Old 03-05-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Vice Presidential [2020] candidates

Let's speculate about who will be the vice presidential candidates picks.

Trump: current Vice President Pence has zero charisma. But he's obsequious and shores up the administration's support among Christian theocrats. The administration cannot afford to lose that support. I don't see him being replaced unless the pandemic response becomes a political liability. The problem for Trump is that if things are bad enough that Pence gets dumped, the election has probably already been lost.

Democrats: I think the best vice presidential candidates are Julián Castro, Kamala Harris, and Stacey Abrams. The ticket will need color and youth. For Bernie, I'd recommend Castro, for Biden I'd say Abrams. But I think any of the pairings work well. I don't think it matters the exact policies of the vice-prez candidate; they'll echo the prez candidate. The important thing is that the vice presidential candidate can pull in votes and not abandon an office that might flip Republican.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:54 PM

It ABSOLUTELY should (and probably MUST) be a woman. There's no excuse that we haven't had a woman VP (or Prez, for that matter). This kind of thing never changes until decisions are made specifically to frickin' change it!
Old 03-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
It ABSOLUTELY should (and probably MUST) be a woman. There's no excuse that we haven't had a woman VP (or Prez, for that matter). This kind of thing never changes until decisions are made specifically to frickin' change it!
Keep in mind that this is the party that let the assault weapons ban expire as it was convinced that it is what cost Gore the 2000 election ("the version I heard was," it is the only plausible explanation they have for Gore losing both his own home state and President Clinton's). I bring that up because I wonder how many party diehards blame Geraldine Ferraro for Mondale losing as badly as he did in 1984.

However, if they really want a woman VP, here's a name nobody seems to have brought up: Dianne Feinstein. The only problem with her is, she's from California, and usually the VP choice is from a state that the party needs help winning. Then again, that would "disqualify" Kamala Harris as well.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Keep in mind that this is the party that let the assault weapons ban expire as it was convinced that it is what cost Gore the 2000 election ("the version I heard was," it is the only plausible explanation they have for Gore losing both his own home state and President Clinton's). I bring that up because I wonder how many party diehards blame Geraldine Ferraro for Mondale losing as badly as he did in 1984.

However, if they really want a woman VP, here's a name nobody seems to have brought up: Dianne Feinstein. The only problem with her is, she's from California, and usually the VP choice is from a state that the party needs help winning. Then again, that would "disqualify" Kamala Harris as well.
The Bernie bros hate Feinstein and she wouldn’t bring much to the ticket.

Ferraro was completely a token and set back women. But, Mondale winning an extra state or two wouldn’t have mattered. Now, if we’d picked Gary Hart....
Old 03-08-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
And she's 86 years old. This is not a typo.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Or we can just try to win the election and pick a woman if she is the running mate to achieve that goal.

Who made the decision to elect a black president in 2008? Didn't we just pick the best candidate?
Old 03-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Or we can just try to win the election and pick a woman if she is the running mate to achieve that goal.
These aren't in conflict. And "just try to win" or "just pick the best candidate" means that 99% of the time it will just happen to be a white man. The only times things like this change is when purposeful and specific decisions are made.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post

Who made the decision to elect a black president in 2008? Didn't we just pick the best candidate?
This is a speculation thread. Who do you think would a good vice presidential running mate for any of the likely candidates?
Old 03-05-2020, 05:29 PM

If the question is who I think will be the VP nominee, here’s my predictions.

Trump will stick with Pence.

Biden will probably pick Klobuchar.

Sanders, assuming he gets to that point or if he pulls a Ted Cruz, will probably go with Gabbard.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
If the question is who I think will be the VP nominee, here’s my predictions.

Trump will stick with Pence.

Biden will probably pick Klobuchar.

Sanders, assuming he gets to that point or if he pulls a Ted Cruz, will probably go with Gabbard.
What does Gabbard offer to the ticket?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:55 PM

For Biden, Warren should be first. Kamala Harris would also be a good one. I think young voters who want more gun control may like Harris in there.

