Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2018, 04:43 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
Chinese Manufacturers: "Ozone Layer? Whatever! LOL"

To the Chinese manufacturers of foam insulation currently FUCKING UP the Ozone Layer by using the illegal chemical CFC-11, thanks a lot you slimy, cynical, greedy, bottom feeding scumballs.

To the indifferent and most likely corrupt officials that should be enforcing the agreed to ban on CFC-11 but are not doing that at all: eat shit you bloated, parasitic, spunk trumpets.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44738952

I know as an American, merely by existing, I make the overall environmental situation worse. And our government is not currently a paragon of environmental decency and virtue right now. However, the ozone hole problem was on its way to being fixed, until these avaricious fleas on the ass of humanity started spewing out this shit into the air.

They should be dragged out into the street and hung by their toenails. But instead, because using this chemical is the cheapest way to go, they will merrily continue to use it, with nary a concern, as long as they stay current with the bribing schedule.

Who cares about ultraviolet radiation when there is Yuan to be made?

Fucking disgusting.

Last edited by by-tor; 07-09-2018 at 04:44 PM.
  #2  
Old 07-09-2018, 04:51 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
Maybe I will write my powerless senator a letter of futile outrage, so that it can be discarded, unread by some intern.

Last edited by by-tor; 07-09-2018 at 04:53 PM.
  #3  
Old 07-09-2018, 04:54 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 15,490
You say this as if you're unaware that there's a long tradition of Chinese businesses cutting any unhealthy corner possible to save a jiao.

A particularly nasty example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil
  #4  
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 19,532
Yep. Biz as usual in China. I'm shocked that you are shocked.
  #5  
Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
This is a little more than just poisoning some babies milk. It's the fucking Ozone Layer. You know, that thing that keeps us from getting skin cancer and eye damage, not to mention damage to other forms of life such as crops. But thanks for your useless cynicism. I am not shocked, I am pissed off.
  #6  
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 19,532
nm

Last edited by Gatopescado; 07-09-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Forget it Jake. It's Chinatown.
  #7  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Isamu Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 5,599
How do you feel about the USA refusing to abide by the Kyoto Protocol?
  #8  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
I feel bad about it and think it is moronic. Why?

Unlike global warming, this problem was on the way to getting fixed. Now it isn't due to these specific Chinese manufacturers.
  #9  
Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 PM
Isamu Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 5,599
Cool, just checking for consistancy.

Let's not buy from these Chinese companies or the companies they supply.
  #10  
Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 AM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Twitter: @MeasureMeasure
Posts: 13,536
Trump is unlikely to do anything about this. So the initiative falls to other world leaders.

Abe? Merkel? May? We're waiting.

Maybe Putin could get involved. He has Trump thoroughly cowed. The US threatened Ecuador with retaliation if they sponsored a toothless baby formula resolution; when Russia stepped in the Trump admin fell swiftly silent.

(The following day Trump expressed outrage at the NYT article. Trump's demonstrably false response is outlined here.)

So perhaps Putin could exert pressure on the Chinese.
  #11  
Old 07-10-2018, 01:38 AM
voltaire's Avatar
voltaire voltaire is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,034
It seems the way they see it is that other countries were able to have their industrial revolutions without pesky environmentalists limiting their growth. Now it's just their turn. Unfortunately, the world just can't survive China and India following in our footsteps.
  #12  
Old 07-10-2018, 02:25 AM
Tastes of Chocolate Tastes of Chocolate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: slightly north of center
Posts: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
It seems the way they see it is that other countries were able to have their industrial revolutions without pesky environmentalists limiting their growth. Now it's just their turn. Unfortunately, the world just can't survive China and India following in our footsteps.
The US and Europe definitely benefited from dumping our garbage into the air, land and water. We gleefully used up resources, getting to where we are. Now we know better, and are rich enough to have money to spend on other options. If we truly want the rest of the world to skip this benefit, we should be willing to put our money where our mouth is. Money and technology is what is needed to skip to this stage. Time for those of us that have made it to help out the up and comers.
  #13  
Old 07-10-2018, 04:08 AM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 28,911
And China is one of the biggest sources of oceanic plastic. Cite:

Quote:
Just 10 rivers are carrying 90% of the plastic entering the oceans, a study has found.

Two of them are in Africa - the Nile and the Niger - while the others are in Asia: the Indus, Ganges, Amur, Mekong, Pearl, Hai he, Yellow and Yangtze.

...

