Old 04-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Naah, no way geolocating is actually be a part of it.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Space Laser Unified Granularity Gravitational Observatory

or maybe the memorial

Stephen's Lachrymose Ululating Gryphon ...
Old 04-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth naita:

It does appear to matter if the sphere is changing shape and gravity has a finite speed though. You couldn't integrate over the actual shape of the mass, since the gravitational influence of the various bits take longer the further away they are, and since the bits are now moving, the apparent shape they form in aggregate is no longer spherical.
OK, now you've got me wondering about this, too: The closer half of a star collapsing should be indistinguishable from the entire star collapsing, at least for a few moments when you can't yet tell whether the far half is collapsing... but one of those is spherically symmetric, and the other isn't. I think that the key lies in the forces that are causing (or preventing) the star to collapse: Not just mass but also pressure is a source of gravity, and so the effect of those forces might compensate for the changes from the mass.

Oh, and the U in "Sluggo" could plausibly be "underground". One of the improvements in KAGRA is putting it deep underground to help isolate it from potential noise sources. And given the value in having instruments spread across the globe, "southern latitude" is pretty good for SL. So now we just have one extra G to account for.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Oh, and the U in "Sluggo" could plausibly be "underground". One of the improvements in KAGRA is putting it deep underground to help isolate it from potential noise sources. And given the value in having instruments spread across the globe, "southern latitude" is pretty good for SL. So now we just have one extra G to account for.

Got it, we just make sure it's all on the Gawler Craton, in Austrailia!
Southern Latitude Underground Growler Graviton Observatory.

Do they need another one there?

Tris
Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Southern Latitude Undersea Geolocating Graviton Observatory?
"So why is the facility underwater?"

"We needed a U."

"Underground?"

Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
"So why is the facility underwater?"

"We needed a U."

"Underground?"

Heh!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't put it past some physicists. When Alpher and Gamow published their groundbreaking paper on the Big Bang, they invited Hans Bethe in as co-author, just so the author list would be αβγ.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I wouldn't put it past some physicists. When Alpher and Gamow published their groundbreaking paper on the Big Bang, they invited Hans Bethe in as co-author, just so the author list would be αβγ.
The way I heard it, Alpher was not happy that Gamow invited Bethe to join the paper, since the gimmick would naturally lead to Alpher (the most junior by far) being overshadowed.

Cite https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=4505414
"Not surprisingly, Alpher took exception. He feared that crediting Bethe would diminish how the rest of world perceived his own contribution to the research. Alpher's name was already overshadowed by Gamow's co-authorship, because Alpher was the young Ph.D. student and Gamow the famous physicist, and adding Bethe's even more eminent name would only make things worse for him. Alpher had done more than his fair share of the work, and now it seemed that he was going to receive only a tiny fraction of the credit."

Last edited by Andy L; 04-19-2019 at 07:21 PM.