Old 03-20-2020, 05:42 PM

Voters being manipulated has to do wtih money in politics.

Otherwise why are they spending all that money?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Bloomberg needs to start spending his millions on ads showing, on a fucking loop, Trump saying things like "It's going to be just fine. We have it totally under control," as well as a photo of this Tweet.

On a loop. On prime time TV. On social media. Don't let this fucker gaslight this shit away.
One-minute video that fits your criteria:

Quote:
Why did President Trump Lie about the COVID-19 Crisis?
https://youtu.be/JxG241bExqY
Old 03-20-2020, 06:56 PM

On the Hacks on Tap podcast, they said David Plouffe is heading a super-PAC that is running such ads. David Axelrod actually is a bit at odds with his old partner, opining that he thinks it could come across poorly to run partisan ads at this time. I respect both of them a lot, and working together they ran an amazing presidential campaign, so I'm unsure who's right.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
On the Hacks on Tap podcast, they said David Plouffe is heading a super-PAC that is running such ads. David Axelrod actually is a bit at odds with his old partner, opining that he thinks it could come across poorly to run partisan ads at this time. I respect both of them a lot, and working together they ran an amazing presidential campaign, so I'm unsure who's right.
That's a fair question. My sense is that Trump's fans would protest at any time; and non-fans would see a critique of his handling of the pandemic as 100% fair and even useful. So far, so obvious.

With regard to fence-sitters-who-vote, a lot would depend on the tone of the ads. I thought the one-minute Rule-of-Law one came down on the right side of not-snarky and purely factual---which would have the best chance of striking fence sitters as "fair." There's no commentary---no slant or spin. It's just Trump's own words + accurate statistics.

That type of thing would be the best direction for Plouffe's efforts, I think.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:53 PM

You'd think "Trump's own words" would make the best ads. Incl. all of his purely factual gaffes, such as the numerous errors in geography.

You'd think.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:34 AM

You’d think. But you’d also think he never would have had a chance to become president to begin with. The fact that we even have to think about how to defeat him for reelection is a very sad commentary on a large swath of the American population.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
This is more effective than ipecac for inducing vomiting.
Then you've never had ipecac. Nothing will make you puke faster. You have time enough to think it tastes pretty gooBWAAAAA, your innards turn inside out.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:38 AM

I'm reposting this from another thread, hoping to give it a bit more traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I
Saw Pence speaking the other day, away from Trump and in charge of the room. That guy is repulsive in his many of his anti-human views but damned if he didn't sound competent addressing whatever he was talking about. Sure, he was spinning it this way and that to paint the best picture possible for the administration and himself but that's politics as usual. He didn't say anything earth-shaking or even especially important, but he sounded competent.
Okay, I'm way overthinking this, but humor me, or preferably, slap me upside the head and tell me this could never happen.

What if trump starts foaming at the mouth, collapses at the podium, and has to be carried away, permanently incapacitated? Pence takes over. He's no intellectual giant, no Churchill, no star, but he looks, acts, and talks like a normal person. Let's say he listens to experts, puts some things in place, and tries to get a handle on this crisis like a normal person of average intelligence would. He becomes not wildly popular, but MILDLY popular.

Here's the question: would that normalcy be enough to get him elected president in November?

Assuming the Pubbies nominated him, which they might if the answer to my question is even remotely yes. Tell me this can't happen.
A couple of people said yes, they thought this could happen, that Pence's inoffensively bland appearance makes him a welcome contrast to DJT, to which I replied:
Quote:
Damn.

It occurs to me that Mitch may figure this out very soon and take behind-the-scenes steps to remove trump so that everyone can get used to President Pence in time to elect him for real in November. They don't have time to groom a new candidate, and I don't see how trump can physically last for eight more months.

Damn.
Could it happen? Four-eight more years of a Republican administration?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 03-22-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
A couple of people said yes, they thought this could happen, that Pence's inoffensively bland appearance makes him a welcome contrast to DJT, to which I replied: Could it happen? Four-eight more years of a Republican administration?
Yes, it could happen. I've said already that part of Biden's appeal over Bernie is that people are tired of being yelled at. They are tired of all the drama and hysterical behavior.

