Old 03-22-2020, 07:26 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You require blind trusts for elected officials?
Loeffler’s husband is the chairman of the New York Stock Exchange. Is it required of him to have a blind trust? She is claiming that their assists are in a trust and she wasn’t even informed of the sales until 3 weeks after it happened. Maybe it can be proven, I don’t know.

The amount she sold is more than I could use in my lifetime but it’s a drop in the bucket compared to their net worth which is something like $750 million.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:57 PM

he got sued over the stock sale

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/bur...ales/19026735/
Old 03-24-2020, 04:59 PM

That's great news. I see the suit was brought by someone who owned shares in the stock that Burr sold off.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:48 PM

FBI and SEC looking into the sales

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fb...ort-2020-03-29
Old 03-30-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I see that North Carolina requires that an interim appointment to the Senate must be of the same party as the departed Senator.

I wonder, if Burr departs, whether Democratic Governor Roy Cooper could just invoke the McConnell rule and decide that it is wrong to appoint a successor in an election year, and just leave Burr’s Republican seat vacant for the next few months. Or years.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I see that North Carolina requires that an interim appointment to the Senate must be of the same party as the departed Senator.

I wonder, if Burr departs, whether Democratic Governor Roy Cooper could just invoke the McConnell rule and decide that it is wrong to appoint a successor in an election year, and just leave Burr’s Republican seat vacant for the next few months. Or years.
True it would have to be a Republican to replace Burr, but only until the next statewide general election (ie November) and the person elected then only serves out the remainder of the leaving Senator's term (in order to stay on schedule), which for Burr's cohort would be 2022.

Last edited by USCDiver; 03-30-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
And to show that it's not only GOP senators who do this, Dianne Feinstein is also listed as selling off stock.

The whole lot of them should resign.
Her husband's trust buys and sells a lot of stock, quite often. The trade talked about wasnt unusual, and he did not dump all his stocks liek several GOP members did.

It was normal trading. Stocks are bought and sold every day, why should they be any different? What is unusual is for someone to dump all their stock holding.

There was nothing wrong nor unusual with the Feinstein trade, despite the GOP's attempt to "whatabout" it .

Anyone who knows anything about the market would not raise a eyebrow at that trade.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:45 PM

Couldn't Cooper just appoint a very, very moderate Republican?
Old 03-31-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I can re-register as a Republican if the country demands it.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or even better, see if Roy Moore wants to move to NC for a few months.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see those words "moderate Republican," and they're right side by side, like the words "Six-legged trombone" or "sugary prognostication," but I'm having trouble attaching meaning to them.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 03-31-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I see those words "moderate Republican," and they're right side by side, like the words "Six-legged trombone" or "sugary prognostication," but I'm having trouble attaching meaning to them.
Mitt Romney vote to impeach trump. So, at least one GOP Senator has ethics.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
He could do that but I believe what happens is that the NC GOP will give him a name or names they want. He doesn't have to pick from that list but he likely will.

In 1986 a GOP NC senator killed himself during an election year. The NC GOP governor appointed a GOP congressman to fill the seat but he lost in November to the Dem.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
He could do that but I believe what happens is that the NC GOP will give him a name or names they want. He doesn't have to pick from that list but he likely will.
Actually, he does have to pick from that list. The NC legislature changed the law when Cooper was elected in 2018. Scroll down to 163-12. The state GOP party will give him a list of 3 people to pick from. That person would serve until the next general election, at which point a person would be elected to serve out the rest of the term.

I'd hazard a guess that if the governor declined to pick anyone from the list the GOP could try to force him to do so in court, but given the next election would only be 7 months away at most, it probably wouldn't get decided before then.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM

Here's an interesting article that the Tar Heel Circle members who he gave much more realistic info too could also be prosecuted for insider trading if they dumped their own stock. Which would be an amazing combination of justice & schadenfreude.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM

FBI searched Burr's phone and his home . Maybe he thinks he can ride this out until he retires in 2022.

https://indyweek.com/news/northcarol...earch-warrant/
Old 05-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
FBI searched Burr's phone and his home . Maybe he thinks he can ride this out until he retires in 2022.

https://indyweek.com/news/northcarol...earch-warrant/
He's having a bumpy ride. He's just resigned as Senate Intelligence Committee chairman
pending the outcome of the investigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Self-Distancing Mitch McConnell
We agreed that this decision would be in the best interests of the committee and will be effective at the end of the day tomorrow
Old 05-14-2020, 12:22 PM

I'm sure if there's one thing McConnell can't stand, it's when Republicans cheat and get caught. Of course we can count on the totally apolitical DOJ to prosecute this case with utmost fairness.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Oh, this is just so rich:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cha...e78467652.html

Quote:
U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, has a leading role in the debate over government access to encrypted personal data found on devices such as Apple’s iPhone. And he wants a law requiring tech giants such as Apple and Google to obey court orders so national security officials investigating terrorism can get into encrypted information.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac...hard-burr/amp/

Quote:
The FBI has obtained a copy of iCloud data belonging to Senator Richard Burr, chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, after serving Apple with a warrant compelling it to hand over the data. This likely includes an iCloud backup of Burr’s iPhone.
In the immortal words of the SDMB: “Gotcha ya!”
Old 05-14-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
He's having a bumpy ride. He's just resigned as Senate Intelligence Committee chairman
pending the outcome of the investigation.
I’m really loving watching Burr implode as much as the next guy, I went to high school with the guy and I didn’t like him then and I don’t like him now.

But TrumpWorld hates him. He’s not seeking re-election so he hasn’t had to sell out completely, and as head of the Senate Intelligence Committee he’s actually provided a certain amount of oversight. Not much, but more than we’ll get when a Trump toadie is leading the committee.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...igation-259740

So they’re going after him because he’s one of the few Republicans that’s not on the DOJ’s Do Not Prosecute List and they think it will make them look legitimate and give them grounds to claim that they are non-partisan.

But I think they’re only going after him because Trump hates him, otherwise they’d bury it. They are escalating the crazy and this is a message to any R congressman that’s going to try at push back on Obamagate.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-14-2020 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 AM

He may stick around until August which means the election for his seat won't be until 2022. The temp GOP guy taking his seat will be able to serve until 2022.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 PM

Bummer.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM

DOJ dropped investigations of others but Burr still investigated.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
DOJ dropped investigations of others but Burr still investigated.
He is the only one where it is obvious. When you sell it all, that is obvious.

Sure others sold stock, but the sales could be normal portfolio updating. When you sell of a small % of a portfolio- maybe or maybe not.