:: Yangtze River, China

This was the worst offender, according to research published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology. It carries up to 1.5 million tonnes of plastic into the sea every year. In contrast, the Thames puts 18 tonnes of plastic into the ocean.
Colour me utterly shocked - shocked, I tell you - that China doesn't give a fig for the rest of the world.
  #14  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,366
And by unilaterally pulling out of things like the Paris Accord, the TPP, and other global agreements, all we're doing is encouraging more countries to operate strictly in their own interests. I'm in absolute agreement that China's environmental record is atrocious and it constitutes a threat to the planet, but even before the Trump era, as the world's largest and most powerful country we've been in a position to work with China and our international partners on environmental sustainability, and we perpetually face opposition from business groups at home to deliver on our own promises. And now that we're in the Trump era, we're abandoning those mechanisms and replacing a world based on cooperation with one based on competition. So, expect more of the same, I guess. Writing to your congressman ain't gonna do shit.
  #15  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Colour me utterly shocked - shocked, I tell you - that China doesn't give a fig for the rest of the world.
They don't even care about their own environment, let alone the rest of the world. How else to explain the deadly smog that plagues Beijing and other cities, the e-waste contamination of Guiyu, and the numerous other ways in which the environment in China is becoming incompatible with longevity and quality of life? The western world, having been industrialized first, learned all those lessons a long time ago. China seems determined to ignore our long decades of experience with environmental degradation and take the exact same miserable path that we did.
  #16  
Old 07-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 33,105
Probably will take something like the Yangtze catching fire to get their attention.
  #17  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 AM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 15,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
This is a little more than just poisoning some babies milk. It's the fucking Ozone Layer. You know, that thing that keeps us from getting skin cancer and eye damage, not to mention damage to other forms of life such as crops. But thanks for your useless cynicism. I am not shocked, I am pissed off.
You wouldn't say that if it was your baby...

But why pick this? There's a legion of shitty things China does that affect us all- for example, they emit nearly TWICE the CO2 that the US does in absolute numbers. And I'm a bit more worried about AGW/climate change than the ozone layer overall.
  #18  
Old 07-10-2018, 04:42 PM
scr4 scr4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
There's a legion of shitty things China does that affect us all- for example, they emit nearly TWICE the CO2 that the US does in absolute numbers.
But since China's population is more than 4 times that of the USA, that means their per-capita CO2 emission is less than 1/2 that of the USA.
  #19  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
The US and Europe definitely benefited from dumping our garbage into the air, land and water. We gleefully used up resources, getting to where we are. Now we know better, and are rich enough to have money to spend on other options. If we truly want the rest of the world to skip this benefit, we should be willing to put our money where our mouth is. Money and technology is what is needed to skip to this stage. Time for those of us that have made it to help out the up and comers.

YES ! Thank you ! All you hypocrites acting like we weren't doing the EXACT SAME SHIT a couple generations ago should really shut the fuck up. And/or be part of the solution.
For fuck's sake, we managed to fuck up the rain. The rain.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.

Last edited by Kobal2; 07-11-2018 at 04:14 AM.
  #20  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 23,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Probably will take something like the Yangtze catching fire to get their attention.
Not unknown in China...
  #21  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:55 AM
The Librarian's Avatar
The Librarian The Librarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Delft
Posts: 941
Really? Americans pointing their finger to anyone else regarding the environment?

That is rich.
  #22  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:15 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 23,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Really? Americans pointing their finger to anyone else regarding the environment?

That is rich.
And that is the fallacy of tu quoque
  #23  
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Really? Americans pointing their finger to anyone else regarding the environment?

That is rich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes Of Chocolate
The US and Europe definitely benefited from dumping our garbage into the air, land and water. We gleefully used up resources, getting to where we are. Now we know better, and are rich enough to have money to spend on other options. If we truly want the rest of the world to skip this benefit, we should be willing to put our money where our mouth is. Money and technology is what is needed to skip to this stage. Time for those of us that have made it to help out the up and comers.
Although ozone destruction and CO2 output have global consequences, China is mostly fouling its own nest. They are breathing polluted air and eating food grown in polluted soil and irrigated with polluted water. In the US, it took us decades to learn that we couldn't just spew shit into the environment and hope for the best. It wasn't a question of having enough excess wealth to go green, it was a matter of learning that we had to go green. There was also the matter of developing green tech that didn't previously exist. Now that we (not just the US, but the global we) know it's necessary to run green, and we have the tech to make it happen, China is clearly making a choice to compromise the health and quality of life of its citizens in favor of economic growth.

