Old 04-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
The problem is when someone just posts "ZOMBIE!" or "BRAAAIIINS" with no further explanation when someone else bumps and old thread, which is neither funny nor informs a newbie of what the "joke" is about.
Does this happen often? I've seen lots of snarky zombie-related puns, not so much standalone "ZOMBIE!" or "BRAAIIINS!"
Old 04-18-2018, 10:26 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Does this happen often? I've seen lots of snarky zombie-related puns, not so much standalone "ZOMBIE!" or "BRAAIIINS!"
It happens often enough. Or similarly cryptic phrases that aren't really much of a joke or informative.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:30 AM

I just feel like we're stuffing these zombies with straw. People don't like zombie jokes? Fine - totally acceptable to not be into them. But is there any compelling evidence that zombie jokes are driving newbies from the board? Like I pointed out above, it seems more reasonable to assume that the majority of newbie threadbumpers never come back at all, even without zombie jokes.

I mentioned the Stewart Sandwich thread above, but maybe that one is an outlier. So I looked at another oft-bumped thread. I only looked at the first 200 posts, but that spans 12 years and plenty of newbies.

Out of all the bumps in the first 12 years, three of the posters stuck around long enough to post more than once - but only in that thread. Not a single one of them ever ventured away to post elsewhere on the forums. That thread has some joking about the bumps, but nothing at all offputting. Many of them got legitimate responses from established posters.

So is there any evidence at all that BRAIINS are driving away newbies? Because there appears to be evidence that a newbie who bumps an old thread is extremely unlikely to stick around regardless of their reception.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:48 PM

I've been fooled by old threads where none of the old posters had the common courtesy to get banned and thus serve as a signal to the age of the thread.

How about a guideline, not a rule, that the first poster noticing a zombie thread has been brought back posts a note saying that the new poster should not expect responses from people posting 10 years ago.
I don't think one or two joke posts - preferably with content - are amiss. After that forget it - you've been ninjaed.

"Reported" is the worst option. It is good when you don't want to encourage a spammer or malicious poster with a response, but it sounds justifiably harsh and could scare off a newbie far more than a joke.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:04 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Then there are zombie conductors, who are after TRAAIIINS.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
And the refractory period between searches is 120 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
Great word.

Make a note of that word, and give it to Susan.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 PM

The Zombie/Brains thing is really stupid and often misplaced. Posters should stop being so lame.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

IS THIS A FUCKING IN-JOKE?!

I hate those bastards. Iím never posting here again.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
The Zombie/Brains thing is really stupid and often misplaced. Posters should stop being so lame.
ADA violation reported.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
ADA violation reported.
We already have someone around here for reporting ADA violations, and it's not you.

ADA violation reporting violation reported.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 04-20-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
We already have someone around here for reporting ADA violations, and it's not you.
Ahhh, it's my scoliosis, isn't it?!

reported.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM

Are you trying to be funny? If so, I think you have failed as dismally as Carrot Top.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:26 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
You mean LAAAME.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Well, I actually do find them funny, when they are a pun or somehow worked into a response to the thread. But then I'm well aware that my sense of humour is pretty much one of a kind.

These. I can't tell you how many times I've realized in time to edit my response only because the zombie jokes caught my eye. I simply don't check the date on OPs, and I've never been able to develop the habit.

Well, yes, there are several that don't, but they're stuck with me for now. ;-)

I do totally agree with this.

What I do find incredibly unwelcoming are the snippy posts along the lines of:

Sharing an in-joke (within the context of an addition to the thread)seems far more welcoming to me.

Either way, the zombie jokes evolved to fill a niche, and if the Mods want them gone I suggest filling the niche some other way. I don't agree with locking threads unless they are somehow malicious.

The automatic warning linked to above would only discourage the necromancer, and would do nothing to warn the subsequent posters. So it seems to me it would discourage new posters more than any of the other methods, while doing nothing to fill the niche.

Is there some option as simple as making the dates turn red after a year has passed? Something that would passively alert us to the age of the thread without interrupting the train of thought?
Took the words right out of my fingertips.

Sometimes when I'm here I just need to step back and visualize my happy space.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:16 PM

I'm tempted to see if there's any old threads about neuroscience to resurrect. That way, when the smartasses post "BRAIIIIINS," it will actually be relevant.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post

Let's go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! Well-played, sir!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I don't care about the joke per say, but I do appreciate being told I'm in a zombie thread.
^This.

