Old 09-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Would ex-President Trump run in 2024?

If so could he win the nomination? Even if he's decisively defeated in 2020 no other Republican is going to have his level of support and his true believers will never desert him.

This presumes, of course, that he's not in prison.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 AM

He didn't want the job in 2016, he just ran as a publicity stunt that went horribly wrong. He hates the job and is dreadful at it. If he gets drubbed in 2020, he is not going to say "thank you, sir, may I have another?" Let's not forget, he's senile now and would be 5 years older in 2024.

But if he lost the last two remaining functioning brain cells that he has and ran in 2024, he would win the nomination easily. It would be the same formula as in 2016- he wins all the batshit votes while his opponents split the rational votes.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM

I dunno, he'd be pretty old.

And there are plenty NeverTrumpers lying low. If he loses 2020, he's not coming back.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Modern day electoral politics doesn’t really have this feature. Carter wasn’t even mentioned in 1984 and George H. W. Bush was never mentioned in 1996. This isn’t 100 years ago, campaigns require at least 18 months of commitment and there’s lot of other things an ex president could be doing.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 AM

I have a feeling if he is booted in 2020 his son Don Jr will run.

Jr is a moron but one of those overly confident ones.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I have a feeling if he is booted in 2020 his son Don Jr will run.

Jr is a moron but one of those overly confident ones.
The orange doesn't fall far from the tree.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

He'll be in jail.

The prosecutors are going to line up to take whacks at him on a hundred different charges. Surely one of them will stick.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

It's really doubtful. Jimmy Carter and George Bush I were both eligible to run for a second term but neither of them was seen as a viable candidate after losing their re-election attempt.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
He didn't want the job in 2016, he just ran as a publicity stunt that went horribly wrong. He hates the job and is dreadful at it. If he gets drubbed in 2020, he is not going to say "thank you, sir, may I have another?" Let's not forget, he's senile now and would be 5 years older in 2024.

But if he lost the last two remaining functioning brain cells that he has and ran in 2024, he would win the nomination easily. It would be the same formula as in 2016- he wins all the batshit votes while his opponents split the rational votes.
I disagree on almost all counts. I think Trump loves certain aspects of being president and doesn't like others. He loves being head of state and the prestige and attention that comes from the office, and hates being head of government which involves all these people interrupting his golf game demanding he read boring reports.

Even without the presidency Trump would still need to be in the lime light. Just because he lost doesn't mean that he wouldn't keep tweeting, Demagoguing, claiming that he was the best president ever and that the people really want him to return. If he hasn't been incarcerated or brought down by death or dementia there is no way that he would pass up a chance to get people talking about him again.

As for his chances, Trumps entire appeal is based on the idea that he always wins. A big loss in 2020 is not going to inspire confidence for a rematch with the same opponent 4 years later. Given the GOP's current trends I'm sure that they could will probably nominate someone even worse. I'm thinking a full on unapologetic Christian Nationalist.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I disagree on almost all counts. I think Trump loves certain aspects of being president and doesn't like others. He loves being head of state and the prestige and attention that comes from the office, and hates being head of government which involves all these people interrupting his golf game demanding he read boring reports.

Even without the presidency Trump would still need to be in the lime light. Just because he lost doesn't mean that he wouldn't keep tweeting, Demagoguing, claiming that he was the best president ever and that the people really want him to return. If he hasn't been incarcerated or brought down by death or dementia there is no way that he would pass up a chance to get people talking about him again.

As for his chances, Trumps entire appeal is based on the idea that he always wins. A big loss in 2020 is not going to inspire confidence for a rematch with the same opponent 4 years later. Given the GOP's current trends I'm sure that they could will probably nominate someone even worse. I'm thinking a full on unapologetic Christian Nationalist.
Former Vice President Mike Pence