Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 PM
SDSAB

Memorable moments of the Obama Presidency

A nice short video from Mashable, including faces both familiar and not-so-much:http://mashable.com/2017/01/07/obama...k#XSFDHbD2Osqp
Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM

I watched him this morning with Stephanopoulos, and last night on CSPAN saying goodbye to the troops.

I'm going to miss that guy (and Michelle).
Old 01-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I think my two favourites are:

When he was getting seriously grinded on about healthcare reform, the Right dubbed it 'Obamacare', like it was a swear word! And when asked, he basically said, "Hey, I don't mind. I'm Obama, and I DO care! "

Also when he was starting his run for his second term and stepped to the podium and sang, "..let's stay together...." He sang it beautifully and it was so perfect!

Class act. The whole family.
(Oh, and the contrast is gonna be glaring and painful, I fear!)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM

All 57 states will miss this President.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws
Old 01-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Can you imagine such a video following the Trump presidency? Can you imagine little kids - or anyone else - making that kind of connection with him? Or Trump singing Amazing Grace?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

One of my favorite moments was the judge ordering Obama's Justice Department to write a three page paper to show that they did, actually, understand the concept of judicial review. Sort of the political equivalent of making him stay after class and write "I will not be a dumbass" a hundred times.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
One of my favorite moments was the judge ordering Obama's Justice Department to write a three page paper to show that they did, actually, understand the concept of judicial review. Sort of the political equivalent of making him stay after class and write "I will not be a dumbass" a hundred times.

Regards,
Shodan
The good news is that Obama correctly predicted what the Supreme Court would do:

Quote:
"The point I was making is that the Supreme Court is the final say on our Constitution and our laws, and all of us have to respect it, but it's precisely because of that extraordinary power that the Court has traditionally exercised significant restraint and deference to our duly elected legislature, our Congress. And so the burden is on those who would overturn a law like this," Mr. Obama said.

"Now, as I said, I expect the Supreme Court actually to recognize that and to abide by well-established precedence out there. I have enormous confidence that in looking at this law, not only is it constitutional, but that the Court is going to exercise its jurisprudence carefully because of the profound power that our Supreme Court has," he said.
I wish they would have showed the same restraint when considering the Voting Rights Act.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post

When he was getting seriously grinded on about healthcare reform, the Right dubbed it 'Obamacare', like it was a swear word! And when asked, he basically said, "Hey, I don't mind. I'm Obama, and I DO care! "
As I recall, it was the left who whined about it as if it were a swear word for a significant length of time. I don't recall exactly when it became acceptable and when/if Obama signaled it to his people.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:34 AM
SDSAB

Bumped.

A nice collection of behind-the-scenes Obama pics, some never published before: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...tos/index.html
Old 09-23-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Two and a half years later, what do you think Trump should be writing on a chalkboard a hundred times?
Old 09-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

My favorite moment is, and always will be, the moment just before the ACA signing ceremony when he and Biden are walking in, and Biden says, sotto voce, that this is a "big fucking deal," which of course the mics picked up on live TV.

Whatever my thoughts are about Biden as a 2020 candidate, I'll always have a soft spot for him in my heart on account of that moment.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:45 AM

Right up there with getting Bin Laden I'll always fondly remember President Obama tearing Trump a new a-hole at the correspondent's dinner. A President with a biting sense of humor who had beer homebrewed at the White House- class act.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Also the Beer Summit. This American Life’s latest broadcast/podcast starts with a segment on this, and I was surprised to hear that some didn’t think it was a success. These were soon-to-be-Trumpists, incensed that there could be some appearance of equivalency between a cop just doing his job and a dark-skinned person daring to enter his own home.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Two and a half years later, what do you think Trump should be writing on a chalkboard a hundred times?
Reeding is fundametal.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Bumped.

A nice collection of behind-the-scenes Obama pics, some never published before: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...tos/index.html
Thank you for sharing that. I emailed the link to my gf and then she shared it with her coworkers. Tears were shed.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Not so much a single moment as the gracious, classy, and professional way he carried himself. To have a real estate swindler and con artist continually question his citizenship despite it being proven beyond all doubt, to be persecuted for (gasp) trying to get more Americans uninsured must have been very difficult. Yet he continued to suffer these unwarranted attacks with dignity. His showing up of Donald at the Correspondents' Dinner was so much less savage than what Don The Con deserved.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:45 AM

The way he would talk about LBTQ people as deserving justice, but in a self-evident way. At his speech on election night: "Democrat or Republican, black or white or brown, rich or poor, gay or straight...."

Another speech about the long struggle for equal rights: "From Seneca Falls to Selma to Stonewall...." Extra points for alliteration.

The first speech he gave after the SCOTUS decision on marriage equality, he specifically mentioned transgender citizens. It was the perfect West Wing "what's next?" moment.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:11 AM

I was really struck by the differences between Trump and Obama this morning. Obama would've never posted a passive-aggressive mocking tweet at a sixteen-year-old who is simply concerned about the future of the planet, like Trump did today.