Old 01-19-2018, 04:14 PM

Democrats Add Momentum to G.O.P. Push to Loosen Banking Rules.

Quote:
Eleven Senate Democrats are co-sponsoring the bill, making its passage in the Senate likely.
Quote:
“A lot of what was Too Big To Fail under Dodd-Frank became ‘too small to succeed’ because of the onerous regulatory burdens,” Ms. Heitkamp said.
Hellworld just keeps getting toastier.

Nevada Dems reveal Mitch McTurtle mascot. What's up with Dems and corny mascots?

#Resistance liberals are so transparently performative that they're being called #TheAssistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Wikileaks helped put the Russpublican party in power in this country and Manning wants to run as a D? Yeah, we need more cognitive dissonance.
The Russia scaremongering is the stupid liberal idea of the year. I think it's cool that Democrats have turned into the Tea Party, and the Tea Party turned into schizophrenics. We're so fucked.

Last edited by marshmallow; 01-19-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You're upset at the AG for telling people to follow state law? You'd prefer he instructs everyone to violate state law?

Maybe you disagree with the law itself, but if there's a conflict about whether that law is Constitutional, that will be resolved in the courts.
California's law is in direct violation of the Constitution (Article 1, Section 8, if anyone cares). California's state law is in direct violation of the U.S. Code as well (8 U.S. Code 1324, if anyone cares).

The passage of the law by the California Congress and the governor's signing it into law are all actions, IMNSHO, that constitute a conspiracy to violate 8 U.S. Code 1324 and they should all be arrested for it.

We'll see what happens. At any rate, it was a massive act of stupidity committed by liberals.

Last edited by Clothahump; 01-19-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Hey, at least Clothahump posted something done by an actual government official, and he included something that's almost a cite (a link to the source would be even better, chief). By Clothahump standards, that's a quality post!
Every one of my posts is a quality post. That's why they upset libs so much.
Quote:
ETA: He loses points, however, for claiming that California is full of nothing but liberals, and for then criticizing the whole state for the actions of one person. Baby steps.
As I pointed out above - the entire state legislature is responsible. It's not just one person. And yeah, the state is pretty much full of liberals. Damn few conservatives out there.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 PM

Do you take meds for those delusions?

Maybe you should be.

Last edited by Chimera; 01-19-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
California's law is in direct violation of the Constitution (Article 1, Section 8, if anyone cares). California's state law is in direct violation of the U.S. Code as well (8 U.S. Code 1324, if anyone cares).

The passage of the law by the California Congress and the governor's signing it into law are all actions, IMNSHO, that constitute a conspiracy to violate 8 U.S. Code 1324 and they should all be arrested for it.

We'll see what happens. At any rate, it was a massive act of stupidity committed by liberals.
Pray tell, Mr. Stable Genius, which part of Article I, Section 8, does California law violate? Explain how, and why it violates this particular part of the Constitution.

As for violating the US Code, did you miss the six or seven places in the California law where it explicitly states that the law applies "Except as otherwise required by federal law." That is, the law explicitly says that it only applies in circumstances where it does not conflict with federal law.

Quote:
Damn few conservatives out there.
Yeah, hardly any.

Number of Texans who voted for Donald Trump: 4,685,047
Number of Californians who voted for Donald Trump: 4,483,810
Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

Since you think H. Clinton is a felon, I think we can discount your opinion of the law.
There's a whole bunch of stuff in Section 8. What part are you claiming?

As far as 8 U.S. Code 1324, you seem to miss the fact that states have no power to hold someone who has not violated state law or has served their time unless there is a warrant from the feds. If the feds are too lazy to get a warrant or have someone on hand to take custody on release, tough nertz.
The Constitution applies to everyone on US soil, illegally or not.

Federalism, the Constitution, and sanctuary cities
Quote:
Under the Constitution, state and local governments have every right to refuse to help enforce federal law. In cases like Printz v. United States (1997) and New York v. United States (1992), the Supreme Court has ruled that the Tenth Amendment forbids federal “commandeering” of state governments to help enforce federal law.

Last edited by running coach; 01-19-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:52 AM

The Hillary Clinton Question, to me, is a basic question of sanity and reasonability.

