Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Can anybody easily understand Leo Bloom?

Prompted by https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=856802

This isn't meant to be an all out attack, but since it's asking a question about another poster with a negative tint to it, the Pit is the only appropriate place. I think Leo Bloom's posts are borderline incomprehensible. When he gets defensive he suddenly talks a lot clearer and blames pilers on as though there are only a few people who have trouble with his message and everybody else reads him clearly. How many people are there who can read Leo Bloom quickly and clearly, the way that I assume you can read this post?

If you can make out what he says only after reparsing it in your head a few times, that is not quickly and clearly, neither is it quick and clear if you ignore some digressions because you have no idea what their point is, but still assume you've got the meat of what he's trying to say.

Last edited by Mr Shine; 06-16-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 AM

I can understand him. He posts in drunk-speak. His name is a reference to a James Joyce character, meaning he probably has internalized and glorified the idea of drinking and being some kind of lovably-eccentric drunken literary character. Well, it's less lovable than he thinks. But it's still kind of lovable, honestly. His posts are frequently quite amusing. I'd say in the final analysis, I'd rather have him here than not.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:50 AM

I often have a hard time, but not with the post linked in the OP, which was clear enough even though I don't really do Thread Games. I didn't even have to click his example links to know what he was talking about.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
I can understand him. He posts in drunk-speak. His name is a reference to a James Joyce character, meaning he probably has internalized and glorified the idea of drinking and being some kind of lovably-eccentric drunken literary character. Well, it's less lovable than he thinks. But it's still kind of lovable, honestly. His posts are frequently quite amusing. I'd say in the final analysis, I'd rather have him here than not.
My understanding is that is not where his name comes from.

I think it’s from The Producers
Old 06-16-2018, 12:05 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
My understanding is that is not where his name comes from.

I think it’s from The Producers
Leo frequently quotes from James Joyce, and appears to know both Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. I'm pretty sure he had Leopold Bloom in mind.

Leo has said that he likes to write in a creative fashion. Unfortunately, he mistakes complexity for creativity. He complicates his posts so much that no one can understand them. He writes in that fashion to entertain himself, without understanding that he annoys the reader.

Last edited by Colibri; 06-16-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

In real life, he's Major Amos J. Hoople.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

I have never found any of his posts incomprehensible, as far as I can remember. The one linked in the OP seems clear enough to me. What about it is not understandable, OP?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
In real life, he's Major Amos J. Hoople.
D'oh! That's Major Amos B. Hoople.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Was unaware of Leo Bloom prior to this but after reading the OP's link I came away with the impression of someone coming across like a dougie_monty-like obtuse dandy.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Well, now it all makes sense.

I could google the good Major, but I find a certain amusement in being unable to comprehend a post in a "Is this other guy over here incomprehensible?" thread.

ETA: I really miss dougie monty, and would often look to see what he was getting his knickers twisted about. But he was painfully obvious, to the point of taking everything literally and being offended.

Last edited by digs; 06-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
I have never found any of his posts incomprehensible, as far as I can remember. The one linked in the OP seems clear enough to me. What about it is not understandable, OP?

The one in the link is not that bad by Leo Bloom standards, it's just the defensiveness shown in that thread that prompted this one. By Leo Bloom standards the OP of the linked thread has something like a 3/10 incomprehensibility factor, but is still pointlessly meandering with several useless digressions.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:14 PM

Not the first time he's been pitted for this, IIRC.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time around was for a particularly confusing post, even for him, about how elevators work, or something of the sort? Can't find it now, but man it was a real beaut.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Has he ever said: "Harrumph- egad!"
Old 06-16-2018, 01:34 PM

I read the first sentence in the OP's link, and have no idea what it meant. I read it once, just once.
I'm not here to pick on Leo Bloom, BTW. I don't have an opinion one way or the other. But if I read a sentence like that in an OP, I'll be moving on.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I read the first sentence in the OP's link, and have no idea what it meant. I read it once, just once.
I'm not here to pick on Leo Bloom, BTW. I don't have an opinion one way or the other. But if I read a sentence like that in an OP, I'll be moving on.
I was just going to post this. If I can't parse through one of his OPs the first time, I'm not about to try again.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Today is Bloomsday, isn’t it?

Should have saved this pitting for Major Hoopleday.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 06-16-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
How many people are there who can read Leo Bloom quickly and clearly, the way that I assume you can read this post?
I can. I've also read Ulysses. And I can sing all the songs from The Producers.

I like elucidator's jokes, too.