And I have a question. Why wait to announce who your running mate is until after the nomination? Wouldn't picking a good one now bring more voters to a primary? Seems like if Biden or Sanders picked someone like Warren today, wouldn't that help bury the other candidate?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
For Biden, Warren should be first.
Warren is an awful choice for Biden. Two 70+ year old white east coasters is not a balanced ticket.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Yes, I second Julian Castro.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Yes, I second Julian Castro.
The wackadoo who jujitsu'd every Dem candidate save Biden into supporting quite possibly the most politically toxic campaign position - decriminalizing unauthorized immigration - should be nowhere near the VP slot.

The VP should be Yang fwiw.

Last edited by 2ManyTacos; 03-05-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyTacos View Post
The wackadoo who jujitsu'd every Dem candidate save Biden into supporting quite possibly the most politically toxic campaign position - decriminalizing unauthorized immigration - should be nowhere near the VP slot.
NotEnoughTacos?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:29 PM

I think Abrams is best for all three (Sanders, Biden, and Trump.) For Sanders and Biden, she injects youthful vigor and competence into the campaign. For Sanders in particular, she will help with the black voters where he seems to have a complete inability to connect. And he cannot afford to have a Castro on his ticket after his 60 Minutes interview.

Also, I think Abrams would take it. She wants to be president, and VP is still a reasonable, if inconsistent, step to that.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:31 PM

I have thought for a loooong time that Biden would pick Amy Klobuchar to solidify the upper Midwest. Tammy Baldwin, the Senator from Wisconsin, can work as well - though her being openly lesbian probably would be somewhat risky. It would, on some level, be fighting the last election, but I think it would also be a relatively wise move as well.

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 03-05-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have thought for a loooong time that Biden would pick Amy Klobuchar to solidify the upper Midwest. Tammy Baldwin, the Senator from Wisconsin, can work as well - though her being openly lesbian probably would be somewhat risky. It would, on some level, be fighting the last election, but I think it would also be a relatively wise move as well.
What about Tammy Duckworth?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
What about Tammy Duckworth?
I don't know if an Illinois Senator gives the same bump in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania (not to mention Ohio). I also thought that while she is new in the job, Governor Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan is not a bad choice - she won the Governor race by 10 points in late 2018. And she just endorsed Biden.

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 03-05-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:34 PM

Younger female.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 PM

With age being an issue for both men, I think part of the vetting process should be, "Will the voters see XXXXXXX as President when YYYYYY dies."

If I am betting for value, I will put up Gretchen Whitmer.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:12 PM

I think it will be a younger woman for Biden. Harris main downside is she's from CA which is not a problem for Dems. He may want someone from the midwest like Duckworth.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:20 PM

Biden doesn't need anyone to help him win the Midwest, nor does he need another moderate on the ticket. Klobuchar is painfully boring and wouldn't help him win the states he needs. He actually needs to add a little oomph to the ticket, someone that brings energy across the Democratic spectrum and the geographical landscape. He already brings moderate, industrial Midwest, and normalcy to the ticket. He needs to spice it up a little (but not too much).

Abrams or Warren would do that just fine. Maybe Kamala, but I've never been crazy about her.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Whoever's going to be at the top of the ticket at this point, it's going to be someone very old. The VP's primary, and very nearly only, job description is to take over when the President dies or otherwise becomes incapable. So the VP in this case absolutely must be someone young.

I think that saying that "the VP should be a woman" or "the VP should be nonwhite" is just as big a mistake as "the VP should be a man" or "the VP should be white". Take whoever's best, regardless of sex or race. That said, some of the strongest contenders out there are in fact women and/or non-white.

Beyond being young, I think that the candidates' needs are somewhat different. If it's Biden, then he needs someone who's exciting and tenacious. My preference would be Tammy Duckworth, but there are others who could also fill the bill.

On the other hand, Sanders would need someone just the opposite: Someone viewed as traditional (by Democratic standards) and level-headed. I'm not as familiar with many politicians by that description-- Ideas?
Old 03-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Kamala Harris?

