Old 09-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
In case my position wasn't clear, I think there have already been several investigations of Kavanaugh's background. He might well be the most thoroughly-investigated SCOTUS justice we've ever had.
Does "most thoroughly-investigated" equate to full thoroughness? If so, we disagree. If not, how about one that is thorough this time and has no arbitrary time frame.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 09-18-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Economist View Post
Let’s make a bet. I bet that I can link to an existing thread where I have provided an answer to this question for you. You, based on your claim that this is an evasion, will presumably bet that I cannot. Now let’s decide what humiliating thing you have to do if I win the bet.
I bet you can link to a thread or two where you think you answered the question, and wherein your "answers" fell flat on their faces with a cursory bit of examination. Were those the threads you had in mind?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I think there have already been several investigations of Kavanaugh's background. He might well be the most thoroughly-investigated SCOTUS justice we've ever had.
Actually, of the SCOTUS justices who have attempted to rape someone, he is the least investigated.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I bet you can link to a thread or two where you think you answered the question
You seem to be backpedaling pretty quickly from your “evasion” claim. Since you have the same amount of data available to you now as you had at the time you made the claim, that means you knew it was false when you made it......
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 09-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You seem to be backpedaling pretty quickly from your “evasion” claim. Since you have the same amount of data available to you now as you had at the time you made the claim, that means you knew it was false when you made it......
Not at all. I think "evasion" is precisely the correct word to use to describe your post #244. I asked you a simple and direct question:

"What, in your mind, is the "strong evidence" that Justice Kavanaugh lied to Congress?"

You did not answer it. I suspect you're afraid you'll get embarrassed again if you try, and I don't blame you. You're probably correct to hold that fear.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 09-18-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I think "evasion" is precisely the correct word to use to describe your post #244. I asked you a simple and direct question:

"What, in your mind, is the "strong evidence" that Justice Kavanaugh lied to Congress?"

You did not answer it.
You and I both know that “I’ve already told you that, repeatedly” is in fact an answer. And, based on your backpedaling, you also know it’s an accurate answer. And, in fact, your backpedaling proves that you know I can prove the “already," "told you," and "repeatedly” claims.

All that’s left for you now is to apologize....
Old 09-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
... All that’s left for you now is to apologize....
You're going to be waiting a long time then, because that's not even remotely close to my understanding. You have never provided anything even remotely resembling "strong evidence" that Justice Kavanaugh lied to Congress. IIRC you tried a couple of times, and both attempts were embarrassing failures. Linking to them now would probably provide me many hearty laughs, so why don't you go ahead and do that.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 09-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
You have never provided anything even remotely resembling "strong evidence" that Justice Kavanaugh lied to Congress.
In fairness to me, though, you once managed to read an entire report on evidence of racial bias in policing in Ferguson without finding any evidence of racial bias of policing in Ferguson, so the bar for providing you evidence of things that conflict with your worldview is pretty high.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And I can guess why you and your colleagues do. Is that the game we're going to play now: Guessing at each other's motives?
Sure! Guess at mine. Go first, have a blast.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
The way "we just ask them" is to have our congressional representatives do so, no? I suppose I could call them up and ask for answers, but I doubt they'll put through my call.

That kind of inquiry by an appropriate committee certainly seems like a good place to start to me. Obviously, whether more would be needed on that front depends on their answers and how forthcoming they are. I rather suspect that they did such a cursory investigation for political reasons so as not to become entangled in a high-profile partisan fight. But I kinda doubt they will say that. So we might need to dig a little.
Can't the chair of an appropriate committee just send off a letter to whomever ran the investigation? But really, none of this changes the fact that officially starting some investigation still looks like a do over, no matter how good your reason. Frankly, I don't really think your reasons are that good. I really don't care if he fudged on exactly how much he drank or how much of a campus rumor the story was. The minimal investigation that already happened was enough to show he was a drunken lout in early adulthood and his testimony showed that he is currently somewhat of a hotheaded jackass. But he still got confirmed. The game is over.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
All that’s left for you now is to apologize....
Pro Tip: don't hold your breath.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:04 AM

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-y...b0849d47233e56

Reporters: Kavanaugh agreed to an interview as long as the reporters lie and say he declined an interview.

Entirely in keeping with Kavanaugh's dishonest reputation.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-y...b0849d47233e56

Reporters: Kavanaugh agreed to an interview as long as the reporters lie and say he declined an interview.

Entirely in keeping with Kavanaugh's dishonest reputation.
The deceitful reporters claiming this have shown themselves to not be trustworthy.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Isn't that known as, you know, asking not to be on the record?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
he was a drunken lout in early adulthood and his testimony showed that he is currently somewhat of a hotheaded jackass. But he still got confirmed. The game is over.
The game is never over. It includes keeping him aware that he's under scrutiny, for the rulings he makes as well as for his current personal conduct. That scrutiny may provide him some incentive to lean his votes in the victims' direction just to show he isn't that entitled lout anymore.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
The deceitful reporters claiming this have shown themselves to not be trustworthy.
By reporting what actually happened, and declining to lie about what his condition was, that was untrustworthy? They did not lie to him, agree to his conditions and then reveal it. They asked, he said as long as you lie about it, they said no thanks, we'll tell the truth.