</shrug>.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:51 PM

He can be challenging. Sometimes it takes a second read. There's no speed reading through his posts to capture the heart of the matter. I generally find his posts worth the bit of extra effort, though. He could certainly reduce the challenge, while keeping the content, with a little bit of editing.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:59 PM

My problem with the linked thread is that the OP is a mess, the first few responses are asking him what the heck he meant, and Meesta Bloooom* waits two days (until after he saw this thread, maybe?) to drop back in and try to explain.

*I can't read his name without hearing the receptionist from the original Producers answer the phone with "Bi-yoll-ee-schtock oond Bloooom!"
Old 06-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

As someone who often edits and re-edits his sentences, I sympathize with those who write convoluted prose.

That last sentence took me 5 or 6 tries.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:08 PM

Some of my posts are often confused, so perhaps I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but ...
Quote:
Include me among those baffled by that OP. I think he's suggesting that some of the Thread Games threads have become more personal and he views that as a positive development. Did I guess that much correctly?

I'd have preferred that he make his point in a more straightforward way. And what's with terms like "intra-OPs"? Is it supposed to tantalize us to guess what such words mean?

One or two Dopers asked for clarification in a very polite way, and drew this insolent response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Tell me which sentences you don't understand. Start with the subject line, which, yes, misses the word "of" before "questions." Yes, the word "about"--doesn't match "regarding"--but it was a lapse because "asked" and "answered" really should be handled differently, but the whole "asked-and-answered" is considered (roughly here) as one set, and I would not let that slide in formal composition.
Asked: See the large type sentence with the question mark. It announce the query, and the rest of the OP. Even if there is not a single query mark in the rest of the post. I'm sorry if the missing "of" tripped you up....
Now I learn that, apparently, Leo Bloom isn't incoherent because he has trouble expressing clear thoughts, but because it's his deliberate stylistic fetish to appear incomprehensible?

I'll be interested to observe myself and see whether I read Bloom posts with greater or less attention in future.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Please don't. Asking for clarification is fine. In the above snark fest, I responded to your discrete and non-offensive post with "snark+" The was for you; the snark was to those who thought your post was part of their pile on.
The person you were before sat down once more*a flailing monkey is ever present=An old apple can get both high and low.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Some of my posts are often confused, so perhaps I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but ...

Include me among those baffled by that OP. I think he's suggesting that some of the Thread Games threads have become more personal and he views that as a positive development. Did I guess that much correctly?

Now see, when I finally sorta-guessed it, I thought he meant it as a negative development.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Now see, when I finally sorta-guessed it, I thought he meant it as a negative development.
I think that's because he sounds upset, or maybe it's just that usually a stream of words like that would be because someone was too mad to pause and choose their words wisely. After re-reading it, it looks it can be read either way, but I'm not convince that what he's upset about is as simple as "Thread games = more personal". And when he finally returns to the thread to scold everyone who asked for clarification, he's definitely pissed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'll be interested to observe myself and see whether I read Bloom posts with greater or less attention in future.
Yeah, for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to try "less attention", but I do have a fascination with dougie-level trainwrecks (well, more like slow-motion pile-ups involving multiple ice cream trucks)...
Old 06-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Maybe if you try reading through that thread with NO PRECONCEIVED IDEAS (I know, can't be done) you might see why Leo got so defensive. Some people seemed to have no trouble understanding and actually replied to the OP, but everyone else got really snotty about how they did not understand what he said, and some even said, basically, "as usual". Must be frustrating for Leo. It's true he doesn't use words of one syllable or present simple ideas. I don't know. Having to work a little to understand a post doesn't seem too burdensome to me.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Maybe if you try reading through that thread with NO PRECONCEIVED IDEAS (I know, can't be done) you might see why Leo got so defensive. Some people seemed to have no trouble understanding and actually replied to the OP, but everyone else got really snotty about how they did not understand what he said, and some even said, basically, "as usual". Must be frustrating for Leo. It's true he doesn't use words of one syllable or present simple ideas. I don't know. Having to work a little to understand a post doesn't seem too burdensome to me.
That’s not fair.

I spend my career reading complex scientific literature and enjoy fine literature. I found it virtually unintelligible, and his explanations did not help me.

That’s great it was easy for you, but to dismiss anyone else who had trouble as demanding simplistic words because we don’t want to work at it is just simply a crummy thing to say.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
That’s not fair.

I spend my career reading complex scientific literature and enjoy fine literature. I found it virtually unintelligible, and his explanations did not help me.