Am I the only one that remembers her calling Biden a racist on national television?
Old 03-05-2020, 05:01 PM

Bush went after Reagan pretty hard in 1980 but ended up his running mate.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:15 PM

Sarah Palin has experience as a running mate
Old 03-05-2020, 05:37 PM

I believe that Nikki Haley would be a viable replacement for Pence, and will bring in women voters. Evangelicals are unlikely to turn away from republicans for a party going further left.

For Biden, I would assume he will pick a woman or man of color...or Beto. And if you remember, 2016n Bernie had Tulsi, and she is still around. That will be his pick if he gets the nomination, and if he does not I would be looking for an Independent ticket with big names on it.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:43 PM

Agreed about Nikki Haley for Trump, but that requires him to dump Pence, and that would be admitting to a mistake, so it’s not likely. Then again, if Pence fucks up the corona virus response enough...Trump is nothing if unpredictable.

On the Dem side, I’m going to jump ahead and guess that Biden is the nominee. While I’d love to see him pair with Warren, I agree that two septuagenarians together is not a good idea. But Biden should pick a woman, I’m just not sure who. I think Klobuchar is angling for the role, but I’m not a fan.

Any thoughts on New Mexico Governor Michelle Grisham? She’s Latino, but I don’t know much else about her. (I note that, when googling her name, I saw that Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is “trending”; she might be the way to bet here).

Last edited by Moriarty; 03-05-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:51 PM

First is having a VP who is appropriate for the job - I'd look for early sixties tops, and some significant experience resume of their own, not too far off from the presidential candidate ideologically. That is a must.

Second is helping win.

That could be helping deliver 2 or 3% in the VP's home state if it is a potentially critical in the balance state, or one you want to reach for and at least make them work hard to defend.

That could be by signaling to an important demographic (or intersectionally, demographics), either to increase their turnout (Black, women, Hispanic, the more progressive wing so long as still not too far from Biden ideologically), or conversely to go on offense in a strong demographic for Trump decreasing the margin in that group and maybe decreasing their excitement (rural voters for example).

That could be by their skill as a campaigner in the role, such as being able to be the potent attack dog, leaving the top of the ticket to emphasize the more hope and optimism messaging.

Third is grooming someone to run after, be it in eight or four years.

Not sure Stacy Abrams' stint as minority leader of a state General Assembly and a losing governor's bid is enough to meet item one. But she might help make Georgia competitive and give Doug Jones a chance at keeping the seat.

Both Klobuchar and Baldwin could help with some key states, and not only their own MN and WI respectively. They'd each also help signal the importance of women and rural voters in general. Baldwin is deep in rural expertise and moreover is a progressive who is mainstream enough to be compatible with Biden and signals to those voters that they are important too. Both risk Senate seats though.

Harris bring no state or region with her but intersectionally signals to woman and Black voters, while also being just a bit more progessive than Biden. She also be the best in the attack dog role ... yes she could prosecute the case against Trump well, and would destroy Pence in any debate.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan is good on paper but her response to the state of the union was a failed audition. Horrible.

Castro no.

Corey Booker? Deval Patrick? They'd both be fine. But I don't think they deliver much extra turnout nor are great as VP campaigners.

Warren too old for this cycle, not quite compatible enough, and needed in the Senate.

Another rural Midwestern progressive, Sherrod Brown, also needed in the Senate, but could help put Ohio in play.

And last boring white guy but qualified and helps bring the possibly needed two to three percent to his home state of Colorado - Michael Bennet.

I'd go with Harris as my first choice, Baldwin number two, Stacy Abrams three, and Michael Bennet four.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:15 PM

I am going on record to say that Feinstein will never be the choice. She doesn't add anything, she doesn't help in any swing states and the truth is that she's 86! She would be over 90 at the end of one term.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 PM

I would pay money to see Pete Buttigieg debate Mike Pence.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-05-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Agreed, that would be epic.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
That won't happen if Bernie's the candidate, because those two loathe each other.