So remove Trump from the equation and let two relatively calm, grandpa-like figures run against each other and yes, Pence could get elected.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
Yes, it could happen. I've said already that part of Biden's appeal over Bernie is that people are tired of being yelled at. They are tired of all the drama and hysterical behavior.

So remove Trump from the equation and let two relatively calm, grandpa-like figures run against each other and yes, Pence could get elected.
I think the drama and hysteria are a significant part of Trump's "appeal", for lack of a better word. From a policy standpoint Pence would be similar (probably less overtly racist and xenophobic) but would totally lack the ability to rally the base. I think he'd get crushed by Biden.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:43 PM

TV says Rand Paul has coronavirus.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
He will certainly uphold his libertarian principles and refuse any help funded in any way by the government.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:53 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
You mean coronavirus has Rand Paul.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Even better - he was the only Senator to vote against the recent coronavirus funding bill.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:38 PM

If he infected enough Republicans, do Democrats end up with a Senate majority for votes?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

And it is reported that Rand Paul did not social distance nor self quarantine while waiting for his test results
Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I think the drama and hysteria are a significant part of Trump's "appeal", for lack of a better word. From a policy standpoint Pence would be similar (probably less overtly racist and xenophobic) but would totally lack the ability to rally the base. I think he'd get crushed by Biden.
This is what I think, too. Plus Pence brings a substantial amount of his own baggage. His views on women alone are enough to get most of us out to the polls to vote, "Oh, HELL no."
Old 03-22-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Then you've never had ipecac. Nothing will make you puke faster. You have time enough to think it tastes pretty gooBWAAAAA, your innards turn inside out.
Obligatory "Family Guy" clip:

https://youtu.be/jHUMaJphBdE
Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
He will certainly uphold his libertarian principles and refuse any help funded in any way by the government.
The mere fact that he got tested while health care workers often cannot kind of flies in the face of some of his libertarian principles.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm reposting this from another thread, hoping to give it a bit more traction.

A couple of people said yes, they thought this could happen, that Pence's inoffensively bland appearance makes him a welcome contrast to DJT, to which I replied: Could it happen? Four-eight more years of a Republican administration?
I'm extremely surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

My thoughts, after Trump won the election, was that there was no way that the Republican leadership would abide this Bull in a Cina Shop, and would swiftly find some way to oust him on a technicality, leaving the reasonable-sounding Pence in charge. I am amazed and appalled that they have followed Trump so long on his chaotic arc.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:55 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
The mere fact that he got tested while health care workers often cannot kind of flies in the face of some of his libertarian principles.
That's cute. You think he has principles.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That's cute. You think he has principles.
I think he is abiding by Libertarian principles. The principle that underlies Libertarian beliefs is 'I'm looking out for numero uno!' Rand could get the test. If other people want the test, they should have made better choices and should take responsibility for getting their own tests.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:00 AM

Trump is like a cockroach. I fear he'll keep coming back.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 AM

Is there no limit to the man's stupidity?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no

Trump signals growing weariness with ‘social distancing’ and other steps advocated by health officials
WaPo article NOT paywalled. COVID articles accessible to all without subscription.
Quote:
President Trump is signaling interest in scaling back “social distancing” and other steps promoted by health officials to contain the novel coronavirus as a growing number of conservatives argue that impact on the U.S. economy has become too severe.

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” Trump said in a late-night tweet Sunday written in capital letters. “AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!”

The White House has promoted a 15-day period — initiated March 16 and set to expire later this month — to “slow the spread” of the deadly virus that includes following directions of state and local authorities that have resulted in shuttered schools, restaurants and other businesses.