That’s great it was easy for you, but to dismiss anyone else who had trouble as demanding simplistic words because we don’t want to work at it is just simply a crummy thing to say.
OK, then, can you explain to me what part seems hard to understand? I feel like this has been asked before and the answer seemed to be "because the OP is always hard to follow". I certainly don't mean to say that everyone who didn't get it was asking for simple ideas simply expressed, but a few people did say if they didn't immediately grasp the first sentence of an OP they would go elsewhere.

Obviously that was not you. So please, parse it for me if you can?

Last edited by kayT; 06-16-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
OK, then, can you explain to me what part seems hard to understand? I feel like this has been asked before and the answer seemed to be "because the OP is always hard to follow". I certainly don't mean to say that everyone who didn't get it was asking for simple ideas simply expressed, but a few people did say if they didn't immediately grasp the first sentence of an OP they would go elsewhere.

I have no idea what an “intermittent topic’ within a “Thread games OP” means.

If I could figure that out, I’m not sure “as well as” is now comparing to, and a threads’ raison d’etre (which I know what teh term means) has to do with it.

What is an “intra-OP”/group topic? These are nonstandard ways of describing things, and I have no clue what they mean. So then comparing “Have you ever” to it helps me none.

He participates as an “intra-thread participant”- does that mean he posts?

So, as I posted in that thread- I tried to parse it to a couple of questions, in which the answers were just as confusing.

I asked:
Quote:
How would you describe how Thread games were?

How would you describe how Thread games are now?

Are you asking “Thread games were less personal before and do they now seem more about individual poster’s personal opinions?””
Quote:
Less personal. As to game proposals within OPs, and in entire OPs newly posted, as it seems to me, where the thread has sub-topics only about answering something with a personal response, ordinarily not related to topics where the temperature of the interplay (ie, "fighty" topics). Even though to some people preferring ale over stout, eg, can be as fighty as topics of the 2017 election.
“And in entire OPs newly posted’... has “sub topics”... “not related to topics where teh temperature of the interplay”...

Sure, I know the vocab and can piece bits together, but the overall question is utterly obscured. I don’t like the snarky responses to him either, but that doesn’t make me want to defend his posting as unquestionaingly clear.

Again, that’s great is was easy for you. You two speak the same language. But, leaving the snark against him aside, can’t you at all see how it could be (in good faith) hard for someone else?

And FWIW, I’m not asking anyone to explain it to me now. I got the jist and really am not interested in the particulars being explained to me.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:13 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

You've got to be kidding.

I'm also a professional writer and scientist, and Leo's prose is quite difficult to follow.

Quote:
It seems to me that the intermittent topics within some Thread Game OPs as well as the rai·son d'ê·tre of one entire OP have become a place where posters are asked and answered more or less truthfully (if the spirit of the players is in tune with the game) regarding the in-real-life facts and opinions behind the usernames.
What are "intermittent topics"? How is a raison d'etre a place? How can posters be both asked and answered in the same OP (or intermittent topics in the OP)?

Quote:
I'm thinking (Feb 2018) of many intra-OPs (occasional group questions) in the last year or so [??] of Baker's Dozen and, in particular, the brand new Have You Ever...?, which is only like that in premise, and is an even better example of what I suspect is something new as a way of interaction in the forum.
Again, it is very unclear what "intra-OPs (occasional group questions)" is intended to convey.

Yes, it's possible to get some sense of what is being asked after repeated readings, but it's by no means clear. About 75% of the words are unnecessary and only serve to create confusion.

Last edited by Colibri; 06-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:21 PM

I find that his questions are phrased is such a way to make them appear sophisticated, but are actually needlessly verbose and obfuscatory.
His M.O. seems to be: "Never use 5 words when two paragraphs will do."

ETA: this pitting is long overdue.

Last edited by beowulff; 06-16-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:29 PM
SD Curator of Critters

The thing is, Leo can write in a more straightforward way when he tries to. I don't know how much of his circumlocutionary style is just his habitual way of expressing himself, and how much is deliberate. But he's been told for years that his style is confusing. Rather than making more of an effort to write clearly, he gets defensive and snarky when people say they don't understand him.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The thing is, Leo can write in a more straightforward way when he tries to. I don't know how much of his circumlocutionary style is just his habitual way of expressing himself, and how much is deliberate. But he's been told for years that his style is confusing. Rather than making more of an effort to write clearly, he gets defensive and snarky when people say they don't understand him.
That’s the part that bugs me. In his latest thread he is asking us for input. He has a question and is inviting us to discuss it with him.