HOWEVER

You're right. I'd pay even more money to see the look on Mr. Mother's face as he hands the reins over to Mayor Pete. His expression when he swore in Kirsten Synema was epic; she's openly bisexual and was made up to look like Marilyn Monroe, and wore a minidress and thigh-high boots.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
What does Gabbard offer to the ticket?
At least one-seventh of her home territory, American Samoa! And a hotline to Putin.

Quote:
I sense a Fantasy League matchup in the works. But would either pull an Eastwood and debate an empty chair? Put a skirt on the chair and Pence will cancel.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I assume Pence will have to have his wife accompany him onstage.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see Mike offer to shake his hand only to be kissed on the lips by Pete.

A CNN analyst says it's a certainty that Pence is dumped for Nikki Haley I take a lot of stock in that.
  • It allows Donald to troll the Democratic convention and steal some of the spotlight from Biden
  • Pence adds nothing, Nikki Haley has two X chromosomes and might attract some female voters
  • Donald loves to stick the shiv into people no matter how loyal they have been to him. Loyalty is a one-way street with him

I'm not sold on the "gotta be a woman" notion. Whitmer would be tolerable, Harris would be awesome but I'd much prefer her to be AG with a mission to put the current crime syndicate in the White House behind bars. I'd like Corey Booker or Deval Patrick. Julian Castro would go a long way to getting the Latino vote. One thing I think is given: it will not be a white male.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I'd love to see Mike offer to shake his hand only to be kissed on the lips by Pete.

A CNN analyst says it's a certainty that Pence is dumped for Nikki Haley I take a lot of stock in that.
  • It allows Donald to troll the Democratic convention and steal some of the spotlight from Biden
  • Pence adds nothing, Nikki Haley has two X chromosomes and might attract some female voters
  • Donald loves to stick the shiv into people no matter how loyal they have been to him. Loyalty is a one-way street with him

I'm not sold on the "gotta be a woman" notion. Whitmer would be tolerable, Harris would be awesome but I'd much prefer her to be AG with a mission to put the current crime syndicate in the White House behind bars. I'd like Corey Booker or Deval Patrick. Julian Castro would go a long way to getting the Latino vote. One thing I think is given: it will not be a white male.
Sure, Donald loves to stick the shiv into people. The problem is that Pence would have no reason to not stick back.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
... I'm not sold on the "gotta be a woman" notion. Whitmer would be tolerable, Harris would be awesome but I'd much prefer her to be AG with a mission to put the current crime syndicate in the White House behind bars. I'd like Corey Booker or Deval Patrick. Julian Castro would go a long way to getting the Latino vote. One thing I think is given: it will not be a white male.
Some of the best choices, for being ready to step in, for being positioned to leverage the position to win in 2024 if Biden is one term for age/health, for helping bring some utility, of one sort or the other, to the ticket, happen to be women. No "gotta" but that is where the quality is this cycle.

Harris did not have a winning Democratic campaign strategy for this crowded field season but she is experienced, smart, and capable, and running from VP is a different sort of race for the nom and in the general. She ticks several utility boxes, and Biden seems to like her even after her attempted take down of him. I think it will be her.

I still am rooting for Baldwin though.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I agree that Trump would like to dump Pence. In fact, I think that's why he named Pence to head the coronavirus group -- if Pence (whose track record on such things appears to be poor) actually succeeds, then Trump gets to crow about what a great job the Trump Administration did; if Pence fails, it gives Trump an excuse to dump him.

If you look at the first two reasons above, there's one person whom I think Trump would find ideal -- Ivanka Trump. And since loyalty is indeed so important to him, I think he feels her loyalty is unquestioned.

(Don't tell me that the powers-that-be in the GOP would never allow this. How many times have they not given Trump something he wanted?)
Old 03-06-2020, 03:44 PM

Dumping a vice president is a risky move. It's probably an unnecessary risk from Parscale's perspective.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:34 PM

I don't care who Trump picks. I will say I doubt Haley would accept it if asked. Why should she tarnish any future opportunities she may have?

