Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Is slamming Winnipeg a thing?

Mrs R and I were just watching season 11 of Murdoch Mysteries (great show, by the way), and the titular character (a detective who is based out of Toronto) ran into a woman who was from Winnipeg, who spoke very disparagingly about Winnipeg. It was almost as though the show runners were winking at the audience.

So: Is giving Winnipeg a hard time a thing nowadays?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Not in the Chicago area it isn't. The only thing I know about Winnipeg is:
"When we got to Winnipeg
I checked into school
I wore white bucks on my feet
when I learned the Golden Rule"
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I remember seeing a Second City sketch in Toronto where the quintessential rube in the city was from Winnipeg.

I believe the Prairie provinces in general are considered the Canadian equivalent of the Great Plains, so Winnipeg is the rough equivalent of Omaha.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 PM

I've been to Winnipeg once. I went there (from Minneapolis) in February 1979 to watch an eclipse of the Sun.

Never been so freakin' cold in my life! After hours on the road, half of which were in total darkness, it was just THERE in the middle of nowhere, lighting up the horizon like some nuclear wasteland.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Mrs R and I were just watching season 11 of Murdoch Mysteries (great show, by the way), and the titular character (a detective who is based out of Toronto) ran into a woman who was from Winnipeg, who spoke very disparagingly about Winnipeg. It was almost as though the show runners were winking at the audience.

So: Is giving Winnipeg a hard time a thing nowadays?
Winnipeg is the capital city of Manitoba, a chunk in the middle of Canada that is almost as big as Texas (though in the shape of a tall rectangle) but a whole lot colder. It's famous for being too cold in the winter, but fairly hot in the summer by Canadian standards.

Murdoch Mysteries is old-fashioned, right? Before modern transportation, Winnipeg meant a long long train ride, temperature 40 below zero, a big stockyard, and nothing to do. Old-fashioned Winnipeg was probably sort of like if you took old-fashioned Omaha and plunked it in the middle of Alaska.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 PM

I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan. We gotta have SOMEBODY to make fun of, and they used to be our major competition for the highest per capita homicide rate.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 PM

It's famous for it's two seasons: snow and mosquitoes.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:25 AM

I took it to mean Winnipeg = rednecky, rube-type place.

And hey, another Murdoch fan!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Oddly enough, I just heard this song for the first time yesterday:
Quote:
Late afternoon, another day is nearly done
A darker grey is breaking through a lighter one
A thousand sharpened elbows in the underground
That hollow, hurried sound

Of feet on polished floor
And in the dollar store
The clerk is closing up
And counting loonies, trying not to say

I hate Winnipeg
http://www.metrolyrics.com/one-great...akerthans.html
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM

If you really want to understand the city, watch the "documentary" My Winnipeg.

(Now I'm going to have Don't Be Denied as my earworm of the day.)
Old 04-24-2018, 11:41 AM

At least it ain't Wullerton! [ptoo!]
Old 04-24-2018, 12:07 PM

I am from Winnipeg (GO JETS!), and I love it with all of the heart you give to your home town, but it's not an easy city to get used to or around in. The streets are named, not numbered, the downtown core is not very pedestrian-friendly (although the Exchange is definitely getting a reboot thanks to Hipsters). The winters are bitterly cold (seriously, we have broken records for the most consecutive days below -30), and yep, lost of mosquitoes.

BUT...the summers are hot, even the nights and there are tons of beautiful beaches and lakes. The people are pretty friendly, and there are winter festivals and parties almost every weekend in the winter, some that celebrate the cold (Festival du Voyageur). There is a HUGE multicultural event in August each year (Folklorama) and summer parties/fairs and music fests all over the province in the summer.

It's not for everyone, but it's a pretty amazing place (and still better than Regina).
Old 04-24-2018, 01:24 PM

One word sums up Winnipeg-slamming: Mosquitoes.