Writing is for communication and if the people he needs to interact with to get his question answered are telling him that his communication is getting in the way, don’t berate and be dismissive. Apparently he felt his reply to me was nice. I’ll take him at his word, but it sure didn’t feel that way.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Hey, I've taught students who are trying to understand Joyce, and I only occasionally understand Leo Bloom ...

ETA: Nobody uses convoluted English like that by accident, and works that hard to make a simple question that difficult.
I can't believe he's not doing it on purpose.

Last edited by digs; 06-16-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

In the thread in question, the first two posters who responded, including ITD, politely asked Leo to clarify what he was asking. But rather than actually try to be clearer, he gave this perfectly asinine response. He not only is snarky, he responds by just referring people back to his OP.

Quote:
Tell me which sentences you don't understand. Start with the subject line, which, yes, misses the word "of" before "questions." Yes, the word "about"--doesn't match "regarding"--but it was a lapse because "asked" and "answered" really should be handled differently, but the whole "asked-and-answered" is considered (roughly here) as one set, and I would not let that slide in formal composition.

The first poster asked this, which allowed the usual slow readers to pile on and have fun:

"Are you asking if questions and answers in thread games are revealing more personal information than they used to?..."

Asked: See the large type sentence with the question mark. It announce the query, and the rest of the OP. Even if there is not a single query mark in the rest of the post. I'm sorry if the missing "of" tripped you up.

"Are you concerned, intrigued, or delighted by this change?"

Answered: Did you read or understand the last sentence of OP?
Now I can understand him being annoyed by some of the other joking responses, but this kind of reply is totally counterproductive.

Later he says this, which demonstrates he can communicate clearly if he tries to (or maybe if he doesn't try to be deliberately complicated):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom
We talk often here about the way people interact on the board. I'm wondering if any of the old timers here have seen a change within Thread Games in particular.

Last edited by Colibri; 06-16-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Must be frustrating for Leo.
I highly disagree.

He chooses to write in a complicated way. People constantly ask him for clarification because of the way he wrote.

He chooses to continue to write in a complicated way.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I say this as a Doper who doesn't frequent Thread Games...

Quote:
Later he says this, which demonstrates he can communicate clearly if he tries to (or maybe if he doesn't try to be deliberately complicated):
Quote:
We talk often here about the way people interact on the board. I'm wondering if any of the old timers here have seen a change within Thread Games in particular.
When I read this part of Colibri's post, my internal reaction was Did anybody suggest to Leo that this would have been a good way to present his OP? Because it seems like that would have been an on-point remark.

And in fact, that re-write is pretty much the vibe that I got from Leo's OP. But because I don't follow Thread Games, I didn't feel like the thread would be terribly edifying wrt Mr. Shine's OP. So I never drilled down deep enough to learn whether my impression was itself, on point.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:27 PM

I'm just glad someone else is being called out for being incomprehensible. After all, I've made an effort to sometimes make sense.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:00 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
When I read this part of Colibri's post, my internal reaction was Did anybody suggest to Leo that this would have been a good way to present his OP? Because it seems like that would have been an on-point remark.

And in fact, that re-write is pretty much the vibe that I got from Leo's OP. But because I don't follow Thread Games, I didn't feel like the thread would be terribly edifying wrt Mr. Shine's OP. So I never drilled down deep enough to learn whether my impression was itself, on point.
Leo has had feedback many many times over the years about how to write more clearly. In the thread in question, Riemann gave him an extensive explanation of what was wrong with his OP. Leo mostly put the blame on other people for failing to understand his posts, rather than trying to take any responsibility for trying to communicate better.

Leo is kind of like the person who can't sing who grabs the mike in the karaoke bar, and when people criticize his singing he insists it's their fault for not appreciating music.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steken View Post
Not the first time he's been pitted for this, IIRC.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time around was for a particularly confusing post, even for him, about how elevators work, or something of the sort? Can't find it now, but man it was a real beaut.
It was this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
With my apologies to everyone, I just have to know: what the hell is this?

Parody? Drunken Rambling? Forgot to lock your PC?

Please tell me you don't owe your dog a bath and his favorite treats.
Still no answer. Leo is Leo.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I have never found any of his posts incomprehensible, as far as I can remember. The one linked in the OP seems clear enough to me.
Since you understand it clearly, do you think you could rewrite the first sentence of OP for us in more standard language?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
He not only is snarky, he responds by just referring people back to his OP.
"See query".
Old 06-16-2018, 10:34 PM
Friend of Cecil

Quote:
Here's an example, as I posted in the other thread. Every sentence or fragment below is missing an explicit subject, verb, or both. The longest "sentence" seems to be a winding prepositional phrase without either one. Some of these can be interpolated or guessed at, but it becomes more difficult when a significant fraction (or all!) of the post is like this.

