Old 03-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Terry Pratchett OKs Night Watch TV Series

Story here.

I have to say, I was not terribly enamored of "The Colour of Magic" nor "Hogfather," although I don't think they were truly awful. Still, I look forward to checking this out via whatever means I will need to employ from the US.

Shall we start casting now?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM

Yes!
I wasn't particularily thrilled with either film either, but I've always thought that the City Watch books would have been the most filmable, and wondered why they didn't just start with them. I'll also be watching, however I can.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Wow. That's.....not good news at all. They will surely fuck it up in a myriad of ways.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM

How about Jamie Bamber as Carrot?
As for Angua... is Billie Piper still doing that series about the prostitute?
And why not James Nesbitt as Vimes?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM

I feel kind of sorry for whoever ends up playing Nobby.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Siete View Post
I think that the last series has been filmed. But in my mind Angua should be a tall women and Billie comes in at 5'5" (according to IMDB).
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM

A bit out of left field, but it might work: Anthony Stewart Head as Vimes.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
How about Jamie Bamber as Carrot?
And why not James Nesbitt as Vimes?
Good choices all. But unless they have some great CGI, Detritus is going to be MIA.

Brad Dourif could probably essay a good Nobby. Mark Addy as Colon?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I could see Lee Evans as Nobby.

But they will probably cast with relative unknowns, like they have for the films.

Incidentally, the cast they chose for the most recent, Going Postal, was excellent. Angua was in that one.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM

You know that commercial <for what, I'm still not sure...Windows, maybe> where the couple is stuck at the airport and the husband looks up and brainstorms "To the cloud!"?

Every time I see that I think he would be a good Carrot.

And yep, it's Windows 7; the commercial's on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lel3swo4RMc

Anyone else see it, or is it just me? The possibilities, I mean.
For the record, I haven't been influenced by much beyond my own imagination as far as what the characters all look like. To me, the glimpses I had of Angua in the movie previously mentioned didn't really do it for me.
But for some reason, this guy screams 'CARROT!'
Though he probably looks different than what Pratchett might have meant.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Carrot is supposed to be like a redheaded Captain Awesome (from Chuck). Broad shouldered, narrow hips, i.e. shaped like a carrot.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM

Pratchett's books are good because the writing is funny, not because the plots are particularly hilarious or compelling. So I don't think a film version is ever going to capture whats memorable about the books.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:18 PM

Wow.

I loved SkyOne's Hogfather, and Colour of Magic was pretty good, too. I thought the guy they got to play Nobby in Hogfather was as perfect as you could possibly get; hell, with the possible exception of Susan I thought the casting in Hogfather was absolutely dead on, and the atmosphere was perfect.

Now, that was SkyOne, so I don't know what Prime Focus would do with it. But it can be done well IMO.

Last edited by Bosstone; 03-19-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

That picture GuanoLad linked doesn't look at all like my mental image of Angua. For one thing, I expected her hair to be much more bodied, rather than just hanging straight and limp like that. And maybe it's just the lighting in that scene, but she's awfully pale.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That picture GuanoLad linked doesn't look at all like my mental image of Angua.
They went with a Norse actress (with augmented wolfen eyes), even though Überwald is based on eastern Europe.

Still, everyone has different ideas of what the characters look like. I tend towards the Paul Kidby approach most of the time.

By the way, how about Danny Webb for Vimes?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

John Candy would have been a superb Sergeant Colon.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Going Postal was very well done. My mental picture of Vetinari has changed forever, and for the better.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

He might be a bit too young and a bit too goofy looking, but maybe Rupert Grint could play Carrot.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Jason Statham in a wig?

No?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 PM

I think the best suggestions I've seen from other web sites are:

Brendan Fraser as Carrot. It'll never happen, but he's got that goofy, boyish earnest thing going on, besides being very tall and imposing without being brutish.

Michael Hogan as Vimes. My only gripe would be that I think he's a little too old, but if Saul Tigh was any indication, the man can do complex, layered, surly-with-a-good-heart like nobody's business.

I also really liked Jeremy Irons as Vetinari. The voice alone is excellent; it's just so silky smooth and seductive, yet he can make it sharp and dangerous in an instant when he needs to.

Angua's tough. Seems to me she needs to be long and lean and fit, with an undercurrent of danger, yet still feminine. Lena Heady, maybe?

