Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:20 PM
obbn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Right. That's why there have been no safety improvements in cars, child seats, seat belts, or anything like that since cars were invented.

What was the last safety improvement to guns that was designed to make it harder for children to shoot themselves or others?
Send to me there are plenty of safety measures concerning firearms. Let's see, we have safes, trigger locks, certain models like those produced by Taurus that have an actual key that can be used to disable the firearm. And most importantly, we have education. There was a timer in this country where firearm safety was taught in schools, but no more.

But like any safety device it procedure, it won't work unless the human puts then into action. And I have made muy opinion vey cheese on what should happen to firearm owners who do not secure their weapons.

But that still doesn't change the fact that thousands of children die each year due to cars, yet not a peep from those concerned with children. Do I think cars should be banned? Nope, but I do think the tragic deaths of children are used by anti gun activist to bolster their end goal of completely remove firearms from the general public.
  #352  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. You be you!
What will you do if Scotus decides you no longer have the freedom to criticize the President?

And that actually was a law at one time and was upheld by the then SCTUS. So this isnt a "when martians land"- this happened.
  #353  
Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
The Constitution was not handed down from God, we have the ability to change it if we choose to do so.
For some strange reason, there isn't a large enough majority who want to change the 2nd. Unless you start from the premise that gun owners are ignorant or insane, you might do well to ask how apparently moral and rational people support gun ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Guns extract a heavy price. The benefits we get from that price should be clearer than they are.
I agree. The >500,000 instances a year when guns prevented robbery, assault, rape or murder should be well documented enough that they can't be dismissed as anecdotal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Maybe one of them fellow citizens can tell me what those benefits are besides "protect myself from criminals with guns".
  • Criminals with knives and baseball bats.
  • Criminals who are much bigger and stronger than I am.
  • A gang of criminals who outnumber me.
  • A psycho so high on meth that nothing short of catastrophic damage will stop him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
A dog will do the same thing.
Like a pit bull? I thought people wanted to ban "assault dogs".
  #354  
Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
For some strange reason, there isn't a large enough majority who want to change the 2nd. Unless you start from the premise that gun owners are ignorant or insane, you might do well to ask how apparently moral and rational people support gun ownership.
Come now, there are lots more reasons than ignorance or insanity that gun owners could have that I still don't think are worthy reasons. We don't have to mischaracterize gun owners to disagree with them.

An I'm pretty sure that it's not the case that a majority of "moral and rational" people support gun ownership. Most people probably don't care strongly either way.
  #355  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 34,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Come now, there are lots more reasons than ignorance or insanity that gun owners could have that I still don't think are worthy reasons. We don't have to mischaracterize gun owners to disagree with them.

An I'm pretty sure that it's not the case that a majority of "moral and rational" people support gun ownership. Most people probably don't care strongly either way.
I think the majority of Americans (whether they are moral and rational or not) support the IDEA of gun ownership still, even if they choose not to have one themselves. I think I fall into this category (I also think I'm rational...I'm not sure about moral). I choose not to own a gun, but it's my choice. And I want to have that choice as long as the 2nd has not been changed, through the process we have, to say something different than it does (not re-re-re-interpreted to now say it's not actually a personal right and you can ban them all).


I do get that many don't see the reasons as 'worthy reasons' for why people make the choices or want the things they do. During Prohibition we obviously had a lot of folks who thought that constitutional limitations on purchasing alcohol would be a good thing. Lots of folks don't understand or acknowledge any reasons for tobacco use, and I think cases can be made to support that stance in both of those cases...and guns too. But the thing is, it's subjective as I've said, and highly dependent on the point of view of those making the assessment of 'worthy reasons' or not 'worthy reasons'. That's why I don't list things for those, because it's a huge disconnect and really, in the end, it's moot. Instead, I look at this from a risk perspective, personally, and, frankly, the risk is lower than many things we, as a society condone or allow. The caveat to that is...societies tolerance for risk changes over time, as do attitudes. In the past, the slaughter from cars without seat belts or basic safety devices was staggering, but we blithely accepted it. The numbers of deaths from alcohol and tobacco were equally staggering, and, again, we accepted that. But things changed, and tighter restrictions were put in place to mitigate the number of deaths...which is why they have dropped over time (as well as just the general public attitudes and education of the public on the actual risks that they were ignoring).
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #356  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
What will you do if Scotus decides you no longer have the freedom to criticize the President?