If Biden, I'm fairly sure it will be Klobuchar. As has already been pointed out, she helps him with the industrial mid-west. She's a decent campaigner, an experienced senator, ticks the 'woman' box and is young enough to provide relief over concerns about Biden's age. During the debates, I noticed there were 2 people who never attacked Biden and in fact gave him an assist or two: Buttegieg and Klobuchar. Biden seems immensely comfortable with both of them, but Klobuchar has actual relationships with members of the Senate. He needs and wants her help in those industrial upper midwest states. Joe has got the south locked up. Who are the coasts going to vote for? Trump?

Biden mentioned Harris early on as a potential running mate, but she rather huffily said she was only interested in the top job. She attacked him during the first debate (that's what sank her, IMO). She later mentioned she'd be open to the VP position after all. But she'd bring little to the ticket. Besides, she's the perfect choice for Attorney General. Biden will put her there, I think, if she wants it. Her senate seat is in safe hands with Gavin Newsom appointing the interim replacement.

If it's Bernie, I can see him offering the VP position to someone equally progressive and a woman if possible. Not Warren. Too old and too independent. No president wants a VP who will outshine him in the job. So... Ayanna Pressley? She's young and ticks the 'woman of color' box. Other than Pressley, I have no clue. If he asked Stacey Abrams, I doubt she'd accept. She wants her future to be working from within the party, not against it.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:27 PM

Selecting a woman because she is a woman has been disastrous last two times it was done.

Warren is the obvious qualified candidate but she is over 70

Does the US system not produce charismatic female leaders. Like Thatcher or Merkel. Or Indira Gandhi or Benezir Bhutto?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Does the US system not produce charismatic female leaders. Like Thatcher or Merkel. Or Indira Gandhi or Benezir Bhutto?
I have tremendous respect for Merkel. Smart. Determined. Principled. Compassionate. In charge.

Charismatic? No, I think not.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Presidential candidates have typically held a major statewide office (obviously there are some notable exceptions), and women only started being elected to statewide offices in large numbers about 25 years ago. When Thatcher, Gandhi, and Bhutto were winning their first elections, there were next to no women in high-level US politics.

I don't think it helps that our cabinet is not a part of a traditional path to the presidency, or that political parties choose their candidates up and down the ballot in primaries open to the general public.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-08-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
Presidential candidates have typically held a major statewide office (obviously there are some notable exceptions), and women only started being elected to statewide offices in large numbers about 25 years ago. When Thatcher, Gandhi, and Bhutto were winning their first elections, there were next to no women in high-level US politics.

I don't think it helps that our cabinet is not a part of a traditional path to the presidency, or that political parties choose their candidates up and down the ballot in primaries open to the general public.
Good point about Cabinet. Note that all four of AK84's examples come from parliamentary systems. You don't need to win state-wide or national elections to work your way up the parliamentary system, just your local constituency. That makes entry to political office easier.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Based on my Facebook feed today, and the vibe from all the women in my life, not picking a woman as a running mate would be a fucking disaster in the fall. It's not like the nominee has to go out and say "I will be picking a woman because that is what I have to do." But just like nominees in the past picked a running mate based on geography or experience, yes, this year gender and race need to balance the ticket. It's not tokenism, it's just smart politics.

Also based on my Facebook feed today, and the vibe from a lot of people in my life, Warren dropping out has been the most painful drop-out of the cycle.

On Amy Klobuchar: I seriously don't know anyone here in Michigan, or in Ohio or Illinois, who gave two rips about her, male or female. She was terrible. Why are there so many people on this board who think she has this amazing future in presidential politics? Is she what people outside the Midwest think people in the Midwest want? She's not. Her poll numbers sucked from start to finish, her debate performances ranged from mockable to forgettable, and her delegate count? People were floored when she got six in New Hampshire. No one shed a tear when she dropped out. In fact, the most excitement her campaign generated was when she dropped out and endorsed Biden.

Warren's exit, on the other hand, has ignited a bonfire of deep, deep sadness, from columnists and network talking heads to my mother and every union organizer I know.

