Old 08-28-2019, 06:15 PM

Another thing to think about, it seems in most of this thread, everyone assumes that Ginsburg will stay in office right up until the moment she dies. Now granted, she does strike me as a workhorse that is dedicated to her job, but I was surprised to learn that Scalia was only the third Supreme Court Justice to ever die in office.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:24 PM

If she resigns while President Trump is still in office, I doubt the left will ever forgive her.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
If she resigns while President Trump is still in office, I doubt the left will ever forgive her.
As a loyal member of "the left," I hope she stays as long as she can. If she feels she has to resign for health or other personal reasons, I would certainly not think I had to "forgive her."
Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 PM

I've already not forgiven her for refusing to retire back when Obama held the White House & Democrats held the Senate.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:41 AM

I agree with pjacks. So at this point she better have the opposite of a DNR order, and every legal avenue should be taken, while she is hooked up to the machines and Trump is still in office, to insist that she “might get better” so we have to wait.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Another thing to think about, it seems in most of this thread, everyone assumes that Ginsburg will stay in office right up until the moment she dies. Now granted, she does strike me as a workhorse that is dedicated to her job, but I was surprised to learn that Scalia was only the third Supreme Court Justice to ever die in office.
I am pretty sure that even if she dies in office, her aides will still wheel her in and wiggle her arm and head every once in a while to confirm that she is alive.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I am pretty sure that even if she dies in office, her aides will still wheel her in and wiggle her arm and head every once in a while to confirm that she is alive.
"Weekend at Ruthie's" I guess
Old 08-31-2019, 04:59 PM

Today RBG filmed an interview in connection with the National Book Festival. I watched some of it; she's clearly in great mental shape and I don't see much difference in her physical demeanor, either.

Quote:
When asked how she was feeling, Ginsburg quipped, "Well first, this audience can see that I am alive!"

The festival crowd cheered.
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/75629...-s-october-ter
Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Today RBG filmed an interview in connection with the National Book Festival. I watched some of it; she's clearly in great mental shape and I don't see much difference in her physical demeanor, either.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/31/75629...-s-october-ter
Yes, but...

She's 85.

Admittedly my views on this are colored by the fact that I've become my 85-year-old father's caretaker.

And here's the thing. He too is a federal judge (district court), on inactive status. He is in no way competent to be a judge anymore.

He's exactly the same age as Justice Ginsberg (and, in fact, was in her class at Columbia Law, and knows her slightly). And I know there's no way he should be on the bench.

I really, really worry about the competence of anyone at that age. I worry about Bernie Sanders getting elected.

I know, there are exceptions, and RBG is probably one of them. But still...
Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 PM

Trial Court is significantly more difficult that Supreme Court for a judge.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Yes, but...

She's 85.

Admittedly my views on this are colored by the fact that I've become my 85-year-old father's caretaker.

And here's the thing. He too is a federal judge (district court), on inactive status. He is in no way competent to be a judge anymore.

He's exactly the same age as Justice Ginsberg (and, in fact, was in her class at Columbia Law, and knows her slightly). And I know there's no way he should be on the bench.

I really, really worry about the competence of anyone at that age. I worry about Bernie Sanders getting elected.

I know, there are exceptions, and RBG is probably one of them. But still...

I agree with you about both cases but the weird politics of the SCOTUS require that we try to hang on. I really like the proposal to make terms 18 years long and have one be up every two years. This would also stop making presidents feel like they need to put really young people on the Court when someone more seasoned would be better.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
...I really like the proposal to make terms 18 years long and have one be up every two years. This would also stop making presidents feel like they need to put really young people on the Court when someone more seasoned would be better.
Boy, that really does sound like a good idea to me.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Let's not pretend that there was an actual rule here.
So he wouldn't be breaking a rule then Nice
Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Trial Court is significantly more difficult that Supreme Court for a judge.
Lawyers and judges have told me that. It seems believable. District courts run all year - there's no term, like the Supreme Court. There's a lot more nuts and bolts and little stuff. Motions, conferences, telephone calls, etc, not to mention ongoing trials.

Nonetheless, I have concerns about 85-year-olds in incredibly important positions.