And that actually was a law at one time and was upheld by the then SCTUS. So this isnt a "when martians land"- this happened.
The same thing I always do - "I disagree with that law, even though it's Constitutional". Something it seems like you are incapable of doing.

For a real-world example, I disagree with the Federal laws against marijuana. If somebody asked me how I felt about them, I wouldn't chicken out and say "I prefer laws that are Constitutional" I'd say what I felt about that particular law. I don't prefer it, actually.
  #357  
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
Send to me there are plenty of safety measures concerning firearms. Let's see, we have safes, trigger locks, certain models like those produced by Taurus that have an actual key that can be used to disable the firearm. And most importantly, we have education. There was a timer in this country where firearm safety was taught in schools, but no more
Right now, it's mandatory that babies be in car seats when traveling in a car. Would you favor mandatory trigger locks for guns in homes where toddlers are present?

Quote:
But that still doesn't change the fact that thousands of children die each year due to cars, yet not a peep from those concerned with children.
About how many tweets, articles, blogs, message board posts or whatever would you need to see to rescind your statement of "not a peep from those concerned with children"?
  #358  
Old 04-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
It's not of no importance. It's actually the whole reason I think we shouldn't have so many guns. Criminals have an endless supply of weapons to use on their victims.

The goal is to take guns away from the criminals who murder people. I know they're not going to follow the law that says "don't murder people with guns" but they have no choice but to follow the law of supply and demand.
Nope, it isn't important. You are, maybe, owed an answer. You aren't owed the answer you want to hear.
  #359  
Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 PM
obbn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 2,440
[QUOTE=manson1972;21596296]Right now, it's mandatory that babies be in car seats when traveling in a car. Would you favor mandatory trigger locks for guns in homes where toddlers are present?
[/QUOTE
No, I wouldn't mandate trigger locks as the only means of securing a firearm. I have no problem with a law requiring the safe storage of a firearm, be that in a safe, use of a trigger lock or whatever. The only issue I have with a trigger lock is that makes the firearm all but useless if needed immediately. If you secure you're firearms in a safe, then trigger locks are redundant.

So while I can't say I would be in favor of mandatory trigger locks I can say that if you own a firearm it is up to you, the owner, to ensure that your firearm is safety stored and inaccessible to children. If a child gets possessing of your firearm then I think the full weight of the system should rain down on your head. In fact I'll go one further and say if you are irresponsible enough to allow children to get access to your firearms you should not be allowed to own them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
About how many tweets, articles, blogs, message board posts or whatever would you need to see to rescind your statement of "not a peep from those concerned with children"?
How many people do you hear screaming for cars to be banned? I haven't heard a single one.

The point I'm making is that while anti gun activist surely do care about children, saving children is not their primary goal, the removal of firearms from the general population is. And because of that they'll exploit tragedies involving firearms while ignoring other causes of childhood deaths that are way more prevalent.

Last edited by obbn; 04-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.
  #360  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Fear Itself is offline
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
A psycho so high on meth that nothing short of catastrophic damage will stop him.
Does this prospect actually take up brain cycles in your self-defense calculus?
  #361  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:09 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
No, I wouldn't mandate trigger locks as the only means of securing a firearm. I have no problem with a law requiring the safe storage of a firearm, be that in a safe, use of a trigger lock or whatever. The only issue I have with a trigger lock is that makes the firearm all but useless if needed immediately. If you secure you're firearms in a safe, then trigger locks are redundant
Does storage in a safe make firearms useless if needed immediately?

Quote:
If a child gets possessing of your firearm then I think the full weight of the system should rain down on your head. In fact I'll go one further and say if you are irresponsible enough to allow children to get access to your firearms you should not be allowed to own them
Agreement in Great Debates. Hail Jeebus!



Quote:
The point I'm making is that while anti gun activist surely do care about children, saving children is not their primary goal, the removal of firearms from the general population is. And because of that they'll exploit tragedies involving firearms while ignoring other causes of childhood deaths that are way more prevalent.
Not everyone who wants to see less deaths by guns is an "anti-gun activist"
  #362  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:40 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
The same thing I always do - "I disagree with that law, even though it's Constitutional". Something it seems like you are incapable of doing.

