Old 03-10-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

2020 campaign strategies

Imagine Democratic leaders read The Straight Dope Message Board. What advice would you give them regarding their election campaign?

I'll start the ball rolling with this: Attack Trump's stamina, the way he attacked Hillary's. Show him riding a golf cart while everyone else is walking. Show him slurring his speech and making no sense. In short, make him out as a weakling. Maybe he'll try to overcompensate and give himself a stroke.

And: Mock him mercilessly. He hates that. Maybe contact ASCAP and get a license to use Yakety Sax.

And: Inundate the airwaves with examples of his blatant lying, and actually call him a liar.

And: Play up his ties to the Russian mob, and show how his actions as President have benefitted Putin. (OK, I know Trump supporters who have told me that they'd rather be governed by Putin than a Democrat, but maybe some of them can be reached.)

OK, that's enough from me. You?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:23 AM

I agree with all your mock and personal attack (i.e. stamina, weakness, etc.) recommendations, though those should come (relentlessly) from third parties. And vary them up to ensure that people aren't seeing the same ad on TV over and over again.

The "liar" stuff can and should come from the candidate, though, IMO.

Highlight Trump's policy and leadership failures -- how he's mishandling coronovirus; the response to the disasters in Puerto Rico; the constant turnover in the White House (along with contrasting his praise of new personnel with the insults when they inevitably resign); meetings with NK leadership and getting nothing; abandoning the Iran nuclear deal with absolutely zero benefit to the US; the myriad of broken promises; even his failure to build the wall.

All this and more.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

My number one strategy is to use all the former candidates extensively. Booker/Beto/Pete/Amy/Kamala especially. A lot of Democrats didn’t want to vote for an old White man in 2020, but Biden’s the candidate. Use Bloomberg’s money but beg him to stay behind the scenes and not run to the camera constantly.

Warren’s a bit trickier, the other ones above are younger and would be competing in 2024 should Biden serve only one term. Plus Warren is already pretty powerful in the Senate. I still think Warren can be helpful, just don’t see her on the trail as much as the others and I’d think it would be only for the biggest rallies.

With so many surrogates, plus the Clintons and Obamas, there’s plenty of people to rally voters, not just in the Midwest but also the states with critical senate races and the potential red to blue states. Biden won’t win Texas, but having Beto out there daily will make it closer and earn Beto tons of party goodwill, especially if he can help flip the state assembly.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Encourage massive Trimp rallies. Hide the hand sanitizers.

Walk into GOP campaign offices and cough so they shut down.

Release his tax records, naked selfies, and the pee tape.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I've said before that I feel sexual harassment should be a major issue in this campaign. The Democrats should be contrasting the way they responded to the accusations made against Al Franken to the way the Republicans responded to the much more serious accusations made against Donald Trump and Brett Kavanaugh.

1. Sexual harassment is a legitimate issue about a serious problem.

2. It's a current issue on people's minds.

3. There's a clear divide between the Democrats and the Republicans.

4. Trump is personally involved so he can't distance himself from it.

5. It reflects badly on the entire Republican party, so it will help with down ticket elections.

6. It will help swing women voters away from Republicans.

7. Trump is relying on strong support from Christian voters. Using a moral issue like this against him will turn some Christian voters away from him.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 AM

I'd like to see as broad a coalition as possible made up of the Dems who ran in the primary. Kind of an Ocean's 11 team. I'd name my VP as soon as possible and as much of the cabinet as possible. Each proxy would campaign hard in the parts of the country where they have traction and the overall message is "this is the team, we're ready," whereas Trump's cabinet is mostly made up of acting secretaries, conmen, and Nazis, here is a team of competent adults.

I'd try to get Bloomberg to handle the taunting of Trump, while the rest are pounding their base.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:27 AM

Hey Joe, maybe don't go into factories and start arguing with the workers and telling them they're full of shit?
Old 03-12-2020, 08:34 AM

In my opinion running a “let’s return things back to normal” campaign would be an excellent idea.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Hey Joe, maybe don't go into factories and start arguing with the workers and telling them they're full of shit?
Why? That was awesome. Think he offended the delicate autoworkers?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Why? That was awesome. Think he offended the delicate autoworkers?
Because if you want the votes of autoworkers, then you shouldn't piss them off. And it's not just the autoworkers. There are a lot of conservative people who might vote for a Democrat. It's best not to piss them off either.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
In my opinion running a “let’s return things back to normal” campaign would be an excellent idea.
Return to normalcy? It worked a century ago. Right after a pandemic, too. Will we see a rerun? Old wisdom: "History doesn't repeat itself - but it plagiarizes." Let's have a parallel now.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Because if you want the votes of autoworkers, then you shouldn't piss them off. And it's not just the autoworkers. There are a lot of conservative people who might vote for a Democrat. It's best not to piss them off either.
Biden's supposed to be Mr. Friend of the Working Man, Joe Lunchpail, Blue-Collar-Appeal. He goes into a factory to talk to the workers, one of them asks him a simple question about gun rights, he immediately gets combative and snide, and also clearly doesn't understand the specific guns that he's talking about. And believe me, the fact that he has armed bodyguards around him is not lost on these guys.

