Old 07-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Trump tells Congreswomen go back where you came from

Another low. Only 1 of the Freshmen is foreign born and she is a US citizen

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...e-from-1415692
Old 07-14-2019, 10:59 AM

Because he's ignorant, racist, compulsive, and hateful. No surprise here.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM

As I said in another thread, putting undocumented immigrants in camps is just the pilot program.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Does anyone really still think that anything that Trump says will impact his approval ratings or chances for re-election? He has been outrageous on so many occasions that he can now say whatever he wants. It isn't even news anymore. And this comment has a news span of about 8 more hours or until Monday morning.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:29 AM

And the hits just keep on coming.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 AM

Nancy Pelosi on Twitter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Pelosi
When @realDonaldTrump tells four American Congresswomen to go back to their countries, he reaffirms his plan to “Make America Great Again” has always been about making America white again.
Bernie Sanders on Twitter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Sanders
When I call the president a racist, this is what I'm talking about
Justin Amash on Twitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Amash
To tell these American citizens (most of whom were born here) to “go back” to the “crime infested places from which they came” is racist and disgusting.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 AM

Are we sure he wasn't talking about Ted Cruz? Some of the details don't match... "Democrat Congresswomen." But some are right on... "loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run."

Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
Does anyone really still think that anything that Trump says will impact his approval ratings or chances for re-election? He has been outrageous on so many occasions that he can now say whatever he wants. It isn't even news anymore. And this comment has a news span of about 8 more hours or until Monday morning.
No matter what he will get at least 45% of the vote. And probably at least 250 electoral votes. Hopefully the Dems can keep him from getting to 270 in the EC
Old 07-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
No matter what he will get at least 45% of the vote. And probably at least 250 electoral votes. Hopefully the Dems can keep him from getting to 270 in the EC
Actually, I can think of several scenarios where Trump does not get even close to 45% of the vote; we'll just have to wait and see if they play out.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-14-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:40 PM

When he asks Mark Meadows or Dan Crenshaw to go back where they came from I'll believe this isn't racist.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
When he asks Mark Meadows or Dan Crenshaw to go back where they came from I'll believe this isn't racist.
Please don't make Mark Meadows come back here.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
And the hits just keep on coming.
Mueller got a one week extension. The orange ass-clown should pace himself in case he runs out of material.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Now we sit back and see who has the courage to call this what it is, and who doesn’t.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
Now we sit back and see who has the courage to call this what it is, and who doesn’t.
Sounds like Nancy Pelosi did.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
When they are critics of Trump, I’ll believe this a valid comparison.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Do you support the president of the United States telling his critics who were born in the United States to "go back to where they came from"?

Yes or no.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

I heard he's now telling Melania (and family) to go back where she came from.

ETA: As had been said elsewhere, Trump was right about one thing: AOC et al do come from a crime-ridden and corrupt country.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 07-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:47 PM

If the republicans in Washington had any class or patriotism they would call on this "president" to resign.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Do you support the president of the United States telling his critics who were born in the United States to "go back to where they came from"?

Yes or no.
Do I support? No. I’d have to care about what Trump says to support.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Insightful article from the Atlantic noting where Trump himself came from - a unipolar world where there was corruption and there was corruption.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Actually, I can think of several scenarios where Trump does not get even close to 45% of the vote; we'll just have to wait and see if they play out.
Which scenarios? A very good third party guy might be able to bring Trump below 45%?
Old 07-14-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Which scenarios? A very good third party guy might be able to bring Trump below 45%?
I could see Kasich or someone like him pulling a decent portion of the more moderate republicans, those who do not like trump, but couldn't bring themselves to vote for a democrat.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM

In trumpland if you're black or brown you're still a foreigner even if you were born here.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Do I support? No. I’d have to care about what Trump says to support.
So it's like "Meh, I don't care if the President says racist shit. Whatever"

Does that capture it? I don't want to mischaracterize you.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:27 PM

I'd say the 4 of them are already trying to fix the totally broken and crime infested place they came from. That's what you don't like about them actually, mr. Trump.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I'd say the 4 of them are already trying to fix the totally broken and crime infested place they came from. That's what you don't like about them actually, mr. Trump.
Well, 3 of them are.

The fourth is trying to fix the United States.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
So it's like "Meh, I don't care if the President says racist shit. Whatever"

Does that capture it? I don't want to mischaracterize you.
No, the word “president” should most definitely not be capitalized.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Someone needs to tell the president, again, that Puerto Rico is part of the USA.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No, the word “president” should most definitely not be capitalized.
So you DO care that the president is saying racist shit? And your only quibble is with my punctuation?