If you think a woman who was constantly investigated for over 25 years without a single charge being levied against her is a criminal, murderer, or felon, you are neither sane nor reasonable.

And before you go blathering on about how that doesn't mean that she isn't a criminal, I will remind you that by the same standards, YOU ARE A CRIMINAL, since I have to assume that there isn't a single adult in this nation who has never exceeded the speed limit, jaywalked or done something else so minor as to escape notice but is nevertheless against the law.

And seriously, Hillary is gone. Bill is gone. They're not hiding under your bed anymore to jump out and rape your children at night.

Get. The. Fuck. Over. It.

Last edited by Chimera; 01-20-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Those are questions resolved by the courts, not by random internet people (even someone as obviously brilliant, open minded, intellectually curious, and open to differing opinions as yourself). If the courts decide that it doesn't violate the Constitution, then you're incorrect. If they decide that it does, then you are correct. We'll see what happens, but these disputes are resolved inside the courts, not inside internet message boards.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 AM

[QUOTE=Clothahump;20733880]Since everybody seems to get so bent out of shape if I just post about a single stupid liberal, here's something different: an entire state full of stupid liberals.
Quote:
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra warned employers Thursday of legal repercussions if they assist federal immigration officials in an impending crackdown in the sanctuary state, The Sacramento Bee reported.
Quote:
Under a new state law the Immigration Worker Protection Act employers and businesses could face fines of up to $10,000 if they provide employee information to U.S. Immigration Customs, Becerra said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump
You gotta hand it to California - they do lead the way in the vast majority of stupid liberal stunts. This is one of the better ones.
Yeah, a $10,000 fine does seem a little low for completely ruining someone's life by getting them thrown in jail if they don't happen to have their birth certificate or passport in their pocket when ICE arrests them, then lose their job for missing work while they're awaiting a hearing, and possibly get deported if the bureaucracy messes up and doesn't correctly verify that they're a U.S. citizen.

All because you suspect they're an illegal immigrant - IE, they have a skin color you don't like.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:44 PM

Durbin and Schumer are bragging about how they wanted to give Trump everything he wanted, including the border wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbin
Our bipartisan deal gives the President everything he asked for:

Border Security ✓
Family Unification ✓
Visa Lottery ✓
Dream Act ✓

This is what compromise is all about. Democrats and Republicans support it. Why wouldn’t Congress pass this deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumer
There is a STILL bipartisan deal from Sens Durbin & Graham to protect Dreamers AND fund @POTUS’s full request for the WALL. @realDonaldTrump, it's time to take yes for an answer.
OK, maybe they didn't really mean it and they're playing that famed 4D chess. Building walls to keep Mexicans out is something only stupid racists do, not Democrats.

Jimmy Dore has helpfully gathered several comical interview clips(1:30-5:23) of Hillary Clinton trying to explain her and many other Democrats (including Obama, Schumer) voting for the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which built 700 miles of fencing along the border, among other security measures. I particularly enjoyed her Trumpian explanation of how Mexican government policy is pushing immigration up north.

Remember you silly progressives, there was plenty of money for Trump's racist wall, the military budget increase, and bombing half the world, but universal healthcare is pie in the sky fairy dust. [slide whistle]

2020 Dem slogan: Build that wall barrier!

Last edited by marshmallow; 01-21-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:55 PM
BANNED

My, my - here's another one. And amazingly enough.....it's out of California as well.

Seems the city of Los Angeles wanted to put on a big dog and pony show about the government was "going green", so they shelled out $10 million clams for electric cars for the cops. The only problem is that the cops won't drive them because they are useless for police work, so they are sitting idle.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
Durbin and Schumer are bragging about how they wanted to give Trump everything he wanted, including the border wall.

OK, maybe they didn't really mean it and they're playing that famed 4D chess. Building walls to keep Mexicans out is something only stupid racists do, not Democrats.

Jimmy Dore has helpfully gathered several comical interview clips(1:30-5:23) of Hillary Clinton trying to explain her and many other Democrats (including Obama, Schumer) voting for the Secure Fence Act of 2006, which built 700 miles of fencing along the border, among other security measures. I particularly enjoyed her Trumpian explanation of how Mexican government policy is pushing immigration up north.

