View Poll Results: What will be the result of the Senate trial of trump?
Mitch doesn't allow a real trial, it's over in a short time 68 50.00%
There is a trial, but mostly attacking Biden and somehow Clinton 48 35.29%
There is a fair and long trial, with evidence, but Not Guilty 17 12.50%
There is a fair and long trial, with evidence, Trump is removed 3 2.21%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Collins will vote to acquit but she'll furrow her brows. Much furrowing. Maybe a sigh.
This. Collins officially wraithed herself last year over Kavanaugh.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:38 PM

To anyone who voted for number 1, please explain how McConnell will usurp the Constitutional power of CJ Roberts to preside?
Old 12-19-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
To anyone who voted for number 1, please explain how McConnell will usurp the Constitutional power of CJ Roberts to preside?
With a twinkle in his eye and a devilish grin.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Okay, here's my dream.

It's been suggested that some Repub senators might have the cojones to vote to convict, if only they could be confident that a bunch of other Repub senators will too, so they won't be standing alone. And it's fairly well understood, I think, that there are at least 20 Repub senators who hate Trump's fucking guts, but none of whom will have the balls or the integrity to vote to convict.

So here's my dream: Those 20-or-more Repub senators who hate Trump's fucking guts will conspire in secret, privately swearing a blood oath to one another that "I'll vote to convict if all of you do too". I dream that they're already planning this, very hush-hush among themselves, even as the House prepares to impeach.

And when the vote finally happens, and not until then, when the first Repub Senator votes "Guilty!", an audible gasp arises from all in attendance! And a second Repub senator votes "Guilty!" And a third! And thick and fast they came at last, "Guilty!", "Guilty!", "Guilty!" And when at last the vote is through, The Donald will stand as the First President Ever Impeached and Convicted and Removed From Office! There may be others later, but The Donald will forever be the FIRST!

I have even better dreams than Chronos! :smug:
You are my hero tonight! May God bless and keep you always - May your wishes all come true...
Old 12-24-2019, 12:49 AM
Suspended

I voted #2 but #1 is quite possible. (Sorry for the late vote; I've been sick.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Option not in the poll, Trump has a major coronary event. I believe this a real possibility.
I see more ways he might not survive the process. But that gets into "coup" territory. So I'll just mention non-fatal pre-trial possibilities.

# He cuts a deal: resign, with no ensuing prosecution for his crimes. Unlikely.
# Evidence of treason emerges; he takes sanctuary in Riyadh. Maybe.
# He FEARS such evidence is about to emerge, stages a WagTheDog horror event for distraction, declares martial law etc, and rounds up opponents. I hope not.
# He rips off his mask to reveal the ET alien within. Right.

And then there's:

# Some billionaire philanthropist bribes enough senators to convict.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:40 AM

I voted #4 with reservations about the verbiage

Trump is devastating the Republican party. It cannot survive another 4 years of Trump. But, the impeachment and trial presents an easy way out:

Resist greatly
Grudgingly agree to a trial that will expose Trumps guilt
Blame the Dems as traitorous tormentors of a maligned President
Remove Trump from office by one vote
Loudly condemn the removal and have Pence pardon Trump
Dump Pence and run Romney or Haley in 2020
Old 12-24-2019, 10:45 AM

RR,

He could fake a heart attack and resign while being treated by a private physician in Trump Tower.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
The Chief Justice presides over an impeachment trial, but a trial doesn't occur if the court Senate dismisses the charges before trial.

The same clause of the Constitution that has the Chief Justice preside over presidential trials gives the Senate the sole power to try impeachment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Const. Art I, Sec. 3
The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath or affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two thirds of the members present.
Not duty, power. If the founders meant duty, they could have said "The Senate alone shall try all impeachments" or the like. Arguably, any power or right can be waived.

Note that I don't agree with the Senate doing this, but doing so would IMHO involve less violence to the language of the Constitution than refusing to exercise advice and consent for Supreme Court appointments within the last year of a presidency.