Old 03-16-2020, 12:46 PM

Coronavirus will finish Trump's presidency

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...155243205.html

I don’t want a single person to die from this disease, but if Trump loses, any deaths will not have been in vain.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

So, to this point...

McConnell Has a Request for Veteran Federal Judges: Please Quit

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Running out of federal court vacancies to fill, Senate Republicans have been quietly making overtures to sitting Republican-nominated judges who are eligible to retire to urge them to step aside so they can be replaced while the party still holds the Senate and the White House.

Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, who has used his position as majority leader to build a judicial confirmation juggernaut for President Trump over the past three years, has been personally reaching out to judges to sound them out on their plans and assure them that they would have a worthy successor if they gave up their seats soon, according to multiple people with knowledge of his actions.
The odds of elderly judges leaving their high-paying, high-benefit government jobs during a combo global pandemic + Bigly Depression (the bigliest!) approaches 0%.

Point being, for the purposes of this thread, it is highly unlikely McConnell will be making this move if he thought the Republicans were going to have a good chance in November.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-16-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
So, to this point...

McConnell Has a Request for Veteran Federal Judges: Please Quit

The odds of elderly judges leaving their high-paying, high-benefit government jobs during a combo global pandemic + Bigly Depression (the bigliest!) approaches 0%.

Point being, for the purposes of this thread, it is highly unlikely McConnell will be making this move if he thought the Republicans were going to have a good chance in November.
I would like to think that a significant percentage of these judges, even though they were Republican-nominated, are keen enough to be suspicious of McConnell's claims of "worthy" successors. "Oh, sure, I will retire from my lengthy and esteemed career so you can nominate Eric Trump to be my replacement."
Old 03-16-2020, 02:27 PM

"But Judge Ivanka, I *had* to shoplift those Miu Mius. The Jimmy Choos just weren't sparkly enough!"
Old 03-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

If I’m a biased older judge, don’t you think I already know this? McConnell doesn’t realize that for a lot of them, they don’t want to retire, working gives them a reason to wake up in the morning. The same could be said for a lot of other older employees.

There might be some that are politically blind and don’t realize there’s a chance Trump could lose in the fall.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:53 PM

Its hard to see what Trump is going to run on. The two things his supporters point to in terms of accomplishments is a great economy and conservative judges. The corona virus has shattered the economy, and the conservative judges accomplishment is only going to work for those in his base, not for the public at large. My guess is that he will still try to run on the economy by taking credit for it up until February and then saying the Corona-virus wasn't his fault, but that argument has too much subtlety for the average voter.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Trump's supporters are totally insane. Just really turn out the vote and hope to swamp them.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Its hard to see what Trump is going to run on.
The same as he ran on before - schoolyard taunts and insults, made up nonsense and petty grievances, lies and lies and more lies. Only this time he'll have goo-gobs more money to blanket the media.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Its hard to see what Trump is going to run on. The two things his supporters point to in terms of accomplishments is a great economy and conservative judges.
Trump will run on the fact that his crazy base keeps supporting him no matter what he does, and on trying to make 'the other guy' look as bad as he does. I do think the Wall Street collapse is one of the few things that can hurt him with his base - even the most fanatical MAGA racists will think twice about voting for a president who has DOW drop by 1/3, and Americans typically give the full blame/credit for the economy to the president. The absurdly inept handling of Coronavirus might not alienate his base, but will probably strongly motivate people who aren't his base to vote, as it both casts his flaws into sharp relief and isn't something that can easily be glossed over. "He's pissed off our NATO allies" isn't going to get people out of bed (a decent number of Americans would like us to cut back our foreign wars, and others just like the idea of pushing around snotty Eurotrash), but 'he's completely fumbled a major disaster that impacts everyone in the US' has a lot more bite to it. I mean, 9/11 basically delayed sports for a week, it's looking like Coronavirus is going to kill an entire season!
Old 03-16-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
The same as he ran on before - schoolyard taunts and insults, made up nonsense and petty grievances, lies and lies and more lies. Only this time he'll have goo-gobs more money to blanket the media.
Plus, the Russian troll farms are already trotting out the "Biden is mentally incompetent" garbage, that is being re-posted by useful idiots everywhere.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Oooh, that would be a neat campaign ad:

“March Madness was canceled. Why? Donald Trump.”
Old 03-16-2020, 03:51 PM

He built his brand on MAGAt rallies. He's not going to have those to froth up his base this time around, at least for a few months.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Its hard to see what Trump is going to run on. The two things his supporters point to in terms of accomplishments is a great economy and conservative judges. The corona virus has shattered the economy, and the conservative judges accomplishment is only going to work for those in his base, not for the public at large. My guess is that he will still try to run on the economy by taking credit for it up until February and then saying the Corona-virus wasn't his fault, but that argument has too much subtlety for the average voter.
I think "The economy was doing great until Corona virus, which nobody could have predicted or protected against," is probably going to work pretty well. It's a simple enough narrative, and basically true - this would have fucked up our economy under Hillary, too. The details about Trump gutting the CDC and the many ways he's fumbled the response is going to be dismissed as liberal whining and attempting to politicize the outbreak. I doubt this is going to actually affect his re-election chances, unless it causes a significant portion of his base to literally die.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

The amount of effort y'all put into conversations about what will move his base always astounds me.

They're not going to be moved. They're his base.

The goal is to move those on the margins, and those people? He's lost them.

He can talk about the COVID-19 impact on the economy until he's blue in the face, but there's not a single person outside his base... facing a deceased family member... who will forget who was President when this thing erupted, and won't blame that guy.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-16-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Coronavirus will finish Trump’s presidency

No, it won't.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I think "The economy was doing great until Corona virus, which nobody could have predicted or protected against," is probably going to work pretty well. It's a simple enough narrative, and basically true - this would have fucked up our economy under Hillary, too. The details about Trump gutting the CDC and the many ways he's fumbled the response is going to be dismissed as liberal whining and attempting to politicize the outbreak. I doubt this is going to actually affect his re-election chances, unless it causes a significant portion of his base to literally die.

This is perfectly true. Trump's base now has a go to excuse for a shitty economy- It wasn't Trump's fault. The economy is not an issue for his base. I guess the question is: How many of the people that voted for him are loyal members of his base?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yup.

And if the polls aren't good, well, my local town election just got cancelled. It's an emergency, of course.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post

No, it won't.
It, and a DJIA which is already underwater from the Obama years, will.

He's toast. The only thing which can save him is the complete shutting down of elections... and even that won't save him from a hungry, angry mob looking for those responsible.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
This is perfectly true. Trump's base now has a go to excuse for a shitty economy- It wasn't Trump's fault. The economy is not an issue for his base. I guess the question is: How many of the people that voted for him are loyal members of his base?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Yup.

And if the polls aren't good, well, my local town election just got cancelled. It's an emergency, of course.
I mean, when y'all say this, are you assuming that every single one of his 2016 voters are going to vote for him in 2020? Because, frankly, that is never the case, even with popular Presidents.

2016 Trump voters > his base. It's that simple.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-16-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:58 PM

I would expect that covid cases will surge among his base. They have been more misinformed, had science denial pushed on them, and have a history of denial before that. And they are in a news bubble.

Taking precautions is a liberal thing. If the R party has gone blood simple, basically only existing to own libs, they will be at risk in the world.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:02 PM

MMMGA-Make March Madness Great Again.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I would expect that covid cases will surge among his base. They have been more misinformed, had science denial pushed on them, and have a history of denial before that. And they are in a news bubble.
That, and they'll continue to pass it to one another at the massive rallies Trump has said he will continue to hold.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 PM

I don’t think he would have won in any situation. He won by the most razor-thin of margins. His approval rating was about 46% at the time of election, and immediately dropped and was stuck in the 40-43% range (and that was before COVID-19). No president has ever been elected with a rating that low.