Nick Frost as Colon?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPWombat View Post
John Candy would have been a superb Sergeant Colon.
I dunno, Candy had great personal charisma and stature. Colon's probably the easiest role to fill; any comfortably doughy actor who could be tapped to play a stereotypical Irish cop would do the trick. Or go the other way and capitalize on Colon's freewheeling with facts when talking to Nobby and hire John Ratzenberger.

Though to be honest, if the series is portraying the events of Night Watch specifically, Colon's pretty young for most of it.

For Vimes/Keel, I think in the end they'll need a British actor who looks more like Peter Falk than anything, but I've always liked Nathan Fillion for him. Especially lately, he's begun to show signs of aging comfortably.

On preview:

I think Brendan Fraser is about the best you could possibly do for Carrot, too.

Michael Hogan is far too old. Vimes is in his 30s as of Night Watch, early 40s at latest.

Jeremy Irons is utterly perfect for Vetinari.

Nick Frost would work well for a young Colon, absolutely. Of course, then you'd have to squeeze Simon Pegg in somewhere, which I wouldn't mind at all. Coates, possibly?

Last edited by Bosstone; 03-19-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM

If only there was a way to get Steve Buscemi onboard as Nobby Nobbs...
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Oh, and James Marsters as Carcer.

Hmm, on rereading the article it doesn't look like it's Night Watch specifically, just a general show about the City Watch. Bah.

Last edited by Bosstone; 03-19-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Though to be honest, if the series is portraying the events of Night Watch specifically ....
It isn't. It's not an adaptation of one of the books. It's a weekly series with all new stories.

My guess, though, is that it'll spend years in development hell, and never get made.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Please stop suggesting Americans for the roles. It's doing my head in.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 PM

Quick, who's the U.K. equivalent of Steve Buscemi? Nobbs has trouble proving he's human, and you want him to be British?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Vimes is described as being tall, slim and glum. I'm thinking Nicholas Lyndhurst.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

The reason Nobby can't prove he's human is because he's as short as a dwarf, not just because he's a bit weird and creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Vimes is described as being tall, slim and glum. I'm thinking Nicholas Lyndhurst.
How about Jack Dee?

Last edited by GuanoLad; 03-19-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
How about Jack Dee?
Too short, and too sarcastic. Maybe he'd be right for The Patrician.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Huh? Vimes is a deeply cynical character, as is Jack Dee (not sarcastic), and there is no description anywhere of Vimes's height.

The Patrician, on the other hand, is nothing like Jack Dee, neither sarcastic nor depressive, and was perfectly played by Charles Dance in Going Postal, despite being ginger.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The Patrician, on the other hand, is nothing like Jack Dee, neither sarcastic nor depressive, and was perfectly played by Charles Dance in Going Postal, despite being ginger.
I'd always pictured someone more like Anthony Ainley, may he rest in peace.
I can live with a redhead Patrician.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It isn't. It's not an adaptation of one of the books. It's a weekly series with all new stories.
How much input, if any, will Pratchett have on those stories? Is he going to personally write any of them, or hand-pick his own stable of writers he thinks are up to it, or act as a creative consultant, or anything? Or will it just be hacks writing "with characters created by Terry Pratchett"?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
How much input, if any, will Pratchett have on those stories? Is he going to personally write any of them, or hand-pick his own stable of writers he thinks are up to it, or act as a creative consultant, or anything? Or will it just be hacks writing "with characters created by Terry Pratchett"?
I haven't seen "Colour of Magic," so can't comment on that, but Pratchett had a lot of input in Hogfather, and even appeared in it. A great deal of the dialog is straight from the book. And the Halmis treated the material with respect. Unfortunately, with all this, the movie fell wide of the mark. Point being, if they can get a director, writer, and actors who can capture the spirit and humor of Pratchett's writing, I don't care if they mess up on the particulars. I always have the books when I need the real thing.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 AM

Hugh Laurie as Vimes. The best possible, I think.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Hugh Laurie as Vimes. The best possible, I think.
Hugh Laurie would also make an excellent Vetinari.

But that leads me to the next obvious conclusion: Stephen Fry as Monstrum Ridcully.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
But that leads me to the next obvious conclusion: Stephen Fry as Monstrum Ridcully.
Good call, but I think BRIAN BLESSED would work better.

