Old 03-06-2020, 05:50 AM

Some of us aren't up-to-date with the acronyms. I'm still not even sure what LOL means.

Maybe I'm an offender: I throw around UIAM, BTW, IANAL and AFAIK — but ISTM that if even I know those acronyms (all of which I picked up here), almost all of you do. NAFTA, USMC, WASP, ACLU, NAACP — maybe I know hundreds of acronyms altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Those same demographics have elected consecutive PAN Presidents. This tells us nothing.
Any clues? Is it bigger than a breadbox?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Some of us aren't up-to-date with the acronyms. I'm still not even sure what LOL means.

Maybe I'm an offender: I throw around UIAM, BTW, IANAL and AFAIK — but ISTM that if even I know those acronyms (all of which I picked up here), almost all of you do. NAFTA, USMC, WASP, ACLU, NAACP — maybe I know hundreds of acronyms altogether.

Any clues? Is it bigger than a breadbox?
PAN presidents? Like Johanna, I’m thinking “Mexico” — center-right presidents from 2000-2012 (which at least broke the 70 years of PRI with something more like democracy). Of course, “center-right” means different things in Mexico (think more like Europe).

Or, it could be “pan-pan” — isn’t that pilot-speak for “total disaster,” even worse than “mayday”?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:01 AM

I read it as "PAN," as in Mexico too. Surely, it cannot be anything else.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:50 AM

Aaron Hamlin of the Center for Election Science tweeted yesterday that polls conducted using approval voting indicated much wider support for Warren than did our first past the post system. This would have been a good year to experiment with approval voting, especially with candidates who are a little further out on the policy spectrum than we normally see. A candidate "winning" a state with 34% of the vote doesn't really tell us much. The only thing we learn is that two thirds of the voters had that candidate somewhere between second and last on their list.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

It sure doesn't sound like Warren is getting set to endorse Bernie Sanders. From this morning in The Washington Post, "Warren calls out Sanders for ‘organized nastiness’ and ‘bullying’ by his supporters".
Quote:
“I think that’s a real problem with this online bullying and sort of organized nastiness. … I’m talking about some really ugly stuff that went on” [Warren said in an interview with Rachel Maddow on MSNBC].

While politics has become riddled with such behavior, she said it was a particular problem with Sanders’s supporters. “It is. It just is,” she told Maddow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Or, it could be “pan-pan” — isn’t that pilot-speak for “total disaster,” even worse than “mayday”?
No, it's the other way around: "mayday" is for "life threatening situations" while "pan-pan" is for "urgent situations that are not immediately life threatening".

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 03-06-2020, 09:51 AM

Yeah, Bernie Bros burnt that Warren bridge. Won't stop them from bitching about her not endorsing. From my conversation from my Bernie Bro friend.:

Me: Also how they, as you just did, act like their attitude should have zero effect on how I feel about the candidate. Sorry it does have an effect.

Him: Well that is crazy, your opinion should be about his policies.

Yeah, why should you being a fuckface have any consequences for your fucking messiah?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Very sorry she dropped out. I thought she was the best of the field heading into Super Tuesday. I doubt either Biden or Bernie would pick her as a running mate, given all of their ages, but I could see her as a Treasury or Commerce secretary, or AG, in the next Dem Cabinet.
[hindsight] It was obvious from up front that she'd not be nominated. [/hindsight]

Too many Dem senators ran, thus too many are cabinet candidates if Biden gains the superdupermajority of votes needed to win the White House. (Rigged election: 70% of senators represent 36% of the population. That bias carries over into electoral votes.) Removing Dems from the Senate doesn't sound like a smart move. Warren would hold great power as chair of Senate committees when Dems take the majority.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
...if Biden gains the superdupermajority of votes needed to win the White House.
It is certainly true that under the current system getting 48.2% of the popular vote doesn't guarantee you'll become President of the United States (even if your opponent only gets 46.1%). On the other hand, Barack Obama never got more than 52.9% of the popular vote--hardly a "supermajority"--and he DID get elected. Twice.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico
Too many Dem senators ran, thus too many are cabinet candidates if Biden gains the superdupermajority of votes needed to win the White House.
"Thus"? Don't be silly. Running for the nomination isn't a fast track to a cabinet position or make an offer of one obligatory.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-06-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
1) Buttigieg just didn't comment as people shouted about 2024, but it would have been nice for him to correct them with a comment that the job will be the Democratic incumbent's until 2028. She OTOH mentioned after what was to some listeners an emotional moment about all the pinkie swears to little girls that they'll have to wait four more years ... which to me implicitly assumes a loss by the D nominee or a one-termer at best. Was that meant as a dis?
Assuming Joe or Bernie win, I'm hopeful that neither of them would run for re-election. So while it may have been dis, I think at some level it is a recognition that neither of them are likely to run in 2024.

Last edited by Folacin; 03-06-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:13 PM
SDSAB

A nice tribute to Sen. Warren from Common Dreams: https://www.commondreams.org/further...-you-elizabeth
Old 03-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
She was my favorite. I identify as a wonk she is the wonkiest candidate I have ever seen. But now it is a straight head to head contest. It looks like Biden has the inside track, but a lot can change in a month. Try to picture what the race looked like a month ago.
She and I don't see eye to eye on many issues, but I really appreciated the effort put into how to actually implement things as opposed to just pushing sound bites.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I read it as "PAN," as in Mexico too. Surely, it cannot be anything else.
madsircool hasn't been back to decrypt it for us.