Old 09-09-2019, 09:41 PM

The Rangers also outscored Baltimore 33-0 over that span, so the Astros' 32-1 advantage over those innings also isn't a record.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Papi's back!
Quote:
In his first public appearance since June 9, when he was seriously injured in a Santo Domingo nightclub, Ortiz threw out the first pitch before the Red Sox played the New York Yankees.

Ortiz took a microphone on the pitcher’s mound and thanked the fans for their prayers and support after he threw the pitch to Jason Varitek, a catcher and teammate on Boston’s 2004 and ’07 championship clubs.

“I want to thank all of you for all the prayers,” he said. “I really appreciate it. Thank you very much. I want to thank my former teammates for being there for me. So, a lot of them came home to check up on my boy. Also, I want to thank the Yankees, a lot of my boys over there and checked up on Big Papi. Thank you very much, appreciate it. CC (Sabathia), (Edwin) Encarnación. Thank you very much. God bless you all. Go Sox.”
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
He was the President of the Red Sox that always seemed to try to gather the team's glory to him and now may have finally paid for that by taking the fall for a lack of a solid bullpen.
It's sounding like there were interpersonal issues (most of the people under him didn't like him and there was a lack of collaborative atmosphere, allegedly) and lack of a coherent strategy. Naturally, because it's the Red Sox, multiple articles smearing Dombrowski and hinting at everything he was doing wrong and why we should approve of this move have miraculously appeared shortly after his ouster. But there's probably at least some truth in them.

I hope they conduct a full search for his replacement this time instead of just handing the job to the most obvious internal candidate. Ben Cherington was a good guy but he was really good at one thing (minor leagues) and not so good, it turned out, at the other areas of the job description. He ended up promoted one level beyond his competence after falling into it by default. If the Red Sox decide that Eddie Romero is the best candidate after a full search, then great, but there needs to be a process.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:03 PM

Javy Baez has a hairline fracture in his left thumb. Addison Russell was hit in the face with a pitch the other day, and is on concussion protocols.

So the Cubs have called up their #1 prospect and 2018 first round draft pick Nico Hoerner. Starting at SS, hitting 6th. He's 1 for 1 with a bloop single. Making some decent plays in the field, too.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:01 AM

Any relation to Joe Hoerner?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Good that David Ortiz got to put his uniform on and throw out the first pitch last night. Yanks won the last 3 games of the series and knock the Red Sox out of the division race. Good day overall.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Any relation to Joe Hoerner?
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
It's sounding like there were interpersonal issues (most of the people under him didn't like him and there was a lack of collaborative atmosphere, allegedly) and lack of a coherent strategy. Naturally, because it's the Red Sox, multiple articles smearing Dombrowski and hinting at everything he was doing wrong and why we should approve of this move have miraculously appeared shortly after his ouster. But there's probably at least some truth in them.
We can't know the truth, but I don't see the problem with this move in general; the timing is odd, but Dombrowski was brought in to turn a team with a lot of farm system into an MLB winner, and that's what he did. Now the team is in the opposite position; they're very top heavy and burdened with some bad contracts, so they need to move in a different direction.

I am not the first person to observe this, but generally speaking, managers and GMs tend to be most successful in their first few years on a particular job. After that their approach changes the team's weaknesses and strengths and they're often not suited to fixing it as a new guy would be.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I am not the first person to observe this, but generally speaking, managers and GMs tend to be most successful in their first few years on a particular job. After that their approach changes the team's weaknesses and strengths and they're often not suited to fixing it as a new guy would be.
I wish whoever keeps Jon Daniels on the Rangers payroll would read this. "Not suited to fixing it" is a wild understatement.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

There is another kind of management, one suited to keeping a team relatively competitive on a tight budget year after year after year, but never actually good enough to win it all. That approach is sustainable.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
There is another kind of management, one suited to keeping a team relatively competitive on a tight budget year after year after year, but never actually good enough to win it all. That approach is sustainable.
That sounds like the Mariners for forever. Until this season, where they went all-in on a rebuild (and it’s showing).
Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 AM

