Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 PM

My hope is that this ends up being less than I expect, which is much less than some here appear to be thinking is going to be.

But if it does become what I expect, the equal of an extra flu season added on top of a regular one, maybe even an H1N1 year in terms of timing and morbidity/mortality (but NOT excessively hitting younger individuals), then it will play into election politics.

Such an outcome will stress the healthcare system and budget, even just as a consequence of the "worried well" demanding testing (which won't be cheap) for every sore throat or sniffle. Lots of outpatient visits and a good amount of medical debt piling up on a good many Boomers. Insurers will take some costs and be quickly signaling that they will be passing that on in higher premiums.

Long and short of it is, and I say this as no fan of Sanders or MfA, it would be advantage to a Sanders campaign, not so much crowing about the incompetence of Trump, so much providing a sales pitch backdrop for MfA as opposed to the AHA under Trump with his proposed $1 trillion cuts of Medicaid and ACA premium subsidies and his half trillion cut to Medicare payments.

Biden would also be advantaged as the ACA would be covering people better if not for the kneecaps that Team Trump has imposed and inadequate coverage in the face of a moderately bad influenza season sized pandemic would allow an election focus to center more on healthcare, the ACA's success, and building on it with a real public option.

Be prepared for Team Trump to make the argument that tariffs and the trade war with China encouraged many American manufacturers to move away from a dependency of Chinese suppliers and cushioned some of America's economy from the worst of the economic impacts ...
Old 02-28-2020, 05:56 PM

I'm not sure how to square the information in Fortune with that from the CDC, but if Trump's defense is going to be "I TRIED to cut the CDC, but Congress wouldn't let me", that will be an...interesting political strategy. Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
If the Trump administration totally mismanages this (which seems likely so far, considering how few competents in the administration and how many sycophantic clowns) and millions of Americans get sick (no idea how likely this is, even with the likely mismanagement), with thousands dying, then the media will have made this massively clear and it doesn't seem possible that this wouldn't harm the president politically. That would totally swamp any perception of the Democrats "cheering", IMO.

This. Any suggestions to the contrary strike me as desperate, whistling past the graveyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Pointing out how the republicans cut billions in funding for disease control so they could fund tax cuts for the rich that didn't create jobs is something democrats need to hammer home each day.

The gross incompetence, lack of concern for the safety and well being of Americans the republicans showed on this issue is something democrats need to pound home.

And this. (I liked bump's "Baghdad Bob" crack too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Am I rooting for pandemic and recession? No. But if it's going to come anyway, it might just as well come in an election year so that we can restore democracy and the rule of law.

Well said! Again, it was Axelrod who advised Democrats not to waste a crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Nobody here is wishing for an honest-to-goodness pandemic and/or recession. But the Democrats should hammer Trump and the GOP with extreme prejudice over their handling of this.

The fact that this is even up for discussion really points to one of the core weaknesses of the Democratic Party these days. Do you think the Republicans would hesitate for even a second to exploit this potential crisis for all it was worth if it were happening under a Democratic president's watch? Fuck no.

Instead of always worrying about taking the high road, the Democrats need to learn how to play dirty, because that's what it's going to take to defeat Trump.

Right?!? Jesus.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim314 View Post
I don't want a recession, nor do I want a pandemic. The definite human costs of those are worse than any hypothetical political gains.

But, if those things do happen (as seems increasingly likely), the Democrats absolutely should bring it up frequently.
I agree.

The Democrats should bring it up.

Not that it will work. The virus could easily feed a mood of fear feeding Trumpist psychology.

And COVID-19 might undercut Democratic arguments for universal coverage by the GOP plumping for some sort of virus-specific 2020-only deficit-funded free healthcare.

The wild evidence-free speculation of political benefits to mass death, from some other posters, makes zero sense to me.

Last edited by PhillyGuy; 02-28-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
No.

If you drive home and don't kill anyone, does that prove you were shitfaced drunk?