Remember you silly progressives, there was plenty of money for Trump's racist wall, the military budget increase, and bombing half the world, but universal healthcare is pie in the sky fairy dust. [slide whistle]

2020 Dem slogan: Build that wall barrier!
The Democrats should introduce a bill that authorizes Trump to build any wall he wants. As long as its funded by Mexico.

That was the campaign promise, after all. No one voted for him to get a U.S. funded wall
Old 01-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
My, my - here's another one. And amazingly enough.....it's out of California as well.

Seems the city of Los Angeles wanted to put on a big dog and pony show about the government was "going green", so they shelled out $10 million clams for electric cars for the cops. The only problem is that the cops won't drive them because they are useless for police work, so they are sitting idle.
Is this what you are talking about?
Quote:
They can only go 80 to 100 mph on a charge an obvious problem for law enforcement.
You're right, that does make no sense.

Especially as to whether or not the cops like them, as it points out in the article
Quote:
to be used for administrative, non-emergency purposes for the time being.
Whether they are talking about speed or range there, does either matter when they are being used for administrative, non-emergency use?

It sounds to me like the LAPD just refuses to try new things. If the numbers are right, then they are paying 10mill for 300 cars, so that's $33k per car. That's not a bad price, especially for a BMW.

Depending on the political leaning of the LAPD, you could take the refusal of them to use these cars for their purpose as a stupid idea, but providing police with new updated equipment doesn't seem to be one. That they are not useful for a purpose they were not intended for does not seem to be the fault of "liberals".
Old 01-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Gosh, you'd think the lazy cops would be all over that if they let them. Drive around for an hour, go spend a half hour charging it, standing around, shooting the shit. Can't go out on calls, sorry, car's charging now.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The way it’s worded, I’m having trouble figuring out whether the car only gets 100 miles per charge, or it can’t go faster than 100 mph. I get a worse impression of the reporter than the car or LAPD.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulalia View Post
The way its worded, Im having trouble figuring out whether the car only gets 100 miles per charge, or it cant go faster than 100 mph. I get a worse impression of the reporter than the car or LAPD.
It's both. The BMW i3 gets about 100 miles per charge, and also has a top speed of just under 100mph.

I'll be interested to see whether the LAPD has a more sustained response to the criticisms of this program, because while i'm a big fan of electric vehicles, i'm not sure exactly why a police department needs so many of these particular cars. I'm also interested to know more about exactly what sort of work these cars are supposed to be doing. They would seem ideal for police who patrol the downtown area, and who spend time out of their car on foot. They would also seem to be fine for supervisors who are not patrolling full-time, but who sometimes have to attend a scene in order to coordinate and oversee police procedures, crowd control, etc. And they would also work for the non-patrolling aspects of law enforcement, such as crime scene, witness transport, follow-up interviews, etc., etc.

If they're not being used for these sorts of tasks, i'd be interested to know why.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
If they REALLY were going to give it all away, they were fucking fools. Dump has never honored any "deal" in his life. The proof of it all is, Trump sabotaged it anyway. And then after it was dead, McConnell and company threw their two cents in.

It's fucking simple. Trump (through his Repub lackeys) controls the White House, Senate, House of Representatives, and Supreme Court. It's all on THEM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Gosh, you'd think the lazy cops would be all over that if they let them. Drive around for an hour, go spend a half hour charging it, standing around, shooting the shit. Can't go out on calls, sorry, car's charging now.
All they have to do is put chargers at donut shops. 2 birds, one stone.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Nah, they just have to move the chargers around. Known drug house? New charger across the street. Rise in shoplifting or assaults near a grocery store? Move that charger to the spot next to the Handicapped spots. Hell, we have a four way stop about half a mile away that could use a charger nearby. Lots of no stops there. They used to sit in a spot that couldn't be seen from the other 3 directions until you were right there, but I haven't seen them do that in over a year.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Nah, they just have to move the chargers around. Known drug house? New charger across the street. Rise in shoplifting or assaults near a grocery store? Move that charger to the spot next to the Handicapped spots. Hell, we have a four way stop about half a mile away that could use a charger nearby. Lots of no stops there. They used to sit in a spot that couldn't be seen from the other 3 directions until you were right there, but I haven't seen them do that in over a year.
Good Lord, haven't you people heard of extension cords?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Good Lord, haven't you people heard of extension cords?
Haven't you heard of copper thieves?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
It sounds to me like the LAPD just refuses to try new things. If the numbers are right, then they are paying 10mill for 300 cars, so that's $33k per car. That's not a bad price, especially for a BMW.
Even better: it's for the cars plus the required infrastructure.

