Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
I honestly do not know whose side you are on.
I was a strong supporter of Pete Buttigieg. My candidate didnít win and thus I moved over to Biden. I have detested Bernie Sanders since way before that unfunny clown decided he wanted to run for President.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I was a strong supporter of Pete Buttigieg. My candidate didnít win and thus I moved over to Biden. I have detested Bernie Sanders since way before that unfunny clown decided he wanted to run for President.
Do you think that continually smacking on Bernie supporters will help bring them behind Biden in the real election?

Because from where I'm sitting, it looks much more likely to help the Trump campaign's divide and conquer strategy.

There'll be plenty of time for all sides to vent and recriminate once Trump is either vanquished or returned.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs McGinty View Post
Do you think that continually smacking on Bernie supporters will help bring them behind Biden in the real election?
I think that Sanders supporters are going to do what they're going to do and those who choose to remain home weren't reachable anyway. If your whole schtick is "XYZ is a human right" and then you decline to vote the primary barrier to XYZ out because someone on the internet called Sanders an "unfunny clown", you were never serious about XYZ in the first place. It was only about attention-seeking via neckbeard arguments about XYZ and trying to inflate your own relevance as a Sanders supporter that everyone better be nice to.

Last edited by Jophiel; 03-11-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I think that Sanders supporters are going to do what they're going to do and those who choose to remain home weren't reachable anyway. If your whole schtick is "XYZ is a human right" and then you decline to vote the primary barrier to XYZ out because someone on the internet called Sanders an "unfunny clown", you were never serious about XYZ in the first place. It was only about attention-seeking via neckbeard arguments about XYZ and trying to inflate your own relevance as a Sanders supporter that everyone better be nice to.
Some might be like this, but some aren't. I think some are gettable - and some are young folks who may or may not vote, but will probably wait until election day and decide based on how they feel that day. I think there are things Biden can do to make them more likely to feel like voting.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Ditto that for the Enlightened Centrists. There is a certain species of online male who revels in the trope of "Kiss my ring or get 4 more years of Trump." Dude, if you're wielding Trump as an extortion weapon, guess what you are.

The good news is I think that, apart from high-profile dilldongs like Max Boot and Michael Tracey, this phenomenon is much, much rarer than the shady Macedonian propaganda farms would have us believe.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Some might be like this, but some aren't. I think some are gettable - and some are young folks who may or may not vote, but will probably wait until election day and decide based on how they feel that day. I think there are things Biden can do to make them more likely to feel like voting.
Sure, but that's more of a campaign issue, not a "everyone else needs to treat them with kid gloves" issue. A good number of these people couldn't be bothered to go out and vote for Sanders; they're in it now just to get jerked off, not because they're actually going to get out in November and vote for Biden.

This doesn't mean we all need to find Sanders supporters and throw rocks at them but, at the same time, acting like it's threatening the election to say you thought Sanders was an "unfunny clown" isn't any way to live.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
You have any examples of prominent Sanders supporters out in the wild expressing that feeling? They are waiting on his veep pick to support Biden?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You have any examples of prominent Sanders supporters out in the wild expressing that feeling? They are waiting on his veep pick to support Biden?
Not prominent supporters (though I haven't looked). A couple of my acquaintances have said they'll vote for Biden if he picks Abrams, and another one said they will if he picks Warren.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-11-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:54 AM

I think iiandyiiii is on to something in that Bernie supporters I think this time really do want to support Biden. But they need some sort of cover, and a young more progressive VP might be just enough to say "OK, I don't like Joe but maybe he'll die and I can get Warren/Abrams/whoever". Someone with a bit more pizzazz than Klobuchar - someone you can pin some hopes and dreams on.

And yes, saying mean things about Bernie is not very helpful at this point. It's sort of kicking a man while he's down (and his supporters are down). Fortunately, Biden was much more kind and positive in his speech last night - hopefully that will continue and we can get united behind the presumptive candidate.