Which, frankly, is a shortsighted choice. Workers who are sick all the time (or are taking care of sick family members) are less productive, and spend more on health care. Kids who grow up in polluted environs miss out on school due to illness (ask the parent of any kid with asthma), and suffer from neurological deficits due to the direct effect of pollution on their brains; they grow up to be less productive, less intelligent adults than they would be if pollution were held under control.
  #24  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM
XT's Avatar
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 33,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
To the Chinese manufacturers of foam insulation currently FUCKING UP the Ozone Layer by using the illegal chemical CFC-11, thanks a lot you slimy, cynical, greedy, bottom feeding scumballs.

To the indifferent and most likely corrupt officials that should be enforcing the agreed to ban on CFC-11 but are not doing that at all: eat shit you bloated, parasitic, spunk trumpets.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-44738952

I know as an American, merely by existing, I make the overall environmental situation worse. And our government is not currently a paragon of environmental decency and virtue right now. However, the ozone hole problem was on its way to being fixed, until these avaricious fleas on the ass of humanity started spewing out this shit into the air.

They should be dragged out into the street and hung by their toenails. But instead, because using this chemical is the cheapest way to go, they will merrily continue to use it, with nary a concern, as long as they stay current with the bribing schedule.

Who cares about ultraviolet radiation when there is Yuan to be made?

Fucking disgusting.
China always seems to get a pass on this board. The standard argument, and true to form in this thread is 'well, America is worse'. So, you can't criticize China if you are an American, and if you aren't an American you need to ensure you bring up the US anyway, even when a thread is about some other country.

That said, where have you been? China is one of the worst environmental nations on the planet. While much is said about their green energy program (much of which they stole the technology from other nations), no one around here seems to talk about the fact that they are also building more coal fired plants than anyone. They have managed to pollute a large percentage of their water supply, to make their air quality some of the worst in the world, to pump out more CO2 than I think the next 5 countries (including the US) combined, to adulterate their products and build ghost cities to prop up their real estate market (which are falling apart since they are build so cheaply and quickly), and a host of other things (we won't even get into their human rights violations). But it's all good because the US is evil and we should talk about the US more. We could, of course, have a pit thread about the US, but if anyone mentions another country it's going to be shouted down (rightfully) as tu quoque. Thus far, I only see Mr. Dibble pointing this out.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #25  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 AM
XT's Avatar
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 33,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Trump is unlikely to do anything about this. So the initiative falls to other world leaders.

Abe? Merkel? May? We're waiting.

Maybe Putin could get involved. He has Trump thoroughly cowed. The US threatened Ecuador with retaliation if they sponsored a toothless baby formula resolution; when Russia stepped in the Trump admin fell swiftly silent.

(The following day Trump expressed outrage at the NYT article. Trump's demonstrably false response is outlined here.)

So perhaps Putin could exert pressure on the Chinese.
Not that Trump is going after their CFC production (he probably doesn't know or care about the issue), but I'd say his latest escalation in the trade war (if he actually goes through with $500 billion in additional tariffs) will have the unexpected consequence of curbing the issue in the OP at least marginally. Really, though, it needs to be the consumers, especially consumers of China's vast export business, who need to take a hand and vote with their pocketbooks. For my part, I check everything I buy now. There are bar code readers that can tell you what company sells or manufactures the product you are buying and if you dig a bit you can figure out if it's a Chinese company who ultimately made it. I do this for all our pet food and pet products after having a favored dog die due to adulterated Chinese pet food about 20 years ago. I won't buy anything from China if I can help it. That's hard with some things, as they manufacture parts that are used in a wide swath of products (cars, cell phones, etc) but I draw the line at anything related to food for the family or our pets.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!

Last edited by XT; 07-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
  #26  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
China always seems to get a pass on this board. The standard argument, and true to form in this thread is 'well, America is worse'. So, you can't criticize China if you are an American, and if you aren't an American you need to ensure you bring up the US anyway, even when a thread is about some other country.
You can criticize China all you want, but others are going to put such criticism into its proper context by pointing a few inconvenient truths that Americans don't always want to hear. Yes, to some extent China should get a pass because its economic growth until recently has depended on occupying the industrial niche in the global economy.

As much as any country, China's government wants to move away from that space. They also, more than any country on earth, have more to lose by abandoning environmental sustainability. See, unlike the political power that controls the United States, China doesn't deny global climate change, and it doesn't deny the impact that it's going to have on its country and political future. It does have nearly one and a half billion people to look out for. And unlike Americans, China understands its own history, even if it tries to manufacturing reality in the present. China's history is full of political revolutions that have produced rivers of blood, and the relationship between environmental pressure and political stability is so real that even our own military dedicates time to analyze the topic. China's not blind. It knows what's at stake. But it, like any other country, has to address near-term reality as well as long-term reality.