The real problem with electric vehicles these days is the lack of a standardized charging connector. Not that the City of Los Angeles had a bad idea but had they been able to install infrastructure that everyone could use...
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Even better: it's for the cars plus the required infrastructure.

The real problem with electric vehicles these days is the lack of a standardized charging connector. Not that the City of Los Angeles had a bad idea but had they been able to install infrastructure that everyone could use...
Not sure what you mean by that. The SAE J1772 connection is pretty standard.

Quote:
A task force assembled by SAE International, an organization of scientists and vehicle engineers, developed the design specifications for the J1772 standard through a committee of 150 carmakers, electrical equipment makers and utilities.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 AM
BANNED

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...their-children

Top UK paediatrician wants to combat so-called "child poverty" by giving breeders extra votes.

Last edited by Mr Shine; 01-23-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...their-children

Top UK paediatrician wants to combat so-called "child poverty" by giving breeders extra votes.
It's a really stupid idea (assuming Modi is seriously proposing it) but I'm not sure why you're awarding a to "child poverty".
Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 AM

"If 'children' don't like being poor they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get fucking jobs!"

CMC fnord!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Democrats Add Momentum to G.O.P. Push to Loosen Banking Rules.

Hellworld just keeps getting toastier.
The Russia scaremongering is the stupid liberal idea of the year. I think it's cool that Democrats have turned into the Tea Party, and the Tea Party turned into schizophrenics. We're so fucked.
Are you in the right thread? It sounds like you're Pitting Democrats for NOT being liberal.

That's OK, I guess. Many of the "stupid liberal ideas" in this peculiar thread are of that character.

Yawn! ... the most excitement in this thread is the on-going bodice ripper story about the developing romance ( la Marquis de Sade?) between Lawnmower Girl and our Very Stable Genius. Let me know when that heats up.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I recently heard a generally reliable talk radio host complain about how cell phones can use any micro-USB cable but a Prius owner can't use a charging station meant for, say, a Fusion. Perhaps he was working from outdated information.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-23-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
...a generally reliable talk radio host...
There's a combination of words I'm not used to reading.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I recently heard a generally reliable talk radio host complain about how cell phones can use any micro-USB cable but a Prius owner can't use a charging station meant for, say, a Fusion. Perhaps he was working from outdated information.
It's just not true. My wife's Prius Prime uses the same connection as my Volt. And every car I see at the charging stations I use are all plugging in to the same facility. The possible exception is the Tesla, but I believe they can use the same connector with an adapter.

Yep, just checked their website:

Quote:
New Teslas include the following as standard equipment:

Mobile Connector (20 feet)
Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
Adapter for higher power 240 volt outlet (NEMA 14-50)
Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)
Cable organizing bag
Old 01-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
There's a combination of words I'm not used to reading.
Paul Harris bills himself as "talk radio for people who don't listen to talk radio". No politics, no politicians, and no great debates like gun control or abortion.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's just not true. My wife's Prius Prime uses the same connection as my Volt. And every car I see at the charging stations I use are all plugging in to the same facility. The possible exception is the Tesla, but I believe they can use the same connector with an adapter.
Working from outdated info, then. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The Democrats should introduce a bill that authorizes Trump to build any wall he wants. As long as its funded by Mexico.

That was the campaign promise, after all. No one voted for him to get a U.S. funded wall
Yea! They finally said it:

Quote:
Sen. Patrick Leahy, who was among the Democrats voting against reopening the government Monday, said that either the Department of Homeland Security should pay for building the wall with its own existing budget or they can get Mexico to pay for it, a reference to an oft-repeated Trump campaign pledge.
"They can pay for it out of there, if they think it's so important," said Leahy, the top Democrat on the Appropriations Committee. "Or they could do my other suggestion. He's pledged, given his word, that Mexico will pay for it because he's very good at the art of the deal and so on. Let's just open up a special account, as Mexico pays in for the Trump wall, they can build it."
Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 AM

You guys are hijacking Humpy's thread.