That said, Joss Ackland in Hogfather was quite good.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The reason Nobby can't prove he's human is because he's as short as a dwarf, not just because he's a bit weird and creepy.
No, it's because he's such a genetic throwback he looks like a badly shaved, poorly educated ape with appalling manners and an assortment of disfiguring ailments, and makes anywhere he's stood or sat look like it needs a good scrub down as soon as he's gone.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 AM

There is also the issue of when they are going to set the series. Guards! Guards!? With only 4 characters? Men-at-arms when they are still getting no respect from the world at large? Or later when they can use a larger supporting cast but Vimes is the Duke?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:14 AM

Seems the Men-At-Arms time period would likely give the writers the most amount of material to work with. No respect to the police, a solid cast of characters, a city not-yet cleaned up, and they can play up the love interest of Vimes and Cybil.

Though I'd still prefer they just make a miniseries based on Night Watch.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Carrot is supposed to be like a redheaded Captain Awesome (from Chuck). Broad shouldered, narrow hips, i.e. shaped like a carrot.
Unless I'm wrong, in the books Carrot is stated as having that name because his broad shoulders make him carrot-shaped, not because his hair is orange.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Nader View Post
Nah, Buscemi's specialty is depressed weirdoes. Nobby is a cheerful twerp. Totally different.

What they need is to find someone with the face of Ron Perlman, but without the massive physique. Then again, Perlman himself was awesome as barely human Salvatore in Name of the Rose. It's just, I'm not sold on the voice. Ron's a low gravely growl, when in my mind Nobby squeaks and yelps.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_C View Post
Though I'd still prefer they just make a miniseries based on Night Watch.
You can't really do that without establishing the world and its characters first. So maybe expect that storyline sometime later in the series, should it get that far.

Quote:
Unless I'm wrong, in the books Carrot is stated as having that name because his broad shoulders make him carrot-shaped, not because his hair is orange.
Correct. That's what I said. Though he certainly is a redhead too, according to the Discworld Companion and a couple of mentions throughout the novels.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yastobaal View Post
There is also the issue of when they are going to set the series. Guards! Guards!? With only 4 characters? Men-at-arms when they are still getting no respect from the world at large? Or later when they can use a larger supporting cast but Vimes is the Duke?
Maybe they should start with an adaptation of GG as the pilot, then show the watch gradually expanding through the next few episodes.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to the linked article in the OP,

" This will be the first time that Pratchett has allowed anyone to create new Discworld stories for television, although the author will be overseeing the series ... [They have] assembled a strong writing team, including former Monty Python member, Terry Jones "
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well, Night Watch would be the origin story in a lot of ways. While most of us were familiar with the characters from their cameos in the unrelated books, that's one of the few books that'd give you an overview of the entire force without taking them for a given.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Nader View Post
Buscemi might be a little too old. I always thought of Kevin J. O'Connor when thinking of Nobby, because of O' Connor's role in "The Mummy". For me that's Nobbs.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gukumatz View Post
Well, Night Watch would be the origin story in a lot of ways. While most of us were familiar with the characters from their cameos in the unrelated books, that's one of the few books that'd give you an overview of the entire force without taking them for a given.
The problem with that would be that there is (at my estimation) a gap of at least ten years between the past of Night Watch and the events of Guards! Guards! In those years we have the promotions of all the characters to their roles at the start of Guards! Guards!, as well as Nobby and Colon joining the military, the rise of Vetinari and the creation of the more modern guilds, and the eventual dwindling of the Night Watch to its state when Carrot joins.

If you started with Night Watch, you'd need a whole series to cover all of that to get to Guards! Guards!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Correct. That's what I said. Though he certainly is a redhead too, according to the Discworld Companion and a couple of mentions throughout the novels.
The broad shoulders and heigth: he's an over-6'-when-standing-tall dwarf (well, genetically human, but that's a technicality - cultural dwarf).
Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb View Post
I think the best suggestions I've seen from other web sites are:

Brendan Fraser as Carrot. It'll never happen, but he's got that goofy, boyish earnest thing going on, besides being very tall and imposing without being brutish.
I've always picture Carrot as Brendan Fraser-like. Especially after Greorge of the Jungle.
Quote:
Nick Frost as Colon?
I could see that.

According to the article, Pterry would have control over the series. That's good. I liked how Hogfather turned out. I'm still waiting for Going Postal to hit Netflix. Another good thing is that Terry Jones has been contracted as one of the writers.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
The broad shoulders and heigth: he's an over-6'-when-standing-tall dwarf (well, genetically human, but that's a technicality - cultural dwarf).
He's tall for his size.