Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Wait, networking with highly-placed members of his own party is supposed to somehow be a sign of evil now?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Liam View Post
He has also been in a number of undisclosed dinners with Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer and Terry McAuliffe organised by long term donor Bernard Schwartz which leads me to believe that the mainstream Democratic leadership is more concerned about a potential leaders pliability and ability to be controlled. Not so easy with Bernie Sanders.
More likely, they are sussing out what other jobs he might be happy with. Not to bribe him out of the race, they all know he's not winning, but he seems like a real asset.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
It hasn't completely soured me, but I'm very very unimpressed by this turd of a "national service" idea. He danced around whether it would be mandatory or enforced merely through economic discrimination against the losers who choose not to dig and refill potholes for Uncle Sam, but either idea sounds pretty terrible, both for the unwilling national servants and the people who would do those jobs for market wages and benefits but now have to compete with a bunch of temps.
In the article, he says that it's a really popular idea. I was surprised, so I did a quick search for polling on this. The only poll I found was one where the idea was popular if student debt was forgiven in exchange. But mandatory national service only had a 7 percent approval.

Quote:
A majority of young people of all political persuasions support the creation of some sort of national service program for those 25 and under linked to student loan forgiveness or a similar incentive, according to a new poll.
. . . . .
The survey of 18- to 29-year-olds found that 7 percent even support a mandatory national service, while only 10 percent of respondents said they would not support national service at all; 33 percent were either unsure or did not answer, according to pollsters.
bold added

Several Presidential candidates have policies with student loan forgiveness without the national service. Since the approvals were only in the 60% range, the approval for national service might not be as high if the student loan forgiveness was taken away.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:16 PM

Denizens of the Dope,

Re; Mayor Pete

I live 10-15 miles from South Bend and went to that old leaky Studebaker factory on Sunday, 14-Apr-19. It wasnít raining quite as hard inside as it was outside, even if it sometimes it seemed like it.

What a hyped-up crowd, my local paper quoted the South Bend Fire Marshal as saying there were more than 4000 inside and another 1500+ outside. It felt quite cramped, I did use some of my time thinking of just how inadequate the exiting was.

I got to the temporary entrance gate at about 09:00 EDST. I waited two and a half hours before people were allowed to go in. Once inside, I waited about the same amount of time before Mr. Buttigieg spoke.

Very unusual experience for me, I found that trying to keep something of a dispassionate point of view to be quite difficult.

Respectfully yours Zuer-coli
Old 04-18-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
CarnalK
More likely, they are sussing out what other jobs he might be happy with. Not to bribe him out of the race, they all know he's not winning, but he seems like a real asset.
Yeah, a real asset for not changing much of the status quo.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuer-coli View Post
I got to the temporary entrance gate at about 09:00 EDST. I waited two and a half hours before people were allowed to go in. Once inside, I waited about the same amount of time before Mr. Buttigieg spoke.
Wow. That's poor organisation. If he can't organise a rally, how can he organise a country? May's shit-show at Crathes proved to be prophetic.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:24 AM

Because we have laws in our country of how many occupants may be in a building like that at any one time. You're questioning pushing and shoving by guests who want to be inside. The problem is out of his hands and in the hands of the fire marshal.

As for his chances, it's really Biden, Bernie and him. When the "Bernie Bros" are slandering him at any chance, there's a reason to it. It's still too early to tell, but individuals like Harris, Warren, Booker, et al. aren't even being mentioned anymore. O'Rouke may have his thunder stolen.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
You're questioning pushing and shoving by guests who want to be inside.
No, I'm questioning waiting 5 hours to hear him speak.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
No, I'm questioning waiting 5 hours to hear him speak.
Thatís not uncommon, I can remember waiting that long to hear John Kerry and I had a special pass to guarantee admittance since I was a campaign volunteer. It takes forever to get into the venue, then there are numerous warm up speakers. Itís kind of like going to a rock concert.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
...Very unusual experience for me, I found that trying to keep something of a dispassionate point of view to be quite difficult.

And now, after hearing him speak in person, what did you think? Are you more or less likely to support him, or unchanged, and why?
Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Orange Junior tried to own Pete and got owned.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b098b9a2dc20d2
Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 PM

As an unexpected bonus, Mayor Pete is also fluent in binary:
https://politics.theonion.com/pete-b...anu-1834117054
"Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg stunned a campaign crowd Wednesday by speaking to manufacturing robots in fluent binary."
Old 04-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Thatís not uncommon,
Ruth Davidson warmed up for Theresa May and spoke for all of 5 minutes. I suppose it reflects upon the respective lengths of campaigns: you take 2 years; we take 4-6 weeks.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJA View Post
Because we have laws in our country of how many occupants may be in a building like that at any one time. You're questioning pushing and shoving by guests who want to be inside. The problem is out of his hands and in the hands of the fire marshal.