But then again I'm not sure calling anybody an "unfunny clown" (unless it's actually literally a clown that isn't funny) is a particularly helpful way to win an election. That's why rather than focusing on the invective against Trump I would focus more on his incompetence and lack of real accomplishments. I'm not sure calling him names is nearly as effective at pointing out what he's done, not done, or tried to do.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
But then again I'm not sure calling anybody an "unfunny clown" (unless it's actually literally a clown that isn't funny) is a particularly helpful way to win an election. That's why rather than focusing on the invective against Trump I would focus more on his incompetence and lack of real accomplishments.
I think there's some cognitive dissonance with that approach. Maybe he is incompetent and maybe he didn't have the accomplishments he touted, but the people who voted for him still want those things to happen and obviously it's not going to be Biden who does them. What are you gonna say - "Trump didn't give you your wall after all, but Biden will"?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

The vile shitstain is staying in. Just has to continue the grifting and fleecing of his flock. Oh, and also another scorched earth battle to make sure Trump gets re-elected.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The vile shitstain is staying in. Just has to continue the grifting and fleecing of his flock. Oh, and also another scorched earth battle to make sure Trump gets re-elected.
Your hatred for other progressives and liberals doesn't sound healthy... and it's certainly not helpful for trying to defeat the Republicans. Hope you feel better!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Your hatred for other progressives and liberals doesn't sound healthy... and it's certainly not helpful for trying to defeat the Republicans. Hope you feel better!
It's not hatred, but it's outrage, and it's justified.

Bernie Sanders cannot win.

Bernie Sanders can only accomplish one thing by continuing his campaign, and that's tearing down the only viable candidate the Democrats have right now.

You can make all the bullshit justifications and excuses you want, but you know it's bullshit.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM

He gave Biden a gift. His team now has until Sunday to come with answers to all of the "Joe, whatcha gonna do about......." questions.

I can't blame him too much for not getting out yet. According to my math, Sanders needs to get about 57% of the remaining delegates to win while Biden needs just 50%. Unless he catches lightning in a bottle, that math gets harder for him next week at this time and then would be the appropriate time to consider dropping out.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
And yes, saying mean things about Bernie is not very helpful at this point.
Bernie's like the customer who comes into a restaurant at closing time and says he'll only be 10 minutes - and ends up asking about everything on the menu, ordering multiple courses, and asking the waiter to take back each dish because it wasn't cooked quite to his satisfaction. Sanders is not a Democrat and he's overstaying his welcome. He's becoming more and more like a more polished version of Ralph Nader or Jill Stein.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:29 PM

Biden winning a college town in Michigan was very surprising and pretty ominous for the night
Old 03-11-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Eh, I'd be surprised if he's still in a week from today. Not shocked, but surprised.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

Bernie Sanders can only accomplish one thing by continuing his campaign, and that's tearing down the only viable candidate the Democrats have right now.

You can make all the bullshit justifications and excuses you want, but you know it's bullshit.
I disagree, and your mind-reading powers are failing you here, but thanks anyway! It might surprise you to learn that some progressives see things differently than you about the primary, and aren't being dishonest or making "bullshit justifications and excuses".
Old 03-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bernie's like the customer who comes into a restaurant at closing time and says he'll only be 10 minutes - and ends up asking about everything on the menu, ordering multiple courses, and asking the waiter to take back each dish because it wasn't cooked quite to his satisfaction. Sanders is not a Democrat and he's overstaying his welcome. He's becoming more and more like a more polished version of Ralph Nader or Jill Stein.
And as someone who waited tables in Florida, every single one of them was a cranky old man like Sanders. I still remember to this day the asshole who demanded something from the grill after being told it was already shut down for the night.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:59 PM

I'll endorse Josh Marshall's take, that there's no need to try and rush the end of this primary (and indeed, attempts to do so could harm the party's chances):

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/dont-rush-this

If that's behind a paywall for you then here's a snippet: "To be clear, I think the contest is basically over. I think Sanders should end his campaign sooner than later. But the decision has to come from him and grow out of conversations, literal and figurative, with his supporters. It has to come from them. And thereís no huge rush.

Sanders and his core supporters have been at this for five years. Literally less than two weeks ago he seemed close to being the presumptive nominee. The turnabout has to be crushing. Regardless of candidate or ideology, no Democrat can miss the stark stark ideological divide in these election numbers. If youíre under 35 or 40 youíre overwhelmingly likely to support Sanders and just as likely to support Biden if youíre older. Both sides need to act in a way that makes unity in the fall possible."