However any of us may personally feel about the 2nd Amendment, the fact is that people want guns to be able to defend themselves, not just to hunt ducks and deer. I'm going to repeat that: they want guns to defend themselves, not to hunt ducks and deer. If Biden is going to talk about the issue of guns, he needs to be able to address this.

Maybe the individual worker who asked him the question about guns was an NRA member who was already in the bag for Trump and there's nothing Biden could possibly have said to change that. But a bunch of the other guys standing around listening to that exchange - to say nothing of everyone who watched the video - are going to think, "what an asshole!"
Old 03-12-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I've said before that I feel sexual harassment should be a major issue in this campaign. The Democrats should be contrasting the way they responded to the accusations made against Al Franken to the way the Republicans responded to the much more serious accusations made against Donald Trump and Brett Kavanaugh.

1. Sexual harassment is a legitimate issue about a serious problem.

2. It's a current issue on people's minds.

3. There's a clear divide between the Democrats and the Republicans.

4. Trump is personally involved so he can't distance himself from it.

5. It reflects badly on the entire Republican party, so it will help with down ticket elections.

6. It will help swing women voters away from Republicans.

7. Trump is relying on strong support from Christian voters. Using a moral issue like this against him will turn some Christian voters away from him.

This would work if the D's were running Bernie, Warren, Pete, Amy, etc. But with Biden as nominee, the Trump campaign would just roll out the memes of Uncle Joe sniffing people's hair, etc. Not that Trump is better (Access Hollywood tape,) but it would neutralize the D advantage on this topic.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:17 PM

I am quite certain that Trump is going to have women coming forward with creeper stories about Biden, true or not. He's waiting for the general election to deploy this, but I would be absolutely SHOCKED to the core if it didn't happen.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

All coronavirus, all the time.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Law View Post
All coronavirus, all the time.
Dems can talk that. The orange terror can counter them by quarantining / isolating Dem pols and pundits for their own good. See, he cares so much! The basal chant will switch from "Lock-em up!" to "Hospitalize-em!" Putin handles mentally ill dissidents that way. (They've gotta be crazy to oppose him!) His Oval Office puppy can do no less.

A counter-strategy is difficult to devise from a padded cell.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I'll start the ball rolling with this: Attack Trump's stamina, the way he attacked Hillary's. Show him riding a golf cart while everyone else is walking. Show him slurring his speech and making no sense. In short, make him out as a weakling. Maybe he'll try to overcompensate and give himself a stroke.
The problem with this is that Biden and Sanders are both also old men with significant health issues. It's really easy for Trump to counter with 'these old guys are also falling apart' when one of them had a heart attack and the other has had aneurysms. Trump's best strategy to win is to just discourage everyone from voting at all by dragging everyone into the mud with him, since his base will vote for him no matter what and almost no one else will, and this plays right into that.

Quote:
And: Play up his ties to the Russian mob, and show how his actions as President have benefitted Putin. (OK, I know Trump supporters who have told me that they'd rather be governed by Putin than a Democrat, but maybe some of them can be reached.)
The problem with this is that if Biden is the candidate they'll harp on Hunter Biden over and over to make it seem like the Biden family is also deeply mired in Eastern European corruption. This has the extra advantage to them that harping on Hunter Biden seems to push Biden into making ill-advised angry comments, which can be used against him. I expect this line of attack to also backfire if Biden is the nomine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
This would work if the D's were running Bernie, Warren, Pete, Amy, etc. But with Biden as nominee, the Trump campaign would just roll out the memes of Uncle Joe sniffing people's hair, etc. Not that Trump is better (Access Hollywood tape,) but it would neutralize the D advantage on this topic.
Yeah, this is another area where if Biden gets the nomination he completely tanks that line of attack. And like Lamoral said, I'm sure they've got a battery of people ready to trot out creeper stories and accusations against him on camera. It doesn't matter if they're exaggerated or outright lies, combining those stories with footage of him stroking some little girl's hair will almost certainly make this a quagmire - which, again, benefits Trump.

My main advice would be to look REALLY CAREFULLY before embarking on negative ads on points where the candidate is also weak, Trump will be happy to pull anyone into the mud.