Old 05-28-2020, 10:45 PM

Who's your Biden Dream Team?

The New York Times asked recently who readers would put on Biden's cabinet. I've been thinking about a dream team myself lately.

First and foremost, my dream to run the cabinet meetings is obviously Joe Biden. Everything else would be gravy. But that being said, who would you like to see Biden surround himself with, starting with the Vice President?

The list, for you to fill in as you see fit; feel free to add explanations to any choices:

Cabinet
Veep:
State
Treasury:
Defense:
Justice:
Interior:
Agriculture:
Commerce:
Labor:
HHS:
HUD:
Transportation:
Energy:
Education:
VA:
Homeland Security:

Cabinet level
Chief of Staff:
Trade Representative:
Director of National Intelligence:
Office of Management & Budget:
CIA:
EPA:
Small Business Administration:

For shits and giggles
UN Ambassador:
Supreme Court Justice nominees:
Anyone else you'd like to add:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 PM

Some of my own picks:

Cabinet
Veep: Elizabeth Warren
State: John Kerry. The guy who can help lead the way back to normal. I think this is a good choice to show the world that we're looking to do a hard reboot from the global turmoil we've been inflicting upon humankind for the past four years. Just have him come in for two years to re-establish relationships and calm things the fuck down. Then hand it off to the UN Ambassador, who's being groomed to represent the US on the world stage.
Treasury: Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Defense: Ret. Adm. William McRaven The guy who led the Bin Laden mission, retired Navy SEAL.
Justice: Sally Yates. The woman who stood up to Trump less than two weeks into his administration, and refused to carry out his Muslim travel ban EO. As Obama's Deputy AG, she ran the day-to-day operations of Justice.
Interior: Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham. Traditionally someone from west of the Mississippi. She's Latina, has executive experience, was on the Ag committee in the House.
Agriculture: John Kasich. The token Republican on the cabinet. Anti-Trumper from a rural Midwestern state. Throw some of the sane GOPers a bone, especially the ones who put their necks out to go against Trump.
Commerce: Sen. Cory Booker
Labor: Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants, and labor rock star. Or Lee Saunders, president of AFSCME (public employee union and largest union in the AFL-CIO).
HHS: Dr. Abdul El-Sayed. Former Health Director for the city of Detroit, progressive firebrand in Michigan, Rhodes scholar, public health expert. Also, would be nice to see our first Muslim cabinet member.
HUD:
Transportation:
Energy:
Education: Evelyn DeJesus. Executive Vice President of the AFT. We've had corporate stooges and unqualified billionaires running things for the past four years; let's get some more folks on the labor side of things on the cabinet. And it would be nice to have an actual educator running the Education Department.
VA: Sen. Tammy Duckworth.
Homeland Security: Rep. Val Demmings. Nice career in law enforcement, helped lead the impeachment trial against Trump, a good representative of law and order.

Cabinet level
Chief of Staff:
Trade Representative:
Director of National Intelligence: Mayor Eric Garcetti.
Office of Management & Budget: Stacy Abrams.
CIA: Tom Donilon
EPA: Gov. Jay Inslee.
Small Business Administration: I want to say John Hickenlooper, but I figure he'll be just starting out his Senate career, so he probably wouldn't want to take this position.

For shits and giggles
UN Ambassador: Pete Buttigieg. Let him get some international experience for a couple years, then when Kerry retires for good after the midterms, Pete's a perfect fit for State.
Supreme Court Justice nominees: Merrick Garland, Kamala Harris
Old 05-29-2020, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Veep: Michelle Obama. This would make winning a slam dunk

State: Hillary Clinton.
Defense: Ret. Adm. William McRaven
Interior: Mayor pete

Scotus: Obama & Garland

Stacey Adams somewhere.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:33 AM

I'm thinking Biden will eventually settle on either Abrams or Demmings as his veep. I think Demmings might make Biden feel more comfortable but Abrams probably has the inside track. I hear the rumblings about Warren, but for all of her progressive credentials, she doesn't really add much to Biden's profile. Abrams is probably just as progressive, and she's also a bit of an outsider to Washington, which is a bonus. Abrams might even put Georgia in play, considering how close she came to winning it and considering the declining popularity of Kemp and Trump. Assuming she checks all the boxes, I'd hope he goes with Abrams for VP.

Beyond that, agree that Obama and Garland for Scotus.