In tonight's Braves/Phillies game, Robert Acuna robbed Scott Kingery of a home run, but dropped the ball after bringing it back into the field of play. Showing fantastic hustle, Kingery turns it into an inside-the-park homer.

https://deadspin.com/ronald-acuna-jr...-in-1838026339
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Ouch! Tough break for the Brewers: Christian Yelich fractured his kneecap and will miss the rest of the season.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Ouch! Tough break for the Brewers: Christian Yelich fractured his kneecap and will miss the rest of the season.
I'm not going to tempt karma by tap-dancing on Yelich's injury, so I'll just say that it could be advantageous for the Cubs.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
In tonight's Braves/Phillies game, Robert Acuna robbed Scott Kingery of a home run, but dropped the ball after bringing it back into the field of play. Showing fantastic hustle, Kingery turns it into an inside-the-park homer.

Yup, I saw that. It was a fluke, but an awesome one. For Phillies fans, anyway. My money was on the Braves, and I also like them, so I can't say I was HAPPY to see what happened there, but it was pretty remarkable all the same.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post

So, why wasn't it a triple plus an error for a four bagger?

Generous officials?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Charter Jays Fan

There's no error on that play. The catch could not have been made with an ordinary effort, an the play at home isn't an ordinary effort play, either.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 PM

I think you could give an error on that play. He did a lot of dancing around when he could have been picking up the ball.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 AM

The Mets get 9 runs and 11 hits on 9/11.

Oo.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I think you could give an error on that play. He did a lot of dancing around when he could have been picking up the ball.
That is a mental mistake, though. You cannot charge errors for mental mistakes - that's actually specifically stated in the rulebook.

I agree they should not have allowed a home run on that play but, according to the rules, it's a homer.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:38 AM

If they didn't allow a home run, baseball would be less interesting. It's cool to see an inside-the-park home run.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Best one I've ever seen was when Rance Mulliniks, who by this point was 36 or 37 and ran like he was a war amputee, legged one out against the Rangers at Skydome with yours truly in attendance.

Texas's left fielder than day was Kevin Reimer, who was the worst defensive outfielder I have ever seen play in the major leagues for whom playing the outfield was his actual primary position. Kevin was not substantially better than Ray Charles would have been. He had no range, usually broke in the wrong direction anyway, and spread butter all over his glove before every game, but he made up for it by having a bad arm.

So anyway, in the eighth inning with the Jays up 1-0, Rance lofted a short fly to left field. Reimer, as was his custom, froze. He then ran towards the ball, hesitated, and started running again, unable to make the decision most pro outfielders can make in a split second as to whether he wanted to try to catch it on the fly or get it on a bounce. (Absolutely 99% of MLB outfielders would have run in and caught it effortlessly.) At the last moment he decided that the best course of action was to fall down in the direction of the ball and hope for the best. This didn't work; the ball bounded past him, wholly untouched. The center fielder- Juan Gonzalez, which tells you all you need to know about how good the Rangers defense was - had started sprinting over from center the moment the ball was hit because Juan knew who his teammate was, but neither he nor Reimer had any chance at all. The ball bounced merrily into the left field corner and Rance, huffing and puffing, "ran" around third and headed for home while the sellout crowd stood and screamed, fifty thousand people yelling "FASTER RANCE! GO GO GO!" The throw wasn't even close and Rance Mulliniks had hit the first inside the park homer at Skydome while the fans cheered like he'd cured cancer. It was wonderful.

But it wasn't an error. Reimer was terrible, but he never touched the ball, it did not go through him - it kind of bounced to his right as he sprawled helplessly - and hesitation is a mental error.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:07 PM

Dude....gimme this Bichette kid. Who do you want on the Red Sox? Who can I get you in a three way trade involving Betts??
Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 PM

I hate that announcer assessment "The batter wasn't intentionally hit!! It was a breaking ball!"

Well dude...maybe the pitcher isn't a cro-magnon who wants to break someones rib or annihilate a kidney! Maybe he's under instructions from the manager and he's fulfilling it without ruining a career.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Dude....gimme this Bichette kid. Who do you want on the Red Sox? Who can I get you in a three way trade involving Betts??
So, re Betts, people in Houston, including me now, are sweating the likelihood that Betts will leave Boston after this year. And get way more than spotrac's estimated market values of 28.5M per year.