Last edited by Jackknifed Juggernaut; 03-16-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
That, and they'll continue to pass it to one another at the massive rallies Trump has said he will continue to hold.
God willing they will be the biggest crowds in campaign history
Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The state of the Dow Jones won't be an issue with his base. That much of his base are going to be unemployed come November is going to be an issue with his base. It's that simple.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
God willing they will be the biggest crowds in campaign history
Sam Harris recently said that this virus appears to have been custom designed to decimate the Trump Cult population. I thought that it was really short sighted of Harris, given that it's a worldwide pandemic that will hurt populations that take no part in the Trump Cult. However, if what you say is true and Trump continues to hold large rallies, I will have to grant Harris his due.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The state of the Dow Jones won't be an issue with his base. That much of his base are going to be unemployed come November is going to be an issue with his base. It's that simple.
I hear ya. But those who make up his base won't blame him for their lack of employment. Those who voted for him for the fuck of it, or because they hate Hillary might do so.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:58 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Aw, c'mon. You know they're going to blame Obama's culling of the public health services in the US for *45's pathetic response. It'll be Obama whom they'll blame. Naver *45.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Guys, even more than making the incorrect argument that all who voted Trump in 2016 somehow constitutes his base, can we stop publicly wishing death on large swaths of people?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Guys, even more than making the incorrect argument that all who voted Trump in 2016 somehow constitutes his base, can we stop publicly wishing death on large swaths of people?
Did Darwin wish death on anyone?

I think it's too far for Sam Harris btw. He's a professional.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Trump will never be president.

The Mueller Report will finish Trump's presidency.

The impeachment will finish Trump's presidency.

The Coronavirus will finish Trump’s presidency.

You know what's really going to finish Trump's presidency? 2024.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:57 PM

You can't lie your way out of an economic collapse and daddy is long dead. Trump is toast.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Trump will never be president.

The Mueller Report will finish Trump's presidency.

The impeachment will finish Trump's presidency.

The Coronavirus will finish Trump’s presidency.

You know what's really going to finish Trump's presidency? 2024.
You hope.

Why would his base give a shit about the Dow? They don't own stock. I am afraid they will suffer unduly from Covid though. So will all red-staters since their governors are still in denial and anti-science.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I think "The economy was doing great until Corona virus, which nobody could have predicted or protected against," is probably going to work pretty well. It's a simple enough narrative, and basically true - this would have fucked up our economy under Hillary, too.
This will be the narrative concerning the economy if there hasn't been significant recovery by November. Your disagreement with what has happened with the CDC will just be background noise.

And if the virus is still a thing come the election it will suppress all voter turnout equally. It's not magically going to target Republican voters in a way that the Democrats with their morally superior woke immune systems will feel safe ignoring.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Did anyone else just hear a dry cough?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:40 PM

We can certainly hope for a good case for all of the administration. They should survive and be chastened and wiser.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 PM

If there's one thing that's going to hurt him with his base, it's the appearance of weakness during a crisis. This Politico article touches on that:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ovement-130831

Quote:
Trump’s supporters elected him because they considered him a “wartime leader” who could fight against the swamp and the elites, so they expect the same against a truly invisible threat, said War Room host and former Breitbart editor Raheem Kassam. “If, for a second, people think that he doesn't have that strength, or he doesn't have that fortitude, then it will become a problem,” he said.
Granted, at this point I think most of Trump's followers are too cultish in their devotion to not follow him over the cliff. But this may well open a few people's eyes to the fact that the guy was never anything more than bluster, and that he's in way over his head.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:06 PM

His approval on fivethirtyeight is holding steady at 42.5%, there is nothing that will convince his base that he’s incompetent.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:18 PM

Video emerges showing Trump talking about cutting pandemic team in 2018, despite saying last week 'I didn't know about it'

Quote:
Mr Trump said of the pandemic team that “some of the people we’ve cut they haven’t been used for many, many years and if we ever need them we can get them very quickly and rather then spending the money”.