Everything else is gravy.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 AM

Wow. That is a lot of slots to fill. Further, I am loath to tap any (or many) senators as I feel they can do more good where they are.
In the same way some governors ought not to be promoted (Ralph Northern). There are a lot of place for Pete Buttigieg.

We need to reexamine this thread come December or so.

Cabinet
Veep: Susana Martinez Governor of New Mexico
State: Nikki Haley first UN ambassador under Donald Trump, a Republican.
Treasury: Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York or maybe Anne Finucane (from Bank of America) (The same pair at Trade Representative)
Defense: Certainly Michèle Flournoy, former undersecretary for policy
Justice: Sally Yates, a no-brainer
Interior: Peter Buttigieg Although I would have preferred him as Veep. Maybe John Garamendi here.
Agriculture: Governor Laura Kelly of Kansas
Commerce: Jamie Dimon (J P Morgan/Chase)
Labor: Sara Nelson, But I must admit I am cribbing this name from Happy Lendervedder
HHS: Maybe Congressman Lauren Underwood
HUD:
Transportation:
Energy:
Education: Governor/Congressman Charlie Crist of Florida
VA:
Homeland Security: Susan Rice, here or at State.

Cabinet level
Chief of Staff: Probably Ron Klain who was his CoS when he was Veep.
Trade Representative: Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York or maybe Anne Finucane (from Bank of America) (The same pair at Trade Representative)
Office of Management & Budget: Probably Tom Nides
CIA:
EPA:

For shits and giggles
UN Ambassador: Probably Cathy Russell
Supreme Court Justice nominees: First Merrick Garlands (how old is he? Then maybe Sally Yates
Do you know a child in need?

Last edited by Paul in Qatar; 05-29-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:38 AM

First, I think tapping Democratic senators is in general a bad idea since Biden will need all the votes he can get in the senate, and 2022 is a good map for Democrats in the senate.

Second, I think the more people he names to fill these positions before the election, the better. Biden needs as many people getting out the vote as he can find, and the more people he names to these positions in say, August and September so that they can be out on the trail in October, the better.

Third, I think he should come out in favor of bringing back any bureaucrats that Trump fired for political reasons, like the IGs that Trump has recently fired.

Cabinet
Veep: Stacy Abrams
State: Mitt Romney
Treasury: Elizabeth Warren (if Democrats reach 51 Senators)
Defense: William McRaven
Justice: Sally Yates with Preet Bharara for Deputy AG
Interior: Michelle Lujan Grisham
Agriculture:
Commerce: Andrew Yang
Labor:
HHS: Sanjay Gupta
HUD:
Transportation:
Energy:
Education:
VA:
Homeland Security:

Cabinet level
Chief of Staff:
Trade Representative:
CIA:
EPA: Jill Stein - give the Greens a chance to enact environmental policy

For shits and giggles
UN Ambassador: Pete Buttigieg
Supreme Court Justice nominees: Any competent liberal federal judges, but not Merrick Garland who I believe was nominated by Obama in the naive belief a more moderate judge could get an up or down vote in the senate.
Brett Crozier - former captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt for some position in the Navy
Old 05-29-2020, 09:50 AM

I had forgotten about McRaven. Is Yang a serious person? Brett Crozier would be an inspired choice for Secretary of the Navy.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post

Stacey Adams somewhere.
I think the Obamas have no desire re-enter public life, whether as VP for Michelle or SCOTUS Justice for Barack. Merrick Garland would also be a bad choice for SCOTUS. He was picked because he was a liberal leaning moderate who Obama thought could get an up or down vote in the senate. We don't want to risk nominating the Democratic version of David Souter. Hillary would be a terrible pick for any position. The election would become a referendum on her at that point, and that's the last thing we need right now given how 2016 turned out.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 05-29-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Yang is very serious. Had the virus hit last year his UBI idea would have really helped him get more votes.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM

Why are people pushing for Garland on the supreme court. Garland is the moderate candidate Obama tried to use to win GOP votes. If the dems win the senate and presidency we should be pushing for left wing judges, not centrist ones.

If the GOP push far right judges and the democrats push centrist judges it means the courts will be center right.

I don't have good answers for most of the cabinet slots.

Warren for VP

Kamala Harris for attorney general

Mayor pete is very talented, but I'm not sure what position would be best for him.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Why are people pushing for Garland on the supreme court.
My thought is it would be a final "fuck you" to McConnell and the Pubs. Plus, it just feels like something Biden would do.