My major memory of visiting my Winnipeg-dwelling great uncle can be summarized in that word ... mind you, the time we visited, it was in the summer. Never saw Winnipeg in winter.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
I am from Winnipeg (GO JETS!), and I love it with all of the heart you give to your home town, but it's not an easy city to get used to or around in. The streets are named, not numbered, the downtown core is not very pedestrian-friendly (although the Exchange is definitely getting a reboot thanks to Hipsters). The winters are bitterly cold (seriously, we have broken records for the most consecutive days below -30), and yep, lost of mosquitoes.

BUT...the summers are hot, even the nights and there are tons of beautiful beaches and lakes. The people are pretty friendly, and there are winter festivals and parties almost every weekend in the winter, some that celebrate the cold (Festival du Voyageur). There is a HUGE multicultural event in August each year (Folklorama) and summer parties/fairs and music fests all over the province in the summer.

It's not for everyone, but it's a pretty amazing place (and still better than Regina).
Does Winnipeg tout it's relationship to Winnie-the-Pooh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
At the beginning, it explained that Pooh was in fact Christopher Robin's Edward Bear, who had been renamed by the boy. He was renamed after a black bear at London Zoo called Winnie who got her name from the fact that her owner had come from Winnipeg, Canada.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I'm not sure being known as "the pooh" is a good antidote to Winnipeg-bashing.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole
Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Having lived there for five years, the people are nice but it isn't a very pleasant place to live.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I've been to Winnipeg once. I went there (from Minneapolis) in February 1979 to watch an eclipse of the Sun.

Never been so freakin' cold in my life! After hours on the road, half of which were in total darkness, it was just THERE in the middle of nowhere, lighting up the horizon like some nuclear wasteland.
I've got to hijack a bit, I joined a friend in Chicago and we drove to Brandon (through Winnipeg) for that same eclipse. He read in an astronomy magazine that the City of Brandon was throwing open it's arms to amateur astronomers everywhere and figured we'd, at the very least, be able to spend the night before in the student center at Brandon University. As it turns out, the open invitation was to sleep in his Chevy Luv pickup in the parking lot that night. To repeat your line, Never been so freakin' cold in my life!

We probably made the drive the day before you did but I swear there was not a single other person on I-29 through North Dakota

Great eclipse, however, the clouds dissipated about an hour before totality.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjim View Post
I've got to hijack a bit, I joined a friend in Chicago and we drove to Brandon (through Winnipeg) for that same eclipse. He read in an astronomy magazine that the City of Brandon was throwing open it's arms to amateur astronomers everywhere and figured we'd, at the very least, be able to spend the night before in the student center at Brandon University. As it turns out, the open invitation was to sleep in his Chevy Luv pickup in the parking lot that night. To repeat your line, Never been so freakin' cold in my life!

We probably made the drive the day before you did but I swear there was not a single other person on I-29 through North Dakota

Great eclipse, however, the clouds dissipated about an hour before totality.
As I recall, the day of the eclipse (Sunday) was actually pretty mild. Once it was over, though, it got cold again in a hurry. The customs agent who stopped us at the border on the way home couldn't wait to get back inside his booth.

And yeah, we had clear skies for the eclipse too.

One other funny story: Before my car left Minneapolis, we all agreed to stop in Alexandria for dinner. "Fine," I said. "Just so long as the place doesn't have a six-foot-tall red neon sign outside that says 'EAT.'"

Six hours later, after passing the giant statue of the Viking, we're rolling up Alexandria's main street in the dark, and guess what we saw ahead of us? Yep, you got it!

Turned out I had eaten there in 1972, on my way to language camp. I wonder if that had stuck in my mind somehow for seven years.

And no, we didn't see a single car on the road north of Fargo either. The glow on the horizon as we neared Winnipeg reminded me of the Isaac Asimov story where large parts of the Midwest were forbidden zones centuries after a nuclear war.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:

A Canadian accent was coming thru as I read this, eh.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
Winnipeg is the capital city of Manitoba, a chunk in the middle of Canada that is almost as big as Texas (though in the shape of a tall rectangle) but a whole lot colder. It's famous for being too cold in the winter, but fairly hot in the summer by Canadian standards.

