Old 03-04-2020, 12:49 PM
SDSAB

Bernie trots out his first pro-Obama ad: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/polit...-ad/index.html
Old 03-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Eh, Bernie promised another 'youthquake', and, again, the kids failed to support Bernie in the semi-finals, with only 13% of those aged 18-29 voting yesterday... and, of course, they all didn't vote for Bernie. 538's poll of pre-ST states has Bernie getting about 45% of this youth vote.

So, of course, his supporters are saying Trump can't be beat without the youth vote. But if the youth vote can't be arsed to support Bernie in the semi-finals, why does anyone think they'll support him come November?
Old 03-04-2020, 08:04 PM

Apparently Bernie even admitted that he has failed so far to get out the big youth vote he had hoped to.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 PM
SDSAB

He's not even getting as many votes as he did in 2016.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Eh, Bernie promised another 'youthquake', and, again, the kids failed to support Bernie in the semi-finals, with only 13% of those aged 18-29 voting yesterday... and, of course, they all didn't vote for Bernie. 538's poll of pre-ST states has Bernie getting about 45% of this youth vote.

So, of course, his supporters are saying Trump can't be beat without the youth vote. But if the youth vote can't be arsed to support Bernie in the semi-finals, why does anyone think they'll support him come November?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Apparently Bernie even admitted that he has failed so far to get out the big youth vote he had hoped to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
He's not even getting as many votes as he did in 2016.
What I'm seeing from the pro-Bernie forces on Twitter, when these facts are brought up, is 'everything will be different in the general election.'

When asked why that could be the case, they change the subject.

...Bernie said something to that effect (that it will all be different in November) in last night's interview on The Rachel Maddow Show, but the transcript isn't yet out, and I don't want to misquote him. Here's the link to where it will be available when it comes out:
http://www.msnbc.com/transcripts/rachel-maddow-show
Old 03-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Bernie Bros and sandernistas, you gotta be careful with your elections tactics- they are backfireing:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...gb3yvFgQu7ahU8

Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s campaign exit interview with Rachel Maddow, aired Thursday night, is a clarifying moment in this conversation. In the interview, Warren showed palpable anger with the online Sanders army’s treatment of her and other progressives.

“I think there’s a real problem with online bullying and online nastiness. I’m not just talking about who said mean things; I’m talking about some really ugly stuff that went on,” she said. She expressed particular concerned about threats, citing the publication of phone numbers and home addresses belonging to two women who worked for the Nevada Culinary Union after it produced a fact sheet critical of Sanders’s health care plan.

Warren’s reaction illustrates that these tactics make it at least somewhat harder for Sanders to build allies in the Democratic Party. And this failure of elite backing has real repercussions.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

It's been clear over the past several years that there is a dedicated on-line cohort of progressives who go out of their way to harass or even "doxx" folks who disagree over politics or otherwise don't see the world the way they do. Most of the time it's aimed at conservatives, but I guess anyone can be a target.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
What I'm seeing from the pro-Bernie forces on Twitter, when these facts are brought up, is 'everything will be different in the general election.'

That's been my experience (with supporters I know, not random Twitter users).

"Good luck with Biden when the young people aren't excited!"
"The young people won't show up for Sanders AND he loses all the older people. How is that better?"
"Primaries don't count, things will be different in November!"
"Sanders won't be on the ballot in November because no one is bothering to show up now."
"But primaries don't count"
"..."

How is anyone supposed to take the chance on that? It reminds me of Wimpy's old line: I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today. Make Sanders the candidate now and, come November, the kids will come out... promise!
Old 03-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
That's been my experience (with supporters I know, not random Twitter users).

"Good luck with Biden when the young people aren't excited!"
"The young people won't show up for Sanders AND he loses all the older people. How is that better?"
"Primaries don't count, things will be different in November!"
"Sanders won't be on the ballot in November because no one is bothering to show up now."
"But primaries don't count"
"..."

How is anyone supposed to take the chance on that? It reminds me of Wimpy's old line: I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today. Make Sanders the candidate now and, come November, the kids will come out... promise!
Yeah. It's not a tactic calculated to appeal to people of average-and-above intelligence.

Which may be why the emphasis among many Bernie supporters in recent days has been on tearing down Biden (chiefly with the claims or insinuations that he has some sort of mental deficiency). They know that the "Bernie's the best candidate because he'll bring out new voters; Bernie's the candidate who inspires people to get out and vote" argument has been completely refuted.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:

...Bernie said something to that effect (that it will all be different in November) in last night's interview on The Rachel Maddow Show, but the transcript isn't yet out, and I don't want to misquote him. Here's the link to where it will be available when it comes out:
http://www.msnbc.com/transcripts/rachel-maddow-show

“I haven’t seen those numbers”, pivot to boilerplate
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah. It's not a tactic calculated to appeal to people of average-and-above intelligence.

Which may be why the emphasis among many Bernie supporters in recent days has been on tearing down Biden (chiefly with the claims or insinuations that he has some sort of mental deficiency). They know that the "Bernie's the best candidate because he'll bring out new voters; Bernie's the candidate who inspires people to get out and vote" argument has been completely refuted.
I don't even see that much thought. All I see is them blaming the DNC for being corporate scum, blaming the media for being corporate scum, and making every loss part of the grand conspiracy against Bernie.

Essentially any outcome they do not like is considered illegitimate.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
“I haven’t seen those numbers”, pivot to boilerplate
Yes. All politicians do that sort of thing, of course. But this time it seems particularly annoying, given the fraught-with-danger situation we're in.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:52 PM

You wonder if he really hasn't seen the numbers.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Right now, as a Warren backer, I'm damned tired of Bernistas on Twitter all but demanding my loyalty, going on and on about the positions that Warren and Sanders share and how people like me betray our common cause by even considering Biden.

Funny how they never mention the filibuster, which means that either President Biden or President Sanders would get almost nothing accomplished, because Mitch McConnell and his caucus are a far more effective wall than the one Trump's trying to build. Funny how they never remember how Warren's been talking for a year about how it has to go, but their guy wants to keep it. It's the elephant in the room, but they refuse to see it.

The whole lot of them can go fuck themselves.