Regards,
Shodan
Do you think it is a good decision to put a man of god in charge of such a possibly looming crisis? Do you think it was a good decision to leave 700 jobs at the CDC unfilled? Is the answer to these questions only knowable based on the outcome?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
No.

If you drive home and don't kill anyone, does that prove you were shitfaced drunk?

Regards,
Shodan
Do you think it is a good decision to put a man of god in charge of such a possibly looming crisis? Do you think it was a good decision to leave 700 jobs at the CDC unfilled? Is the answer to these questions only knowable based on the outcome?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:36 PM

I'm not wishing for it, but if it brings him down, that could be a silver lining.

A coronavirus recession would likely end Trump's presidency
Quote:
...But the plunging stock market, badly spooked by the unpredictable spread and impact of the virus, is suggesting the tailwind might turn into a headwind — and that could mean a one-term Trump presidency. Wall Street banks are already cutting their economic growth forecasts for the first half of the year. Beyond that, they're not so sure, an uncertainty reflected in wildly gyrating markets. Economic predictions about consumer demand and supply-chain disruptions are now also pandemic predictions. JPMorgan just trimmed its second-quarter projection for U.S. GDP growth by a quarter percent to 1.75 percent, but in a report to clients added that "extensive domestic 'community spreading' would prompt a larger downward revision."

Economic forecasts are always tricky business. Now, in addition to the usual mix of jobs numbers, consumer surveys, and corporate earnings reports, economists have to factor the spread of a virus whose transmissibility and lethality remains unclear. Economic consultancy Capital Economics concedes "there is no way our models can incorporate the risk of a widespread coronavirus outbreak in the U.S. which, just like it appears to have done in China, would almost inevitably cause a recession." As it is, Moody's Analytics predicts a 40 percent chance that the virus will grow into a global pandemic that would indeed push the United States and the rest of the global economy into a recession.

An election-year downturn is bad for any incumbent presidential party. There have been three presidential elections since 1960 where the election year saw a recession.

But here's what should really unnerve Republicans: Avoiding an outright recession may not be good enough to save the Trump presidency. Some election analysts blame Al Gore's loss to George W. Bush in 2000 to a mild economic slowdown during the year. Even though economic growth overall was a sizzling 4.1 percent — the fourth consecutive year of 4 percent real GDP growth or higher — growth slipped to just 0.5 percent in the third quarter and 2.5 percent in the fourth. As one analysis put it, "Our best guess, however, is that the slowdown was a major factor in Gore's defeat… the long economic boom that arrived just a little too late to get George Bush re-elected in 1992 seems to have ended just in time to elect his son."

Expect Trump to push the Fed to cut interest rates ASAP and maybe Congress to supply fiscal stimulus. Also expect more efforts by Team Trump to talk up the market.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:12 PM

Trump says

Quote:
"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," Trump said at the White House Thursday as the virus marched across Asia and Europe after US officials said the US should brace for severe disruption to everyday life.
He deserves every single piece of shit that gets thrown his way on this.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Bloomberg makes the call:

"The market is pricing the president’s incompetence"

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/stat...766188032?s=19
Old 02-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Trump calls Coronavirus a "Democrat hoax" in his South Carolina hate rally.

Remember: earlier today Mike Pompeo refused, refused to deny the Coronavirus is a hoax.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1233...895645184?s=19

https://twitter.com/LibsInAmerica/st...710769155?s=19
Old 02-28-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

In this thread I noticed many expecting the Republicans to use that OP sentiment against the Democrats. The Republicans are trying ('How dare you! You guys like a disaster to take place don't you?).

But, it is harder for the Republicans to do when they exude the ignorance and incompetence like their fearless leader...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...uz-coronavirus
Quote:
Ted Cruz tried to mock AOC's scientific knowledge – it didn't end well

Cutting to the heart of the matter with her characteristic bluntness, Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez this week pointed out the absurdity of placing Pence in charge of a potentially looming health crisis.