China's not the one abandoning the Paris accords. It's not China's head of state who believes global climate change is a hoax. It's not their head of state who's removing his own government's scientific data on global climate change, destroying its environmental protection agency, removing environmental regulations, and engaging in a Maoist-like purge of scientists who have authored papers supporting already well-established science on humankind's impact on climate.

Americans can criticize China, but they'll probably just tell Americans to shut the fuck up and come back to the discussion when a majority of their country lives in a world of fact-based reality.

Last edited by asahi; 07-11-2018 at 09:20 AM.
  #27  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
They don't even care about their own environment, let alone the rest of the world. How else to explain the deadly smog that plagues Beijing and other cities, the e-waste contamination of Guiyu, and the numerous other ways in which the environment in China is becoming incompatible with longevity and quality of life? The western world, having been industrialized first, learned all those lessons a long time ago. China seems determined to ignore our long decades of experience with environmental degradation and take the exact same miserable path that we did.
China's e-waste is the world's e-waste. About 70% of the e-waste in China has come from outside its own borders, most likely from North America. It's rich how Americans can claim that they're environmentally enlightened when all they've done is shit in their neighbor's outhouse instead of their own.
  #28  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM
XT's Avatar
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 33,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You can criticize China all you want, but others are going to put such criticism into its proper context by pointing a few inconvenient truths that Americans don't always want to hear. Yes, to some extent China should get a pass because its economic growth until recently has depended on occupying the industrial niche in the global economy.

As much as any country, China's government wants to move away from that space. They also, more than any country on earth, have more to lose by abandoning environmental sustainability. See, unlike the political power that controls the United States, China doesn't deny global climate change, and it doesn't deny the impact that it's going to have on its country and political future. It does have nearly one and a half billion people to look out for. And unlike Americans, China understands its own history, even if it tries to manufacturing reality in the present. China's history is full of political revolutions that have produced rivers of blood, and the relationship between environmental pressure and political stability is so real that even our own military dedicates time to analyze the topic. China's not blind. It knows what's at stake. But it, like any other country, has to address near-term reality as well as long-term reality.

China's not the one abandoning the Paris accords. It's not China's head of state who believes global climate change is a hoax. It's not their head of state who's removing his own government's scientific data on global climate change, destroying its environmental protection agency, removing environmental regulations, and engaging in a Maoist-like purge of scientists who have authored papers supporting already well-established science on humankind's impact on climate.

Americans can criticize China, but they'll probably just tell Americans to shut the fuck up and come back to the discussion when a majority of their country lives in a world of fact-based reality.
You figure that at this late date that anyone is NOT aware of the US's environmental record? That it just needs to be brought up...again...and again...and again...in every thread about everything? Do we REALLY need to discuss the US in every thread, regardless of the topic?

As to China and the Paris Accords, the reason they aren't abandoning them is that they got a pass on them. It allows them to do pretty much what they have been doing, and it's so vague and self regulatory that there is no reason they would abandon them. Even if we only narrowly talk about CO2 (which isn't what the OP was about, but like America it has to be brought into every discussion about the environment), China produces more than the US and the other top 4 emitters...combined. And this is perfectly cool with the Paris Accords because China is a developing country that hasn't had all the breaks and centuries of CO2 emissions, etc etc. They won't have to start cracking down until, IIRC, the 2030's (been a while since I've looked into it so could be way off on this). But broadening from CO2, the Paris Accords don't say shit about other environmental pollutants. Yet as the OP pointed out, CFC's are a threat as well...and one that most of the world had gotten under control a decade ago.

Most of what China does wrt harming the environment really hurts them the most. But some things go beyond their borders. And people need to wake up and stop giving them a pass because the US does bad things. You can, well, rail against both you know. You could go whole hog and pit China (just as something different) AND feel the US is a bunch of slimy dog environmental destroyers as well! And you (not you specifically, but those who feel the need to do this sort of thing) could, at this late date, assume everyone is aware that the US are a bunch of slimy dog polluters and not feel the need to bring them up in every discussion.

Or not. Hell, some folks still feel the need to bring up Bush (or Obama) in discussions that aren't about them because to quoque is so much fun.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #29  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 28,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
China's e-waste is the world's e-waste. About 70% of the e-waste in China has come from outside its own borders, most likely from North America.
Cite?