For a real-world example, I disagree with the Federal laws against marijuana. If somebody asked me how I felt about them, I wouldn't chicken out and say "I prefer laws that are Constitutional" I'd say what I felt about that particular law. I don't prefer it, actually.

Well, when the Supreme court makes a gun ruling I dont like, i will let you know. Heller was a excellent ruling as Chicago, DC and SF went too far in banning all handguns. Note that that kind of radical gun grabbing is what it took to make SCOTUS make a new gun ruling, so those cities are 100% at fault for Heller.
  #363  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Right now, it's mandatory that babies be in car seats when traveling in a car. Would you favor mandatory trigger locks for guns in homes where toddlers are present?
Or safes or similar safety, yes. In fact I have said so. However, i am against laws that require everyone, even those with no kids to keep their guns locked up.
  #364  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:44 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Does storage in a safe make firearms useless if needed immediately?


...
There are safes that open when you hand goes in with your fingers, they open REALLY fast, but no child can open them. Not cheap, but if I had a kid and wanted fast, safe handgun access, I'd get one.
  #365  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 AM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
{...} I disagree with the Federal laws against marijuana. {...}
Apparently law enforcement confiscation of contraband private property, and I have to assume that includes someone's baggie of weed, is unconstitutional,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
{...} nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation {...}
CMC fnord!
  #366  
Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,763
The weed isn't being taken for public use, and if you steal something or are otherwise not in legal possession of something, it isn't your property.

Regards,
Shodan
  #367  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Kearsen1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 42
[QUOTE=obbn;21596362]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Right now, it's mandatory that babies be in car seats when traveling in a car. Would you favor mandatory trigger locks for guns in homes where toddlers are present?
[/QUOTE
No, I wouldn't mandate trigger locks as the only means of securing a firearm. I have no problem with a law requiring the safe storage of a firearm, be that in a safe, use of a trigger lock or whatever. The only issue I have with a trigger lock is that makes the firearm all but useless if needed immediately. If you secure you're firearms in a safe, then trigger locks are redundant.

So while I can't say I would be in favor of mandatory trigger locks I can say that if you own a firearm it is up to you, the owner, to ensure that your firearm is safety stored and inaccessible to children. If a child gets possessing of your firearm then I think the full weight of the system should rain down on your head. In fact I'll go one further and say if you are irresponsible enough to allow children to get access to your firearms you should not be allowed to own them.



How many people do you hear screaming for cars to be banned? I haven't heard a single one.

The point I'm making is that while anti gun activist surely do care about children, saving children is not their primary goal, the removal of firearms from the general population is. And because of that they'll exploit tragedies involving firearms while ignoring other causes of childhood deaths that are way more prevalent.
I agree, you shouldn't be allowed to own EITHER one. The gun or the child.
  #368  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 38,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself
A dog will do the same thing.
I have both. Just like I have both smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.

Regards,
Shodan
  #369  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:24 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
However, i am against laws that require everyone, even those with no kids to keep their guns locked up.
Unfortunately for you, if the law is Constitutional, you would prefer it
  #370  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Nope. Besides 1) I asked if that poster carried a fire extinguisher around, not was there one in their car or kitchen.

2) Who carries a fire extinguisher in their car? Is that a normal thing? (Serious question)
Answers like this are why I generally skip your posts and seldom respond to you.
  #371  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Answers like this are why I generally skip your posts and seldom respond to you.
I've wondered why I feel an emptiness in my soul sometimes.
  #372  
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I've wondered why I feel an emptiness in my soul sometimes.
LOL! You believe in souls? LOL!
  #373  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
A psycho so high on meth that nothing short of catastrophic damage will stop him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Does this prospect actually take up brain cycles in your self-defense calculus?
If you took the bus through the same parts of town I do, it wouldn't seem so far-fetched.
  #374  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:15 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
...

2) Who carries a fire extinguisher in their car? Is that a normal thing? (Serious question)
Yes, that is a normal thing.


http://carfireexperts.com/why-carry-...uisher-in-car/

https://www.leiferlaw.com/5-reasons-...r-in-your-car/

Sometimes I wonder about you.....
  #375  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Where, in either of those cites, does it say that carrying a fire extinguisher in your car is a normal thing?