Too many times I've seen long time posters post to a revived thread, without looking at the dates, thinking it is a current thread. The simple stupid zombie joke is a reminder to long time posters that they should be aware of the nature of the thread.

Which is of much greater value than just reporting the thread, IMHO.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 PM

Is this better?

Not asking if it's magically funny to the "sick of it"camp. Asking the mods if this or a similar note would assuage their concerns about scaring off newbies.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Is this better?

Not asking if it's magically funny to the "sick of it"camp. Asking the mods if this or a similar note would assuage their concerns about scaring off newbies.
I really don't buy the idea that zombie jokes will "scare off newbies", especially considering how on a lot of boards responding to a thread more than 18 hours old will be met with a snippy "Stop necroposting!"
Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Is this better?

Why don't you just reply to them clearly and politely about it being an old thread? Why is it so extremely important to include a zombie joke? In any case, that will still be pretty obscure.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-24-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Why don't you just reply to them clearly and politely about it being an old thread? Why is it so extremely important to include a zombie joke? In any case, that will still be pretty obscure.
Because, while I respect the fact that you don't think it's funny and you don't feel a sense of connectedness resulting from the in-jokes, I do.

So I'm trying to find a compromise that respects your concerns, while you just keep repeating that your sense of humour and nostalgia are different from mine.

This thread has clearly demonstrated that I am not the only one who feels this way, so maybe you could indulge the conversation and participate in finding an answer?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Because, while I respect the fact that you don't think it's funny and you don't feel a sense of connectedness resulting from the in-jokes, I do.

So I'm trying to find a compromise that respects your concerns, while you just keep repeating that your sense of humour and nostalgia are different from mine.

This thread has clearly demonstrated that I am not the only one who feels this way, so maybe you could indulge the conversation and participate in finding an answer?
This thread has also clearly demonstrated that a significant number of people are annoyed by this "joke." The answer is simple: that if you don't want to annoy people, then you should stop making the joke. I'm not sure what compromise you think is possible. But I still haven't received an answer from you as to why you consider this joke to be so extremely important that you're willing to annoy a significant fraction of your fellow posters.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what compromise you think is possible.
How about if both sides abide by the rules, and simultaneously recognize that not everyone is going to post things that you like?
Quote:
But I still haven't received an answer from you as to why you consider this joke to be so extremely important that you're willing to annoy a significant fraction of your fellow posters.
Because
  1. It's not against the rules, and
  2. a significant fraction needs to get over themselves.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
...and[*]a significant fraction needs to get over themselves.
Which side are you referring to?
Old 04-25-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
But I still haven't received an answer from you as to why you consider this joke to be so extremely important that you're willing to annoy a significant fraction of your fellow posters.
What is a "significant fraction of [my] fellow posters?"

58 people have posted in this thread, representing about 1.5% of the active population (3,706). If we generously say half the people who have posted in this thread are feeling genuinely put out, then we're looking at less than one percent of the SDMB.

If we decided to get rid of all the behavior that genuinely annoys less than one percent of the board, I'm afraid we wouldn't have much of a board left.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Which side are you referring to?
The side that thinks they can say "that's within the rules but I don't like it" and be listened to.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
58 people have posted in this thread, representing about 1.5% of the active population (3,706). If we generously say half the people who have posted in this thread are feeling genuinely put out, then we're looking at less than one percent of the SDMB.
No, that's not how it works. If you consider the 58 posters a "significant statistical sample" of the overall population, then you have to project that the same percentage of the overall population would feel the same way. So if half of the 58 feel that way, then the projection is that half of the 3,706 would feel that way.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:55 AM

Only if this thread is a representative sampling of the board population, which it is not.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
The side that thinks they can say "that's within the rules but I don't like it" and be listened to.

Regards,
Shodan
Whatever do you mean? Who would do something that was within the rules yet pissed off people?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Whatever do you mean? Who would do something that was within the rules yet pissed off people?
At a rough guess, half the Dope in general, and three quarters of the Pit.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
At a rough guess, half the Dope in general, and three quarters of the Pit.

