Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Pork chop question

So I marinated some pork chops and put them in the refrigerator. I didnít get to cook them tonight. How long can I keep them in the marinade in the fridge without cooking?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:05 PM

The biggest issue with the marinade would be how strongly flavored it was. A milder one? You could leave them in there until you cook them, presumably tomorrow or the next day. A stronger one? You'd probably want to drain the marinade.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

If the marinade is salty, the meat will firm up and perhaps become somewhat 'hammy' textured. Same if it's acidic. Neither is likely enough to leave the pork inedible.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
If the marinade is salty, the meat will firm up and perhaps become somewhat 'hammy' textured. Same if it's acidic. Neither is likely enough to leave the pork inedible.
Yeah, the saltiness will cause it to basically become a "cure" more than a marinade.

That said, there are people who marinate their chops and chicken and steak and whatnot in Italian dressing or whatever for 24 hours or more and enjoy it, so I suspect you'll be fine. Typically, though, for chops I don't go with anything longer than about a two-hour marinade. The texture does change with a long marinade, but it'll still be fine to eat.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-20-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:18 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
Yeah itís more acidic than salty
Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM

acidic marinades won't penetrate the meat more than a mm or two (brines are a different story.) it might alter the surface texture more the longer it sits in there, but I doubt it'll be a problem.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Yeah itís more acidic than salty
Mmm... Pork ceviche!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:44 PM

We marinated some boneless pork chops with a lime based marinade, but didn't get a chance to cook them before we left on vacation. We were gone for 10 days, and the meat smelled fine when we took it out of the sealed container. I was very unsure of eating the pork, but I baked it in the oven until the internal temp was ~155F and let it rest for a few minutes afterward. It was still tender and juicy, and I'm not dead yet.