But yes, let's get Klobuchar on the ticket. Never mind that she makes Tim Kaine look like Winston Churchill. She's from the Midwest so people there must love her!

On the contrary, for Biden, his strength is the industrial Midwest. We don't need someone like Baldwin or Klobuchar or Whitmer to help him out here. We need someone to bring in Latinos or progressives or both. Someone who can maybe tap into the sunbelt or excite the college-educated suburban women who are mourning the loss of Warren today.

All of this, of course, is jmho, and largely based on shit that I've read, heard and seen today from my couch in Michigan and around my life for the past several months. YMMV.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
On Amy Klobuchar: I seriously don't know anyone here in Michigan, or in Ohio or Illinois, who gave two rips about her, male or female. She was terrible. Why are there so many people on this board who think she has this amazing future in presidential politics? Is she what people outside the Midwest think people in the Midwest want? She's not. Her poll numbers sucked from start to finish, her debate performances ranged from mockable to forgettable, and her delegate count? People were floored when she got six in New Hampshire. No one shed a tear when she dropped out. In fact, the most excitement her campaign generated was when she dropped out and endorsed Biden.

Warren's exit, on the other hand, has ignited a bonfire of deep, deep sadness, from columnists and network talking heads to my mother and every union organizer I know.

But yes, let's get Klobuchar on the ticket. Never mind that she makes Tim Kaine look like Winston Churchill. She's from the Midwest so people there must love her!
For me, it’s not a matter of how charismatic or electrifying Klobuchar’s personality is. It’s mostly a matter of how Biden, at best, was well on his way to a 2nd place finish in a contested convention scenario. She changed the whole dynamic of the race by dropping out and endorsing Biden. Had she not done so, we would probably still be looking at a 5 person race right now rather than a duel between Biden and Sanders the rest of the way (yes, I’m ignoring Tulsi). My guess is that Biden promised her the spot, and to go back on that would be a disaster. Or, as they say in south, “you dance with the one who brung you.”

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 03-06-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
For me, it’s not a matter of how charismatic or electrifying Klobuchar’s personality is. It’s mostly a matter of how Biden, at best, was well on his way to a 2nd place finish in a contested convention scenario. She changed the whole dynamic of the race by dropping out and endorsing Biden. Had she not done so, we would probably still be looking at a 5 person race right now rather than a duel between Biden and Sanders the rest of the way (yes, I’m ignoring Tulsi). My guess is that Biden promised her the spot, and to go back on that would be a disaster. Or, as they say in south, “you dance with the one who brung you.”
Why do you think Klobuchar "changed the whole dynamic of the race by endorsing Biden"? How are you so certain that that was the main reason Biden surged and not, say, that South Carolina Black voters, desperate to get rid of Trump and thinking Biden was more likely to win than Sanders, went for Biden? Or that there was a backlash to Sanders' nomination?

She likely dropped out of the race and threw support to Biden for a very different reason than you're suggesting:

Klobuchar told her aides that she wanted to get behind Biden quickly — "it all happened in a matter of a couple hours," she said — over fear that Sanders would lose badly to President Donald Trump if he won the Democratic nomination — something she raised in debates earlier this year.
[bolding mine] [source]

A Minnesota newspaper said Klobuchar's decision to drop out and deliver her home state to Biden was for a very specific reason:

Quote:
Klobuchar finished in sixth place, with CNN’s Exit Poll placing her support from black voters in South Carolina at one percent.

This is the moment her campaign says Klobuchar began to reevaluate whether they’d stay in the race. Klobuchar had a serious conversation with her campaign manager, Justin Buoen, about dropping out.
I like Klobuchar. I'm just not convinced things unfolded as you speculate they did.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Howsabout a female general (or equivalent)? By definition, if you're a general, you have to be politically savvy.

From a marketing perspective:
1. Easiest path to breaking the highest glass ceiling as Biden or Bernie have a high chance of dying in office
2. Get the military fully on board. (It is my impression that at least the military leadership hates Trump for calling into question alliances, and pardoning war criminals)

IMHO, a female general will bring a lot more to the ticket than any of the above alternatives.