Regards,
Shodan
I would go more 10% and 90% but I agree with your general thinking.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
This thread has also clearly demonstrated that a significant number of people are annoyed by this "joke." The answer is simple: that if you don't want to annoy people, then you should stop making the joke. I'm not sure what compromise you think is possible. But I still haven't received an answer from you as to why you consider this joke to be so extremely important that you're willing to annoy a significant fraction of your fellow posters.
Again, there is a difference between seeing something that you don't find funny, and choosing to be annoyed by it. The second by no means confers a social obligation onto others.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Again, there is a difference between seeing something that you don't find funny, and choosing to be annoyed by it. The second by no means confers a social obligation onto others.
Just because you wouldn't be mightily annoyed if a straw fell on your head doesn't mean you'd feel the same if someone deliberately dropped a bale of hay on you.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Just because you wouldn't be mightily annoyed if a straw fell on your head doesn't mean you'd feel the same if someone deliberately dropped a bale of hay on you.
A bale of hay dropped on your head could do significant damage to your... spinal cord.

Last edited by John Mace; 04-25-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

I personally don't mind in-jokes (except for the forced quarry one - seriously, don't try to force a meme, that really comes off as lame). They do add some character to this place.

But when someone comes here via google and posts something, not realizing that this board is decades old and that the thread they have stumbled into is old, and then all they get are some bizarre obscure zombie references, the poor newbie is just going to think that the SDMB is a bunch of a-holes and they never come back.

If people would instead post something like:
Braiiiinzzzzzz!!! (or whatever zombie joke you want to make)

but then follow it up with something like:
Welcome to the SDMB, newbie. Sorry, but we tend to refer to old threads that have been revived like this as zombies, so don't be put off by all of the zombie jokes.
(even better if you actually answer their question at that point)

That's a lot more welcoming, and clues the newbie into exactly what the joke is and why they got joke answers to something that they thought was a serious reply.

If all you post is Braiinzzzzzz!!!! then the newbie just goes away and we lose another chance for a new member to join.

Some folks around here like being snarky, which is even worse.

I don't have any access to the financial side of things here, but the general impression I get is that we are just barely keeping the lights on. People stumbling upon this site through google is one of our primary sources of new members. Driving away these potential new members by being snarky to them is not a good thing.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I think you are drawing a false equivalency here. It is not possible to simply shrug your shoulders and disregard a bale of hay falling on your head.

Even the quarry thing, which a great many more people dislike with (IMHO) far more reason, is quite easy to just skim over. I find the complainers who turn it into 17 posts on the subject far better fodder for annoyance than the occasional repeat.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you are drawing a false equivalency here. It is not possible to simply shrug your shoulders and disregard a bale of hay falling on your head.

Even the quarry thing, which a great many more people dislike with (IMHO) far more reason, is quite easy to just skim over. I find the complainers who turn it into 17 posts on the subject far better fodder for annoyance than the occasional repeat.
Please re-read the OP, where I state the primary reason why I dislike the "Zombieee!" type responses-I think it has a good chance of insulting newbies who don't know what the hell the response means.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:44 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
It's already been explained to you many times why it's annoying. Of course, if you choose to not regard not being annoying as being a social obligation, you can choose to ignore this.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-25-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
You're free to do so, if you so desire. Many others here seem to have no problem with poking a little fun at a zombie resurrection. At the resurrection itself, not at the poor misguided soul who didn't check the thread date. OTOH, some do.

What's the ratio for/against? Do we need a current poll? Will there be an executive decision? Will the regulars begin seeing warnings and reprimands? Will warnings and reprimands cause the regulars to leave?

Who needs to be trained? The newbies or the regulars? Does anyone need to be trained? I haven't seen any evidence that some, most, or all newbies flee after receiving a clever/smartass/smarmy reply to their post.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Please re-read the OP, where I state the primary reason why I dislike the "Zombieee!" type responses-I think it has a good chance of insulting newbies who don't know what the hell the response means.
Yes. That is why I have tried to identify the niche that needs to be filled and asked you all for suggestions. I've also observed the various responses and provided an example of a zombie call that:

1. Includes a response to the actual thread,
2. Calls out the zombie while in no way insulting the newbie and
3. Provides a footnote explaining the joke for the uninitiated.

So maybe you could provide some feedback acknowledging the on-going discussion and provide an alternative that takes the concerns/opinions of others into account? Or identify what part of my example isn't working for you beyond "I don't think the joke is funny."