Good. I hope to see you unequivocally call out Trump for saying racist shit.

Thank you so much for your clear communication, and good faith discussion.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
So you DO care that the president is saying racist shit? And your only quibble is with my punctuation?

Good. I hope to see you unequivocally call out Trump for saying racist shit.

Thank you so much for your clear communication, and good faith discussion.
No I’m not in the business of “calling out” anyone for anything they say, unless of course it involves promoting the initiation of violence.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 07-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
No I’m not in the business of “calling out” anyone for anything they say, unless of course it involves promoting the initiation of violence.
So... You DO care about the president saying racist shit (but don't like capitalization of "president"), however you don't feel it's your business to call anyone out for saying racist shit.

That got it now? I'm having a bit of difficulty with the tap-dancing.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Another low. Only 1 of the Freshmen is foreign born and she is a US citizen

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...e-from-1415692
Trump is a racist shitbag. It's shameful that I live in a country where this is not widely enough considered a flaw.

Last edited by bobot; 07-14-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Because he's ignorant, racist, compulsive, and hateful. No surprise here.
Trump is obviously an impulsive person, but I suspect it's also somewhat strategic. Trump is going to make a bet that polarization will divide in response to his outrage will divide the Democratic party enough for him to win re-election. It's his only real way forward.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
If the republicans in Washington had any class or patriotism they would call on this "president" to resign.
They never would have voted for him in the first place. It's not like this is the first time he's done this.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Trump is obviously an impulsive person, but I suspect it's also somewhat strategic. Trump is going to make a bet that polarization will divide in response to his outrage will divide the Democratic party enough for him to win re-election. It's his only real way forward.
This does nothing except help unify the Democratic party. A few days ago there was a minor social media tiff between AOC's "squad" and the Congressional leadership. Now EVERYONE in the party is lining up alongside them against Trump's hatefulness.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
This does nothing except help unify the Democratic party.
It might, for a time.

Quote:
A few days ago there was a minor social media tiff between AOC's "squad" and the Congressional leadership. Now EVERYONE in the party is lining up alongside them against Trump's hatefulness.
Yes, right now. On Twitter.

But what happens when the next debate happens and white moderates are told that they're no longer in a position to understand the grievances of people of color?

Don't get me wrong: what Trump said was sick and disgusting, but I also saw a number of Twitter activists attacking Pelosi and suggesting that she was "dog whistling." I mean, FFS, there was nothing at all racist about anything that Pelosi has said at all.

I think Trump's timing isn't coincidental, nor is his attempt to suck up to Pelosi at the expense of the Squad. He's trying to further incite divisions, but those divisions are already there, and I'm sorry, I blame people like Kamala Harris and the Squad for fake claims of racism - not against Republicans but against other white Democrats who are anything but racist.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
When they are critics of Trump, I’ll believe this a valid comparison.
They were both actually born in foreign countries unlike most of the women he is currently targeting.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
How is this going to polarize the Democrats? Are some Democrats going to say "you know, Trump has a point. These bad women SHOULD go back!"
Old 07-14-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
It might, for a time.

Yes, right now. On Twitter.

But what happens when the next debate happens and white moderates are told that they're no longer in a position to understand the grievances of people of color?
Or unabashed ageism is allowed to fly.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
How is this going to polarize the Democrats? Are some Democrats going to say "you know, Trump has a point. These bad women SHOULD go back!"
The way the divisions are usually sown in progressives, get one side to claim that the other side doesn't care, or care enough, and the second side claims that the first side cares too much.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Of course not, but politics is a hell of a lot more complex than that.

There's near unanimity in the Democratic party that Trump is creating a humanitarian crisis and that human rights are being abused, but the specific strategy and tactics in response have already produced one pretty nasty little intra-party fight and it'll probably not be the last time. You had some pragmatic democrats who wanted to get funding through the House before the July 4 holiday recess, knowing that if they didn't, the lack of funding would make already horrendous conditions even worse. On the other hand, there was this belief among the justice democrats that if they held out through the recess and forced the crisis to get even worse, it might - might being the key word here - pressure Mitch McConnell and Trump to capitulate to their long-term demands...after the recess, and probably never. The result was that you had some jilted progressives calling moderates child abusers and insinuating that the House leadership are essentially Nazi collaborators.