As for his chances, it's really Biden, Bernie and him. When the "Bernie Bros" are slandering him at any chance, there's a reason to it. It's still too early to tell, but individuals like Harris, Warren, Booker, et al. aren't even being mentioned anymore. O'Rouke may have his thunder stolen.
Never mind policy, what kind of socks do I like? By Pete Buttigieg
Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a real asset for not changing much of the status quo.
Well, that's good. I only want the status quo changed a little bit. What do you want changed that Pete Buttigie won't be on board with?

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-18-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Well, that's good. I only want the status quo changed a little bit.
Good for you, I don't, I want it changed alot.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Good for you, I don't, I want it changed alot.
Like what? You live in the UK, right? What do you expect from the next American president?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Like what? You live in the UK, right? What do you expect from the next American president?
My moms American, and I have family in the US, it affects me a great deal. I expect the next President to provide free healthcare, and break the stranglehold big business has on the American workers neck.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
My moms American, and I have family in the US, it affects me a great deal. I expect the next President to provide free healthcare, and break the stranglehold big business has on the American workers neck.
The President isn't really in charge of that though. Even though it's nicknamed Obamacare, the ACA is a Congress creation. The President can only advocate or throw monkey wrenches.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
The President isn't really in charge of that though. Even though it's nicknamed Obamacare, the ACA is a Congress creation. The President can only advocate or throw monkey wrenches.
I don't care, the President sets the tone and the direction of the narrative.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 PM

There's no such thing as "free" healthcare, or tuition either.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
There's no such thing as "free" healthcare, or tuition either.
No, but there's free at the point of use, which you'd of known if you'd bothered to research Bernies healthcare proposals. Tuition isn't free, it's an investment as usually students earn alot more and pay alot back in the taxes they pay over the course of their careers.

Last edited by Ryan_Liam; 04-18-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennieB View Post
He will out-Christian the self-righteous hypocrite; out-soldier the bellicose coward; and out-smart the ignorant authoritarian.
*like*

Quote:
Denizens of the Dope,

Re; Mayor Pete

I live 10-15 miles from South Bend and went to that old leaky Studebaker factory on Sunday, 14-Apr-19. It wasnít raining quite as hard inside as it was outside, even if it sometimes it seemed like it.

What a hyped-up crowd, my local paper quoted the South Bend Fire Marshal as saying there were more than 4000 inside and another 1500+ outside. It felt quite cramped, I did use some of my time thinking of just how inadequate the exiting was.

Very unusual experience for me, I found that trying to keep something of a dispassionate point of view to be quite difficult.

...and??
Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 AM

I like him. I do not think he has a chance, but I like him. I like him enough to learn to say his name.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

Wow. His odds of winning the presidency are already only 10/1 at Ladbrokes and 6/1 for the Democrat nomination.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

The more I learn about this guy, the more I like him.

I'm starting to believe this underdog may actually surprise everyone and win.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Along with what Happy Lendervedder said, there are many Asian Christian voters in the US who also lean left on many issues but are quite stalwart when it comes to being pro-traditional marriage.
I know a few. They all voted for Trump and would never vote for a Democrat, gay or straight.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Wow. His odds of winning the presidency are already only 10/1 at Ladbrokes and 6/1 for the Democrat nomination.
I wonder what Trump's odds were at this point in the race?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
I wonder what Trump's odds were at this point in the race?
Not sure, but looking at the HuffPo pollster from 2015-16 the leaders in the polls around now were Rubio, Bush and Walker. Trump was in the bottom 3.

https://elections.huffingtonpost.com...al-gop-primary

Last edited by CarnalK; 04-19-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
As an unexpected bonus, Mayor Pete is also fluent in binary:
https://politics.theonion.com/pete-b...anu-1834117054
"Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg stunned a campaign crowd Wednesday by speaking to manufacturing robots in fluent binary."
LOL. Love it!
Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
*Democratic
Old 04-19-2019, 03:50 PM

Denizens of the Dope, Greetings and Salutations.

I regret, this post will be somewhat lengthy, and beg to doubt that I will have responded satisfactorily to all the folks who had questions about my post.

In regard waiting, I didn’t know if I would be early or not. As a personal reference point; when President Trump had a rally at one of the local School Corporation’s Auditoriums, 8000+ seating capacity, there were folks camped out as close to the entrance as Security would allow on the night before. My recollection is that the place filled up and folks were watching from some sort of big screen display outside.