“I’m a business person, I don’t like having thousands of people around when you don’t need them,” he added.
Damn.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:11 PM

I'm sure he doesn't believe in fire extinguishers either.

COVID will not take Trump down. His supporters voted for him in the first place.

Decent people that go to the polls to vote will.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

This.

When he finally visited the CDC, one of the people there suggested large gatherings needed to be camcelled, such as his rallies. In his egotistical superiority, he said something to the effect that his loyal followers wouldn't let a little old coronavirus prevent them from attending a rally where they could worship him.

It was a very bad joke that fell flat.

Let them gather! Just make sure you have some coughing, sneezing, feverish folk planted amongst the masses.

~VOW
Old 03-16-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
His approval on fivethirtyeight is holding steady at 42.5%, there is nothing that will convince his base that he’s incompetent.
If you also look on FiveThirtyEight and check out the state polls in a Trump/Biden matchup you will find Biden leading in polls in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio (!), North Carolina (!!!) and, of all places Arizona (!!!!!) If you go to 270toWin and start with the states Hillary won you will quickly realize there are a variety of combinations of those states that will result in DJT losing in November.

Yeah, I know we are months away from Election Day but as Covid-19 continues to spread, as more people get sick and as others lose work, all while the economy plunges into recession...I don't see how DJT or the GOP comes out of this in good shape.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
You hope.

Why would his base give a shit about the Dow? They don't own stock. I am afraid they will suffer unduly from Covid though. So will all red-staters since their governors are still in denial and anti-science.
Trump promised that the good jobs would come back from China. By November the virus will be a memory - but if there is still high unemployment, the Trump supporters without a pot to piss in will either vote for good old Joe - one of them - or stay home.
The Republicans will try to blame everyone but him, but the bottom line will be he didn't deliver.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:48 PM

Didn't happen, fake news lalalalalalala I can't hear you!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I'm sure he doesn't believe in fire extinguishers either.

COVID will not take Trump down. His supporters voted for him in the first place.

Decent people that go to the polls to vote will.
IF they are permitted to vote.
IF their votes are counted.
IF the Electoral College doesn't fuck us over again.

The five ways Republicans will crack down on voting rights in 2020
Quote:
Intimidation of minority voters
We’re likely to see more abusive use of state power to intimidate and criminalize Asian Americans, African Americans and Hispanics for voting or registering minorities to vote. Georgia, in fact, has been notorious in this regard. And continues to be so.

In Texas, meanwhile, acting secretary of state David Whitley announced in January 2019 that he had a list of 95,000 non-citizens (immigrants) who were registered to vote in the state. Worse yet, he claimed, 58,000 of them had already cast a ballot in an election. He quickly turned over the names of these apparent miscreants to Texas’ attorney general to pursue criminal prosecution.

Whitley’s claim was, in the end, a lie. ...
Curbing voter registration
Another tactic, which Tennessee tried after 2018, is to criminalize voter registration drives. Initially, it would seem that a state ranked at the very bottom in the nation in voter turnout and close to the bottom in those registered to vote would try to improve their citizens’ participation in democracy. Instead, as the New York Times reported, when “tens of thousands of new black and Latino voters were registered in Tennessee in the run-up to the 2018 midterm elections” the Republican-dominated legislature complained that many of the registration forms were incomplete and that the only viable solution was to hold those who held these voter registration drives criminally and financially accountable. Although a judge has struck down the law, the threat of what Tennessee Republicans are willing to do hangs there.
Felon disenfranchisement
Florida has also tried to stem the tide of new voters coming to the polls. After a citizen-led ballot initiative passed to restore voting rights to 1.4 million felons who had served their sentences, Republicans began searching for some way to neutralize the effect. Given that more than 20% of all African American adults were disenfranchised in Florida because of a felony conviction, and that the overwhelming majority of blacks vote for Democrats, the Republicans added a rider to “clarify” that a completed sentence required paying all of the court fines, fees, and penalties accrued during the trial and incarceration before the returning citizens’ voting rights would be restored. No matter how many ways the GOP tried to dress this up, this was a poll tax. It made access to the ballot box solely dependent upon the ability to pay.

