Voting Trump all along 15 6.88%
Voting Trump as your Dem choice lost 1 0.46%
Voting 3rd Party or Staying home as don't like Trump & Biden 14 6.42%
Not Voting/Apathetic/Not eligible but want to vote here 5 2.29%
Undecided 2 0.92%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2020, 03:20 PM

A Poll on Biden

7 categories should fit everyone in this case. Pretty simple Poll.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:02 PM

Followup question, how far down the list was Biden for you?
It appears he was about 7th for me. Sanders, Warren, Mayor Pete, Harris, Gillibrand & Bloomberg were all ahead of him.

Here is the full list I think:
Sanders, Gabbard, Warren, Bloomberg, Klobuchar,
Buttigieg, Steyer, Patrick, Yang, Bennet,
Delaney, Booker, Williamson, Castro, Harris,
Bullock, Sestak, Messam, OíRourke, Ryan,
de Blasio, Gillibrand, Moulton, Inslee, Hickenlooper,
Swalwell, Ojeda
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 PM

I was going to say a how happy are you with Biden would have been as well (I'm happy to vote for him vs. I'm resigning myself and voting for him). How far on the list is good too.

He was 3rd on the list for me: Warren, Booker, Biden, Harris.... then Klobuchar, Sanders, Buttigieg (I didn't consider the others seriously at all)

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 04-16-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:18 PM

Voted third party in 2016, will do again in 2020. My mind was made up on that years ago, Biden or no Biden.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Biden was number two for me, after Warren.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Biden was in my second or third tier. I'm pretty left (news at eleven), so of course I was hoping for Warren/Sanders. Failing them, I'd have preferred Harris or Yang or Klobuchar or Booker or Gillibrand. Failing them I would've preferred Biden or Hickenlooper or one of that crowd. Then way down further is Bloomberg. Then way down further there's the weird persistent mats of bacteria that form in my sink's J-trap that I can't get rid of. Then there's Tulsi Gabbard.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:46 PM

Warren, Buttegieg were the only ones I really was interested in, though I would vote for anyone, in fact any thing before trump. I would rejoice at his assassination, and there isn't anyone else I have ever or probably will ever say that of.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:49 PM

I didn't have a favorite. I liked Biden and Warren tops. If Biden and Warren run together, I'll be quite pleased. If Joe knocks off during his term, Warren will make a fine President. If Joe survives, he will make a fine President, too. Especially when compared to the shitshow we have today in the White House.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 PM

I had different favorites throughout the year. Biden was on top at times, Booker at others, Warren, Bullock and Bloomberg too.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Disclaimer: I am not a registered Democrat. Registered Green instead.

Of the Dem candidates: Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg, Biden, Klobuchar, Gillibrand, after that don't care.

So fourth place.

I said all along that I'd be happy to see any of these folks replacing Trump in the Oval Office.

If I lived in a remotely swingy state I'd probably vote Dem rather than Green. Or (as one person suggested) trade off with someone in a solid-red or solid-blue state who was willing to vote Green if I voted Dem. In NY where I do vote, it won't matter if I vote Green.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Followup question, how far down the list was Biden for you?
It appears he was about 7th for me. Sanders, Warren, Mayor Pete, Harris, Gillibrand & Bloomberg were all ahead of him.

Here is the full list I think:
Sanders, Gabbard, Warren, Bloomberg, Klobuchar,
Buttigieg, Steyer, Patrick, Yang, Bennet,
Delaney, Booker, Williamson, Castro, Harris,
Bullock, Sestak, Messam, O’Rourke, Ryan,
de Blasio, Gillibrand, Moulton, Inslee, Hickenlooper,
Swalwell, Ojeda
I don't know a lot about the less well known candidates.

Of the dozen or so front runners, I'd say Biden is my 8th choice (I'd prefer Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, Steyer, Yang, Booker or Harris instead). Biden is still vastly better than Trump.

I'd put Biden ahead of Gabbard, Bloomberg, Klobuchar, Deval Patrick. Don't know enough about the other candidates.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 04-16-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Inslee and Warren were my top two, but I didn't have any really strong preferences among the rest of the field (barring nutcases, the severely underqualified, and full-of-themselves billionaires, categories among which there is a significant level of overlap). So, I guess Biden was tied for third with about half of the candidates?
Old 04-16-2020, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Like almost everyone here, Biden wasn't my first choice, but I'll vote for him in the general. Out of people who officially ran in the Democratic primary, I can think of five ahead of him, five behind him, and four at about the same position as him (the ones I can't think of are probably in the "behind him" category). Of people who didn't run but plausibly could, I can think of several off the top of my head that I'd like better, and there are probably several more who I would like, and just don't know well right now.