Also, if you're not a TPM member, you should join! It's the best US political news website by far, and it's not even close, IMO.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I'm no Sanders guy, but I see this from a slightly different perspective. A sizeable group of folks are unsatisfied with the status quo of politics, irregardless which dominant party is in power. The status quo sucks. Trump sucks.
If their thought process is the only way things change is if people choose "US".

If people do not choose "US" then they deserve what they get (4 more years of Trump)

If they view this as a long game. Ie, the Democrats pass him and his policies over, they can reap what they have sowed. I assume they hope that the failed policies of the Democrats and ,well Trump being Trump, should be enough of a push to the gen pop. If it isn't then the next thing will …

The most probable way for an unfractured Democratic Party is to adopt some of his policy goals as their own. Unlikely but that is how I see it.

Last edited by Kearsen1; 03-11-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, it is over. Sanders worked like crazy for Mich and lost badly. It's over. Whoever your favorite was, it's now time to get down to business, get behind Biden and start on Job One- Dump Trump.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Bernie is going to be ripping into Biden harder this Saturday debate than how Warren tore into Bloomberg. It's his last shot.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
He might not be an ACTUAL dyed in the wool Democrat, but he pulls his voters from the same side of the aisle. The bitterness that you type out might be A reason why Trumps stays elected Ö
Think on that.

Last edited by Kearsen1; 03-11-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll endorse Josh Marshall's take, that there's no need to try and rush the end of this primary (and indeed, attempts to do so could harm the party's chances):

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/dont-rush-this

If that's behind a paywall for you then here's a snippet: "To be clear, I think the contest is basically over. I think Sanders should end his campaign sooner than later. But the decision has to come from him and grow out of conversations, literal and figurative, with his supporters. It has to come from them. And thereís no huge rush.

Yes, it has to come from Sanders- Sanders has to graciously concede and get behind Biden. It cant and wont come from the DNC, the DNC can't. But no, Sanders doesn't need to consult his supporters.

But it should be sooner rather than later. The BernieBros are getting desparate and flooding the media with attacks on Biden- their newest one is that Biden is senile .

So, Sanders should concede NOW, and stop the attacks on Biden by his supporters. Otherwise- trump wins.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
He gave Biden a gift. His team now has until Sunday to come with answers to all of the "Joe, whatcha gonna do about......." questions.

I can't blame him too much for not getting out yet. According to my math, Sanders needs to get about 57% of the remaining delegates to win while Biden needs just 50%. Unless he catches lightning in a bottle, that math gets harder for him next week at this time and then would be the appropriate time to consider dropping out.
Your 50% only works if Biden doesnít get a single one of the 164 delegates committed to Bloomberg, etc, or a single one of the 714 Superdelegates. Try the math with a realistic, even Conservative number (bearing in mind that many of the likely superdelegates have already endorsed him).
Old 03-11-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Bernie is going to be ripping into Biden harder this Saturday debate than how Warren tore into Bloomberg. It's his last shot.
Will anyone be watching or care besides die hard Bernie Bros? I donít even plan to watch. Iím taking this weekend as an escape from viruses, crazy markets, and politics
Old 03-11-2020, 01:34 PM

For debates, it never matters who watches -- it matters what moments (and what "narrative") come out of the debate and are replayed again and again in the news and online in the following dates.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For debates, it never matters who watches -- it matters what moments (and what "narrative") come out of the debate and are replayed again and again in the news and online in the following dates.
I think theyíll be crowded out by corona paranoia, especially since Bernie has no chance. Sure, the good shots will be all over social media by the Bernie Bros, but itís too little too late
Old 03-11-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
If he does so, it will be from pure spite and smallness of character. It will only serve to damage him further in contest yet to come.

I hope he doesn't and I believe he won't.

I hope he behaves like a statesman.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:00 PM

I think Bernie gave as close to a concession speech as he could muster this morning. He telegraphed pretty hard. He acknowledged for the first time that the numbers are against him. He gave Biden the nod as the presumptive nominee. He gave Biden the questions that will be on the test for Sunday.

I believe he will be out by the 19th, and no later than the 20th.

Then Obama enthusiastically endorses Biden and away we go on to the general election. I think Obama can help a lot to ease the rift between progressives and moderates within the party.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
If he does so, it will be from pure spite and smallness of character. It will only serve to damage him further in contest yet to come.

