Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Let's go with "not cheating to win elections" for $400, Alex.
His opponent, Dan Bishop, defended that very same principle, and won.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
His opponent, Dan Bishop, defended that very same principle, and won.
Bishop defended Trump and no more and no less. He was chosen by the same NC GOP that tried to stop the new election and argued vociferously to seat Harris. Bishop to the best of my knowledge hasn't once criticized those choices.

Bishop is a tool. If you're happy with the maniac wielding it, bully for you.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 AM

Bottom line: the GOP managed to hold on to a district with an R+14 partisan advantage by 2 points, avoiding complete embarrassment.

This is slightly less D enthusiasm in that district than was seen in the 2018 midterms but still better than the generic tracker would have predicted.

Its a D loss. And very worrisome for any Republican in a district with less than that 14 point partisan lean. D enthusiasm has not fallen off very much since last year.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

By running as the same party as the guy who was proven to have unambiguously cheated, Bishop was doing the opposite of "defending not cheating".

Accept it, Ditka: Your party is the party of crooks.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 AM

If we're to predict the 2020 results based on this single election, then 2020 will be very, very similar to 2018, which would probably mean a Democratic President and House and a Republican Senate. Of course, it's silly to predict anything based on a single special election.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM

I'll look at the bright side- losing by 2 points in a district engineered to be safely red is a good sign. Donald can whistle by the graveyard all he wants, but the Grim Reaper awaits his candidacy.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
By running as the same party as the guy who was proven to have unambiguously cheated, Bishop was doing the opposite of "defending not cheating".

Accept it, Ditka: Your party is the party of crooks.
Meh, if we're going to start blaming people for the sins of past party members, you guys have a long and storied history of racism to defend. Is that the game you want to play? "so-and-so is bad because someone in their party once did X"?

Given the choice between being the party of crooks and the party of racists, I guess I'll go with: vote for the crook, it's important.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 09-11-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 AM

Like crooks, racists, and credibly accused (and admitted) sexual assaulters? Why not try the Republican party -- they have all three! Hell, they have all three in the White House!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
you guys have a long and storied history of racism to defend
Seriously?

A. 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1968 Southern Strategy.
B. Nobody's "defending" history before that.

Are you really trying to claim that's new to you?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Seriously?

A. 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1968 Southern Strategy.
B. Nobody's "defending" history before that.

Are you really trying to claim that's new to you?
I'm saying that Chronos' "By running as the same party as the guy who ..." formulation is moronic, and especially likely to backfire on the dems, given the racist history of their party.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

They're your demographic now, and have been for half a century. They're your base now, in fact. I think you know that.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Bottom line: the GOP managed to hold on to a district with an R+14 partisan advantage by 2 points, avoiding complete embarrassment.
This. To which I would add "... despite last-minute in-person campaigning from both Pence and Barron-Miller Trump." Which is perhaps far more embarrassing for the top of the nat'l ticket than for the state GOP.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
This. To which I would add "... despite last-minute in-person campaigning from both Pence and Barron-Miller Trump." Which is perhaps far more embarrassing for the top of the nat'l ticket than for the state GOP.
Why is that "embarrassing for the top of the nat'l ticket"? He held a rally to push a candidate over the top in a close election and it worked.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Why is that "embarrassing for the top of the nat'l ticket"? He held a rally to push a candidate over the top in a close election and it worked.
.... because arithmetic. We'll never know how close yesterday's election would have been in some alternate-universe timeline wherein Pence/Trump didn't hold rallies, but the +14 R lean suggests pretty strongly that the answer would be "less close than it was here in this universe."

Or maybe look at it this way: Trump won that district by, what, 12 points three years ago? (I honestly don't recall, but I think that was the case -- if someone with actual data wants to chime in on that, swell.) And this week, the efforts of the top of the national ticket helped their candidate to ... a ~2% win?

Three possibilities come to mind; feel free to believe whichever you please:
  1. Bishop would have lost decisively were it not for the efforts of Trump and Pence.
  2. This was an inherently close race, and the efforts of Trump and Pence had no significant effect.
  3. Bishop would have won by an even larger margin had Trump/Pence stayed away.

Two of those are embarrassing for the top of the ticket. One is embarrassing for Bishop and the state GOP. Hence my "perhaps" in my original post.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I 100% think Hurricane should take this as a victory. With Trump at the helm, success is assured, and he can rest easy. A 2% victory in a district that used to be a 14% or more Republican stronghold, a year before the districts will probably be redrawn so they're not so badly gerrymandered? Both hunky and dory. Sleep well, HD, you've earned it!