Murdoch Mysteries is old-fashioned, right? Before modern transportation, Winnipeg meant a long long train ride, temperature 40 below zero, a big stockyard, and nothing to do. Old-fashioned Winnipeg was probably sort of like if you took old-fashioned Omaha and plunked it in the middle of Alaska.
Winnipeger here...in the 1870s up to about 1910 or so Winnipeg was called the Chicago of the North. It was BOOMING with commerce, industry, yes, hordes of cattle that put Chicago to shame, lol, and with all the attendant social problems. So, from Murdochís perspective, it was a happening place.

I donít know about Omaha but Wpg is about 850,000 strong if you count all the outlying areas. Btw, a lot of us shop in Fargo and Minneapolis. Itís a shortish drive for good deals.

The Jets are ours. Canít wait to see them play the Preds!

About mosquitoes, or skeeters as we fondly called the buggers, because they havenít bugged us for about 5 years, thanks to early larvaciding and hordes (again) of dragonflies and damselflies. At long last I can go berry picking outside the city and grill in my backyard.

Winters are coltish but getting milder, last winter we had very little snow and only one serious cold spell in Feb. in my 35 years here, I can honestly say the winters are more tolerable, and the summers getting better too.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Winnipeg, lose a peg. It was once known as the Chicago of the North, and was the third largest city after Montreal and Toronto, FWIW.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 PM

Plus Winnipeg and Chicago are known for their murders, though the difference is large when you compare the two.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
There is a lovely statue and plaque in the zoo area of Assiniboine Park (large urban forest).
Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Winnipeg, lose a peg. It was once known as the Chicago of the North, and was the third largest city after Montreal and Toronto, FWIW.
I had to look this up and, yes, this was true in the 1921 census. But, even disregarding that that was nearly a century ago, I'm actually surprised that it was the fourth largest city as recently as 1996. I simply had no idea that it was that big. And looking at the top ten largest cities from the latest census, I realize how distorted my idea of Canadian city populations centres are. I would have thought Vancouver much higher and Quebec City to at least crack the top 10. And I had never heard of Mississauga or Brampton (although, looking at the map, it seems I must have driven through or really close to them when I drove from Chicago to Montreal.)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Better than Regina is a pretty low bar.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
I'll bet it's better than Dog River, too!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:31 PM

Many people who mock Winnipeg have never been there. Though Iíve heard The Forks area is nice, the Peg has a reputation (fair or not) for harsh winters and some rough areas.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is a lovely statue and plaque in the zoo area of Assiniboine Park (large urban forest).
Ah, cool. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

And many people who mock Winnipeg, HAVE been there. (me included!)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 AM

Ah Regina, the city that rhymes with fun... I grew up in Winnipeg and still remember that eclipse. Best one I've ever seen. Yeah, it has crime, wind, cold and mosquitoes that can carry off small domestic animals. It also has a world class symphony, ballet, is in the top 5 for most restaurants per capita in N.America (and a fantastic food culture), one of the world's best beaches a short-ish drive away (Grand Beach/ Grand Marais), The Forks and some of the best early 20th c. architecture around in the downtown Market Square area. As much sass as people put on it, it was a great place to grow up.

Also, Go Jets!

Last edited by swampspruce; 04-25-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I had to look this up and, yes, this was true in the 1921 census. But, even disregarding that that was nearly a century ago, I'm actually surprised that it was the fourth largest city as recently as 1996. I simply had no idea that it was that big. And looking at the top ten largest cities from the latest census, I realize how distorted my idea of Canadian city populations centres are. I would have thought Vancouver much higher and Quebec City to at least crack the top 10. And I had never heard of Mississauga or Brampton (although, looking at the map, it seems I must have driven through or really close to them when I drove from Chicago to Montreal.)
To be fair, Mississauga is now contiguous with Toronto, so if you were driving in that direction you could easily be forgiven for thinking it was just more Toronto.