“Mike Pence literally does not believe in science,” she tweeted on Wednesday. “It is utterly irresponsible to put him in charge of US coronavirus response as the world sits on the cusp of a pandemic. This decision could cost people their lives. Pence’s past decisions already have,” she said.

Ocasio-Cortez reminded people of Pence’s credentials for the job. While he was governor of Indiana, he oversaw an HIV crisis that was so severe that at its peak, 20 new cases of HIV were diagnosed every week.

“As governor, Pence’s science denial contributed to one of the worst HIV outbreaks in Indiana’s history,” she continued. “He is not a medical doctor. He is not a health expert. He is not qualified nor positioned in any way to protect our public health.”

Rushing to the defense of the administration the next day, Ted Cruz jumped into the fray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Cruz
As you are speaking as the oracle of science, tell us, what exactly is a Y chromosome?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOC
Sen. Cruz, while I understand you judge people’s intelligence by the lowest income they’ve had, I hold awards from MIT Lincoln Lab &others for accomplishments in microbiology.

Secondly, I’m surprised you’re asking about chromosomes given that you don’t even believe in evolution.
The aimeless Cruz missile stopped replying then.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:03 PM

Wow, newfound respect for AOC.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Bloomberg makes the call:

"The market is pricing the president’s incompetence"

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/stat...766188032?s=19
WTG, Mike. Ouch, that smarts!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Wow, newfound respect for AOC.

Same! Although I have always found AOC’s appeal much more understandable than Bernie’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Trump calls Coronavirus a "Democrat hoax" in his South Carolina hate rally.

Remember: earlier today Mike Pompeo refused, refused to deny the Coronavirus is a hoax.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1233...895645184?s=19

https://twitter.com/LibsInAmerica/st...710769155?s=19

Despicable and desperate, even by the subterranean far he has set. And he incredibly disingenuously earlier whined that Chuck Schumer was hurting the country by saying the $2.5 billion was insufficient. When Democrats score points against him he suddenly discovers some sort of impulse for us all to come together and rise above politics. But then he can’t even sustain it for one day before he makes extreme and egregious charges against the Democrats.

It’s truly beneath any level I could have ever expected for an American political leader. And we have seen some rough stuff before! (I remember as a kid being appalled by then-Vice President Bush campaigning at a fucking flag factory and calling Mike Dukakis a “card-carrying member of the ACLU”, but that now seems quaint by comparison.)

If there are any swing voters at all, they will now swing. If there aren’t, then I guess nothing matters.

ETA: CNN just said, I should lnote without playing a clip, that Trump also said at this rally that “two weeks ago you would have never expected this outbreak to happen”. If they have a clear soundbite of that, it definitely needs to go in attack ads.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 02-28-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 PM

I just heard a clip on MSNBC of Mick Mulvaney speaking at CPAC. Wow is that guy a scumbag. He and Trump are perfect for each other. “This is not SARS.” Yeah, it’s worse!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
A coronavirus pandemic provides a HUGE opportunity for Democrats
Sure. As long as they don't say the quiet part out loud. If they do, it could easily turn against them.

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-28-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
In this thread I noticed many expecting the Republicans to use that OP sentiment against the Democrats. The Republicans are trying ('How dare you! You guys like a disaster to take place don't you?).

But, it is harder for the Republicans to do when they exude the ignorance and incompetence like their fearless leader...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...uz-coronavirus

The aimeless Cruz missile stopped replying then.
To me, the funniest thing about that story is that apparently “What exactly is a Y chromosome?” is the Republican idea of a really hard science question.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 02-28-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:00 PM

Even in the face of recession and pandemic, I expect this president's "deny, deflect, attack" strategy to work with his base.