I just noticed a real stupid liberal idea that Clothy (Humpy? what's his preferred nickname?) should be happy to comment on. The liberal media is suddenly incensed that the Great Commander-in-Chief and Nation's Top Law Enforcement Officer asked top FBI officials whom they voted for. Why in heaven's name would we want Federal employees who don't want to Make America Great Again?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 AM

Seriously, dude, if you have difficulty handling that many syllables, just shorten it to Cl'ump.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Seriously, dude, if you have difficulty handling that many syllables, just shorten it to Cl'ump.
I've also seen him referred to as C'hump
Old 01-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
J1772 is standard, but it's only Level-2, which is 240V AC and usually 30A max. It takes several hours to fully charge an electric car with a Level-2 charger. It's perfectly adequate for overnight or all-day (workplace) charging, but it's not fast enough for the "stop in the middle of a road trip and charge the car while you have coffee" scenario.

Most purely electric cars have DC Fast Charge capability, but that's where the standards diverge. Japanese cars use CHADEMO, European and American cars mostly use SAE Combo, except for Tesla who has their own Supercharger. These are all incompatible.

According to this article, the LAPD did install 4 DC fast charge stations for their BMW i3 fleet. Those would have to have the SAE Combo chargers, so they aren't usable by Tesla or Nissan Leaf.

Last edited by scr4; 01-24-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
J1772 is standard, but it's only Level-2, which is 240V AC and usually 30A max. It takes several hours to fully charge an electric car with a Level-2 charger. It's perfectly adequate for overnight or all-day (workplace) charging, but it's not fast enough for the "stop in the middle of a road trip and charge the car while you have coffee" scenario.

Most purely electric cars have DC Fast Charge capability, but that's where the standards diverge. Japanese cars use CHADEMO, European and American cars mostly use SAE Combo, except for Tesla who has their own Supercharger. These are all incompatible.

According to this article, the LAPD did install 4 DC fast charge stations for their BMW i3 fleet. Those would have to have the SAE Combo chargers, so they aren't usable by Tesla or Nissan Leaf.
Leaf owner here. The majority of fast chargers i have seen have both. The LAPD may not go that way, but if they subcontracted to one of the charging vendors, it would probably have both plugs available.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
You guys are hijacking Humpy's thread.

I just noticed a real stupid liberal idea that Clothy (Humpy? what's his preferred nickname?)
That would be Clothahump.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't have a say in this.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And his statement was incorrect - cell phones can't use any micro-USB cable. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, developed its own interface.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Clothy (Humpy? what's his preferred nickname?)
Preferred by him or by us?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
And his statement was incorrect - cell phones can't use any micro-USB cable. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, developed its own interface.
This is absolutely true and everyone should acknowledge it. Clothy, you're a credit to your ideology.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I've also seen him referred to as C'hump
Which he is, along with everyone else who got conned into voting for Trump and/or couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Clinton. Chumps all.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 01-24-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Would you accept a Lovecraftian no-vowel Clthhmp?
Maybe with an apostrophe: Clth'hmp?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Apple, in its infinite wisdom, developed its own interface.
Those aren't phones. Those are overgrown iPods.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Would you accept a Lovecraftian no-vowel Clthhmp?
Maybe with an apostrophe: Clth'hmp?
Nope. Just Clothahump is all that is necessary.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Which he is, along with everyone else who got conned into voting for Trump and/or couldn't bring themselves to vote for a Clinton. Chumps all.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
Are you...are you channelling Larry the Cable Guy? Because that's a Mater line.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strassia View Post
Leaf owner here. The majority of fast chargers i have seen have both. The LAPD may not go that way, but if they subcontracted to one of the charging vendors, it would probably have both plugs available.
Thanks, that's good to know. Still, "both" means CHAdeMO and SAE Combo, right? No Tesla Supercharger?

Last edited by scr4; 01-25-2018 at 08:32 AM.