That's interesting.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM

I'm not sure that consistent accusations of "FAKE NEWS!!1" contributes much to the fight against ignorance.

Quote:
But he still got confirmed. The game is over.
By old rules? sure. But the old rules are dead, and anyone still playing by them is getting played. I mean, they rammed a drunken, partisan sexual predator through because they could. They stole a seat from Obama. Why in god's name should we pretend that past norms matter? If there's any excuse to impeach the fucker, we should find it.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 AM

You don't have the votes.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

It always starts that way.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You don't have the votes.
We shall overcome.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
We shall overcome.
OK, sure, maybe just don't pin all your hopes on getting enough Republicans (or moderate dems) to join your bullshit partisan "If there's any excuse to impeach the fucker, we should find it" witch hunt.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 09-19-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Nah. I've diversified. Only some of my hopes are pinned to that. Some others lie in the conviction that the fat orange imbecile will self-destruct and take the book-licking republicans down with him. The rest are in an indexed clean energy fund.

P.S. That's not the first time you linked to that gif of J.L. I think maybe you have a crush. That's adorbs.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 09-19-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
... P.S. That's not the first time you linked to that gif of J.L. ...
It's not the first time it's been appropriate.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Isn't that known as, you know, asking not to be on the record?
No, it is not.

Since the link is paywalled, here are a couple of excerpts:

Quote:
"[H]e wanted us to say we hadn’t spoken to him, and we even went to negotiate the phrasing of that, where we even were willing to say nothing, not to talk about who we spoke to, not to talk about our sources. But he wanted a line in there saying we did not, and we felt that to mislead our readers in a book about, that very much deals with issues of truth, would probably not be a good foot forward."
Over time, news organizations have dealt with the situation by writing something like, “So-and-so declined to speak for the record," or they might just leave out an attribution note, as Pogrebin and Kelly were prepared to do in this instance.
Famous investigative journalist Bob Woodward tells the Erik Wemple Blog that he doesn’t remember any such request from one of his sources. “I don’t recall it happening, but it’s been 48 years of reporting,” says Woodward, whose books rely extensively on background and off-the-record conversations to nail down specific events, negotiations and disputes. The idea of speaking on any basis whatsoever with a source, only to turn around and write that the source declined to comment, is a no-no in the Woodward book.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
... we felt that to mislead our readers in a book about, that very much deals with issues of truth, would probably not be a good foot forward.
They apparently had no such compunction about misleading their readers in their NYT article.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Goodness, this thread is one complete shitshow, isn’t it? Keep it up, HurricaneDitka.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Goodness, this thread is one complete shitshow, isn’t it? Keep it up, HurricaneDitka.
Unfortunately, many Americans (and a few Dopers) have absolutely no interest in investigating possible sexual assault and rape if it might harm their political allies. Not surprising, but still a shame.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-19-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:03 PM

They've already been investigated. I have no interest in endless investigations to accommodate a bullshit partisan "If there's any excuse to impeach the fucker, we should find it" witch hunt.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 PM

[cough]Benghazi[/cough]

CMC fnord!
Old 09-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The idea of speaking on any basis whatsoever with a source, only to turn around and write that the source declined to comment, is a no-no in the Woodward book.
Apparently it is in Woodward's book to make other things up, though. Cite.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-20-2019, 10:10 AM

QuickSilver:

Quote:
P.S. That's not the first time you linked to that gif of J.L.
Isn't that T.S.?
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
...Isn't that T.S.?
J.L. = Jennifer Lawrence

T.S. = ?...
Old 09-20-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
J.L. = Jennifer Lawrence

T.S. = ?...
Taylor Swift, I'm guessing, but I think it is Jennifer Lawrence in the .gif
Old 09-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Fighting investigations into sexual assault and rape is basically a GOP plank at this point. I'm no longer surprised. Hopefully such folks lose in elections. And hopefully kids growing up these days see this stuff as wrong.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Yes, I meant Taylor Swift. The funny thing is, I never even thought of Jennifer Lawrence, I thought QuickSilver was mixing up his pop stars and referring to Jennifer Lopez.

I always thought it was a Taylor Swift gif. But in my defense, the only movies I've seen of Jennifer Lawrence, she was not a blonde.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective
Old 09-20-2019, 01:37 PM

It's definitely Jennifer Lawrence but I bet Taylor Swift is more likely to say "adorbs".
Old 09-20-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
It's definitely Jennifer Lawrence but I bet Taylor Swift is more likely to say "adorbs".
Sure. But not ironically.