Quote:
Less personal. As to game proposals within OPs, and in entire OPs newly posted, as it seems to me, where the thread has sub-topics only about answering something with a personal response, ordinarily not related to topics where the temperature of the interplay (ie, "fighty" topics). Even though to some people preferring ale over stout, eg, can be as fighty as topics of the 2017 election.

See above and reverse. Also see OP subject header, for starts.

Asked and answered.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Leo has had feedback many many times over the years about how to write more clearly. In the thread in question, Riemann gave him an extensive explanation of what was wrong with his OP. Leo mostly put the blame on other people for failing to understand his posts, rather than trying to take any responsibility for trying to communicate better.

Leo is kind of like the person who can't sing who grabs the mike in the karaoke bar, and when people criticize his singing he insists it's their fault for not appreciating music.
Reading one of Leo's post is like listening to Porky Pig on 12 cups of coffee.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
I highly disagree.

He chooses to write in a complicated way. People constantly ask him for clarification because of the way he wrote.

He chooses to continue to write in a complicated way.
Yes, this is why it's so annoying. If somebody has interesting things to say, I have no problem doing a bit of work to understand them if (say) English is not their first language. In fact, I find it distracting when people correct irrelevant grammatical errors in threads that are not concerned with language or writing style.

But apparently Leo can write quite clearly and coherently. He chooses to do this. I think he feels that he has some talent as a writer, and that this convoluted gibberish has aesthetic merit. Why else choose to do it? Colibri's analogy to the talentless guy at the karaoke bar who keeps grabbing the mike is apt.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-16-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe if you try reading through that thread with NO PRECONCEIVED IDEAS....
I have no idea what you mean by this. Do you mean approach the text without any knowledge of Leo Bloom's posting history? Well, based on the text as written, I would be uncertain whether English was this person's first language; I would guess that they were possibly drunk or on drugs, or had some kind of language processing deficit, perhaps caused by brain damage. Or that they were a postmodern social theorist.

So, sure, I wouldn't give somebody a hard time for these barely-coherent convolutions if it were my first encounter with them. But based on Leo Bloom's posting history we know that he can write clearly and coherently, and that he makes a deliberate choice to produce this annoying gibberish. That puts a different spin on things.

Last edited by Riemann; 06-16-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 PM

I skip his posts.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
It was this one:
Actually no, that's not it!

It's another one. Something about how elevators work. Went something like "so you're there press button up up down down energy not spent?", but much more... Bloomian.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:

This. And if it hasn't been mentioned already, this is not Leo's first pitting. He won top spot in our Most Indecipherable Dopers contest, and got his own thread here when he either went off his medication or took a very powerful hallucinogenic.

I think this analysis -- and Riemann has made a similar one in the spirit of constructive criticism -- is basically right; Leo labors under the delusion that his writing is brilliant when in fact it's just obtuse and bizarre. That said, he's relatively low on the annoyance scale compared to a small number of real assholes that we have trolling this board.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:52 AM

I find him comprehensible at times, but much less so more recently.

I normally wouldn't say I had trouble parsing the post in the OP, but it was indeed harder to read than the OP of this thread. I kinda have to translate it to normal words in my head. It reads to me like he comes up with the simple version, and then intentionally makes it fancier.

Here's basically my mental translation of part of his first post:
It seems to me that the some of the OPs in Thread Games (including one where that it'is the entire point) are expecting true answers to more personal questions than before. Examples include 'Baker's Dozen' and 'Have you ever...' The latter in particular shows what I think is a new style of post in that forum.

FTR, I participate in these threads a lot. I actually enjoy that it helps me get to know more about the people here. It's nice that we're not always fighting.
I do agree that many of this other posts are nearly indecipherable, where, even if I take the time to figure it out, I still only get the gist. I've always suspected he was on something when he wrote those.

It sure seems that, when he writes more quickly, he does a much better job of being clear. I picture him with a thesaurus as he posts, a living embodiment of the Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness trope.

Last edited by BigT; 06-17-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

OK then, apparently I am outnumbered, and his posts are incomprehensible to the vast majority of people. Maybe there's the same thing wrong in my head as in Leo's. I hope people will let me know if I become incomprehensible, (and be a bit more gentle with me than they are with him).