And that doesn't explain or pardon the stuff that ends up in the sea.
  #30  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 29,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
You say this as if you're unaware that there's a long tradition of Chinese businesses cutting any unhealthy corner possible to save a jiao.

A particularly nasty example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil
Let's not forget the animals they killed with melamine added to pet foods in 2007.
  #31  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
China's e-waste is the world's e-waste. About 70% of the e-waste in China has come from outside its own borders, most likely from North America.
It's not the mere fact that they're processing e-waste - it's about how they do it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
"When recycling is done properly, it's a good thing for the environment," said Ma, the Greenpeace spokesman in Beijing.
"But when recycling is done in primitive ways like we have seen in China with the electronic waste, it is hugely devastating for the local environment."
  #32  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Cite?
The US is not a signatory to the Basel Convention and has been exporting most of its e-waste to China and India for decades.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 07-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
  #33  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
China always seems to get a pass on this board. The standard argument, and true to form in this thread is 'well, America is worse'. So, you can't criticize China if you are an American, and if you aren't an American you need to ensure you bring up the US anyway, even when a thread is about some other country.

You must be from the Mid-West, to have all that straw available...
It's not about "America is worse". It's not about the US Army. It's about Western countries rapid post-war industrialization and economic development. It's about how *we* (all of we, Europe included) fucked up the environment thoroughly in our own get rich quick scheme. We fucked it up for them, too. And now we collectively want to turn around and tut-tut the next guys doing it because they aren't doing clean solar high tech like us. I swear, it's like looking down on those backwards, barbaric countries that don't have gay marriage when HELLO, gays were lynched out herein my lifetime. Fuck that.


You made the big bucks dirty. They want the big bucks, too, and if they have to do it dirty, so be it. Why should they be stuck in the 1940s ? Why should they forever and ever be "that country that makes all the cheap shit" ? They want the SUVs, the high speed internet, the air conditioning, the junk food, the 5$ dresses sewn by children from third world countries with no arms. They want, in fact, to be like America or Europe. Who the fuck are you to tell them they shouldn't get that because, um, that's like, inconvenient to you ? Are you going to give the big bucks to them so they don't have to get it all the dirty way ? No.

Then sit down and shut up. Just like America and Europe, when they're done doing it wrong and fast, they'll go back to do it right and sustainable. In fact they're already in the process of turning that dial.



And if this bullshit rant *really* was about preserving the planet for all of us, you'd be tripping over yourself to offer them (and Africa next) cheap, heavily discounted clean tech to let them skip the shit part of the equation. Are you ? No. So sit down. And shut up.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #34  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,366
China is America's landfill, and America's finally had enough of it.

Film at 11.
  #35  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 11,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
It's about how *we* (all of we, Europe included) fucked up the environment thoroughly in our own get rich quick scheme. We fucked it up for them, too. And now we collectively want to turn around and tut-tut the next guys doing it because they aren't doing clean solar high tech like us.
Environmental awareness wasn't always a thing. We did it dirty back then because we didn't know any better. The EPA wasn't postponed until 1970 because we finally said "OK, we're rich enough, let's start tidying up a little." It was created in 1970 because we finally looked around and said "ohmygod, we are really fucking this place up, and it's gotta stop."

China doesn't have that excuse.
  #36  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 PM
XT's Avatar
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 33,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
You must be from the Mid-West, to have all that straw available...
It's not about "America is worse". It's not about the US Army. It's about Western countries rapid post-war industrialization and economic development. It's about how *we* (all of we, Europe included) fucked up the environment thoroughly in our own get rich quick scheme. We fucked it up for them, too. And now we collectively want to turn around and tut-tut the next guys doing it because they aren't doing clean solar high tech like us. I swear, it's like looking down on those backwards, barbaric countries that don't have gay marriage when HELLO, gays were lynched out herein my lifetime. Fuck that.


You made the big bucks dirty. They want the big bucks, too, and if they have to do it dirty, so be it. Why should they be stuck in the 1940s ? Why should they forever and ever be "that country that makes all the cheap shit" ? They want the SUVs, the high speed internet, the air conditioning, the junk food, the 5$ dresses sewn by children from third world countries with no arms. They want, in fact, to be like America or Europe. Who the fuck are you to tell them they shouldn't get that because, um, that's like, inconvenient to you ? Are you going to give the big bucks to them so they don't have to get it all the dirty way ? No.

