Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The best that can said for Panama is that they got their first-ever World Cup goal.

My Panamanian friends are posting on Facebook "Baloy has more goals than Messi!"
Yes they lost big but they showed courage and never quit. They have nothing to be ashamed of.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Germany is better at 2-3 positions. Give you Neuer and Kroos and one more, probably the right back but only because Dani Alves is injured. Think about it, most of the Brazilians excel, or have excelled, in La Liga and EPL. Bundesliga is a step below.
Based on the WC squads, a combined squad would probably feature 6 German starters: Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Kimmich, Kroos, Reus. I think swapping Paulinho for a German central mid is arguable too.

Yes, La Liga and the EPL are better overall than the Bundesliga, but Bayern was the best team in the world this year.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Mane going to drag Senegal through this group? Quite possibly.
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Mane going to drag Senegal through this group? Quite possibly.
Senegal look good. If I were England/Belgium I would be worried.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Senegal look good. If I were England/Belgium I would be worried.
I wouldn't. Groups A and H are so weak that B and G don't care if they finish second. Either England or Belgium would be massive favorites over either of these teams compared to even Croatia or Mexico.

Great equalizer!
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't. Groups A and H are so weak that B and G don't care if they finish second. Either England or Belgium would be massive favorites over either of these teams compared to even Croatia or Mexico.

Great equalizer!
I hate when that happens just after I post.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Japan should be up by at least one. Whiff on goal from 6 yards and then a crossbar on a nice chip attempt.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Nice goal by Senegal. This has been fun too watch.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Japan pulls it back level.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Japan are technically better than they have ever been. They will always be at a physical disadvantage but they make it up with their speed and ball movement.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Yes they lost big but they showed courage and never quit. They have nothing to be ashamed of.
The cool thing was how ecstatic that one goal made the Panama fans despite being down by 5.

Panama is the epitome of a country that's "just happy to be there."
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Senegals motto should be ' if we can't beat em lets beat em.'
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The cool thing was how ecstatic that one goal made the Panama fans despite being down by 5.

Panama is the epitome of a country that's "just happy to be there."
Ha. I was watching the highlights of the game and came just to post about this; it may be my favorite moment of the World Cup so far.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

This seems to be the cleanist most professional WC ever. 1 red iirc. No mandates from FIFA about reds for tackling from behind. Many matches decided by a single goal and no 0-0.

Wish we could have biannual World Cups.
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

So Belgium and England are exactly tied in goals scored and allowed, meaning if they draw then their placement depends on fair play points. Also, they’re in the last group, so the whole rest of the knockout bracket will be set when they play. Lots of potential for shenanigans depending on how the bracket looks. They both might prefer to finish second, or they might prefer first and try to draw cards to get there.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschevsky View Post
So Belgium and England are exactly tied in goals scored and allowed, meaning if they draw then their placement depends on fair play points. Also, they’re in the last group, so the whole rest of the knockout bracket will be set when they play. Lots of potential for shenanigans depending on how the bracket looks. They both might prefer to finish second, or they might prefer first and try to draw cards to get there.
Second place is almost certainly going to be in the easier half of the bracket. Yellow accumulation gets reset after the next game? So as long as you're not already carrying one, sure, get another for time wasting or dissent.
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Second place is almost certainly going to be in the easier half of the bracket. Yellow accumulation gets reset after the next game? So as long as you're not already carrying one, sure, get another for time wasting or dissent.
If its like 2014 they will be reset after the quarterfinals.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

Category 5 harrykane inland....

England is making up for its 2014 underachievement with a vengeance.
Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

This would be a good time for Lewandowski to score 5 goald in 9 minutes..
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
This would be a good time for Lewandowski to score 5 goald in 9 minutes..
With Bayern he could, but not with this Polish team.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

An avalanche of goals today, 14 in three matches.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Category 5 harrykane inland....

England is making up for its 2014 underachievement with a vengeance.
Let's hope they get knocked down a notch or five by Belgium. Nothing more annoying than happy England fans.

"In defeat, unbeatable; in victory, unbearable."

FYI, just talking about my neighbours, not all England fans.
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Based on the WC squads, a combined squad would probably feature 6 German starters: Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Kimmich, Kroos, Reus. I think swapping Paulinho for a German central mid is arguable too.

Yes, La Liga and the EPL are better overall than the Bundesliga, but Bayern was the best team in the world this year.
This is all based on what exactly? Bayern was the best? Not sure why you think that. You threw out names of some starters, but I gave you 2 unbiased sources on the best players and you should notice how many Brazilians are on those lists. You give me your opinions, which are unlikely to be swayed. I get it.
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
An avalanche of goals today, 14 in three matches.
Definitely better than 2010 and 2014; two World Cups in which every other game seemed to be 1-0. (Germany 7-1 Brazil being the one major exception)
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
nonsense back at you. The idea that he deliberately blocked the ball requires proof. without that the referee is essentially saying an arm anywhere at the time of the kick was a deliberate attempt to block it.