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at the mod's responses here. I expect more from you guys than just continually parroting the same phrases. And I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited by TruCelt; 04-25-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Who needs to be trained? The newbies or the regulars? Does anyone need to be trained? I haven't seen any evidence that some, most, or all newbies flee after receiving a clever/smartass/smarmy reply to their post.
Come on, have some common sense. If someone is new to a site and their only greeting is snarky and unwelcoming, do you seriously think that they are going to continue to use that site?

And how do you expect someone who isn't familiar with this board or its culture to understand that you are just being snarky about the necro-post and aren't being snarky to them? From an outsider's point of view, it's just unwelcoming snark.

As for who needs to be trained, there's no rule against people being unfriendly. If you want to give people the impression that you are a rude asshole, as long as you don't actually break the "don't be a jerk" rule, we mods aren't going to do anything about it. Training people to be nice isn't a part of our job duties here.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Come on, have some common sense. If someone is new to a site and their only greeting is snarky and unwelcoming, do you seriously think that they are going to continue to use that site?

And how do you expect someone who isn't familiar with this board or its culture to understand that you are just being snarky about the necro-post and aren't being snarky to them? From an outsider's point of view, it's just unwelcoming snark.

As for who needs to be trained, there's no rule against people being unfriendly. If you want to give people the impression that you are a rude asshole, as long as you don't actually break the "don't be a jerk" rule, we mods aren't going to do anything about it. Training people to be nice isn't a part of our job duties here.
Yes, I think they will. New people usually understand that they have to learn the rules, regulations, and quirks of any new group/website they join. Do new members actually expect the regulars to conform to the needs/whims of every new member?

Many people seem to appreciate the fact that there is no rule against people being unfriendly/witty/snarky, but some in this thread are actually trying to train others not to respond with snarky remarks in the case of zombie threads. Maybe you prefer the term "polite request", or "subtle suggestion", instead of "train"? Bad poster. Don't do that.

So what happens now? Members have had their say, both for and against. Will people still be allowed to post humorous/snarky responses to zombie threads? Personally, I have no problem with the humorous/snarky responses. I see this situation as someone who was perusing this site hoping to end their own ignorance on any, or all, subjects, or was just enjoying the entertaining banter regardless of the date of the thread. Knowledge is still knowledge. Does every topic have to be started anew or it doesn't count?

Which eventually leads to enforcement of the new rule. If it's decided that humorous/snarky responses will not be allowed/tolerated in zombie threads, how will the new rule be enforced?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes. That is why I have tried to identify the niche that needs to be filled and asked you all for suggestions. I've also observed the various responses and provided an example of a zombie call that:

1. Includes a response to the actual thread,
2. Calls out the zombie while in no way insulting the newbie and
3. Provides a footnote explaining the joke for the uninitiated.
If you have to provide a footnote explaining, I think that proves the joke isn't really as funny as you think. Plus it kinda says, "don't be scared little newbie, we're not going to bite!"
Old 04-25-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
. . .
So what happens now? Members have had their say, both for and against. Will people still be allowed to post humorous/snarky responses to zombie threads?
. . .
Or do those against the zombie jokes have a proactive suggestion about how else to identify zombie threads? Several suggestions have been made. Will there be any response beyond "It's not funny/it scares newbies"?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Or do those against the zombie jokes have a proactive suggestion about how else to identify zombie threads? Several suggestions have been made. Will there be any response beyond "It's not funny/it scares newbies"?
How about:

"Oh hey, just so you know, this thread is *x amount of time* old, so the person who started it might not be around anymore. Welcome to the Dope!"

I know it sounds crazy, but it just might work.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
How about:

"Oh hey, just so you know, this thread is *x amount of time* old, so the person who started it might not be around anymore. Welcome to the Dope!"

I know it sounds crazy, but it just might work.
Mods do this all the time, as do hoi polloi. With the same welcome line.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Your concern for newbies is touching.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krav Manga View Post
Your concern for newbies is touching.
I don't know what to say.
What the hell do those links have to do with either zombie threads and/or vague and tediously repetitive one word responses to them?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 04-26-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Just to be on the safe side, I called my homeowners insurance carrier. I am covered for Zombie Apocalypse.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
If you want to give people the impression that you are a rude asshole, as long as you don't actually break the "don't be a jerk" rule, we mods aren't going to do anything about it.
True story. My posting history here in the last couple years is his cite.

Additionally, I can't wait for this thread to die, just so I can bump it back to life with a zombie joke.