Old 03-13-2020, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

March 17: the overshadowed-by-covid-19 primaries (FL,IL,OH,AZ)

On Tuesday, March 17, four states with 577 delegates will vote: FL (219), IL (155), OH (136), and AZ (67). Once those states have voted, the voting for 61.5% of the delegates will have been completed.

This is the last big batch of delegates to be chosen for quite a while: between March 17 and April 28, when six Northeastern states with 663 delegates will vote, there will not be a day when more than 107 delegates are up for grabs; it'll be just dribs and drabs.

So, which geezer will all the retirees in FL and AZ vote for? Will Bernie show that he has as much appeal to the Midwestern voters of Ohio and Illinois as he had last week with the voters of Michigan?

We're all hanging on the edge of our seats, I know. But I figured a thread would be in order.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:33 AM

In Arizona, 538 shows Biden leading over Bernie. We're becoming a purple state, and none too soon. Mark Kelly is leading McSally for the Senate race, so that's awesome. McSally was appointed by the Governor when McCain died.

Last edited by campp; 03-13-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
So, which geezer will all the retirees in FL and AZ vote for?
I think it is probably safe to guess which geezer the Cuban and Venezuelan Americans in Florida will vote for. The bright side for Sanders is that Florida is a closed primary. That limits the potential damage among a Republican leaning demographic.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
I think it is probably safe to guess which geezer the Cuban and Venezuelan Americans in Florida will vote for. The bright side for Sanders is that Florida is a closed primary. That limits the potential damage among a Republican leaning demographic.
I think a closed primary would help Biden, when you combine the effects of Republican trolling, leftist Bernie supporters for whom the Democratic party is too conservative to join, and "Burn it all down" Trump-Sanders people.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Nate Silver tweets:
Quote:
If you're wondering why my tone implies that the primary is basically resolved, here are our polling averages for the 4 states voting on Tuesday:

FL: Biden +42.8
IL: Biden +29.9
OH: Biden +24.6
AZ: Biden +24.5
Fat lady's warming up her vocal cords.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Nate Silver tweets:
Fat lady's warming up her vocal cords.
And FL has a lot of delegates, and Sanders has no chance.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:59 PM

If Sanders get blown out in all 4 states I don't see how he can stay in the race. As Yogi Berra said, it ain't over til it's over. It should be over for Sanders Tues.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 03-13-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
If Sanders get blown out in all 4 states I don't see how he can stay in the race. As Yogi Berra said, it ain't over til it's over. It should be over for Sanders Tues.
He canít have his massive ego stroking rallies. The news will be all Corona, it would be pointless. Iíve had MSNBC in the background all day and donít think Iíve seen his waggling finger yet.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Bet he stays in, even if the margins for Biden are huge.

He'll find a way to rationalize it.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Bet he stays in, even if the margins for Biden are huge.

He'll find a way to rationalize it.
All states havenít had the chance to vote!!! And I want to get my message out. Same shit as 2016z
Old 03-13-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
All states havenít had the chance to vote!!! And I want to get my message out. Same shit as 2016z
Yeah.

Sanders is not even remotely on to himself. When I think of him I'm inevitably reminded of Richard Feynman's immortal remark:

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourselfóand you are the easiest person to fool.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:48 PM

What are the odds that all four of those primaries take place as scheduled?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:28 AM

older folks may stay home and that could depress Biden's numbers. Can't blame them for staying home at this point.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:41 PM

Georgia just postponed.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...mpression=true
Old 03-15-2020, 11:53 AM

I suspect the virus will keep more older people away, meaning some advantage to Sanders. But Biden has such big polling leads in those states it probably doesnít matter.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
I suspect the virus will keep more older people away, meaning some advantage to Sanders. But Biden has such big polling leads in those states it probably doesnít matter.
And, the college students are now spread out and dealing with the transition to online classes, so that could mitigate it some as Sanders might lose some votes.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:23 PM

I'm an Illinois voter, and couldn't tell you the last time I skipped an election. However, I'm considering skipping the primary. I'm not certain, but I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't skip the general, not with Trump on the ticket, but there I'll support whoever the Democrat is. Covid-19 is why I'm considering skipping the primary.

Biden is expected to win Illinois, and that's who I'd vote for. I'll let you know Tuesday, this virus crap seems to get weirder by the hour, so Tuesday could be a long way away.
(I took my stepdaughter to a restaurant in Orland Park today, and was a little hesitant to do that. But she was in favor, and we went. TBy the time we got home it was announced that tomorrow all sit down restaurants and bars in Illinois are going to be closed for the next 2 weeks plus.)