CMC fnord!
  #376  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
If you took the bus through the same parts of town I do, it wouldn't seem so far-fetched.

I was on vacation up in Vancouver a while back and was walking with the family through a few sketchy parts of town. Homeless tent cities, drug users that sort of thing. Made me nervous. Was actually on the way to the Vancouver Police Museum, surprisingly enough. (Nice little museum)

While there I was perusing a graph of their crime statistics and looked at the legend for the homicide rate. Took me a minute to find the line on the graph though. Because it was right along the x axis. About 15 homicides a year, in the whole city.

In that moment I developed a very different feeling about the “sketchy” areas of the city. They suddenly didn’t seem quite so dangerous anymore. I believe I laughed at how nervous I had been given that I’m more likely to be killed in my hometown than in their “dangerous” neighborhoods.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #377  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:22 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Strange, I don't think I know anybody in real life who has a fire extinguisher in their car. I'll ask around.
  #378  
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Well, in my unscientific poll of 5 of my coworkers, nobody had a fire extinguisher in their car. And there were questions on what someone would actually do with a fire extinguisher in their car. None of us would actually try to put out our car if it was on fire.

Last edited by manson1972; 04-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.
  #379  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Well, in my unscientific poll of 5 of my coworkers, nobody had a fire extinguisher in their car. And there were questions on what someone would actually do with a fire extinguisher in their car. None of us would actually try to put out our car if it was on fire.
I used mine, once, to put out a fire in somebody else's car...but I know that isn't going to mean anything to somebody who doesn't so much as bother with a spare tire. Clearly, you just don't grasp the idea of preparedness and so cling to the idea that anybody who is prepared is some kind of outlier.
  #380  
Old 04-19-2019, 01:17 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
I used mine, once, to put out a fire in somebody else's car...but I know that isn't going to mean anything to somebody who doesn't so much as bother with a spare tire. Clearly, you just don't grasp the idea of preparedness and so cling to the idea that anybody who is prepared is some kind of outlier.
I understand preparedness. I just don't care enough about improbable events to be prepared for them. Sorry I don't have your level of fear throughout my day.
  #381  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:37 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I understand preparedness. I just don't care enough about improbable events to be prepared for them. Sorry I don't have your level of fear throughout my day.
Fear? See, that's exactly what I mean. Since I don't coast blithely along without even the most minimal preparation for bad events, I must be afraid. What's your strategy (other than stand around with your thumb up your ass and a stupid look on your face) in the event of a flat tire?
  #382  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,518
When seconds count, the police are AAA is just minutes away.
(And they'll change a flat tire FOR me too!)

CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 04-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.
  #383  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Fear? See, that's exactly what I mean. Since I don't coast blithely along without even the most minimal preparation for bad events, I must be afraid. What's your strategy (other than stand around with your thumb up your ass and a stupid look on your face) in the event of a flat tire?
Well, MY strategy is to stand around looking hopeless hoping that some samaratin will pull over and give me a hand. I'm not at all handy. They can use the jack, lug wrench, and spare in my trunk.

The reason why non-fearful() persons characterize your desire for "self-protection" as fear is because they perceive the downsides for packing a gun to be way worse than you do. Sort of like how you don't walk the streets in full platemail armor because it's too inconvenient. If a person did walk around in full plate all the time, and stated that they were doing so for protection, we would reasonably conclude that they're very worried about attacks, to put themselves through that.

Or even just a bulletproof vest. Now, I've never worn a bulletproof vest, but I don't gather they're *that* inconvenient. Not like a suit of platemail anyway. So why don't people wear them around all the time? Probably because the mild inconvenience is sufficient to deter their use because it overrides the near-nonexistent threat level the average person deals with.

To many people who are aware of the statistics, owning a gun seems *very* inconvenient, since guns have a nonzero chance of contributing to the sudden deaths of their owners, particularly if their owners are sometimes depressed. (I myself theorize that death would be inconvenient.) Combining that with a threat level that seems not even to justify wearing a flak jacket to the swimming pool, carrying a gun for protection seems like overkill. And if you're carrying it specifically for protection (as opposed to for fun, to look cool, or to murder with), then that would mean that you're misjudging the threat level. Badly.
  #384  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 34,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Well, MY strategy is to stand around looking hopeless hoping that some samaratin will pull over and give me a hand. I'm not at all handy. They can use the jack, lug wrench, and spare in my trunk.