The gunk in LHoD's sink drain didn't run, but if it did, I'd place it somewhere behind Biden, but ahead of Gabbard.

The full list:
SPOILER:
Elizabeth Warren
Bernie Sanders
Jay Inslee
Cory Booker
Kamala Harris

(in no particular order)
Joe Biden
Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar
John Hickenlooper
Steve Bullock

(behind Biden)
Pete Buttigieg
Andrew Yang
Mike Bloomberg
Marianne Williamson
Sink-Drain Gunk
Tulsi Gabbard

Not running, but I wish they had:
Brian Schweitzer
Al Gore
Tammy Duckworth
Tammy Baldwin
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Honestly, I am not sure who was my first choice. Biden- for electability. Mayor Pete- because I liked him the best. Bernie- for ideas.

I hope for Pete in 2028. He needs some national experience however.

Joe- listen to Sanders & Warren, but take some of their craziest ideas and tone them down. I hope Sanders gets his choice of Cabinet positions. He might not go for one, of course.

I dont want Warren for Veep, since a republican will be appointed to take her place in the senate. I would also like someone younger.

Some Bernie-bros are saying Biden has to pick sanders as veep- "or else".
Old 04-16-2020, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Voted third party in 2016, will do again in 2020. My mind was made up on that years ago, Biden or no Biden.

So, in WW2, with a Choice between Chamberlain or Hitler, you'd pick no one, since both are just as bad?

This isnt a choice better Good vs evil, it is a choice between the end of democracy as we know it vs a OK guy who isnt perfect.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I have to say I haven't felt a lot of enthusiasm for any of the Democratic candidates who ran this year. I'm not a huge Biden fan but I feel he'll do okay.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:54 PM

I liked Warren and Biden for electability. Warren seemed electable to me because her calm competence would make an appealing contrast to Trump, and since in 2016 Hillary got 3 million more votes, that would imply that the perennial American 'NO CHICKS' factor wouldn't matter. But in retrospect the NO CHICKS people may have been more riled up than I'd originally thought, and helped scuttle Warren.

Biden will do fine. He will have a list of highly intelligent and decent people from which to staff his government. It will work out.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-16-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Some Bernie-bros are saying Biden has to pick sanders as veep- "or else".
That "or else" is definitely stoop. But I figure folks saying that, it costs me little to try to coax and cajole them over to the side of pragmatic cynicism. Biden is 100% not going to choose Sanders, and like 95% not going to choose Warren either. We vote in the world we have, not in the world we wish we had.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 04-16-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:09 PM

Warren was my top choice, Harris was my second, and Biden was my third. I didn't like anyone else.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:47 PM

I would have been fine with any number of Democratic candidates. I kinda wish Biden hadn't run, so the voters would have not had him as the "eh, he'll do" choice. Instead, we would have had to coalesce around someone new.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:28 PM

I never worked out a ranking for most of the candidates; New York would have voted relatively late in the process (and will vote even later now), and I was hoping that the pack would thin out some before I had to choose and I also figured that would give me more time to study up on whoever looked like still being in at that point. All moot now -- pack thinned out faster than I expected.

I was actually hoping that somebody would show up who I'd like better than anyone who did run; though I can't name a specific person for that. Somebody with more sense than to get into that scrum, probably. Biden certainly wasn't my first pick -- I was originally hoping that neither he nor Sanders would run. If there'd still been a contest by the time NY got to vote, and presuming she was still in, I expect I would have voted for Warren.

But -- yeah. Between Biden and Trump is no contest. And being willing to possibly elect Trump by running third-party is, this year, IMO a disqualification in itself.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:31 PM

My order for 2008 was Biden (if he hadn't cratered early), Clinton, Obama. Guess who was still my first choice this time around?

It is hard to overcome Biden's Foreign Affairs committee experience mixed with his foreign policy involvement as VP to get my vote. My criteria in selecting a president generally has most domestic policy considerations falling behind foreign policy concerns. Some usually wedge domestic positions, like abortion, barely even register on my presidential voting radar.

Klobuchar was a solid choice that I would have been happy to vote for. Nobody else made me want to vote for them instead of merely sighing and voting against Trump. Warren, Sanders, and Gabbard bring up the rear in the category where they better be running against Trump, zombie Hitler, or Thanos to have even a slight chance of getting my vote.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Didn't have a top choice. Biden is good enough. He scores very high on the not being Trump issue.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:36 PM

As a more moderate Democrat, my list was basically: Biden, Bullock, Buttigieg, Booker, Harris, Klobuchar (or something like that). When Biden cratered I was on Amy's wagon for a little while, then Mayor Pete's, but once they dropped out is was clear sailing for Joe. Of the more leftward candidates only Warren really interested me.

