Old 03-04-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
But his entire strategy rested on the idea of skipping the small early states so that he could get a jump on a Super Tuesday. If he couldn't even come close to winning on the day that he had spent the most money and effort on, how is is going to pull it off going forward. Also he realizes that if he stays in he's, at best, going to be a spoiler for Biden, and who he (rightly in my opinion), thinks has the best chance of beating Trump. So for his political goals he's best off dropping out and spending his money promoting Biden rather than himself.
Yeah, I don't think Bloomberg's ambition was so much being president, as it was beating Trump. When he got in, it was because he didn't think the Dem field was moving in a direction that would prove victorious in November 2020. I think he's a little more confident in that now, and is therefore comfortable dropping out and throwing his weight and massive billfold behind Biden. For all the bad things people say about Bloomberg, I think he was in this because he had the same goal as all of us: To beat Trump. And I don't hold his extensive wealth against him, I actually welcomed it because I considered it to be a great asset for the Dems in the political system we currently have.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Anyone done the math yet on how much each vote he got cost him?

I shudder to think at what good could have been done in the world with that money.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
The Washington Post broke it down by state (might be behind a paywall.)

For the states with 95% of precincts reporting:

Minnesota - $220 per vote
Texas, Vermont and Alabama - $170 per vote
Oklahoma - $130 per vote
Tennessee - $100 per vote
North Carolina - $90 per vote
Virginia - $60 per vote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
...So for his political goals he's best off dropping out and spending his money promoting Biden rather than himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Yeah, I don't think Bloomberg's ambition was so much being president, as it was beating Trump. When he got in, it was because he didn't think the Dem field was moving in a direction that would prove victorious in November 2020. I think he's a little more confident in that now, and is therefore comfortable dropping out and throwing his weight and massive billfold behind Biden. For all the bad things people say about Bloomberg, I think he was in this because he had the same goal as all of us: To beat Trump. ...
Yes. If this had been an ego trip he'd still be in. But now that he's seen the Democratic party get behind Biden--including the choices of Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Steyer to get out fast--he's confident we're on the right track to get Trump out.

Quote:
I shudder to think at what good could have been done in the world with that money.
What's been done with that money is:
***create an infrastructure that he will continue to fund: offices and staff in crucial states, ready to work to get out the vote in November, and
***pepper the airwaves with ads ridiculing Trump and pointing out what a disaster Trump has been for the USA, in every way.

None of the money Bloomberg has spent is wasted, in my view. He's been investing in American democracy. He knows that if Trump remains in office, we will have lost the republic---and the chances of getting it back may be dismal for generations.

Staffing of offices:
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/po...2-1d312a85b442

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...tates-n1110791
Old 03-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Or buffalo wings. I shudder at the volume of wings he coulda bought.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Yeah, I don't think Bloomberg's ambition was so much being president, as it was beating Trump. When he got in, it was because he didn't think the Dem field was moving in a direction that would prove victorious in November 2020. I think he's a little more confident in that now, and is therefore comfortable dropping out and throwing his weight and massive billfold behind Biden. For all the bad things people say about Bloomberg, I think he was in this because he had the same goal as all of us: To beat Trump. And I don't hold his extensive wealth against him, I actually welcomed it because I considered it to be a great asset for the Dems in the political system we currently have.
I think his short run was a vanity project for him (although he may have convinced himself that his primary motivation was beating Trump for the good of the country).

New Yorkers haven't forgotten his shady back-room deal to snag himself a third term as mayor, in violation of the city charter. That's the real Bloomberg.

I'm glad he's out. If he had by some miracle taken the nomination, I'm not sure I would have voted Democratic. Hey, there's a first time for everything.

Here's a thought: If Mike wants to do some real good for the country, he should put a bounty on Mitch McConnell's head (a political bounty, of course - I'm certainly not advocating violence). Bloomberg could declare that he's funding a PAC with vast sums of money that will fund anyone running against Mitch. Perhaps even Republican primary challengers.

Now that would be a billion well-spent. Much better than the money thrown down the drain on his ridiculous campaign.