I hope he doesn't and I believe he won't.

I hope he behaves like a statesman.
Ha ha ha ha. Bernie Sanders behave like an adult? Nah, ainít gonna happen.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I can understand disagreeing with Bernie on politics, but your personal hatred of the man is really disturbing. He marched for Civil Rights; he's been consistently against war; he's been consistently against bigotry (including being a very early opponent of homophobia); all for decades and decades. Why does it have to be so personal for you? Can't he just be a relatively decent public official with profound differences with you on how best to get progressive policy accomplished?
Old 03-11-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yes, it has to come from Sanders- Sanders has to graciously concede and get behind Biden. It cant and wont come from the DNC, the DNC can't. But no, Sanders doesn't need to consult his supporters.

But it should be sooner rather than later. The BernieBros are getting desparate and flooding the media with attacks on Biden- their newest one is that Biden is senile .

So, Sanders should concede NOW, and stop the attacks on Biden by his supporters. Otherwise- trump wins.
It wouldn't be Bernies fault. Someday the Dems should run a really good candidate..
Old 03-11-2020, 02:31 PM

I'll note (once again) that young people of all races overwhelmingly support Bernie -- and this, hopefully, will be the future of the Democratic party. If these folks think the Democratic party doesn't want them to be a part of it, we put the future of the party in peril. But if the great majority of young people become long-time Democrats, we're in phenomenal shape for the next few decades.

I want all these folks to be reliably Democratic voters, so I think it's very important for the party (including Biden) to reach out to them.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Joe Biden Now Has A Clear Path To Be The Democratic Nominee

Here's the lede:
Quote:
The point is, Sandersís path to the nomination ó barring something very unexpected happening ó is almost nonexistent. -Geoffrey Skelley, FiveThirtyEight
Stick a fork in Bernie.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
It wouldn't be Bernies fault. Someday the Dems should run a really good candidate..
Or maybe you could run yourself.

But yeah, I know: it's easier to weave conspiracy theories about how the Democratic "runs" the candidates; it's never the candidates themselves who actually decide to run or the voters themselves who choose the candidates. It's all a giant simulation and Tom Perez and Hillary Clinton are in the control room.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I think it's equally important to be a gracious winner.

Bernie Sanders is not a bad person. And while I disagree with some of his methods and positions, I've never found myself questioning his motives.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'll note (once again) that young people of all races overwhelmingly support Bernie -- and this, hopefully, will be the future of the Democratic party. If these folks think the Democratic party doesn't want them to be a part of it, we put the future of the party in peril. But if the great majority of young people become long-time Democrats, we're in phenomenal shape for the next few decades.

I want all these folks to be reliably Democratic voters, so I think it's very important for the party (including Biden) to reach out to them.
I want to reach out to them, but I also want them to understand how elections and democracy actually function and work, not how they wish it would work.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Or maybe you could run yourself.

But yeah, I know: it's easier to weave conspiracy theories about how the Democratic "runs" the candidates; it's never the candidates themselves who actually decide to run or the voters themselves who choose the candidates. It's all a giant simulation and Tom Perez and Hillary Clinton are in the control room.

No conspiracy; maybe the voters should have better taste.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

They may also become a bit more grounded in reality. I met so many people in the Pete campaign that were Bernie 2016 but came to realize that Sanders was a useless gasbag promising free shit.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I want to reach out to them, but I also want them to understand how elections and democracy actually function and work, not how they wish it would work.
And believing a conspiracy every time your candidate loses ainít it.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I think it's equally important to be a gracious winner.

Bernie Sanders is not a bad person. And while I disagree with some of his methods and positions, I've never found myself questioning his motives.
I generally haven't either - I didn't even oppose his decision to stay in the race against Clinton because California and several other important states were in the back end of that race, and it was possible that Clinton might falter. I also felt then that Bernie, overcoming all the odds and having hardly any fanfare in the beginning, had earned the right to be heard.

But we've heard the same message over and over again. He's had time to build a grassroots campaign in each state, which he's done. He's had time to build a broader coalition in people who actually believe he can be more than just a gadfly or an insurgent campaigner. He simply has not done that, and it's because he stubbornly assumed he could win the nomination by staying in that lane. He and his supporters lost that bet.