Last edited by bobot; 03-15-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I'm an Illinois voter, and couldn't tell you the last time I skipped an election. However, I'm considering skipping the primary. I'm not certain, but I'm thinking about it. I wouldn't skip the general, not with Trump on the ticket, but there I'll support whoever the Democrat is. Covid-19 is why I'm considering skipping the primary.

Biden is expected to win Illinois, and that's who I'd vote for. I'll let you know Tuesday, this virus crap seems to get weirder by the hour, so Tuesday could be a long way away.
(I took my stepdaughter to a restaurant in Orland Park today, and was a little hesitant to do that. But she was in favor, and we went. TBy the time we got home it was announced that tomorrow all sit down restaurants and bars in Illinois are going to be closed for the next 2 weeks plus.)
Iíll encourage you to vote, the amount of Bernie Ďstay home for your healthí stuff is sickening on social media.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Iíll encourage you to vote, the amount of Bernie Ďstay home for your healthí stuff is sickening on social media.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Covid-19 is why I'm considering skipping the primary...
Does Illinois not have absentee voting? After reading this thread, I just sent my email to the city requesting an absentee ballot (which they'll email to me... no human contact, no germs!).
Old 03-16-2020, 01:56 AM

With the new CDC guidelines, I don’t see how they can justify holding primaries. I think turnout will be light and skewed younger which may favor Sanders. OTOH, never count out the old folks. They are the ones who always show up in snowstorms when the younger ones cancel. I just wish that these four big states had already voted. No matter what, the results will be skewed.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:54 PM

Mike DeWine is recommending that the Ohio primary be bumped to June.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been reporting posts left and right on social media. These Bros aren’t particularly smart, they still have Bernie stuff in their profile as they encourage older voters to stay at home tomorrow for health. Utterly despicable what these shitheads will do for their revolution.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Ohio governor called to postpone the elections less than 24 hours before the polls opened. Judge overruled his order. They sent Ohio’s favorite new person, Dr. Amy Acton, to call a stare of emergency and cancel the election for reals. The story is ongoing, I think.

https://m.clevescene.com/scene-and-h...ff-again-maybe

I personally didn’t vote early because I didn’t have enough info yet to decide between the candidates. I was biding my time. I wasn’t sure if I was going to bother to vote Tuesday but there is an issue I want to pass (parks levy).

The governor is right - old and immunocompromised people shouldn’t have to choose between their health and their right to vote. They need to suspend it and give everyone a chance.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:55 PM

Never mind what I wrote, the secretary of state of Ohio just sent a letter to all the election boards and said it’s been postponed until June 2.

Last edited by Maserschmidt; 03-16-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 PM

I should mention that the Ohio House of Representatives sent a simultaneous note saying that Mike DeWine didnít have the right to pause the primaries, and that they were to continue.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post

... The governor is right - old and immunocompromised people shouldnít have to choose between their health and their right to vote. ...
Better for an executive to have the power to take away that choice?

Be aware that there is a reasonable possibility that we will be in a public health crisis next November, worse than we are now.

Should the president have the power then to decide that voting is too dangerous and suspend elections until some further notice? Oh weíll do it later, when it is safe for everyone to vote. Whenever the executive decides that is.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:35 PM

I think Bernie needs to drop out tomorrow. By continuing the fight, he's exposing people to corona needlessly. He drops out, Biden is the nominee. He hangs on and the remainder of the primaries go on, Biden is the nominee and tens of thousands if not more people get infected and hundreds if not thousands die. He has put his heart and soul into running for 6 years now, but it's time to abandon the dream. He will never be president, he needs to go back to advocating for his causes in the Senate. Or better still, retire and let a real Democrat have the seat.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I think Bernie needs to drop out tomorrow. By continuing the fight, he's exposing people to corona needlessly. He drops out, Biden is the nominee. He hangs on and the remainder of the primaries go on, Biden is the nominee and tens of thousands if not more people get infected and hundreds if not thousands die. He has put his heart and soul into running for 6 years now, but it's time to abandon the dream. He will never be president, he needs to go back to advocating for his causes in the Senate. Or better still, retire and let a real Democrat have the seat.
Uh, you know that there are other primaries going on, not just the presidential race right?
Old 03-17-2020, 01:38 PM

True enough, but those can take place in the summer.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Iím just blowing off steam but I think he should be expelled from the Senate
Old 03-17-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Why stop there? All his supporters in the House and Senate too! Hell, why not get all his rank-and-file supporters fired from their jobs? Let's doom the Democratic party for decades by deliberately targeting and pissing off young progressives!

