Old 10-14-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Wasn't the National Mall created specifically so people could go there to air grievances w/ governement ?
Not as far as I know, but that's definitely been one of its recognized functions in recent years.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:51 AM

Trump's take on the murder of 'It" by the Saudis in Turkey meant nothing to him yesterday.
Today he's done a 180° flip, and pretending to be all concerned, but not in any meaningful way.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Turkey releases an American Pastor they've been holding for 2 years. Pastor with his wife meets with Trump to pray, because Trump is all about the heartfelt prayer. (Right Christians?) Chief Dipshit Baby wants to know...just one more thing: Who did you guys vote for?
https://www.vox.com/2018/10/13/17973...ed-turkey-vote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 AM

Trump on climate change: "I think something’s happening. Something’s changing and it’ll change back again”.

Okay, folks, nothing to worry about then.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Painting of thump with past Pubbie presidents. You must follow the link and see this painting if you haven't already. My mind is completely blown.
Quote:
President Donald Trump liked a painting of him having drinks with Abraham Lincoln, Richard Nixon and Teddy Roosevelt so much that he called the artist on the phone and then put a print of it in the White House.
Called “The Republican Club,” the print of 10 Republican presidents sitting around a table could be seen briefly in the background of Trump’s interview with “60 Minutes” Sunday, and an image of that moment went viral on social media.....
The likenesses are good, but I swear, this is one step above (or below) the dogs playing poker. Apologies to the dogs.

I want to put a thought balloon over each head that reveal that president's thoughts.
Lincoln: "Who is this clown?'
Nixon: "Stop trying to top Watergate!"
Eisenhower: "So this is the famous Cadet Bone Spurs, eh? I'd like to take my spurs to him."

Somebody make it stop...
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM

One of the most ridiculous aspects of that story is that he hung a print of the painting in the White House. Couldn't even be bothered to get the original.

In the painting, he must be swapping war stories with Ike and Teddy Roosevelt. I presume he's also telling Lincoln how a lot of people don't know he was a Republican.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
...In the painting, he must be swapping war stories with Ike and Teddy Roosevelt...
More likely, golf stories.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Nixon is sitting there with one of the only drinks that seems to unambiguously be alcohol. Roosevelt next to him looks like he is about to mount the summit of that table. Then there's thump with an ice cold serving of his 11th Diet Coke that day.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

If you look close, I think it is a puzzle.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Caption it. What did Lincoln say that was so funny?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Caption it. What did Lincoln say that was so funny?
"I'm a Republican. Wait, you guys are too?"
Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
If you look close, I think it is a puzzle.

Yep. The puzzle is "How the fuck is that orange clown included with real presidents?"
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Eisenhower: "So this is the famous Cadet Bone Spurs, eh? I'd like to take my spurs to him."

This.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Painting of thump with past Pubbie presidents. You must follow the link and see this painting if you haven't already. My mind is completely blown.

The likenesses are good, but I swear, this is one step above (or below) the dogs playing poker. Apologies to the dogs.

I want to put a thought balloon over each head that reveal that president's thoughts.

Somebody make it stop...
Dubya looks real giddy not to be The Dumb One any more !

EDIT : I also love the fact that while everybody is smiling or laughing whole-heartedly, Trump has that awkward half-smirk like he's either not really understood the joke, or he's trying to pass for confident while is mind is screaming "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOIIIIING ?!!"

Last edited by Kobal2; 10-15-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM

The liar-in-chief said back in July that he'd donate a million bucks to the charity of Elizabeth Warren's choice if a DNA test proved she's an Indian. She has done so, the test shows native American ancestry, and he denies he said it.

Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange liar
I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Warren
By the way, @realDonaldTrump: Remember saying on 7/5 that you’d give $1M to a charity of my choice if my DNA showed Native American ancestry? I remember – and here's the verdict. Please send the check to the National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center.
Today's quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange liar
I didn't say that. You better read it again.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

From his interview on 60 Minutes:

Quote:
Lesley Stahl: But you seem to be saying that she lied.

President Donald Trump: W-- you know what? I'm not gonna get into it because we won. It doesn't matter. We won.
It doesn't matter. We won.

*sigh*
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 AM
SDSAB

Trump's got a long history of promising donations and then either not making them, or donating less than he said he would.

In the painting, is Trump holding something in his left hand? Or is he partly turned in his chair, and that's the edge of the backrest?