In this picture the defender's eyes are closed. Tell me how he deliberately blocked the kick. every other player has their arms out. Any one of those players could have been charged using the logic the ref used.
He does NOT need "proof". This is exactly the argument I had with another poster either upthread or in another thread on the WC. Putting the arm in the air is done deliberately, so that the ball might strike it. It's not INTENTIONALLY handling the ball, that is, he doesn't move his hand to the ball (necessarily). But he deliberately handled it because he put his hand somewhere that the ball might likely strike.

Take a simple example rotated 90 degrees: Suppose he is standing in front of the player who is about to cross the ball. He holds his arms out at 90 degree angles to either side of his body. The ball is crossed, hits one of his arms, which he doesn't have time to move to the ball. This is STILL deliberately handling the ball, because the only reason his arms are there is so that the ball might strike them.

Learn the actual Laws and how they are applied by refereeing. I've been doing it for almost 30 years now.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
This is all based on what exactly? Bayern was the best? Not sure why you think that. You threw out names of some starters, but I gave you 2 unbiased sources on the best players and you should notice how many Brazilians are on those lists. You give me your opinions, which are unlikely to be swayed. I get it.
You realize that those links are also opinions, right? And also that the latter also predicts Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Kroos, and Reus as better than all Brazilians at their respective positions?

As far as Bayern being the best team, just go watch the CL games against Real Madrid. Bayern outplayed them handily both legs.

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; Yesterday at 09:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Also, the second link has Sane ahead of all Brazilians at his position and he didn't make the Germany roster.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
nonsense back at you. The idea that he deliberately blocked the ball requires proof. without that the referee is essentially saying an arm anywhere at the time of the kick was a deliberate attempt to block it.

In this picture the defender's eyes are closed. Tell me how he deliberately blocked the kick. every other player has their arms out. Any one of those players could have been charged using the logic the ref used.
The logic that is used by refs is that if your arm is in an "unnatural" position, it is assumed you put it there in order to handle the ball. Making it deliberate. Like if I leave tacks outside your door, I intended you to step on them even if I didn't threw them under your feet.

Now, there's an argument that an arm up is a natural position for an arm to be in while sliding (more commonly an arm out from the body when a defender turns his body while defending a cross). If you watch baseball, many feet first slides occur with the arms in a position that would be considered unnatural in soccer.

Now, I think the call in question is a PK all day every day, which is why I dislike the wording of that rule.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Wish we could have biannual World Cups.
Biannual = twice a year. Might be a bit much.

Biennial = every second year. I'd vote for this.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Don't have a rooting interest (probably wouldn't even if Team USA made it), so for no particular reason I decided to do the math.

With wins counting for 3 points, that means that every result from 0-9 is possible except for 8. It's impossible to advance with less than 3 points, because for there to be another team with less than 3 points there must be at least 4 wins among the remaining two teams, so both are assured of 3 or more. Conversely, 9 points (WWW) is, obviously, guaranteed to advance, as is 7 (WWD), as for there to be another team with 7, the remaining teams must be either both DLL or one DDL and one LLL. 3 points is nearly hopeless but there happens to be one tiny ray of hope for both WLL and DDD; one hinging on luck, the other...okay, it's mostly luck too. WLL advances if two other teams also go WLL (meaning the last is WWW), whereupon one advances on goal differential; DDD advances if one other team also goes DDD, and in this case I believe it's settle with a coin toss since both will have the exact same GD.

5 or 6 points, i.e. WDD and WWL, always advances...UNLESS there's a complete doormat in the group that goes LLL. In this case it's possible for the other teams to all go either WDD or WWL, and one will get left out in the cold and fume about how some teams make it with 3 measly points. I think that actually happened in the last World Cup, and this is the exact same predicament Germany is trying to avoid now. In the NFL it's common practice to root for teams that are out of contention to beat teams that are contesting yours for playoff spots, but that only happens late in the season when the playoff picture is taking shape. In the World Cup, the first three games are like that. Of course you want your team to win, but there's not much chance it's going to be so dominant that it can reach the magic 7, much less 9, so you want South Korea or Costa Rica or Morocco to pull it together just once and take someone down a peg so your team's 4 or 5 points holds up.