And let me note that Pat Buchanan's latest column puts the epidemic down to... globalization and open borders.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
As you are speaking as the oracle of science, tell us, what exactly is a Y chromosome?
What was that even supposed to mean? AOC can't possibly know what a Y chromosome is because she doesn't have one? Men are more equipped to make uninformed medical decisions for the country than women are?
Old 02-29-2020, 12:28 AM

Yeah, I too was wondering where he was going with that. (The fact that he never replied indicates...maybe nowhere? IDK)
Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 AM

On looking around, some were saying it might have been meant as a transphobic comment. I.e., he was hoping to get AOC to reply that a Y chromosome creates a male and then he could zing her for supporting trans rights yet “admitting” that an XY person is male.

Which if that’s what he was going for is all kinds of crazy plus has nothing to do with the subject of Coronavirus.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:07 AM

Some of us skim, so I'm repeating this nugget:

Originally Posted by AOC
Sen. Cruz, while I understand you judge people’s intelligence by the lowest income they’ve had, I hold awards from MIT Lincoln Lab &others for accomplishments in microbiology.
Secondly, I’m surprised you’re asking about chromosomes given that you don’t even believe in evolution..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And since I'm a self-confessed skimmer ...
@ Octopus - Did you ever comment on the cites you were provided in response to request?
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
So Trump eviscerated the CDC? By cutting its budget by how much? Surely you have a cite.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
This is actually politically perilous for the Republicans in another way as well. Not only would massive loss of American life in the wake of these budget cuts be very damaging politically to them beyond any normal level of political peril, the deaths would come disproportionately from their elderly voter base! I definitely would not want to be in their shoes right now.
First, it would appear that the American public isn't very good at holding their elected officials accountable for nuanced policy decisions.

Second, I tend to think the outbreak is more advantageous for Trump because it potentially introduces the chaos necessary to manipulate the 2020 election. Declare certain polling centers as too dangerous to use, force people to use absentee ballots, invalidate those ballots for late registration... there are just so many ways to use the epidemic as a way to manipulate the electoral process. This is exactly the kind of pot-stirring event that he lives to exploit.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:43 AM

Oh yes and let's not forget, starting in August 2020 let's expect Fox to start running earlier footage of immigrant caravans, except this time some of them will be coughing and sneezing.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:42 AM

It's a huge opportunity for Trump, in that opportunity there is a huge opportunity to blame dems that somehow there is a huge opportunity for them, which there is not.

Trump stands to benefit greatly from the virus to the point that one could say it is within his ability and part of his MO that he could have ordered a mission to released this virus in China to gain more power. It gives him so much of what he wants - more power and control, but here are some things that Trump would love to do and this virus is a perfect excuse: blame the media and dems, get more funding for homeland security (which most of the money he got for the virus he put there), control the information released, going further, close the boarders and halt international shipments, invoke martial law, control and censorship of the internet to make it harder for us to get facts from the international community, even kill off more people in blue states who have a higher likelihood of infection then those of red states due to the larger concentrations of people living in close proximity to each other and more international travel - and just in time for the census count.

So this virus is a great benefit for a person that does not believe in democracy and it's ideals, but only in his authoritarian rulership. That fits Trump like a glove.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM

Add to the above (board hiccuped and I could't edit), get people deadly sick during the elections again blue states would most likely get hit hardest, so Trump is re-elected, and perhaps suspend the elections and just go with the electoral collage.

Trump has motivation and presumably means and does not seem hindered by morality to do such a thing and strive for his life's dream.

Last edited by kanicbird; 02-29-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:34 AM

I think Democrats need to be careful not to blow this up too big, yet. If this turns out to be just a blip like every other "pandemic", such as SARS, bird flu, swine flu, the millennium bug, etc. then the Dems could look pretty foolish. Bernie's already got a statement during the last debate that could make him look like a Chicken Little if this all blows over in April.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocracy View Post
I think Democrats need to be careful not to blow this up too big, yet. If this turns out to be just a blip like every other "pandemic", such as SARS, bird flu, swine flu, the millennium bug, etc. then the Dems could look pretty foolish. Bernie's already got a statement during the last debate that could make him look like a Chicken Little if this all blows over in April.
Democracy has turned into a game of poker. The 'pot' is peoples lives.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:58 PM

Tweet from Rachel Maddow @maddow
Quote:
I admit to being stuck on the fact that the President just convened reporters to announce the 1st US coronavirus death, a man in his 50s in Washington State.