See, what Trump's race-baiting does is it becomes so outrageous that it makes moderates and people who seek to build coalitions look weak. When the moderates look weak, the fringe candidates look more appealing and the moderates lose their credibility and power. On the Republican side, that's what happened to people like John Boehner, and toward the end, even people like John McCain and Paul Ryan. That wasn't the result of race-baiting, but party polarization, which is what I'm getting at here. I know where the progressives are going with this: they think they can play this game, too. But they can't. They don't have the numbers. Not unless they join forces with white moderates.

Last edited by asahi; 07-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
Someone needs to tell the president, again, that Puerto Rico is part of the USA.
However AOC is from Queens and was born in the *&%$# Bronx. So she's from the same lousy place as Donald.

The actual Member from Puerto Rico is even a Republican, fer cryin' out loud. The man is just so out of it...
Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Well, can we expect these white moderates to speak out against the flagrant racism that is coming out of the White House?

Or will they shrink away from saying or doing anything that might possibly upset the whites that secretly agree with the President?

This is not a test.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
... And this comment has a news span of about 8 more hours or until Monday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Mueller got a one week extension. The orange ass-clown should pace himself in case he runs out of material.
But the openly-racist tweets ARE working to keep people from talking about Jeffrey Epstein and his ties to Trump.

Trump didn't need a distraction from the horrors at the border--he thinks those are working in his favor. And he didn't need a distraction from Mueller---yet---because the news had broken that July 17 was a no-go before the racist tweets were made.*

But he absolutely positively needed a distraction from the sex-with-minors story. Way too close for comfort---and there are all these new witnesses coming forward. Who knows what might be revealed. Better to get the Twitterverse and the TV and print pundits talking about some new outrage....because that will keep Epstein out of sight and out of mind.

*Trump WILL need a major distraction to keep people from paying attention to Mueller, but he'll spring in on July 23, in all likelihood. Or possibly on the date currently set for Mueller's appearance, July 24.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 07-14-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:52 PM

Sherrerd, as much as I would welcome a breakout moment from Mueller's upcoming testimony, I don't expect shit. And for the sanity of Democrats, I would advise keeping low expectations from any business regarding Mueller. He has been successfully rendered unimportant, I am sad to say.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, can we expect these white moderates to speak out against the flagrant racism that is coming out of the White House?

Or will they shrink away from saying or doing anything that might possibly upset the whites that secretly agree with the President?

This is not a test.
https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/st...08691713265665

Quote:
When @realDonaldTrump tells four American Congresswomen to go back to their countries, he reaffirms his plan to “Make America Great Again” has always been about making America white again.

Our diversity is our strength and our unity is our power.
The last sentence is essentially what she said two days ago - before Trump's latest bout of twitterreah. And yet, it's apparently not good enough for WaPo editor Karen Attiah:

Quote:
Make no mistake: Nancy Pelosi’s dogwhistling snipes at @AOC, Ilhan Omar, @RashidaTlaib and @RepPressley helped pave the way for this vicious, racist attack from the president.
I recognize that Attiah doesn't necessarily speak for 'The Squad', Justice Democrats, or all hard-left progressives, but it's not hard to imagine that many probably perceive Pelosi in the same manner, and for grievances that really don't have merit.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Pelosi isn’t running for prez, so you must’ve been thinking of someone else when you mentioned the next debate.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM

Perhaps Attiah would simply like to be a little more direct, and simply join Trump's campaign team? Because that's basically where she's at right now.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
But the openly-racist tweets ARE working to keep people from talking about Jeffrey Epstein and his ties to Trump.

Trump didn't need a distraction from the horrors at the border--he thinks those are working in his favor. And he didn't need a distraction from Mueller---yet---because the news had broken that July 17 was a no-go before the racist tweets were made.*

But he absolutely positively needed a distraction from the sex-with-minors story. Way too close for comfort---and there are all these new witnesses coming forward. Who knows what might be revealed. Better to get the Twitterverse and the TV and print pundits talking about some new outrage....because that will keep Epstein out of sight and out of mind.

*Trump WILL need a major distraction to keep people from paying attention to Mueller, but he'll spring in on July 23, in all likelihood. Or possibly on the date currently set for Mueller's appearance, July 24.
The tweets aren't a distraction in the "Oh, look over there" sense. They're not a distraction device; they're a division device, and it's important to understand the difference.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Pelosi isn’t running for prez, so you must’ve been thinking of someone else when you mentioned the next debate.
Okay, but what does Biden have to say that he hasn't already said? Does Biden have to light up twitter every time Trump says something racist or misogynistic? Why - to make people feel better?