I honestly have to wonder just how the realities of the round-robin system and how the line between pass and fail can be so incredibly thin affects the mentality of the teams that are on the bubble after two rounds. For one thing, I feel sorry for any squad that gets put in a situation where goal differential is going to make the difference, because "running up the score" is flat-out impossible. Maybe it happens on occasion at the peewee level, but not on the world stage with the most elite players of each nation. Furthermore, adding offensive pressure at the sacrifice of leaving ones own net more vulnerable (a common desperation tactic in hockey)...well, that really isn't an option, because if you give up a goal at any time, ever, even if you're hammering the opposing goalkeeper it could be 30 minutes or more before these efforts bear fruit, and that just gets you back to where you were before.

As for Russia...I'm just hoping for the best at this point. Sheesh, I know that Qatar or UAE or wherever was an incredibly stupid choice because it gets kinda hot in the Mideast in the summer, but THIS was the fallback?? It continues to baffle me that a backwards, repressive human rights nightmare for its entire existence continues to get prestigious international sporting events. After the utter debacle that was the Sochi Olympics, at minimum Russia should've been denied the honor of hosting anything until Vladimir Putin was removed from office, and to be really sure after he was dead, and to be completely sure after his body was cremated and the ashes scattered throughout various locations in Siberia. Of course, what should have happened after '02 was that there be worldwide condemnation of the horrible, blatant bias toward Korea and how it screwed over at least two contenders, followed by FIFA coming down on them like a meteor and banning them for at least three World Cups (which honestly wouldn't have affected their chances in the slightest). Instead everyone dances and prances and makes merry and jokes and gets all cute about the "home field advantage", the most blatant corruption since the Cold War-era Olympics gets completely laughed off, and FIFA does nothing. (And of course the diehard apologists have since come out of the woodwork, because that's what this messed-up world needs right now. ) This set the precedent of outright rigging a World Cup to be perfectly fine, and don't think for a millisecond that the power brokers within Russian soccer haven't taken notice. They're going to try to mess things up big time, and the only question is whether or not they succeed. Remember, Korea just barely failed to pull it off (they lost the semifinal and 3rd place matches by 1 goal), and Russia has a long, illustrious history of gaming the system and getting away with it. So fingers crossed. That's all I got.

Huh.

Okay, I guess I could pull for England. They're kinda due.
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
... DDD advances if one other team also goes DDD, and in this case I believe it's settle with a coin toss since both will have the exact same GD.

I honestly have to wonder just how the realities of the round-robin system and how the line between pass and fail can be so incredibly thin affects the mentality of the teams that are on the bubble after two rounds. For one thing, I feel sorry for any squad that gets put in a situation where goal differential is going to make the difference, because "running up the score" is flat-out impossible. Maybe it happens on occasion at the peewee level, but not on the world stage with the most elite players of each nation. Furthermore, adding offensive pressure at the sacrifice of leaving ones own net more vulnerable (a common desperation tactic in hockey)...well, that really isn't an option, because if you give up a goal at any time, ever, even if you're hammering the opposing goalkeeper it could be 30 minutes or more before these efforts bear fruit, and that just gets you back to where you were before.

As for Russia...I'm just hoping for the best at this point. Sheesh, I know that Qatar or UAE or wherever was an incredibly stupid choice because it gets kinda hot in the Mideast in the summer, but THIS was the fallback?? It continues to baffle me that a backwards, repressive human rights nightmare for its entire existence continues to get prestigious international sporting events. After the utter debacle that was the Sochi Olympics, at minimum Russia should've been denied the honor of hosting anything until Vladimir Putin was removed from office, and to be really sure after he was dead, and to be completely sure after his body was cremated and the ashes scattered throughout various locations in Siberia. Of course, what should have happened after '02 was that there be worldwide condemnation of the horrible, blatant bias toward Korea and how it screwed over at least two contenders, followed by FIFA coming down on them like a meteor and banning them for at least three World Cups (which honestly wouldn't have affected their chances in the slightest). Instead everyone dances and prances and makes merry and jokes and gets all cute about the "home field advantage", the most blatant corruption since the Cold War-era Olympics gets completely laughed off, and FIFA does nothing. (And of course the diehard apologists have since come out of the woodwork, because that's what this messed-up world needs right now. ) This set the precedent of outright rigging a World Cup to be perfectly fine, and don't think for a millisecond that the power brokers within Russian soccer haven't taken notice. They're going to try to mess things up big time, and the only question is whether or not they succeed. Remember, Korea just barely failed to pull it off (they lost the semifinal and 3rd place matches by 1 goal), and Russia has a long, illustrious history of gaming the system and getting away with it. So fingers crossed. That's all I got.

Huh.

Okay, I guess I could pull for England. They're kinda due.
Fun mathematical analysis. One small detail: the two teams with DDD would certainly each have the same goal differential, but before we get to drawing lots we look at number of goals scored...which might not be the same. (Also, there's the "fair play" consideration before the lots, so number of yellow and red cards might vary as well.)