Or maybe we could try to welcome young progressives into the party? Maybe the future of the party is more important than settling scores with the progressives you despise?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-17-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Old 03-17-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
We may need his vote for majority leader next year, best not to piss him off too much. In 2022 if Dems have a more substantial majority, then by all means take away his committee assignments.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:43 PM

On the one hand, kudos to the governor for trying to do the right thing unlike other states. OTOH, this is an absolute mess. So glad my state already voted.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:56 PM

The times we live in keep getting interestinger and interestinger.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:34 AM

The Governor of Illinois has declared that we will have no gatherings of 50 or more people. I'm not eactly sure what means of enforcement are available, but today is election day. There could easily be state sanctioned gatherings of 50 or more people.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The Governor of Illinois has declared that we will have no gatherings of 50 or more people. I'm not eactly sure what means of enforcement are available, but today is election day. There could easily be state sanctioned gatherings of 50 or more people.
Maybe, but not at my polling location. When I went, it was me and two other people (and the polling location is for two precincts). Only three election judges for each precinct, the legal minimum.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:44 AM

Closed primaries definitely hurt Sanders, and were a constant source of Berner complaint back in 2016.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
Closed primaries definitely hurt Sanders, and were a constant source of Berner complaint back in 2016.
All they have to do is register Dem- and for whom they are trying to nominate.

I think all primaries shoudl be closed.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:36 PM

I voted. It was 20 after 6 this morning, and my trip to and from work takes me right past my polling place. It looked very quiet, and I allow a few minutes leeway on my work journey. There was no line, and according to the vote counting machine I was the 9th voter at that time. So there you go Joe Biden, bring it home now.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Ugh, just saw Bernie trolls invaded my Pete groups on Facebook and encouraging people to vote for Pete so they can ‘vote their conscience’
Old 03-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Better for an executive to have the power to take away that choice?

Be aware that there is a reasonable possibility that we will be in a public health crisis next November, worse than we are now.

Should the president have the power then to decide that voting is too dangerous and suspend elections until some further notice? Oh we’ll do it later, when it is safe for everyone to vote. Whenever the executive decides that is.

Uh, no. With more than 24 hours notice the state can set up alternative means of voting.

Why not send a ballot to every registered voter in the state by mail, and make it free to return? Ohio allows absentee voting without a reason. But you have to request a ballot in time and return it in time with a stamp.

If we knew there would have been a health crisis, we could have all done this anyway. But we didn’t.

Heck, the timing of this outbreak even messed up the ability of people to campaign in our state. If they knew that there would be an at-minimum 6 day turnaround between requesting a ballot and casting your vote, it would have helped campaign plans as well.

I’m not saying the lawsuit was unfounded. I’m not saying the initial judge’s decision was poor. I’m saying that I was ok with the POSTPONEMENT of this election because now everyone who wasn’t going to be able to vote in person will have time to vote by mail, or vote in person when the emergency is lifted.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Anyone hearing results on today's elections?
Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone hearing results on today's elections?
It was a foregone conclusion but Trump got enough delegates today to officially be the 2020 Republican nominee.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:04 PM

Biden's voters are literally risking their lives to vote, and Sanders voters are more likely to be out at a pub or smoking a joint and rambling on twitter.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Biden's voters are literally risking their lives to vote, and Sanders voters are more likely to be out at a pub or smoking a joint and rambling on twitter.
Heh.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 PM

(Response to Little Nemo...)

Fuck. I almost took a Republican ballot just to vote against that guy, "Rocky" is taking him on.

https://www.ballotready.org/il/17/roque-de-la-fuente

Last edited by bobot; 03-17-2020 at 08:06 PM. Reason: ()
Old 03-17-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
Why not send a ballot to every registered voter in the state by mail, and make it free to return? Ohio allows absentee voting without a reason. But you have to request a ballot in time and return it in time with a stamp.
Arizona, one of the states voting today, allows absentee voting without a reason and gives you a paid business reply envelope to return your ballot.

Last edited by cochrane; 03-17-2020 at 07:50 PM.