Quote:
Mayor pete is very talented, but I'm not sure what position would be best for him.
I think he'd make an excellent SoS eventually, but first he needs a little more high-level experience. That's why I put him at UN Ambassador.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Supreme Court Justice nominees: First Merrick Garlands (how old is he? Then maybe Sally Yates
Garland was born in 1952, not that old.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
I think the Obamas have no desire re-enter public life, whether as VP for Michelle or SCOTUS Justice for Barack. Merrick Garland would also be a bad choice for SCOTUS. He was picked because he was a liberal leaning moderate who Obama thought could get an up or down vote in the senate. We don't want to risk nominating the Democratic version of David Souter. Hillary would be a terrible pick for any position. The election would become a referendum on her at that point, and that's the last thing we need right now given how 2016 turned out.
The Secy of State would be announced well after the election ends. So, no- the election would NOT become a referendum on her at that point.

And Garland would be a kick in the face to Moscow Mitch.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:48 PM

Moscow Mitch already said he will fill a SC vacancy this year. No surprise there .
Old 05-29-2020, 04:13 PM

I need to do some more research on this, because I've got some holes. Here's my start.

Cabinet
Veep: Elizabeth Warren
State: Hillary Clinton
Treasury:
Defense:
Justice: Sally Yates.
Attorney General: Kamala Harris
Interior:
Agriculture: John Kasich
Commerce:
Labor: Lee Saunders, president of AFSCME (public employee union and largest union in the AFL-CIO).
HHS: Dr. Abdul El-Sayed.
HUD:
Transportation:
Energy:
Education:
VA: Sen. Tammy Duckworth.
Homeland Security:

Cabinet level
Chief of Staff:
Trade Representative:
CIA:
EPA: Gov. Jay Inslee. or Andrew Yang
Small Business Administration: Tom Steyer
Old 05-29-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Not a chance in Hell.

Quote:
Not a chance in Hell.

Quote:
I fully endorse this suggestion

Quote:
Why? Is there some qualification he has for this I don't know about?

Quote:
Can I get an AMEN?

Quote:
Stacey Adams somewhere.
Maybe head of the Civil Rights Division at Justice?

I agree with the idea of Sally Yates as Attorney General, provided the Senate flips. No way she gets through if McConnell retains control.

Romney isn't exactly the worst choice for State.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Not a chance in Hell.

Not a chance in Hell.

Why? Is there some qualification he has for this I don't know about?

Can I get an AMEN?

Romney isn't exactly the worst choice for State.

Why? I mean do you dislike them or just that it's not gonna happen?

Mayor Pete is a great guy, and I want to see him as a top candidate for prez in 2028. He needs seasoning at the national level.

Yes, Mitt being the only republican with a backbone and some ethics would be a nice choice to show GOP some sort of reaching across the aisle.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Yang is very serious. Had the virus hit last year his UBI idea would have really helped him get more votes.
I like Yang for Department of Energy, he's the only one that has a clear focus on nuclear power.

Quote:
That's actually a great idea. So good an idea though, that it'll never happen.
Quote:

Stacey Adams somewhere.
If you don't go the VP route, Scotus : Obama and Obama
Old 05-30-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Why? I mean do you dislike them or just that it's not gonna happen?

Mayor Pete is a great guy, and I want to see him as a top candidate for prez in 2028. He needs seasoning at the national level.

Yes, Mitt being the only republican with a backbone and some ethics would be a nice choice to show GOP some sort of reaching across the aisle.
The Michelle Obama as Veep is pure fantasy. She has been clear she has no interest.

HRC coming back as Secretary of State is very unlikely. Getting Senate approval would never happen with the GOP in control of it. I also think it is a terrible idea. She needs to stay retired from elective politics in my opinion.

I don't have any problem with Mayor Pete but I don't know why Interior. What in his background makes that seem like a good fit? Inslee makes much more sense for that post although I think Mark Udall would be the best choice.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
The Secy of State would be announced well after the election ends. So, no- the election would NOT become a referendum on her at that point.

And Garland would be a kick in the face to Moscow Mitch.
I think the idea for this thread is that Biden would announce all these picks prior to the election in order to gain more votes. As far as Garland being a kick in the teeth to Moscow Mitch, that misses the point. We don’t want to use a SCOTUS pick on getting revenge against a petty man. We should be using it on someone who would do what is right for the country.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:12 AM

Don't recall cabinet picks before an election , other than the VP of course.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:28 AM

This thread's just for shits and giggles. No need to over think.

Who do you think would make a good such & such for Biden...