A federal judge has temporarily blocked the Florida law. But, he left enough room in his decision that the legislature could tweak, tweak, tweak until it has sowed the kind of confusion about eligibility that depresses voter turnout.
Election security issues
While Florida reached back to 19th-century Jim Crow to try to institute a poll tax, other states like Georgia are inviting full-fledged 21st-century hacking to tilt elections. There is already the 127,000 missing votes in the 2018 lieutenant-governor’s race. That was so mysterious that experts, but not Georgia’s election officials, tracked the discrepancy down to predominantly black precincts on election day. The missing votes did not come from white Democratic-leaning precincts or black precincts where voters used absentee ballots or early voting. The discrepancy happened only to those in predominantly black precincts, who used the machines on election day. Their votes just disappeared.
Partisan courthouses
The final, and overarching ominous sign is Senate Republicans’ determination to pack the federal courts with judges, more of whom than ever before have been rated “unqualified” by the American Bar Association and whose only expertise is hostility to civil rights, including the right to vote. As Dahlia Lithwick wrote, this is a “dangerous game of ‘How Many More Judges Can They Ram Through Before Democracy Breaks?’”

So far, the federal courts have beat back the most egregious voter suppression tactics, like Tennessee’s voter registration law, but if the Republicans can hold on to the Senate after 2020, the federal judiciary will hit a tipping point that will eviscerate what’s left of this democracy.

We’ve been here before. After the civil war, the supreme court gutted the constitutional amendments defining citizenship, due process, and the right to vote. It took more than 100 years, numerous legal battles, and an epic civil rights movement to recover from that debacle.
(My indents)

Voting is necessary but not sufficient.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:33 AM

Trump is going to run on lies and blaming everyone but himself. And a lot of (mainly) old, white Americans are going to think like this:

"I don't really think anyone could have done better on the Coronavirus, and it's important we stop the Democrats from (pick from list)
  • killing babies
  • taking guns
  • doing socialist
  • letting mexicans in
  • hating god
  • govern

Also, Trump (pick from list):
  • Will bring our troops home
  • Keep our military strong
  • Put America First
  • Put our businesses first
  • Piss off the libs
"

He could lose, but I wouldn't put my life savings on any outcome, even with corona.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post

No, it won't.
Damn good argument.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:56 AM

Not sure where to post this... don't want to start yet another CV thread...

Poll: As Coronavirus Spreads, Fewer Americans See Pandemic As A Real Threat
March 17, 20205:01 AM ET

Quote:
In February, a little more than a quarter of U.S. adults believed the coronavirus was being blown out of proportion. Now, that number has risen to nearly 40% of respondents.

Pollsters found that both shifts are largely driven by changes in opinion by Republicans. For instance, 72% of Republicans saw the coronavirus as a real threat in early February, but that figure has now plummeted to 40% of Republicans now believing the deadly virus is a serious menace.

And a majority of Republicans — 54% — now say the response to the coronavirus is overblown, a significant jump from last month, when about 23% of Republicans held that view.

Fewer independents, too, see the coronavirus as a real threat. Fifty percent of them view it as such now, compared with 64% of independents last month who said the virus was legitimately threatening.

Democrats remained the most unchanged on this question. An increasing number of them — 76% — now say the danger of the coronavirus is real, up from 70% last month.
My bold.

WTF?? maybe it's too late to change their minds, even though The Donald has decided now that CV is "the enemy." They really ARE that stupid, I guess.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:20 AM

People said the same thing about his response to Hurricane Maria. Sorry about the double post.

You have to remember that even after all the bad Trump has done, his approval rating still hasn't dropped below 40%.

Last edited by CastletonSnob; 03-17-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:21 AM

People said the same thing about his response to Hurricane Maria.