The problem is George Springer on the Astros is also coming up on FA, is perhaps 85-90% of the player Betts is, has New England ties, and the Sox may feel that 24-25 a year to Springer beats paying 33-35 a year to Betts. Doubt the Astros can match Boston in a bidding war, even if you discount Cole staying after this year, or Correa remaining an Astro when he hits FA.

As for 'LOL! 33-35 million a year? Put the bong down...' Go see what fangraphs thinks Betts is worth on the open market per year.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Who's the NL MVP with him out? Bellinger?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
I hate that announcer assessment "The batter wasn't intentionally hit!! It was a breaking ball!"

Well dude...maybe the pitcher isn't a cro-magnon who wants to break someones rib or annihilate a kidney! Maybe he's under instructions from the manager and he's fulfilling it without ruining a career.
Especially if it's the third guy he's hit in 2 innings, down by over 10 runs. Obvious without being obvious.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
As for 'LOL! 33-35 million a year? Put the bong down...' Go see what fangraphs thinks Betts is worth on the open market per year.
First article I found at Fangraphs about him estimated $300 million total. If it's an eight or nine year commitment, sure, that's right. He's better than Bryce Harper so why not?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Who's the NL MVP with him out? Bellinger?
I would have voted for Bellinger anyway.

Speaking of guys who hit home runs, more fun facts about how cheap homers are now:

1. Two teams, the Yankees and Twins, have already broken the record for homers in a season by a team (set just last year.) The Astros and Dodgers have a good chance of surpassing the old record as well, and remember the Dodgers usually have a pitcher batting ninth.

2. The overall league record for homers has already fallen.

3. The Orioles have already surrendered 280 homers, a new record.

4. Speaking of the Orioles, Dan Straily has surrendered 22 bombs. He's only pitched 47 innings.

5. Back to team records... the following teams have all, still with a few weeks to go, broken their team records for homers in a season; Yankees, Twins, Dodgers, Astros, Braves and Padres, and the A's, Red Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Mets, Reds, Nationals, Pirates, and Diamondbacks will all break theirs at current pace.

6. The Marlins and Tigers are the only MLB teams that don't average more than a homer a game.

My favourite team, the Blue Jays, is terrible, and yet they have smacked 221 bombs, a huge number - far, far more than in their 1992-1993 World Series years when their offense was famously good, and almost as many as the 2015 team which was one of the best offenses in modern baseball history. Their two starting middle infielders, Cavan Biggio and Bo Bichette, have both gotten to double figures in bombs despite being midseason callups; the Blue Jays did not have a middle infielder hit 10 home runs in a season until the ninth season of the franchise's existence (and then it was just 10.)
Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
3. The Orioles have already surrendered 280 homers, a new record.
61 of those homers were surrendered to the Yanks which is a weird record, most homers ever surrendered by a team to a team. Of those 61 Homers, Gleyber Torres has 13 of them.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Torres, incidentally, has set the all time record for homers against one opponent in a season; the previous record was 12 by Sammy Sosa against the Brewers in 1998.

When you consider that guys like Babe Ruth, Hank Greenberg, and Jimmie Foxx got to play 22 games a year against really bad teams, it's impressive the record is so recent.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Astros and Yankees are basically drag racing for the best record in the AL - tied at 98 wins with 11 to go, Astros have zero games against playoff teams left and the Yankees have two.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Jays Fan

If I had to pick any team right now to win it all, I gotta pick Houston. New York and LA are great teams too, but I'm choosing Houston over NY because

1. Houston has faced slightly better opposition; they have no in division opponents as bad as Toronto or Baltimore,

2. Houston has stronger front line starting pitching, which confers a slightly greater advantage in short playoff series versus the regular season, and

3. New York has been a bit lucky to win 98 games; Houston hasn't. I'm not running down the other candidates; Minnesota is a good team, Oakland is a good team, Cleveland is good, Tampa Bay is good, but Houston and New York are clearly superior and should be disappointed to lose to anyone except each other.