The president said "She was a wonderful woman."

This is ridiculous.

Just stop. Stop talking. Let the scientists talk.
(Ninja'd on Clusterfuck thread.)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Democracy has turned into a game of poker. The 'pot' is peoples lives.
The pot is the entire planet. The stakes are that big. What sort of world my kids and maybe someday my grandkids will be having to manage.

When the stakes are that big you better believe you game out all sorts of scenarios that may occur, including very ugly ones, and ones that are not so bad. It can be cold and calculating to consider some of the what ifs but with this pot? It would be negligence to not consider them and how they might impact the practical.

Monocracy's point is well made.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Suspended

The upcoming pandemic benefits Tramp, not any Dem challenger. Watch the White House focus any relief efforts on red states while denying aid to blue states. At that level, it's massive votive suppression. But if / when the crisis spirals out of control with a large portion of the populace infected, that's just a great excuse to declare a State Of Emergency, round up sick dissidents, and cancel the November election.

How about a conspiracy hypothesis? Team Tramp knew of China's biowar lab, encouraged development of CoViD-19, and arranged for its release, precisely as a 2020 voter suppression tool. No, that assumes someone at Team Tramp can think ahead that far. Likely a bad assumption. No, it's just the luck of the draw.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

The same "luck of the draw" affects the "upcoming pandemic". Not only do we not know if the cat is dead or not, we don't even know that its still a cat! Viruses like the current frightener mutate, it may mutate into a minor annoyance, disappear entirely, or ravage global populations.

So, what if Trump is "right"? What if it erases itself, and permits a grateful nation to adore Trump, who turned away the monster? Of course, he has no more control over that than you or I, but I very much doubt that would stop him from saying it, or even believing it! Or suppose Dear Leader attends a national prayer session lead by Archbishop Pence and infections/deaths increase exponentially?

You need not feel guilty about having a preference, it doesn't make any difference anyway....
Old 03-01-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
The upcoming pandemic benefits Tramp, not any Dem challenger. Watch the White House focus any relief efforts on red states while denying aid to blue states. At that level, it's massive votive suppression....
Nitpick: Assuming Ds and Rs are equally affected, suppressing turnout in one state has no effect on elections! (This is an advantage of the electoral college system over popular vote.)

Of course, the GOP can use a health emergency to manipulate the election in other ways: making voting difficult in swing states works for the GOP, especially if blue precincts are specifically targeted (as the GOP has done in past elections).
Old 03-01-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I expect them to be very concerned about high-density urban population centers.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
While we're at it, let's root for a recession too.
We can recover from a recession. We have numerous times in the past.

The same can't necessarily be said about a second Trump (not to mention the spectre of a third Trump administration). I'm fine with a recession if it affects Trump's odds of reelection. Openly rooting for one in fact to hurt his odds. Long term the US will be better off.

I won't say the same about a pandemic, but only because of the lives it could take.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 03-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:50 PM

I think it benefits Democrats in another, important way.

The Democratic candidates and the DNC have made healthcare the signature issue of this election.
It’s an important issue but I think everyone’s been focusing a little too intently on it.

Healthy people sometimes don’t think overly much about their healthcare situation and what they will do if they get sick. But the threat of a pandemic will get them thinking and engaged on the subject.

Of course, if it does end up blowing over without much in the way of consequence, Trump will take a huge victory lap, even if his administration’s response was abysmal.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Here’s something I probably wouldn’t say on Twitter but seems safe enough here. There has already been a death and a stock market crash, and it strikes me as unlikely that this will be the extent of it even if it ends up being much milder than I expect it to be. I was reading in the New York Times that with modern “just in time” inventory management, the supply shocks from shutdowns in Chinese factories are unprecedented and cannot be managed with monetary action, because those operate on the demand side and this is a supply side issue. But even if it is mild in absolute, rational, statistical terms, people will start to be afraid to travel and go out to restaurants, and that will cause demand side problems too, even if they get a tax cut.