Then sit down and shut up. Just like America and Europe, when they're done doing it wrong and fast, they'll go back to do it right and sustainable. In fact they're already in the process of turning that dial.



And if this bullshit rant *really* was about preserving the planet for all of us, you'd be tripping over yourself to offer them (and Africa next) cheap, heavily discounted clean tech to let them skip the shit part of the equation. Are you ? No. So sit down. And shut up.
Let's start off with the sit down and shut up part. I'll respond by saying stick it up your ass and fuck you very much. Now that we've established we are in the pit, let's move on.

The bulk of your post seems to be about strawmen and a rant about my supposed position. Let's start with your accusation of my post being a strawman. It's laughable. You might want to actually look up the definition, as the second part of my post will be about the irony of you calling my post a strawman then proceeding to, well, strawman me and it. As to my post being a strawman, examples of exactly what I'm talking about abound...and I don't even need to go searching. I'll simply invite folks to scroll up. Hell, they could simply read the majority of your post for examples. What I was referring too is the tendency to bring the US into every discussion, regardless of the topic. Want to pit China about it's environment? Well, let's talk about the US! Want to talk about immigration in Europe? Well, let's talk about the US! Discussions about dictatorships in Russia or the Philippines, in China or somewhere else? Certainly let's bring up the US! It gets old...just like it gets old when board conservatives want to endlessly bring up Obama or Clinton (either one), or board liberals want to bring Bush into every discussion (used to be Reagan...probably be Trump and Bush after this cluster fuck presidency has run its course).

Now, your post, on the other hand, is classic strawman. From evil big buck gaining corporations to tossing in gay marriage to the rest, it has zero to do with what I was saying. It's a strawman, in short. My WAG is you, rightfully figured that you could do a 'San Dimas High School football rulez!!!' and count on the fact that you are a popular poster and no one would call you out on your horseshit, but horseshit it is. You could have argued against my point and said something like 'I'll talk about the US in a tu quoque manner all I want, dipshit, and there 'taint nuffun' you can do about it!' and I probably would have shrugged and just moved on. Instead, you accused me of a strawman while posting basically a huge strawman, so I figured, fuck it, in for a penny, in for a pound.

This being the pit and our relative popularity being opposite (and you being more aligned with this board than I am in any case) I fully expect the flames to be turned to full. That's ok. Said what I wanted to say and made my continued annoyance with every thread on every subject being about the US plain...as I've done when this stupid shit has come up in the past. And as I expect it will in the future.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #37  
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 PM
bump bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 15,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
But since China's population is more than 4 times that of the USA, that means their per-capita CO2 emission is less than 1/2 that of the USA.
Who the fuck cares? The atmosphere certainly doesn't.
  #38  
Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
All this rhetoric and America bashing is great and all but it does not change the simple fact that the illegal use of CFC-11 by Chinese manufacturers is reversing the healing of the Ozone hole.

Yes, I realize that I am yelling at the wind here but sometimes you got to yell when you are pissed off, even if it is useless.

I also realize that Chinese pollution is nothing new. What is new however, is this reversing of the healing of the Ozone layer.

I admitted in the OP that as an American, I am a part of the overall world environmental problem (along with almost every other human). However, on this specific problem, the Ozone hole, the entire world, including America, got its shit together for once! And now that amazing worldwide effort is being reversed by some short shortsighted greed on the part of a very small group of cheating criminals.

It pissed me off when I read it and it still does. I did not see a thread on it here and that is why I wrote one, because I think it is important and also because I was/am pissed.

Meanwhile there are plenty of threads on global warming. This thread is not about global warming.

I am not wrong and my being an American has nothing to do with the actual facts.

So fuck off with your shut the fuck ups.

Last edited by by-tor; 07-11-2018 at 05:07 PM.
  #39  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Environmental awareness wasn't always a thing. We did it dirty back then because we didn't know any better. The EPA wasn't postponed until 1970 because we finally said "OK, we're rich enough, let's start tidying up a little." It was created in 1970 because we finally looked around and said "ohmygod, we are really fucking this place up, and it's gotta stop."

China doesn't have that excuse.