As it turned out I was plenty early, but it was nice to have gotten to the temporary entrance gate because there was a small marque tent and I mostly stayed out of the rain.

My opinion of Mayor Pete didn’t change much, no solid policy plans, oh plenty of flights of eloquence. On the other hand, I don’t recall much, if anything, of substance out of Candidate Trump either. Certainly it would have been easy to have heard what you wanted to hear.

As for myself, well not to belabor the point, but I’m a strange person, extremely introverted, nearly always I feel that I’m on the outside, not fitting in anywhere with any degree of comfort.
I now understand myself to be somewhere on the spectrum of mental illness, mostly functional but none the less; mentally ill. I also believe I have been somewhere along the spectrum of mental illness since early childhood.

So, what I heard was a message of inclusion, that above all the other attractive aspects of Pete Buttigieg, attracts me the most, clearly it’s a primary emotional response versus a rational one.

Sometimes, It takes me some time to process things, and most of the time, it’s helpful to read others reactions. For me at least, these serve as something/somewhat of a sanity check, if I profit thereby is another matter entirely.

I should also mention that I was once a Building official, building occupancies and exiting/means of egress have been a big part of my occupational concerns for many years. [In my city a private group was raising founds to renovate a local theater, the group was holding a fund raiser in the partially finished building. The then Mayor was heavily involved, I had the, I don’t know what to call it, to go in and talk to one of the organizers about their lack of a “Certificate of Occupancy”. That person then directed me to speak to the Mayor, who was present. I didn’t end up issuing a “Notice: Do Not Occupy”.] However, I can say with some degree of authority that the space the Buttigieg campaign used had entirely more occupants that day, than the exiting/means of egress was designed to accumadate. That sort of thing is always a matter of concern to a Building Official/ex Building Official even if the buildings is not in nis/xis* jursdiction.

Last, and I do not know this for a fact and cannot provide a source; the intention had been to make the announcement of Mayor Buttigieg’s Presidential candidacy in front of the Saint Joseph Co./South Bend City Building, I also heard, again no real source, that it was quite a scramble to find an alternate venue.

Respectfully yours, Zuer-coli

* neutral personal pronouns.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 AM
SDSAB

Thanks for the followup, z-c!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I expect that there are a very large number of people who are uncomfortable with homosexuality and would really prefer a straight candidate, but for whom it's sufficiently far down on their list of priorities that they'd vote for a gay man anyway.
That may be true. I hope so. I know that many Americans are fine with the idea of a gay POTUS. They donít have anything against homosexuality. But whatís going to happen the first time his husband joins him onstage after a big primary success, and they exchange a long kiss onstage? Like straight pols do with their wives. Itís sad, but I think it might go to show that a lot of mainstream Dems arenít as cool with it as they think they are. Iím imagining a lot of ď Iím OK with gay people but I donít want to see thatĒ attitude. It could be a Howard Dean moment. Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
The reincarnation of Mr. Rudd Duda.

Oh, I laughed and laughed. Truly an old school moment, thanks for the memories. It was Ruda Duda though, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
I'm not sure US politics are mature enough to have a candidate whose name includes the word "butt", especially one who is homosexual. I'm not making a joke. A debate between Pete and Trump would be embarrassing for humanity.

As Chronos says, he's probably angling for a cabinet/governor/senator route to what will hopefully lead to his presidency.
I fully expect Trump to fake a stumble and call him something that sounds like Pete Buttfucker. On purpose. And his base will totally eat it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Orange Junior tried to own Pete and got owned.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b098b9a2dc20d2
Iím sorry, Iím tired of this. No, he didnít get ďownedĒ and Iím tired of my fellow libs portraying every semi-successful Twitter comeback as some sort of victory. I mean itís fun to vent, but itís not like the Traitor Tot is going to respond by changing teams or anything,

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 04-20-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Afraid my mild interest in this character took a hit when I learned that he named Ulysses as his favorite book.

Either he actually likes the book - which makes him a seriously goofy fuck, or he misguidedly thinks that thinks it a useful strategy to present himself as the type of egghead that could possibly enjoy that tome!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Afraid my mild interest in this character took a hit when I learned that he named Ulysses as his favorite book.

Either he actually likes the book - which makes him a seriously goofy fuck, or he misguidedly thinks that thinks it a useful strategy to present himself as the type of egghead that could possibly enjoy that tome!
I like Ulysses.