Toronto has grown by absorbing a bunch of what used to be separate municipalities (Etobicoke, for example, where I live now, was a separate city until 1998, when it merged with a bunch of others, absorbed into Toronto).

Like some sort of municipal amoeba, Toronto just keeps eating other cities and growing ...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
Many people who mock Winnipeg have never been there. Though Iíve heard The Forks area is nice, the Peg has a reputation (fair or not) for harsh winters and some rough areas.
I have a good friend who has lived his whole life in Winnipeg, and that's exactly what he's told me -- that there are some areas of the city that are rather sketchy, and that the winters are brutal.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
And many people who mock Winnipeg, HAVE been there. (me included!)
Most of the people making fun of it in music etc are from there.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
To be fair, Mississauga is now contiguous with Toronto, so if you were driving in that direction you could easily be forgiven for thinking it was just more Toronto.

Toronto has grown by absorbing a bunch of what used to be separate municipalities (Etobicoke, for example, where I live now, was a separate city until 1998, when it merged with a bunch of others, absorbed into Toronto).

Like some sort of municipal amoeba, Toronto just keeps eating other cities and growing ...
When I tell people who have never been there what Toronto is like, I always compare it to London, England. The City of Toronto is actually quite small, while the Greater Toronto Area is HUGE!

Muscovites understand this very well. In 1989, their city had grown by a factor of nine since the end of WWII. No idea what it is today, but it too continues to gobble up the municipalities on its limits.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Says the guy whose city doesn't even have a pair of aggressive geese living in their Costco parking lot.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:11 PM

What does a "rough area" mean in Canada?

When you bump into someone, do they not say "Sorry, entirely my fault."?
Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
What does a "rough area" mean in Canada?
Drug/alcohol addiction and/or inherited poverty.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:42 PM

Anywhere (or any thing) that calls itself world-class, isn't.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:22 AM

They didn't, many others have.
Start with the links if you don't believe me. Also, .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Winnipeg_Ballet

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserR..._Manitoba.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_arts_and_culture

Winnipeg; Thank God it's not Toronto!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 PM

West coast Canadian, here. Winnipeg has the reputation for being colder that Satan's mother-in-law and windy enough to fly your cat like a kite. Portage and Main, 50 below, as the song goes. It's the kind of place where pregnant women have been taken to the hospital by snowmobile, what with the apocalyptic snowfall, and all. This, in a city of 700,000. You gotta have a soft spot for a place like that.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
It rhymes with "vagina" which is cool.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:39 PM

"The City that Rhymes with Fun" is one of our unofficial mottoes.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=terentii;20920265]I've been to Winnipeg once. I went there (from Minneapolis) in February 1979 to watch an eclipse of the Sun./QUOTE]Well, you're where you should be all the time.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Well, you're where you should be all the time.
FYI, the eclipse referenced in that song (in Nova Scotia) occurred 7 March 1970. It was a big deal at the time. I wanted to go see it, but I was stuck in the Midwest.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The streets are named, not numbered,
Huh? How is that different from any other city? (Yes, most of have "5th street" or whatever, but they also have named ones as well) I don't see how that would complicate things.

A lot of Downtown Pittsburgh's major streets are named.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 04-29-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:55 PM

I'm just surprised that there are actually Americans who watch "Murdoch Mysteries."
Old 04-29-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I'm just surprised that there are actually Americans who watch "Murdoch Mysteries."
It is shown on some of the cable networks such as COZI and Ovation. plus the ABC station in New York city broadcasts it Saturday morning at 3AM. I have no idea how many people actually watch it; I never have.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Huh? How is that different from any other city? (Yes, most of have "5th street" or whatever, but they also have named ones as well) I don't see how that would complicate things.

A lot of Downtown Pittsburgh's major streets are named.
It’s different than the numbered-grid system that helps people get around when they are not familiar (not me though, I am used to the named streets).

Last edited by Poysyn; 04-29-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Also, the downtown area is a series of one way streets that seem to mess people up pretty well. Also, Confusion Corner. Winnipeg's drivers are a scary lot, they are nearly as bad as Edmonton's....