Yeah, I'm sure it was a real stunner when we found out that dumping toxic waste and heavy metals in the nearest river turned out to not be a good idea . We've known about industrial pollution since the smog of London started killing people, and that was nearly *two centuries ago*.
We knew. We just didn't give a fuck because we were busy making money and progress and infrastructure and improving comfort & living standards in the short term and the environment was someone else's problem. Hell, we're *still* doing that - hydrofracking, anyone ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by XT
The bulk of your post seems to be about strawmen and a rant about my supposed position. Let's start with your accusation of my post being a strawman. It's laughable. You might want to actually look up the definition, as the second part of my post will be about the irony of you calling my post a strawman then proceeding to, well, strawman me and it. As to my post being a strawman, examples of exactly what I'm talking about abound...and I don't even need to go searching. I'll simply invite folks to scroll up. Hell, they could simply read the majority of your post for examples. What I was referring too is the tendency to bring the US into every discussion, regardless of the topic. Want to pit China about it's environment? Well, let's talk about the US! Want to talk about immigration in Europe? Well, let's talk about the US! Discussions about dictatorships in Russia or the Philippines, in China or somewhere else? Certainly let's bring up the US! It gets old...just like it gets old when board conservatives want to endlessly bring up Obama or Clinton (either one), or board liberals want to bring Bush into every discussion (used to be Reagan...probably be Trump and Bush after this cluster fuck presidency has run its course).

Bitch, I'm French. Notice how I kept saying "we" and "the West" ? Now go on, tell me again how everything I say is so US-centric it's getting tiresome.



Quote:
Now, your post, on the other hand, is classic strawman. From evil big buck gaining corporations to tossing in gay marriage to the rest, it has zero to do with what I was saying. It's a strawman, in short. My WAG is you, rightfully figured that you could do a 'San Dimas High School football rulez!!!' and count on the fact that you are a popular poster and no one would call you out on your horseshit, but horseshit it is.

I'm a popular poster ? Fuck me, y'all inconsiderate assholes could have bothered telling me that. Now I gotta have all these business cards reprinted !


Quote:
You could have argued against my point and said something like 'I'll talk about the US in a tu quoque manner all I want, dipshit, and there 'taint nuffun' you can do about it!' and I probably would have shrugged and just moved on. Instead, you accused me of a strawman while posting basically a huge strawman, so I figured, fuck it, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I accused you of strawmaning because that's what you were doing. Nobody was giving China "a pass" before you strolled along claiming the whole world did ; and there was one post by one poster chuckling about Americans not really having the best of pedestals to give anybody else shit about environmental policies - which is fair fucking criticism. It was before Trump, it probably will be for a long time after him.


I also note that you seemed to have sailed right by the more salient points of my post. I do wonder why that is. Or the points must have sailed right by you. Either way. For example :

Quote:
Now, your post, on the other hand, is classic strawman. From evil big buck gaining corporations to tossing in gay marriage to the rest, it has zero to do with what I was saying.
It has absolutely to do with what you were saying, because it is the same bullshit : First World people wagging their fingers at the rest of the world for not doing things the way we began doing them yesterday, historically speaking. It was bullshit to do that in the 18th century, it's still bullshit doing that now. Never seems to go out of style though...
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #40  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
So no one from the first world is allowed to say anything concerning the environment because of history and everyone else can trash it as much as they want? That is just stupid.

Last edited by by-tor; 07-11-2018 at 06:44 PM.
  #41  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Quartz Quartz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home of the haggis
Posts: 28,911
I predict that a few Chinese businessmen will get prosecuted over this and some minor ones will get executed. The Chinese do not like losing face and will deliver up a few scapegoats.
  #42  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Gatopescado's Avatar
Gatopescado Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 19,532
How do children with no arms sew?
  #43  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
So no one from the first world is allowed to say anything concerning the environment because of history and everyone else can trash it as much as they want? That is just stupid.

Again : if you really are concerned about Chinese industry's effect on the environment, give the Chinese the tools to preserve the environment while they're busy improving their quality of life. If you want them to go green before they, like us, do it reluctantly when there's literally no other alternative, subsidize and incentivize that shit. Be part of the solution, be the change you want to see in the world and all that.

Or shut yo hypocritical mouth and admit it's less about the environment and more about looking down on those eeeevil Chinese who have the unmitigated gall to do the exact same shit we did - and do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
With their teeth, obviously.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.

Last edited by Kobal2; 07-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.
  #44  
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 PM
by-tor by-tor is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 953
First of all, that "looking down on the evil Chinese" bullshit, is in your head, not mine.

Secondly, you seem to be saying that only if a single first world person can finance an entire industry wide change (in a another country no less) and does so, do they have a right to have an opinion about said industry destroying the environment. That is a ridiculous position. I am done with you.

Lastly, China has the second largest economy in the world. How long do they get a pass?