Trump’s tweet appeared to reflect impatience with the economic toll of such moves, and a series of retweets by the president early Monday added to doubts about whether he is committed to staying the course beyond March if necessary.
Tweeting in ALL CAPS-- sign of hysteria?
Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 AM

So in other words: “I WANNA PLAY GOLF!!”
Old 03-23-2020, 11:13 AM

For pity's sake, someone install a putting green on the White House lawn!
Old 03-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
For pity's sake, someone install a putting green on the White House lawn!
Will He use a golf cart?
Old 03-23-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Is there no limit to the man's stupidity?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no

Trump signals growing weariness with ‘social distancing’ and other steps advocated by health officials
WaPo article NOT paywalled. COVID articles accessible to all without subscription.
Tweeting in ALL CAPS-- sign of hysteria?
The new talking point is that we have to be willing to make tradeoffs to make sure the economy is OK. Those "trade offs" are human lives. Now, it's perfectly acceptable to have an honest discussion about what the right mix of saving lives vs tanking the economy is, but I'm old enough to remember how opposed to "Death Panels" Republicans used to be.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
The new talking point is that we have to be willing to make tradeoffs to make sure the economy is OK. Those "trade offs" are human lives. Now, it's perfectly acceptable to have an honest discussion about what the right mix of saving lives vs tanking the economy is, but I'm old enough to remember how opposed to "Death Panels" Republicans used to be.
Not to mention that a more serious epidemic will ultimately hurt the economy more than flattening the curve over several months. Think this is disruptive? Wait til you see what mass graves and food riots do to the Dow!
Old 03-23-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No, no... it's just Death Panels run by Democrats that they were against. If they're run by Republicans, perfectly fine!
Old 03-23-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

"I need an abortion, so I can save my life."

GOP: "FUCK YOU. And don't you dare think you're getting any government handouts, bitch."

"I need 2,000,000 to die so I can save my airline."

GOP: "How can we help?"
Old 03-23-2020, 05:20 PM

Apparently taking medical advice from Donald Trump isn't a good idea. Who knew?

"A man has died and his wife is under critical care after the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate," one of the anti-malaria drugs that President Trump has mentioned in recent days, according to Banner Health, the hospital system that treated both patients."
Old 03-23-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Apparently taking medical advice from Donald Trump isn't a good idea. Who knew?

"A man has died and his wife is under critical care after the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate," one of the anti-malaria drugs that President Trump has mentioned in recent days, according to Banner Health, the hospital system that treated both patients."
Trump is 100% responsible for this, and in a good and just world would spend the rest of his life in jail.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
One-minute video that fits your criteria:

https://youtu.be/JxG241bExqY

Wow, that's a good ad. It was made by Republicans, eh? Weird. I wonder how the producers of the ad voted in the Tump/Hillary matchup. I wonder how they'll vote in the trump/(Biden?) matchup.
But good ad.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:23 PM

Most of them have said they will vote Biden if there is no other option besides Trump. These are Republicans like George Conway, Rick Wilson and Bill Kristol.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
A tweet today from conservative-religion group First Things:

Quote:
There is a demonic side to the sentimentalism of saving lives at any cost.
Say “No” to Death’s Dominion | R. R. Reno
We must reject the specious moralism that places fear of death at the center of life.
firstthings.com
3:39 PM · Mar 23, 2020·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/firstthingsmag/s...74110035214338

This is indeed the new direction: how can you be so sentimental--or is it that you're demonic?--as to believe that saving the lives of old or disabled people is a good thing????

The tweet got ratioed, of course (~100 likes and ~1000 replies). But it's a sign of the right's new messaging.

RawStory has:

Quote:
Christian journal claims government has forced the Church to worship ‘the false god of saving lives
Published 2 hours ago on March 23, 2020
[First Things editor R.R. Reno said] “At the press conference on Friday announcing the New York shutdown, Governor Andrew Cuomo said, ‘I want to be able to say to the people of New York — I did everything we could do. And if everything we do saves just one life, I’ll be happy,'” wrote Reno. “This statement reflects a disastrous sentimentalism. Everything for the sake of physical life? What about justice, beauty, and honor? There are many things more precious than life. ..."
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/chr...-saving-lives/

I'm waiting for the Star Trek dialog to be pressed into service: "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". I suspect that's inevitable.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:30 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3f0_story.html

Quote:
He is worried about the impact of soaring unemployment numbers and severe economic contraction on his 2020 reelection bid, and fielded phone calls for much of the weekend from alarmed business leaders. He remains fixated on the plummeting stock market, is chafing at the idea of the country remaining closed until the summer and growing tired of talking only about the coronavirus, one person said.