Good intentions or not, I see a lot of risk heading into this debate, and it's not that I necessarily fear Biden having a few senior moments. Biden is potentially damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he calls off the debate, he's ducking Sanders. If he debates and slips up, he's old and headed for a nursing home. And if he gets testy with Sanders, his supporters will say he's a cranky old man with a mean streak.

Bernie should have accepted that his movement is over and bowed out. Instead he's going to drag this on in hopes that he can have some excuse, maybe a close election in Ohio or Florida, or something else - something to hang his hat on to continue marching on even in the face of obvious defeat.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I generally haven't either - I didn't even oppose his decision to stay in the race against Clinton because California and several other important states were in the back end of that race, and it was possible that Clinton might falter. I also felt then that Bernie, overcoming all the odds and having hardly any fanfare in the beginning, had earned the right to be heard.

But we've heard the same message over and over again. He's had time to build a grassroots campaign in each state, which he's done. He's had time to build a broader coalition in people who actually believe he can be more than just a gadfly or an insurgent campaigner. He simply has not done that, and it's because he stubbornly assumed he could win the nomination by staying in that lane. He and his supporters lost that bet.

Good intentions or not, I see a lot of risk heading into this debate, and it's not that I necessarily fear Biden having a few senior moments. Biden is potentially damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he calls off the debate, he's ducking Sanders. If he debates and slips up, he's old and headed for a nursing home. And if he gets testy with Sanders, his supporters will say he's a cranky old man with a mean streak.

Bernie should have accepted that his movement is over and bowed out. Instead he's going to drag this on in hopes that he can have some excuse, maybe a close election in Ohio or Florida, or something else - something to hang his hat on to continue marching on even in the face of obvious defeat.
I have a feeling the debate will be more of a coming together between the two, than an ugly brawl. Neither of them have anything to gain by going to the mats at this point. If they do, the only winner will be Trump, Putin and some Bernie Bros.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:21 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/u...ranscript.html

Above is the transcript of Bernie's statement a few hours ago. IMO that's the perfect tone - pretty much zero negativity against Biden himself, and plenty against Trump (as well as the standard Bernie bogeymen - corporations, big money, etc.). It almost read as a concession speech. If that's how he campaigns going forward, I think it can only make the eventual nominee stronger.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:54 PM

I turned off the live video halfway through when he lapsed into his stump speech. But from the transcript, I can see how it might be a sort of valedictory passing of the baton. I hope that's really where he's going with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post
He might not be an ACTUAL dyed in the wool Democrat, but he pulls his voters from the same side of the aisle.

I would frame it somewhat differently. More like, a generation of young people who would otherwise have become solid Democrats, he has poisoned against the party. Thanks, Bernie!
Old 03-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
I turned off the live video halfway through when he lapsed into his stump speech. But from the transcript, I can see how it might be a sort of valedictory passing of the baton. I hope that's really where he's going with this.

I would frame it somewhat differently. More like, a generation of young people who would otherwise have become solid Democrats, he has poisoned against the party. Thanks, Bernie!
I will never trust Bernie to pass the baton. ĎYou knew I was a snake when you brought me iní reminds me of exactly who Bernie Sanders is.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Obama was a really good candidate.

And what was wrong with Warren, again?
Old 03-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"The Dems" dont run anyone. The candidates choose to run themselves and the voters pick which one they want.

The voters have overwhelmingly picked Joe.

Look if Sanders concedes now, while he has a tiny chance of winning, he can get a lot of concessions.

If he waits until after he can't win- like he did with Hillary- and after his Bernie-bros have infuriated the Biden campaign (just as they infuriated warren)- then he want get anything.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I think Bernie gave as close to a concession speech as he could muster this morning. He telegraphed pretty hard. He acknowledged for the first time that the numbers are against him. He gave Biden the nod as the presumptive nominee. He gave Biden the questions that will be on the test for Sunday.

I believe he will be out by the 19th, and no later than the 20th.
Good.

Look Biden wasnt my #1 choice, but he is the best vs Trump, and we have one job- Dump trump.

As long as Joe picks a younger veep that can take over if necessary, I am behind him all the way 'til November.
Closed Thread