Last edited by by-tor; 07-11-2018 at 08:10 PM.
  #45  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Measure for Measure's Avatar
Measure for Measure Measure for Measure is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Twitter: @MeasureMeasure
Posts: 13,536
C'mon gang. Chinese companies are affecting the ozone layer in a measurable and pronounced way. For the sake of mild improvements in the product. The cost/benefit is off the charts. It shouldn't be that heavy a lift for the Chinese government to pull its act together.

This is very different from global warming, because curbing CO2 is vastly more expensive. It's also different from China's ocean plastic (where they play a much smaller share of a much smaller problem) or even their local air pollution (the greatest burden of which falls on their own citizenry).

"The environment" isn't a monolith. Some acts have worse consequences with thin benefits.

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 07-11-2018 at 11:25 PM.
  #46  
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
First of all, that "looking down on the evil Chinese" bullshit, is in your head, not mine.

Would you mind reading to the class the first line of your OP again, please ?


Quote:
Secondly, you seem to be saying that only if a single first world person can finance an entire industry wide change (in a another country no less) and does so, do they have a right to have an opinion about said industry destroying the environment. That is a ridiculous position. I am done with you.

I'm saying your opinion is full of shit, not that you're not allowed to have it.


Quote:
Lastly, China has the second largest economy in the world. How long do they get a pass?

Again with that "getting a pass". How is telling *you* to do something about it instead of bloviating (if you're actually concerned about the issue) giving China a pass ?
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #47  
Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 29,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
How do children with no arms sew?
Poorly.
  #48  
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
I am not wrong and my being an American has nothing to do with the actual facts.

So fuck off with your shut the fuck ups.
Actually, being American has everything to do with the actual facts.

You raise a valid concern about China's lax enforcement of CFC-11. The good news is that there might be remedies for that. Coordinated international economic pressure could involve sanctioning companies that don't play by the rules.

The bad news is, we just democratically elected a regime that is abandoning international agreements and protocols of all kinds. You can bark about China's atrocious environmental record all you want, but our own voting behavior has removed the best tool to deal with this problem from the toolbox and thrown it into the river. There's absolutely no incentive for China to play by international rules anymore.
  #49  
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM
XT's Avatar
XT XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 33,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it was a real stunner when we found out that dumping toxic waste and heavy metals in the nearest river turned out to not be a good idea . We've known about industrial pollution since the smog of London started killing people, and that was nearly *two centuries ago*.
We knew. We just didn't give a fuck because we were busy making money and progress and infrastructure and improving comfort & living standards in the short term and the environment was someone else's problem. Hell, we're *still* doing that - hydrofracking, anyone ?






Bitch, I'm French. Notice how I kept saying "we" and "the West" ? Now go on, tell me again how everything I say is so US-centric it's getting tiresome.






I'm a popular poster ? Fuck me, y'all inconsiderate assholes could have bothered telling me that. Now I gotta have all these business cards reprinted !





I accused you of strawmaning because that's what you were doing. Nobody was giving China "a pass" before you strolled along claiming the whole world did ; and there was one post by one poster chuckling about Americans not really having the best of pedestals to give anybody else shit about environmental policies - which is fair fucking criticism. It was before Trump, it probably will be for a long time after him.


I also note that you seemed to have sailed right by the more salient points of my post. I do wonder why that is. Or the points must have sailed right by you. Either way. For example :


It has absolutely to do with what you were saying, because it is the same bullshit : First World people wagging their fingers at the rest of the world for not doing things the way we began doing them yesterday, historically speaking. It was bullshit to do that in the 18th century, it's still bullshit doing that now. Never seems to go out of style though...
I did have to smile at the 'bitch' part. But, just as an example of what I'm talking about...you've posted multiple times to this pit thread on China and your only mention of China has been a bullshit whine about them not being sophisticated enough or having the right 'tool's (I guess the ones they have stolen aren't good enough or something). Basically an excuse. It's ironic that you are really the best example in this thread of exactly what I'm talking about. Sort of the poster child.

At any rate, as I said I'm pretty much done. Said what I wanted to say. And you've been very good at giving China a pass. So I think our jobs are done.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #50  
Old 07-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
At any rate, as I said I'm pretty much done. Said what I wanted to say. And you've been very good at giving China a pass. So I think our jobs are done.

Again, since that definitely has a hard time sinking in : being against your ideas doesn't mean I'm for the ideas/behaviours of the people you're shitting on. As my good friend sings it, "You agree with me ? Good for you ! But I'll never ever agree with you."
Politics aren't boolean, you simple-minded twit.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017