But you're right that it's hard to get into the next round with three ties. Which leads to my favorite soccer trivia question (okay, I don't know very many soccer trivia questions, but I like it anyway):

What was the only undefeated team that participated in the 2010 World Cup?
Old Today, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Read here about a bizarre game between Barbados and Grenada trying to qualify for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. In a nutshell, Barbados would advance if they won by two goals, or in overtime. If not, Grenada would advance. With three minutes left, Barbados was ahead by one goal, but that wasn't good enough. They deliberately scored an own goal to tie the score, hoping to win in overtime. That left three minutes for Grenada to score in either goal to advance.

Quote:
As for Russia...I'm just hoping for the best at this point. Sheesh, I know that Qatar or UAE or wherever was an incredibly stupid choice because it gets kinda hot in the Mideast in the summer, but THIS was the fallback??
This is not the fallback. The next World Cup, in 2022, will be in Qatar.
Old Today, 12:10 AM

Quote:
It's impossible to advance with less than 3 points
If you had a group where one team won all their games, and the other games were all draws, then the teams’ points would be 9, 2, 2, 2, so a team with 2 points would go through.
Old Today, 12:17 AM

And the other nitpick: you CAN advance, in theory, with just two points.

Team A beats everyone.
Teams B, C, and D each tie their other two games against each other.

A has 9 points and advances
B, C, and D each have just two points. One advances.

ETA: And now I see that while I was scooping that ice cream, someone else scooped me. Oh well!

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; Today at 12:18 AM. Reason: The post above this one hadn;t been there when i started
Old Today, 01:01 AM

With DKW's epic rant, I am curious; what is the view of most South Koreans towards the 2002 officiating accusations? Do they acknowledge it, deny it, or "both sides did it?"
Old Today, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
But you're right that it's hard to get into the next round with three ties. Which leads to my favorite soccer trivia question (okay, I don't know very many soccer trivia questions, but I like it anyway):

What was the only undefeated team that participated in the 2010 World Cup?
New Zealand in Group F Their three draws weren't enough to advance, but they did finish one point ahead of defending champions Italy. Spain lost their first game against Switzerland.

Last edited by lisiate; Today at 04:04 AM.
Old Today, 09:14 AM

I'm not sure what the Russian strategy was on the free kick. The left side of their wall pulled and blocked an Uruguayan as if they were playing American football leaving the right side of the goalface wide open. Easy goal for Jaws Suarez.
Old Today, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Read here about a bizarre game between Barbados and Grenada trying to qualify for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. In a nutshell, Barbados would advance if they won by two goals, or in overtime. If not, Grenada would advance. With three minutes left, Barbados was ahead by one goal, but that wasn't good enough. They deliberately scored an own goal to tie the score, hoping to win in overtime. That left three minutes for Grenada to score in either goal to advance.
There are a few other tales of utter chicanery and weirdness in soccer history. About them, I feel conflicted: on the one hand, they are abhorrent, the opposite of sportsmanlike; they go 100% against the spirit of the game and they leave a very bad “aftertaste”. On the other, sometimes you cannot help but grudgingly admire the cheekiness of the parties involved. Some of the other stories:

-A match that ended 149-0.

-Thailand-Indonesia in the 1998 Tiger’s Cup.

-The “Disgrace of Gijón” (1982 World Cup).

That last incident led to changes in the scheduling of World Cup games from then on: the last games of each group are now played at the same time to diminish the chances of chicanery knowing what you would need to go through.

However, in this World Cup I am seeing potential echoes of that last one... Right know, in Group C, France and Denmark have a guaranteed pass to the round of 16 if they tie the game. Denmark would NOT pass if they lose to France and Australia wins against Peru with enough of a goal difference to put them ahead of Denmark. I think that the temptation to “reach an agreement” and tie the game (thus guaranteeing both teams to pass to the next round, France first in its group and Denmark second) is going to be overwhelming...

What do you think?

Last edited by JoseB; Today at 09:20 AM.
Old Today, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Easy goal for Jaws Suarez.
My favorite Premier-League football chant: "Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside"
Old Today, 09:44 AM

Russia really are a reflection of Putin: thuggish and bullying the little guys. They have shown almost nothing in this match. And what in gods name was their defender thinking about with the tackle that led to his second yellow? What could have been an interesting match is a one-sided briefest.
Old Today, 09:45 AM

The question that all the soccer pundits have been pretending to entertain, "are Russia this good?", can be safely put to rest.
Old Today, 09:53 AM

Quote:
The question that all the soccer pundits have been pretending to entertain, "are Russia this good?", can be safely put to rest.
I couldn't agree more.

Their only glimmer of hope is that they have been a lot better in the second half. It will be hard for them down to 10 but if they score first the crowd gets back into it and then anything is possible.