There are Democratic versions of the painting, too, BTW:

https://americangallery.files.wordpr...ying-poker.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_Ucdznm_J...-galleries.jpg
https://sep.yimg.com/ay/elegant-hors...-edition-9.gif
Old 10-15-2018, 11:48 AM

But only this nekul'turnyye svin'i would think of hanging such obvious kitsch in the White House.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
But only this nekul'turnyye svin'i would think of hanging such obvious kitsch in the White House.
I guess the next thing is a painting of Kanye on black velvet for the Oval Office?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I guess the next thing is a painting of Kanye on black velvet for the Oval Office?
Look at the tiger next to him! You can see all the whiskers! Now that iscart.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Trump's got a long history of promising donations and then either not making them, or donating less than he said he would.

In the painting, is Trump holding something in his left hand? Or is he partly turned in his chair, and that's the edge of the backrest?

There are Democratic versions of the painting, too, BTW:

https://americangallery.files.wordpr...ying-poker.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Y_Ucdznm_J...-galleries.jpg
https://sep.yimg.com/ay/elegant-hors...-edition-9.gif
The poker one is interesting, albeit awful. IIRC, Truman was an avid and very good poker player. ISTR a story about Truman and Churchill taking a train to Missouri, where Churchill would deliver his Iron Curtain speech, and the two men passing the time with booze-fueled poker showdowns. Anyway, fine poker player he may have been, but Jackson is sitting there with a gun and a short temper, so I'm guessing he came away the winner.

ETA: Kennedy is sitting out the hand because it's not strip poker. Johnson is waiting for a literal dick-measuring contest to start.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 10-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
The liar-in-chief said back in July that he'd donate a million bucks to the charity of Elizabeth Warren's choice if a DNA test proved she's an Indian. She has done so, the test shows native American ancestry, and he denies he said it.

Link.

Today's quote:
I can kind of see his point here. He said "if she's an Indian," not "if she has negligible Native ancestry."
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM

I can see his point too -- it was, "I'm going to bullshit her while I troll and make myself like a big man with a million dollar offer but when push comes to shove I ain't gonna do shit."

I think he's probably had that made into rubber stamp.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Breibart is saying that she isn’t all THAT much Native American. So Turmp WINS!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

This story is from April 2016, and quotes stuff Trump said back in 2005, but I missed it at the time on both counts:
Quote:
"Do you actually change diapers?" host Anthony Cumia asked Donald Trump on the Opie and Anthony show in November 2005.

The then-59-year-old businessman, whose wife Melania was pregnant with his fifth child and her first, responded bluntly: "No, I don't do that."

"There's a lot of women out there that demand that the husband act like the wife, and you know, there's a lot of husbands that listen to that," Trump added. "So you know, they go for it."
As one person said at the time in comments, "Donald Trump and babies’ diapers have one thing in common, they’re both full of shit."

Speaking as a father, Trump can go fuck himself, preferably with rusty farm implements. Like a combine, maybe.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Trump can go fuck himself, preferably with rusty farm implements. Like a combine, maybe.
I would prefer that he use an old rototiller, like this one.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:02 PM

Someone fixed Donald and friends painting. Not quite positive who the fellows standing on either side of Hitler are? Duvalier? Amin?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Someone fixed Donald and friends painting. Not quite positive who the fellows standing on either side of Hitler are? Duvalier? Amin?
I think that's Duterte of the Philippines on the left and Mussolini on the right.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Nixon, Reagan, and the Bushes erased, yet they left Coolidge in.

I despise Silent Cal as much as the next guy, but that seems like unnecessarily harsh treatment.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Nixon, Reagan, and the Bushes erased, yet they left Coolidge in.

I despise Silent Cal as much as the next guy, but that seems like unnecessarily harsh treatment.
If he was unhappy, he should have said something.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I think that's Duterte of the Philippines on the left and Mussolini on the right.
Thanks, I wouldn't have guessed Duterte. I guess it's appropriate that Il Duce is next to El Douche.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:20 AM

Is that Jack Chick winking at the painting's viewer?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
...In the painting, is Trump holding something in his left hand? Or is he partly turned in his chair, and that's the edge of the backrest?....
Hmm?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I wouldn't have guessed Duterte. I guess it's appropriate that Il Duce is next to El Douche.
For a moment there I thought this was an unexpectedly placed Mentors reference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQ3KX9A6A4
Old 10-16-2018, 01:25 PM
SDSAB