I can see it now, an even worse patchwork of: this state is under quarantine, that one isn't, except for one county, and the west side of that city... Talk about the "politics of coronavirus"! Republicans following their messiah and taking no precautions, Democrats following the CDC and other health experts and keeping social distancing going as long as necessary (if they can). What will the death toll look like in the end?

The sad thing is, many, many people don't have the luxury of keeping themselves safe. If there isn't a mandate that businesses remain closed then their owners will open them. If they are open, they will want their employees to show up, or they will fire them and get new employees. The working poor can't afford to place principles or safety over rent and food.

He obviously cares much more about businesses and the stock market than he does about the lives of his constituents. He won't even invoke his executive powers to get PPE and ventilators to hospitals, and be sure does love his executive powers!

Quote:
Why? Because corporate CEOs don’t like the idea, and the president is more concerned with keeping big business happy than keeping Americans alive.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...production-act
Old 03-23-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned in another thread, Cuomo is apparently getting a little uncomfortable as well: https://twitter.com/AntPascaleNY1/st...891576321?s=20

I heard that the Congressional debate over the stimulus is devolving to near shouting matches. I don’t doubt everyone in the federal government is under a lot of pressure, direct and indirect. This is a hugely complex situation on a national scale.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 PM

Conventional wisdom is that Trump needs the economy to get back on track or else he loses the election. However, I think that ship has already sailed and there has been too much damage inflicted even if everything went back to normal tomorrow. Also, if the country gets three-quarters of the way through the first quarantine and then gives up the rate of infection can only go up. But Trump has to make a hail Mary play hinging on the economy because if he loses he's going to be catching COVID-19 from Harvey Weinstein in their shared cell.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

The economy is already fucked thru the election. Even if the infection rate drops to zero tomorrow, the impact on the economy and the Dow are not in trumps favor.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
At this rate, the next president will be Randall Flagg. See you in Boulder.
Sweet. If you're coming from the east, swing by Kentucky. I promise not to be Harold Lauder.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
So in other words: “I WANNA PLAY GOLF!!”
When you're in a funk, stop golfing!
He thinks he is hitting the virus with a club when he is only spreading it further.
When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
Mark Twain
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 AM

Wasn't Michael Avenatti supposed to finish Trump's presidency?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom lamb View Post
Wasn't Michael Avenatti supposed to finish Trump's presidency?
Only in conservative conspiracy theories. He was way, way, way bigger in that set than with anybody on the left.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:24 AM

I agree this all could well be similar to how the Iranian hostage crisis ended Carter.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
I can see it now, an even worse patchwork of: this state is under quarantine, that one isn't, except for one county, and the west side of that city... Talk about the "politics of coronavirus"! Republicans following their messiah and taking no precautions, Democrats following the CDC and other health experts and keeping social distancing going as long as necessary (if they can). What will the death toll look like in the end?]
One nightmarish scenario: State 1 is adhering to strict shelter-at-home; neighboring State 2 loosens restrictions and has most businesses open. State 1 closes its border with State 2, State 2 businesses can't ship their goods through State 1 ...

If State 1 is critical to commerce (California, Illinois, etc.) this could get ugly.

Last edited by Akaj; 03-24-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Only in conservative conspiracy theories. He was way, way, way bigger in that set than with anybody on the left.
Agreed. This lefty found Avenatti to be a self-aggrandizing narcissist in much the same manner as Trump. I was very happy when he exited the limelight.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

... and what an exit!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:25 PM

You know, the more I think about it, the more it makes no sense for Trump to say he plans to lift restrictions and get everyone back to work. Trump has placed no restrictions, save for closing borders to foreign travelers. Governors have placed restrictions. Mayors have placed restrictions. CDC and state health departments have issued guidelines. Businesses have voluntarily closed, or been closed by state and local officials, or remained open. Schools have been closed by state and local officials. Sports teams voluntarily ended their seasons. What can he reopen? The borders? I can't think of anything else closed by presidential decree. He hasn't been leading from the beginning, so I seriously hope no one follows him now that he's trying to lead us all off a cliff.