Do I think he'd be the best president? No, probably not. But he may have some unique benefits in the general (strength in PA and other upper-midwest states, possibly more enthusiastic support in AA communities, way more "relatable" than Hillary). Or maybe the "senile Joe" crap will stick and we'll be stuck with four more years of Trump. We shall see.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't rank all of the candidates - the non-entities didn't occupy my attention at all and most of the rest fell more into loose tiers than a ranked hierarchy.

Top tier for me was probably Inslee, Warren and Booker for different reasons.

Biden was firmly mid-tier, purely on name recognition and potential electability - he has more rust-belt cred than some, which might help. I've not been particularly enthused about Biden this go around, but I always figured it was his nomination to lose so I made my peace with him a long time ago. At the probable worst he should be an adequately sane and marginally competent do-nothing. I can live with that after these last few years of debacle. At best he might be fairly decent.

Sanders slotted somewhere below that for a few reasons, but a big one is the opposite of Biden's. I'm in the camp that thinks he was pragmatically a particularly weak candidate for the general. More honest, but more polarizing and his most enthusiastic base, the left-leaning youth, are pretty damned unreliable in elections. Biden's cranky old and middle-aged moderates are a hell of a lot more likely to bother to vote.

Down quite a ways were the bottom tier( again ignoring the utter non-entities )of Bloomberg and Gabbard. I'd have winced mightily voting for either one. But I would have - they were still better than the alternative.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 04-16-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Pete
Kamala
Warren/Booker as my top 3. Warren sank as my third as I became more impressed with Booker and less with Warren. I wished that both Biden and Bernie would have sat this one out and passed the torch. They didn’t and here we are. I’m voting Biden and will campaign for him in WI as well as everywhere by phone and text banking.

Last edited by dalej42; 04-16-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

An interesting set of responses, completely invalidated because this Board is not a representative sampling of anyone.

But don't forget, there are 63 million people who voted for Donald Trump in 2016 who are waiting for the Democratic Party to fall apart and justify their voting to reelect him in 2020.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
An interesting set of responses, completely invalidated because this Board is not a representative sampling of anyone.
I kinda thought that was automatically assumed about any non-controlled internet poll of anyone, anywhere on any topic .
Old 04-16-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Even speaking as someone whose top two choices were Warren and Sanders, Biden shouldn't pick either of them as VP. All three of them are very old. Any one of them, if they got the nomination, would have needed to pick a young VP. Ticket-balancing isn't necessarily always essential, but the VP's reason for existence is to outlive the President.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But don't forget, there are 63 million people who voted for Donald Trump in 2016 who are waiting for the Democratic Party to fall apart and justify their voting to reelect him in 2020.
Trump came in second place in 2016. I have a hard time believing he's going to hang on to all the votes he got four years ago. And I have a really hard time believing he's going to get any votes that he didn't get four years ago.

Think about it. Have you ever met a person who's said, "You know, I had my doubts about Donald Trump and I voted against him the first time. But now that I see what a great job he's doing as President, he's really won me over."
Old 04-16-2020, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
That "or else" is definitely stoop. But I figure folks saying that, it costs me little to try to coax and cajole them over to the side of pragmatic cynicism. Biden is 100% not going to choose Sanders, and like 95% not going to choose Warren either. We vote in the world we have, not in the world we wish we had.
If Warren didnt have a republican governor, so we'd lose a dem seat in the senate, she'd be a good candidate.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hardly invalidated. It is a decent sampling of thise board.

Yes, and there are 66 Million for voted for the democratic candidate- who are watching trump and the GOP falling apart right in front o f their eyes as we speak.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Think about it. Have you ever met a person who's said, "You know, I had my doubts about Donald Trump and I voted against him the first time. But now that I see what a great job he's doing as President, he's really won me over."
Yep. Oh sure, I see many diehard MAGA hat wearers, who are gonna stick by him come hell and high water. But I hear quite a few abandoning ship also.

Especially those in the Rust belt. Trump made big promises that sounded good, and he hasnt come thru on any of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q
Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Since my primary wasnít until June (now July) I had resigned myself to waiting for the choice to be made for me. I hadnít really locked in my choice. Biden was near the top but maybe not #1. 2016 Joe would be my #1.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:37 AM

I didn't even bother to make a top choice until the candidates would simplify. But, even with that proviso, I would not consider Biden my top choice. I had serious reservations about him, mostly due to the enthusiasm gap. That said, I had the same about Bernie, just for other reasons.

I think that, in hindsight, I probably supported Warren most of all. But, honestly, no one really turned me off other than Bloomberg, though I'm not counting those who dropped out before the primaries, since I didn't even bother getting to know anything about them or their platform.

Last edited by BigT; 04-17-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:18 AM

My top choices were similar to what others here have said. Warren was my favorite. Booker, Harris, Inslee, Klobuchar were tied for second. Four years ago I'd have put Biden at the top, but by now he's starting to show signs of old age.