Trump, exulting over the dismissal of her lawsuit, calls Stormy Daniels "Horseface": https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...suit/23562755/

Stay classy, Mr. President.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
It's the one in the bottom left I'm unsure of. Looks kind of like Mao, but a portrait from when he was older would be more easily recognized, and I can't imagine it's just because of positioning, since Satan's neck is doing a 170 turn.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 10-16-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
It's the one in the bottom left I'm unsure of. Looks kind of like Mao, but a portrait from when he was older would be more easily recognized, and I can't imagine it's just because of positioning, since Satan's neck is doing a 170 turn.

I'm sure it's supposed to be Chairman Mao, and the style is very reminiscent of Chicom propaganda posters from the 60s, but I can't really pinpoint the source (they printed so many of these fucking things...)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Uh, yeah, sure....

Quote:
AP: On the subject of American soldiers and military overseas, why have you not yet visited a military base in a combat zone like in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Trump: Well, I will do that at some point, but I don’t think it's overly necessary. I've been very busy with everything that's taking place here.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 PM

"Very busy" playing record amounts of Presidential golf, for example.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
The fact that there's a website devoted to shit like this...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
The fact that there's a website devoted to shit like this...
As the website notes, Trump absolutely asked for it:

Quote:
"I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to go play golf." --Donald J. Trump, August, 2016

Our President made a promise to the American people. Here we track his fulfillment of that promise.
Donald Trump spent much of the Obama Administration snarking on the President and his family for golf outings, vacations, and the associated costs to the taxpayers. Now that Trump's own Presidential leisure excursions are proving to be far more frequent and costly than Obama's (for instance, in less than two years he's taken nearly half as many golf trips as Obama did in his entire eight-year time in office), he has nobody but himself to blame if he gets mocked for his hypocrisy and lies.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I guess those pesky bone spurs are in remission as long as he stays clear of war zones.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 AM

President Comacho was in Missoula yesterday. I was reading the local paper this morning and I learned this is his THIRD maga rally in MT in the last 4 months.

a) Remember when people used to complain about Obama golfing occasionally? If you add up all the time Comacho golfs and rallies, you are left with single-digit number of days left for presidentin' (that's probably a good thing).

b) MT gets a grand total of ONE representative in the House (that's out of 435), but 2 Senators. This isn't really related to Comacho beyond pointing out the importance of converting that one blue seat to red for him. I think each senator in that state represents about 500 humans, several million sheep, and a couple billion pronghorn. Also a shitload of oil, coal and minerals.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
President Comacho was in Missoula yesterday.
At that rally, Trump sang the praises of Representative Greg Gianforte, who was caught on audio body-slamming a reporter last year right before a special election to fill the Montana House seat. Gianforte won the election but later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault.

Trump said

Quote:
“Any guy that can do a body slam, he’s my kind of guy,” Trump said at the event as supporters cheered him on. “I had heard that he body-slammed a reporter ... and he was way up, and I said, ‘Oh, this is terrible, he’s going to lose the election.’ Then I said, ‘I know Montana pretty well,’ and I said I think it might help him. And it did.”
Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM

His name is Gianforte? Doesn't that mean "John the Loud"? Ah, the poetry of coincidence
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
At that rally, Trump sang the praises of Representative Greg Gianforte, who was caught on audio body-slamming a reporter last year right before a special election to fill the Montana House seat. Gianforte won the election but later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault.
It's not so much him doing that (he has praised him before), but doing so when the controversy over Khashoggi murder (and it seems likely that murder it was) is still in the news, is remarkably tone-deaf, even for Trump.

Still, it'll play well in Montana. More's the pity.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
It's not so much him doing that (he has praised him before), but doing so when the controversy over Khashoggi murder (and it seems likely that murder it was) is still in the news, is remarkably tone-deaf, even for Trump.

Still, it'll play well in Montana. More's the pity.
My bold.

There's another phrase that has become meaningless: "even for Trump."
Old 10-19-2018, 01:28 PM
SDSAB

Nothing he does surprises me anymore. Nothing.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Nothing he does surprises me anymore. Nothing.

I wish the stupid twerp would do nothing. That would be a blame sight better than the something he actually does.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post

Trump said
I took one for the team and actually skimmed the entire hour-long speech to find that quote.