In fairness, I think he's doing some good with his anti-gun stuff. But I'm glad he's not going to be our next president.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:24 PM

he said he is going to keep spending to defeat Trump. We'll see if that is true soon.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Seems like Mike really dislikes Trump, vice versa, and it's deeply personal. Bloomberg LP makes a ton of money, and Mike owns most of it. He wants to take down trump and he is putting a fraction of his estimated $60B net wealth against it (although it may actually be a noticeable amount of his free cash flow). since I want to see trump taken down, I'm not complaining
Old 03-04-2020, 10:18 PM

Bloomberg TV should be making 100 commercials for Biden right now.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Bloomberg TV should be making 100 commercials for Biden right now.
I know I've seen at least one hundred Bloomberg commercials for Bloomberg since he dropped out of the race. In fact,the very first commercial after he made his announcement was one of his commercials. When does it stop?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I know I've seen at least one hundred Bloomberg commercials for Bloomberg since he dropped out of the race. In fact,the very first commercial after he made his announcement was one of his commercials. When does it stop?
If he's already bought the air time, the stations will run the commercials to keep their money.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Here's a thought: If Mike wants to do some real good for the country, he should put a bounty on Mitch McConnell's head (a political bounty, of course - I'm certainly not advocating violence). Bloomberg could declare that he's funding a PAC with vast sums of money that will fund anyone running against Mitch. Perhaps even Republican primary challengers.

Now that would be a billion well-spent. Much better than the money thrown down the drain on his ridiculous campaign.

In fairness, I think he's doing some good with his anti-gun stuff. But I'm glad he's not going to be our next president.
How much money can he contribute to a candidate?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:14 AM

Same as everyone else. Like $3k or something. But he can form a Super PAC and fill it with as much cash as he wants, just can't directly coordinate with the candidate.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:51 PM

He did well. At no personal loss to his power or fortune he has helped stop Sanders and helped maintain control of the USA for the oligarchs.

It does show how much money these people have to splash around though. Imagine that cash going on something useful, like saving lives or nice public art.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 AM

Bloomberg cutting all campaign staff April 1. He said they would stay on until November

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-bloomb...health-1493533
Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Bloomberg cutting all campaign staff April 1. He said they would stay on until November

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-bloomb...health-1493533
I heard about this on The Hill a while ago. Here's more from your linked article that is titled: Mike Bloomberg Lays Off Staffers After Telling Them They've Been Exposed to Coronavirus; Health Insurance Runs Out March 31

After promising staffers to his campaign that they would be employed, no matter what happened, until November, Bloomberg is now laying off the staff, leaving them with no health insurance in the middle of the Coronavirus in NYC where the number of infected is really high. He also advised them that they've all been exposed to the Coronavirus by working in his offices.

Quote:
After being told via email on Thursday that they had potentially been exposed to coronavirus, New York-area staffers for billionaire Mike Bloomberg's presidential campaign were laid off Friday. The staffers are expected to lose their health insurance at the end of March.

In the email sent to staffers advising them of their possible coronavirus exposure, Bloomberg campaign human resources said the infected individual had not been present in the offices since Monday.

"In the meantime, as a precautionary measure, we ask that you continue to stay out of the office and work from home for the next 14 days," the email said.
While he's pulling funds from people who really need help and who he promised to fund, his philanthropic fund will be funding the Coronavirus for $75M.

Quote:
In cooperation with other charitable organizations, Bloomberg Philanthropies announced on Friday the launch of a coronavirus relief fund worth $75 million in New York City designed to help non-profits.
Somehow, he couldn't use any of the $75M to keep the commitments to his employees during a crisis where working for him infected them with a potentially deadly virus.

He gives a flimsy excuse for getting rid of the workers by noting that he is transferring his operation to the DNC to coordinate:

Quote:
Bloomberg staffers across the country were told they would be losing their positions as his campaign shifted $18 million in funds to the Democratic National Committee in order to campaign against President Donald Trump in battleground states. The campaign's decision to coordinate with the DNC also includes the transference of Bloomberg campaign offices in some areas to state Democratic parties.
If he felt the DNC could coordinate an effort to defeat Donald Trump, he could have given all the money he spent, including all the ad money directly to the DNC from the beginning. He could have shifted the $410M in ads and $900M overall to the org he now says has the ability to coordinate an effort to defeat Donald Trump.

To me, that is a glimpse of what he would have been like as a leader.