Although my own support for Warren may seem to contradict this point, I do NOT understand the support for candidates like Yang. How good his ideas may be is irrelevant. Good ideas are a dime a dozen. The President's job is to inspire Congress, inspire the people, and know what to do when the dreaded red-phone rings at 4 am.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:56 AM

Biden was my top choice all along, but I would have been happy with nearly anyone except Sanders, Williamson, or Gabbard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
It's your vote to use or waste as you see fit, but here's how I see it: The US is like a house on fire. If the fire continues for four more years, it will be destroyed. Biden is the fire hydrant nearby, all we have to do is use it and we save the house. The third party candidates are like eyedroppers full of water. You can aim your dropper at the house and squeeze with all your might, but it won't save the house. I urge you to vote to save your house and save your third party votes for when it doesn't matter.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Since my primary wasnít until June (now July) I had resigned myself to waiting for the choice to be made for me. I hadnít really locked in my choice. Biden was near the top but maybe not #1. 2016 Joe would be my #1.
That is pretty much every Presidential election for us. I can't remember the last time the nomination was still in play by the time NJ got to its primary.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

This poll isn't even a decent sampling of this board, because it's voluntary response. It's, at most, a decent sampling of the portion of this board that feels inclined to respond to political polls.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
This poll isn't even a decent sampling of this board, because it's voluntary response. It's, at most, a decent sampling of the portion of this board that feels inclined to respond to political polls.
Well, I hope no one ever expects any self-selecting poll to be vaguely scientific, but I will say the poll is coming out pretty close to my expectations.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
If Warren didnt have a republican governor, so we'd lose a dem seat in the senate, she'd be a good candidate.
Biden/Warren 2020: Who wants hard candy?
Old 04-17-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Would it? If this site is correct, there'd be a special election:

Quote:
145-160 days after vacancy occurs. If a vacancy occurs after April 10 but on or before the 70th day before the regular state primary, the office shall appear on the regular state primary ballot. If a vacancy occurs after that time, the office shall appear on the state election ballot that November.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

I would have expected a lot more "Biden was my first choice". I mean, obviously someone in the party likes him.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I would have expected a lot more "Biden was my first choice". I mean, obviously someone in the party likes him.
The feeling I had was the Biden was only the first choice of 20-25% of Dems. But he was a far greater number of peoples acceptable choice. I think the support for Hillary was probably about the same in the end but with a lower number of acceptable choice.

It looks like Biden wasn't even 20% for Dopers, but I don't think that is much of a surprise. This board runs to the left overall. Bernie, Warren & Booker had a lot of support. Also a lot of people legitimately worry about Biden's age.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:03 AM

I think Biden provided a good safety candidate for a lot of people so they could put their support on someone else in the crowd. If it had been just 2-3 possible candidates Biden would have been at the top of the list for more people, but maybe not the last man/woman standing.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:
So, in WW2, with a Choice between Chamberlain or Hitler, you'd pick no one, since both are just as bad?

This isnt a choice better Good vs evil, it is a choice between the end of democracy as we know it vs a OK guy who isnt perfect.
I'm going to step in and declare this out of bounds.

Let's make this thread about the polling and discussion and leave the frantic cries about other's preferences out. Or at least keep them at a minimum.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:10 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Well, we skew white, Gen X and pretty lefty. You gotta take that into account, my friend. We ain't most of Biden's key demographics.

For me?

I'd say I'd have been happy with Mayor Pete, Harris or Warren. But Biden will be acceptable for me except for my inherent pissed-offedness about having to vote for one more goddam boomer.

But I'm in the 'True Blue No Matter Who' camp. A new President may be an unknown quantity but the current one is a KNOWN quantity and I sure don't want more of that.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:35 AM

I chose #1, because he's who I expected to actually vote for in the primary and general election (and did in the primary), although I'd have preferred Pete Buttigieg, but he dropped out prior to my chances to actually vote.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:50 AM

I thought Biden should have run in 2016 when he was at the peak of power and popularity as the second in command of a popular administration. I know his son died so a grieving process was needed but the cynic in me if I was advising him would have been to run and do it for his son.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Well, we skew white, Gen X and pretty lefty. You gotta take that into account, my friend. We ain't most of Biden's key demographics.

For me?

I'd say I'd have been happy with Mayor Pete, Harris or Warren. But Biden will be acceptable for me except for my inherent pissed-offedness about having to vote for one more goddam boomer.

But I'm in the 'True Blue No Matter Who' camp. A new President may be an unknown quantity but the current one is a KNOWN quantity and I sure don't want more of that.
Biden is not a boomer. He would be our first (and last) silent generation president.