The reason why non-fearful() persons characterize your desire for "self-protection" as fear is because they perceive the downsides for packing a gun to be way worse than you do. Sort of like how you don't walk the streets in full platemail armor because it's too inconvenient. If a person did walk around in full plate all the time, and stated that they were doing so for protection, we would reasonably conclude that they're very worried about attacks, to put themselves through that.

Or even just a bulletproof vest. Now, I've never worn a bulletproof vest, but I don't gather they're *that* inconvenient. Not like a suit of platemail anyway. So why don't people wear them around all the time? Probably because the mild inconvenience is sufficient to deter their use because it overrides the near-nonexistent threat level the average person deals with.

To many people who are aware of the statistics, owning a gun seems *very* inconvenient, since guns have a nonzero chance of contributing to the sudden deaths of their owners, particularly if their owners are sometimes depressed. (I myself theorize that death would be inconvenient.) Combining that with a threat level that seems not even to justify wearing a flak jacket to the swimming pool, carrying a gun for protection seems like overkill. And if you're carrying it specifically for protection (as opposed to for fun, to look cool, or to murder with), then that would mean that you're misjudging the threat level. Badly.
The thing is, people assess risk in different ways. To ME, having a gun on me would be more risky from a lot of perspectives, and the probability of me having to use it is low enough that the risk doesn't come close to the reward. After all, it's a low probability event, and if you DO need it there is a non-zero chance that it would be ME charged with a crime, or that even having it with me wouldn't prevent the event, or I could make it worse by hitting a bystander. All of that adds up to a higher risk than reward.

The same goes for many things we do all the time. People are bad at risk assessment is one of my (probably terribly annoying) mantras, but it's true. But, as with other things that our society condones, it leaves it up to the individual to CHOOSE what they want to do. Do I choose to drink and drive, or not drink. Do I choose to drive while texting, or while talking on my cell phone, or not to drive at all? Do I choose to smoke, or not smoke? Do I choose to have a gun in my home for protection, or in my car for protection, or on my person for protection...or not have a gun at all? It's up to me to make the risk analysis. I, of course, am great at risk assessment.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #385  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
The thing is, people assess risk in different ways. To ME, having a gun on me would be more risky from a lot of perspectives, and the probability of me having to use it is low enough that the risk doesn't come close to the reward. After all, it's a low probability event, and if you DO need it there is a non-zero chance that it would be ME charged with a crime, or that even having it with me wouldn't prevent the event, or I could make it worse by hitting a bystander. All of that adds up to a higher risk than reward.

The same goes for many things we do all the time. People are bad at risk assessment is one of my (probably terribly annoying) mantras, but it's true. But, as with other things that our society condones, it leaves it up to the individual to CHOOSE what they want to do. Do I choose to drink and drive, or not drink. Do I choose to drive while texting, or while talking on my cell phone, or not to drive at all? Do I choose to smoke, or not smoke? Do I choose to have a gun in my home for protection, or in my car for protection, or on my person for protection...or not have a gun at all? It's up to me to make the risk analysis. I, of course, am great at risk assessment.
Er, if you choose to drink and drive, that's choosing to break the law, and the state will happily punish you for it if it catches you. That's not really a good example of society "condoning" an action.

Society also weighs in on smoking in some places, texting and driving in other places, and yep, packing heat in other places. (Like courtrooms.) It's merely a quirk of american society that people are allowed to freely misjudge risk in other places, at least regarding guns, which could in theory be changed if our congresspeople ever developed balls.
  #386  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 34,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Er, if you choose to drink and drive, that's choosing to break the law, and the state will happily punish you for it if it catches you. That's not really a good example of society "condoning" an action.

