcerned when some died in U.S. custody?

Can you imagine Theodore Roosevelt lying or exaggerating thirteen times in a single Cabinet meeting?

Can you imagine William Howard Taft refusing to disclose the finances of businesses he owned and which received large payments from other countries?

Can you imagine Abraham Lincoln insisting that five young black men who had already been exonerated by the courts still ought to have been executed?

I know I can't, not for a second.

What the President is doing is not right, and it is not normal, and it is unworthy of a great republic. The eyes of history will be upon you. Stand up now, please, and show some guts.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Your silence since President Trump's latest attack on your fellow members of Congress is deafening. I urge you, I beg you, to finally have the courage to stand up to the President's racism, bullying and corruption.

I just can’t understand what has become of the Republican Party today. Can you imagine George W. Bush saying of four members of Congress, three of whom were born in the U.S. and one of whom had been a refugee who became a naturalized U.S. citizen, "Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested [sic] places from which they came"?

Can you imagine George H.W. Bush attacking the free press as an "enemy of the people"?

Can you imagine Ronald Reagan, time after time, siding with foreign tyrants over the leaders of allied democracies, and over those who lead his own intelligence services?

Can you imagine Gerald Ford praising white supremacists or, even worse, criticizing American prisoners of war?

Can you imagine Dwight D. Eisenhower ordering the separation of immigrant children from their parents for days, weeks and months on end, and then being utterly unconcerned when some died in U.S. custody?

Can you imagine Theodore Roosevelt lying or exaggerating thirteen times in a single Cabinet meeting?

Can you imagine William Howard Taft refusing to disclose the finances of businesses he owned and which received large payments from other countries?

Can you imagine Abraham Lincoln insisting that five young black men who had already been exonerated by the courts still ought to have been executed?

What the President is doing is not right, and it is not normal, and it is unworthy of a great republic. The eyes of history will be upon you. Stand up now, please, and show some guts.
It's very simple. In 1980, Republicans were annoyed by a lot of things. They voted for Reagan, and somehow, that didn't fix everything. So they got mad and voted for George H.W. Bush. That didn't work either, so they got angry and voted for George W. Bush. He didn't make the country perfect, so they got furious and voted for Trump. This feedback loop will continue until something blows, even if it mean destroying the whole apparatus of the nation.

What do you want Republicans to do as an alternative, admit they've been wrong?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

You didn’t put in an example for Nixon. Is there supposed to be something the matter with Nixon, or something?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
It's very simple. In 1980, Republicans were annoyed by a lot of things. They voted for Reagan, and somehow, that didn't fix everything. So they got mad and voted for George H.W. Bush. That didn't work either, so they got angry and voted for George W. Bush. He didn't make the country perfect, so they got furious and voted for Trump. This feedback loop will continue until something blows, even if it mean destroying the whole apparatus of the nation.

What do you want Republicans to do as an alternative, admit they've been wrong?
You COULD be missing the point of their strategy. It might be that all along they’ve been aiming for the destruction of civilization, confident in the knowledge that when the dust settles, THEY’LL still be standing, ready to rebuild it all from scratch, according to THEIR image of a well-conceived civilization.

And, true to their conservative principles, they’ve been choosing as their standard bearers the candidates who represented the SMALLEST step downward from the last one.

*(obligatory nod to the power of Poe)
Old 07-20-2019, 12:03 PM

I'm still not over the "send her back to her country" comments.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You COULD be missing the point of their strategy. It might be that all along they’ve been aiming for the destruction of civilization, confident in the knowledge that when the dust settles, THEY’LL still be standing, ready to rebuild it all from scratch, according to THEIR image of a well-conceived civilization.
I'm not sure why you use the phrase "it might be"; that's been their explicit goal for decades now. My cite is the words and works of Grover Norquist, Ronald Reagan, Jack Abramoff, Newt Gingrich and countless other Republicans. For instance:
Quote:
Norquist favors dramatically reducing the size of government.[13] He has been noted for his widely quoted quip:

I'm not in favor of abolishing the government. I just want to shrink it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub."[55]

Journalist William Greider quotes him saying his goal is to bring America back to what it was "up until Teddy Roosevelt, when the socialists took over. The income tax, the death tax, regulation, all that."[56] When asked by journalist Steven Kroft about the goal of chopping government "in half and then shrink it again to where we were at the turn of the [20th] century" before Social Security and Medicare, Norquist replied, "We functioned in this country with government at eight percent of GDP for a long time and quite well."[4]

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-20-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

The “drowning in a bathtub” plan is the small potatoes version of what I’m postulating: the utter destruction of Western civilization (it’s not realistic to suppose that if the USA alone were destroyed, the rest of the world would restrain themselves from feasting on her remains; you’d need to bring down the whole thing).

I wonder what the current state of the mineshaft gap is?
Old 07-20-2019, 04:11 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...I wonder what the current state of the mineshaft gap is?
"I'm not saying we won't get our hair mussed, Mr. President...."
Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 PM

Mike Pence claims he and Individual 1 were both unhappy about the "send her back" chant
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/1790045001/

But Individual 1 retweeted right wing racist Katie Tompkins, who in the past has called immigrants "cockroaches". And the Tweet he retweeted?
Quote:
New Campaign slogan for #2020?

“Don’t love it? Leave it!”

Send her back is the new lock her up.

Well done to #TeamTrump
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-defen...called-1450323

So, doesn't sound like he's particularly offended.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:03 AM

Nitpick: Katie Hopkins, not Tompkins. Hopkins is one of those thoroughly vile individuals who believes that when she says something monstrous about other people - up to and including wishing horrific deaths on them - that's just her "telling it like it is", but any criticism of her, no matter how mild, is "persecution".