It's harder to compare across leagues but the Dodgers are loaded. I'd say they're 50-50 to win the pennant again, which is a very complimentary thing to say when you have to win two playoff series. They are the Astros and Yankees of the NL; no one else compares, they're all comparable to Oakland or Minnesota.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I thought it might be interesting to talk attendance, since the numbers are pretty much clear. As I am sure most folks know, MLB attendance has been sliding year over year. It's down a little this year too.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

At the top of course is LA; if you want to win a trivia contest, ask your friends "what professional sports franchise has sold the most tickets all time?" It's the Dodgers, by a mile. Anyway they average fifty thousand a game. The other top teams are mostly winning teams but the Angels are fifth despite sucking.

The concerning numbers of course are

1. Miami, whose attendance is utterly disastrous, and

2. Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Oakland.

The latter three are all playoff contenders who don't draw well. That's wildly concerning. If a team in a strong market isn't drawing well because they stink, that's one thing; Toronto has basically the same attendance as Cleveland but Toronto is a dreadful team. Their attendance level is a floor. They'll pull twice that when the team contends. If "shitty" is what you draw when you're GOOD, there is a problem.

The problems in Oakland and Tampa Bay are well known, but Cleveland I find really frightening. Jacobs Field is a fine ballpark, and they're been rolling winning teams out there for years now, and no ne goes. The concern is what attendance will be like when the team isn't good. If they only average 21K a game with a star-laden winning team what do they average when they're no good?

I mean, obviously Cleveland cannot, long term, enjoy the support of teams in huge markets; even the comparison to Toronto is unfair. But they don't compare well with teams in similar markets, either; Milwaukee, arguably the smallest market in baseball, is killing them in attendance. San Diego did well this year. Cincinnati draws okay for a bad team. St. Louis kills it every year.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 AM

There was a funny play in yesterday's game where the Cubs whipped the Pirates' buttocks 16-6. On a run-scoring triple by the Cubs' Tony Kemp, Pittsburgh coaches thought that a Cubs runner missed third base on the way home. They instructed the Pirates pitcher to make an appeal toss to third base. The throw was nowhere near the intended target, and Kemp scored on the error. It's the kind of play you don't expect to see beyond tee-ball.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/tony-k...lay-by-pirates
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Ha ha. I watched that game yesterday. And an inning or two later, after a sac fly scored a run, the Pirates players were petitioning for another appeal, thinking that Schwarber had left 3rd base early. You could see the Pirates' skipper just shaking his head. No, no (good god, no). I just KNOW that he was thinking of John McKay's infamous quote (possibly apocryphal) about his hapless Tampa Bay Bucs ("What do you think about your team's execution, coach?" "I'm in favor of it.")

Last edited by divemaster; 09-16-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Gotta say, when you talk about a terrible blunder in a game the Cubs are playing in, this long-time Cubs fan has to be surprised (and pleased!) about whose blunder it was.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 AM

With Mike Trout out for the rest of the season, Jorge Soler, who tied Trout's 45 home runs last night will (barring a miraculous home run burst from the runners-up, who are currently 8 behind) become the first Royal to win the AL home run title.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Trout's injury probably also costs him the MVP Award. Had he played out, his greatness could not have been denied, but now I think the edge goes to a player on a contender. His only hope for the award is simply that there is no immediately obvious, clear cut second choice. Those votes will be split among a number of guys - Semien, LeMahieu, Bregman, Bogaerts, Polanco, Verlander, all having great years. I think Bregman will actually win the award but it's going to be split a lot of ways.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The problems in Oakland and Tampa Bay are well known, but Cleveland I find really frightening. Jacobs Field is a fine ballpark, and they're been rolling winning teams out there for years now, and no ne goes. The concern is what attendance will be like when the team isn't good. If they only average 21K a game with a star-laden winning team what do they average when they're no good?