Also, his father taught the book, so I'm sure he got a lot of exposure to it, and could follow the story despite the stream of consciousness and language games.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

The kind of people who would be turned off by him liking Joyce are largely the same folks who would think he was talking about Homer's work. Or who would ignore the "what's your favorite book?" question entirely.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:46 AM

I thought he was talking about the Cream song.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:50 AM

Seriously, though, he's, like, serious. I think 6:1 is a bit generous, but his polling and fundraising numbers clearly show that he's a stronger candidate than several Senators and Governors. He could be in this for the long haul.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:02 AM

You seem to be implying that Pete deliberately avoided discussing his policies in an article whose purpose was entirely "A List of Things I Like". People seem to like those articles. No one is suggesting they are anything other than fluff pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
That may be true. I hope so. I know that many Americans are fine with the idea of a gay POTUS. They donít have anything against homosexuality. But whatís going to happen the first time his husband joins him onstage after a big primary success, and they exchange a long kiss onstage? Like straight pols do with their wives. Itís sad, but I think it might go to show that a lot of mainstream Dems arenít as cool with it as they think they are. Iím imagining a lot of ď Iím OK with gay people but I donít want to see thatĒ attitude. It could be a Howard Dean moment. Too bad.
Ireland seem to be managing just fine with an openly gay Taoiseach with a partner and has not descended into either rioting or widespread carnal degeneracy (or at least no more than before). Varadkar seems to be reasonably popular still.

I will admit to some irritation at some of my Democratic friends who are convinced that the Dems must put forward a white male candidate (usually Bernie or Beto) and that nominating Pete or one of the female or other minority candidates would only be for the purpose of "making a statement". The possibility that Pete or one of those other candidates might actually be the best candidate on their own merits never seems to occur to some of these people, who really ought to know better.

Quote:
Iím sorry, Iím tired of this. No, he didnít get ďownedĒ and Iím tired of my fellow libs portraying every semi-successful Twitter comeback as some sort of victory. I mean itís fun to vent, but itís not like the Traitor Tot is going to respond by changing teams or anything,
I agree with this - the "Person X destroyed Person Y" thing is annoying. No one is "destroyed" by someone disagreeing with them or mocking them on the internet. At best, an argument is thoroughly rebutted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Seriously, though, he's, like, serious. I think 6:1 is a bit generous, but his polling and fundraising numbers clearly show that he's a stronger candidate than several Senators and Governors. He could be in this for the long haul.
If he does well in the debates I think he's going to be a contender. Even if he doesn't end up a frontrunner - and I'm not ruling out the possibility that he could - he could be a possible VP choice.

Still, early days.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
If he does well in the debates I think he's going to be a contender. Even if he doesn't end up a frontrunner - and I'm not ruling out the possibility that he could - he could be a possible VP choice.
Picture him standing next to Bernie Sanders.

Okay, now picture a DeLorean.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I will admit to some irritation at some of my Democratic friends who are convinced that the Dems must put forward a white male candidate (usually Bernie or Beto) and that nominating Pete or one of the female or other minority candidates would only be for the purpose of "making a statement". ....
I am always amused at the notion that nominating a woman, a person of color, or a gay man is somehow playing "identity politics," but nominating a straight white man somehow...isn't. I don't know enough about the O'Rourke campaign to know whether that's a theme in it, but it certainly is a theme in Sanders's campaign. I guess "straight white man" is not an "identity," but the default. Even after all this time..."It's taking longer than we thought"
Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You seem to be implying that Pete deliberately avoided discussing his policies in an article whose purpose was entirely "A List of Things I Like". People seem to like those articles. No one is suggesting they are anything other than fluff pieces.
Not sure who is getting whooshed (maybe it's me), but it's worth noting the publication date of the article.

Last edited by scr4; 04-23-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Whoa. Nate Silver says today that he currently sees Buttigieg as one of the top four contenders, tied with Bernie on a rung just below Biden and Harris.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
Whoa. Nate Silver says today that he currently sees Buttigieg as one of the top four contenders, tied with Bernie on a rung just below Biden and Harris.
Is it based on anything other than he's currently polling top 4?
Old 04-23-2019, 01:36 PM

No, I think it's just his subjective assessment of where things stand. It wasn't based on any mathematical model or anything.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:58 PM

Franklin Graham throws a Bible quote at Pete that calls for gays to be killed.
https://politicalwire.com/2019/04/20...uttigieg-post/
Old 04-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Gyrate
I'm not suggesting it, I'm openly saying it. He's a fluff piece kind of politician.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I trust Nate Silver's analysis of data. But I don't trust his gut, any more than I trust my own. Remember, his gut assessment was that Trump's chances were almost nil.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM

Mayor Pete is going to do a town hall apperance on Faux. While it burns me to see anyone legitimize the propaganda channel, perhaps he'll turn a few Faux viewers to the light.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...wn-hall-in-may