Society also weighs in on smoking in some places, texting and driving in other places, and yep, packing heat in other places. (Like courtrooms.) It's merely a quirk of american society that people are allowed to freely misjudge risk in other places, at least regarding guns, which could in theory be changed if our congresspeople ever developed balls.
If I choose to have a gun and use it responsibly and legally, then I'm fine. If I choose to drink responsibly and legally, I'm fine. I think it's the same thing. No, it's not a quirk of American society...other societies allow, say, you to smoke in public places like bars or buildings or all sorts of places you can't in the US. Same goes for drinking. Our quirks are just different than others, but most open societies allow their citizens to 'freely misjudge risk' and choose for themselves. They often choose...poorly. Sorry, but firearms are a lesser risk than many others that people do, not just in the US but around the world.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #387  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
When seconds count, the police are AAA is just minutes away.
(And they'll change a flat tire FOR me too!)

CMC fnord!
If you have a spare. And now the AAA response times is about 40 minutes out here.
  #388  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Fear? See, that's exactly what I mean. Since I don't coast blithely along without even the most minimal preparation for bad events, I must be afraid. What's your strategy (other than stand around with your thumb up your ass and a stupid look on your face) in the event of a flat tire?
I call the road-side assistance that my insurance offers, and sit in my car listening to the radio, smoking, and playing idle games on my phone until they show up.

Why? What do YOU do?

What would you do if a passenger in your car was having a cardiac event? Would you pull out the defibrillator you carry in your glove box? You DO have a portable defibrillator in your car, don't you? Or would you stand around with your thumb up your ass and a stupid look on your face while your passenger died?
  #389  
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I call the road-side assistance that my insurance offers, and sit in my car listening to the radio, smoking, and playing idle games on my phone until they show up.

Why? What do YOU do?

What would you do if a passenger in your car was having a cardiac event? Would you pull out the defibrillator you carry in your glove box? You DO have a portable defibrillator in your car, don't you? Or would you stand around with your thumb up your ass and a stupid look on your face while your passenger died?
Smoking? Ok, that explains a lot.

I would call 911, which comes quite a bit faster than AAA.


But in case of a flat, yes, I have a full sized spare & a jack, a first aid kid,jumper cables and yes, both a chemical fire extinguisher and a fire blanket. And I have used all of them, on several occasions. I am a volunteer S&R Ranger, and have helped many people out.
  #390  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
If you took the bus through the same parts of town I do, it wouldn't seem so far-fetched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
In that moment I developed a very different feeling about the “sketchy” areas of the city. They suddenly didn’t seem quite so dangerous anymore. I believe I laughed at how nervous I had been given that I’m more likely to be killed in my hometown than in their “dangerous” neighborhoods.
Actually I wasn't commenting on the area, I was thinking of the people who actually get on the bus in that area. Almost all of the people on the bus are ordinary decent people; the few who aren't REALLY aren't. The guy babbling a nonstop monologue in a loud voice. The raucous group that eventually descends into a screaming argument with threats of violence. The guy who rocks in his seat the whole trip downtown, too wired to sit still. The bus company here is starting to install plexiglass barriers to shield the drivers- that's a reflection of the bus drivers' assessment of their situation.
  #391  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I call the road-side assistance that my insurance offers, and sit in my car listening to the radio, smoking, and playing idle games on my phone until they show up.

Why? What do YOU do?

What would you do if a passenger in your car was having a cardiac event? Would you pull out the defibrillator you carry in your glove box? You DO have a portable defibrillator in your car, don't you? Or would you stand around with your thumb up your ass and a stupid look on your face while your passenger died?
You exist at an Eloi level of fecklessness and try to spin it as a virtue...I've seen some goofy shit over the years, but you are truly something new.

If I get a flat, I change the tire using the jack and the spare that come with every car from the factory (what did you do with yours? Or maybe you just don't know where it is because lifting the carpet in the trunk is hard?) Then I drive to a tire shop to get the flat one repaired or replaced as necessary.

Likening carrying a defibrillator around to being able to use the spare and jack that fucking came with your car because flat tires are fucking common is more of your Eloi bullshit.

Seems your whole life strategy is to suck your thumb/cigarette until a competent individual shows up to do what you can't. I think it must suck to be that infantilized, but YMMV.
  #392  
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 39,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
If I get a flat, I change the tire using the jack and the spare that come with every car from the factory (what did you do with yours? Or maybe you just don't know where it is because lifting the carpet in the trunk is hard?) ....

A Few newer econocars are doing without a spare.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017