I mean, obviously Cleveland cannot, long term, enjoy the support of teams in huge markets; even the comparison to Toronto is unfair. But they don't compare well with teams in similar markets, either; Milwaukee, arguably the smallest market in baseball, is killing them in attendance. San Diego did well this year. Cincinnati draws okay for a bad team. St. Louis kills it every year.
Yeah, Cleveland's attendance over the last few years has been puzzling. They've been fielding competitive teams, they have some big names, a nice stadium and they just don't draw. Last game I attended was a Sunday afternoon, Kluber was pitching and the place was less than half full.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM

Semi-related:

Pirates pitcher Felipe Vazquez has been arrested for solicitation of a child.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Trout's injury probably also costs him the MVP Award. Had he played out, his greatness could not have been denied, but now I think the edge goes to a player on a contender. His only hope for the award is simply that there is no immediately obvious, clear cut second choice. Those votes will be split among a number of guys - Semien, LeMahieu, Bregman, Bogaerts, Polanco, Verlander, all having great years. I think Bregman will actually win the award but it's going to be split a lot of ways.
Speaking of Trout, rough last two weeks for the Angels - not only are they down the best player on the planet, they also have three games against the Yankees, two against the A's, and seven against the Astros. They're at 68 wins now and it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't make it past 70.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Wow, that is one hell of a hard schedule.

Yesterday Cavan Biggio hit for the cycle for the Blue Jays, only the third Jay to do so (Kelly Gruber and Jeff Frye are the others.)

Toronto fans are all a-flutter over Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Bo Bichette and they've both played well, but Biggio has quietly been very impressive; no one has noticed because his batting average has been low, but he gets on base, has power, has stolen 13 bases in 13 attempts, and plays decent second base. He could help the Blue Jays win many games in the next five or six years. He's older than Guerrero and Bichette so he's not the same prospect they are, but he could be an All Star.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Fun facts:

1. Biggio's famous dad also hit for the cycle; they are the second father-son duo to do it, after Gary and Daryle Ward.

2. Biggio is the first visiting player to ever do it in Camden Yards.

3. Biggio also stole two bases in the game; he and Charlie Moore are the only men in the last century to do that.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM

1a - Craig Biggio and Daryle Ward were teammates for about 4 years - they were teammates when Biggio hit his cycle, but not when Ward did.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 AM

Gerrit Cole gets 300 strikeouts. It's funny how the increase in strikeout rates and the decrease in innings pitched have pretty much offset each other and 300 strikeouts is still a big deal but not an impossibility.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Cole is a fine pitcher but his strikeout rate is astronomically ludicrous. If he were to rest for the regular season it would not just be the highest in baseball history (for a starting pitcher) but would be so absurdly higher than anyone prior to 15-20 years ago that it's hard to ascertain where the standard is anymore. If you look at the best strikeout rates of all time, you have:

1. Guiys in the last ten years, and
2. Randy Johnson and Pedro in the ten years prior to that.

The best K/9 ratio in major league history from before 1997 is Nolan Ryan in 1987, the 28th highest ever, and he's 2.5 K behind Cole. Above that, just this season, are Robbie Ray, Lucas Giolito and Matt Boyd. Matt Boyd, by the way, has an ERA of 4.54 and has given up 38 home runs. He's 8-11, and he deserves to be, even though he has 228 strikeouts and only 47 walks. There is little representation from prior to the 1990s on that list except for a few Nolan Ryan seasons and the odd fluke here and there. Bob Gibson doesn't appear on the top FIVE HUNDRED, but someone named Kyle Gibson does, from 2019 of course. I had to look him up to remember what team he played for.

K-W ratio is kind of becoming divorced from pitching success. It's bizarre.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Has there ever been a team with 3 second generation players, like the Jays, before? I guess it could even be 4 if you count Gurriel Jr.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 09-19-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Has there ever been a team with 3 second generation players, like the Jays, before? I guess it could even be 4 if you count Gurriel Jr.
Found one - 2000 Cincinnati, with Ken Griffey Jr., Aaron Boone, and Mike Bell (brother of David, son of Buddy, grandson of Gus). Mike Bell played his only 19 major league games (with 31 plate appearances) that year.

The striking thing about the three Jays rookies, of course, is that they all came up at the same time and the least promising (Biggio) still looks like he'll probably have a 3-4 year career at worst.

By the way, anyone know if there a fourth-generation Boone or Bell in the minors somewhere?
Old 09-19-2019, 10:24 AM

(answering my own question - Jake Boone, son of Bret, was drafted in the 38th round out of high school last year and decided to go to Princeton instead).