Last edited by Gyrate; 07-22-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The “drowning in a bathtub” plan is the small potatoes version of what I’m postulating: the utter destruction of Western civilization [snip]
Doesn't Trump think this means LA and SF in California? I imagine Trump's all for that.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM
SDSAB

Does Psalm 52 remind you of anybody in American politics today...?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...52&version=NIV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_52
Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Does Psalm 52 remind you of anybody in American politics today...?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...52&version=NIV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_52
The King James version has "pluck thee out of thy dwelling place" instead of the NIV's "pluck you from your tent"--it's tough to picture 45 in a tent. ^_^

But, yeah. "Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying more than to speak righteousness."

Tailor-made. "This is the man that ... trusted in the abundance of his riches, and strengthened himself in his wickedness."
Old 07-25-2019, 02:36 PM
SDSAB

Trump gets trolled, it appears, with an insulting variant on the presidential seal: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...lubs/23778279/
Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 AM

Trump tells 9/11 First Responders "I was down there also"

Quote:
“I spent a lot of time down there with you,” the president added, appearing to suggest without evidence that he participated in either rescue efforts or surveying the damage after the attacks.
This guy is completely unhinged.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Jon Stewart should have called him out on that as soon as the words left his mouth. But he didn't, and so now we have to live with knowing that Trump has claimed and will claim to have been at Ground Zero, and many people will believe him and defend the claim.

We cannot let this man get away with anything; CALL HIM OUT!
Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Jon Stewart should have called him out on that as soon as the words left his mouth. But he didn't, and so now we have to live with knowing that Trump has claimed and will claim to have been at Ground Zero, and many people will believe him and defend the claim.
We cannot let this man get away with anything; CALL HIM OUT!
It's a massively offensive claim. There's a name for this sort of nasty fakery: stolen valor.

Today's speech to actual 9-11 responders was the occasion for revisiting some of Trump's other questionable claims:

Quote:
"Everyone who helped clear the rubble -- and I was there, and I watched, and I helped a little bit -- but I want to tell you: Those people were amazing," Trump said in a speech in Buffalo in 2016. "Clearing the rubble. Trying to find additional lives. You didn't know what was going to come down on all of us -- and they handled it."

He has also claimed that he helped pay for several hundred workers to help clean up the wreckage in the aftermath of 9/11. Independent fact-check sites have been unable to verify that claim.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/polit...ers/index.html

Vox's article, out today, has an even blunter title: "Trump commemorates 9/11 first responders by making it all about him."

Quote:
Snopes investigated Trump’s 2016 claim by speaking to officials from the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) and construction demolitions experts who were at Ground Zero in the hours and days after the 9/11 attacks. Nobody could recall even seeing Trump at the site. Snopes also details how Trump has a history of exaggerating the role his company played in the recovery efforts.

During a 2015 rally, Trump claimed he watched the 9/11 attacks from a window in Trump Tower.

“Many people jumped and I witnessed it, I watched that,” he said.

There’s just one problem — Trump Tower is more than four miles away from ground zero, so that claim too appears to be an exaggeration at best.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...sponders-event
Old 07-29-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
It's impressive how on 9/11 he was simultaneously down there as a first responder, watching Muslims celebrate the destruction of the towers and being interviewed on the news bragging that he owned the tallest building now.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
It's a massively offensive claim. There's a name for this sort of nasty fakery: stolen valor.

Stolen valor? Trump? Never! Why, he's the mostest bestest lover of America's heroes ever, didn't you know?

On a serious note: every damn day, that cretin shows that there is no bar too low for him to slither under.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Stolen valor? Trump? Never! Why, he's the mostest bestest lover of America's heroes ever, didn't you know?

On a serious note: every damn day, that cretin shows that there is no bar too low for him to slither under.
And this slime-creature has designs on fascist power, as has been demonstrated time and again.

It may be a completely-unrelated coincidence that one of the first hits that come up with a search of "stolen valor," "Trump," "claim," and "9-11", apparently just isn't there:

Quote:
Trump Lied About 9/11 Donations, Took $150K From Recovery Program
https://talkingpointsmemo.com › News › DC
Sep 11, 2018 - Immediately after the 9/11 attacks, Trump incorrectly claimed that his 40 Wall Street building was the tallest in the city following the fall of the ...
That search result is the sixth from the top of the list. Clicking on it does get a talkingpointsmemo.com page URL, but a blank page:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/tru...covery-program

Here's a page you get to when you search "Trump lied about 9-11" at the TPM site itself; the article is second down. And, again, you get a blank page when you click on it:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/search...ied+about+9-11

Maybe it's just me. Here's the information on the article from that second page:
Quote:
Trump Lied About 9/11 Donations, Took $150K From Recovery Program
By Cameron Joseph | September 11, 2018 11:51 am
.... Obviously I'm not claiming that slime-creature Trump is smart enough to be removing results from the Internet. But he does have some people working for him who could probably manage it.

But...yeah, could be just a coincidence. Hope we don't start seeing a lot of missing search results as time goes on, though.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
It's impressive how on 9/11 he was simultaneously down there as a first responder, watching Muslims celebrate the destruction of the towers and being interviewed on the news bragging that he owned the tallest building now.
And even before that, Trump helped the troops in the Revolutionary War take the airports. Trump doesn't like to brag, so not many people know that.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:45 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
And even before that, Trump helped the troops in the Revolutionary War take the airports. Trump doesn't like to brag, so not many people know that.
Even then, George Washington knew that Trump would be the greatest President.