So although I don’t believe Trump has managed this well at all, it partly may end up being bad luck for him and I can live with that. He is a dark stain on this country‘s history, and if some bad luck bounces his way, cry me a river.

BTW, Bill Maher was singing this tune Friday night. His outlook has shifted radically from the previous show where he seemed very depressed and expecting a Trump reelection. Now he is kind of taunting the Republican guest that “your boy is not going to escape this one”.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Before you use this crisis to promote Medicare for All, you might want to wait and see how the health systems in Canada, the UK, and other places with single payer do. Canada hasn't really been affected yet, but from what I'm hearing about the NHS, it's already having problems.

When asking people to compare systems, you'd better first make sure the comparison helps your case.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:39 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Before you use this crisis to promote Medicare for All, you might want to wait and see how the health systems in Canada, the UK, and other places with single payer do. Canada hasn't really been affected yet, . . .
Given that Toronto area hospitals are seldom less than 95% occupancy even on good days, this will be interesting.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 03-01-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:50 PM

Even if Democrats aren't cheering for a plague or a recession, that won't stop Trump from claiming that they are. Trump will use this to stoke outrage among his base.

This is how political crises are made.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Even if Democrats aren't cheering for a plague or a recession, that won't stop Trump from claiming that they are. Trump will use this to stoke outrage among his base.

This is how political crises are made.
Gleefully, ghoulish threads like this would make his job easier if they were more widely read.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Gleefully, ghoulish threads like this would make his job easier if they were more widely read.
Looks like Pence must have read it, eh?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
I seriously doubt that Pence would read a blog. He could accidentally read a woman's post. THE HORROR!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:06 PM

Sure, Trump will use this to stoke resentment among his base. But it's not his base we need to concern ourselves with. It's the longtime Republicans who held their nose and voted for him and find he makes them more and more queasy with every passing day, but aren't completely sure they can bring themselves to vote Democratic, especially since their 401(k) has been doing well. (ETA: Had been doing well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post

"Trumpvirus", I like it!

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I prefer 'Captain Trumps' myself, but Trumpvirus isn't bad either.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:12 PM

CHuck todd let pence slide. He should not be able to say things to normalize the poison of using propaganda against medical journalism for advantage. All Todd needed to say was "We have a tradition in this country of public comment. Get off my show if you don't like it." Instead he's the undertaker of democracy.

He let a US official use the term "fake news" without objection too. Pathetic.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I was somehow surprised to realize that, given the amount of projection that happens with the Trump administration, they clearly do root for bad things to happen when Democrats are in power.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
"Trumpvirus", I like it!
Also known as Covfefe-19.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Before you use this crisis to promote Medicare for All, you might want to wait and see how the health systems in Canada, the UK, and other places with single payer do. Canada hasn't really been affected yet, but from what I'm hearing about the NHS, it's already having problems.

When asking people to compare systems, you'd better first make sure the comparison helps your case.
Well, clearly, a profit oriented health care system will naturally expend resources in the most economically sound manner.

Fuzzy thinking liberals will naturally try to test and treat everyone, regardless. But clearly such efforts should be focused on those citizens who's maturity and good sense is reflected in a sound credit rating and a sensible investment portfolio.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 PM

I cosign that snark, to a point--but I'd also note that we don't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We can patch the holes in medical coverage without starting over from scratch. Yes, I know you'd rather have something fresh, shiny, and new--but what about "reuse/recycle"? (I don't think "reduce" applies here so much.)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:21 AM

Oh. My. God. Trump ordered the Coronavirus released from a Chinese bioweapons lab? For, uh, *consults madlibs* voter suppression in blue states?? NO respected scientist is saying shit like this. GTFO.