View Poll Results: Which candidate is most likeable and charismatic?
Bennett 0 0%
Biden 8 9.09%
Bloomberg 0 0%
Booker 10 11.36%
Buttigieg 33 37.50%
Castro 0 0%
Delaney 0 0%
Gabbard 3 3.41%
Klobuchar 1 1.14%
Patrick 0 0%
Sanders 8 9.09%
Steyer 0 0%
Warren 13 14.77%
Williamson 2 2.27%
Yang 10 11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Which Democratic Candidate is the most likeable and charismatic

Itís my contention that, in a two horse race, likability and charisma are literally the only things that matter. Nothing else, not facts, policies, experience, background, or anything else, are remotely important. So, with that in mind, Iím curious to see who you think is the most charismatic candidate. Please, please, please donít let any preconceptions about a candidateís policies cloud your vote. Pretend they all stand for exactly the same things. Iím only interested in your gut reaction to each candidate.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM

No contest: Pete Buttigieg.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Booker, IMO. I think he's the most talented communicator, and best on camera, of the current candidates.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-09-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Booker is a close second to Buttegieg. Booker has that sharp, polished, useless feel about him. He waxes poetically for a little too long without enough substance. He's the guy you want as your graduation/motivational speaker, not your president.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Booker is a close second to Buttegieg. Booker has that sharp, polished, useless feel about him. He waxes poetically for a little too long without enough substance. He's the guy you want as your graduation/motivational speaker, not your president.
Booker's not my top choice, but he's in my 2nd tier, because I think he's the most naturally talented of the candidates. I don't dislike Buttigieg, and he's obviously very sharp, but I think Booker comes across as a lot more likable on camera. But obviously this is just down to personal preference.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Booker's not my top choice, but he's in my 2nd tier, because I think he's the most naturally talented of the candidates. I don't dislike Buttigieg, and he's obviously very sharp, but I think Booker comes across as a lot more likable on camera. But obviously this is just down to personal preference.
Ditto. Buttigieg seems plastic and robotic to me. And he doesn't really say anything.

Booker is pleasant and intelligent. I voted for Warren because she appeals to me. Not in a personal, warm and cuddly kind of way, but more in her mind chimes more with mine and that's appealing to me.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Biden and Yang are the two I think would be fun to have a drink with.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Likeable as a person but not necessarily as a candidate? Id say Yang. The person I'd "most like to have a beer with" is rarely, if ever, the person I'd want to be Commander-in-Chief.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Close between Buttigieg and Booker. I went with Booker because I am more familiar with his persona/presentation, to allow for the fact that Buttigieg hasn't been prominent long enough to be judged charismatic, as opposed to just new.

I don't want to have a beer with the President. I want him or her to run the country in ways that I agree with. Charisma comes into play because a given candidate can inspire and attract people to get behind running the country in ways that I agree with.

All politicians, and all successful public figures, have a public persona. Whether or not that public persona is close to what they "really are" I care very little about. If I ever met a politician, no doubt they would present me with the same persona, just the "in person" persona, that they assume when meeting with the public. Is that hypocritical? Of course not - everyone is different with people they don't know vs. actual friends, and at work vs. relaxing. And a candidate, at least a successful one, is always "at work" when meeting with the public.

Reagan was very charismatic, and apparently the only person he was really close to was Nancy. He was rather distant even with his kids. Trump can apparently be engaging one-on-one or close to it. Clinton was a schmoozer with everybody - he is IMO the closest President I can think of whose public face was the same all the time. That's because so much of his self-image was caught up in being liked, which he defined to himself as being re-elected. Obama was a community organizer. He had to develop the ability to get strangers to like him and work with him.

Likability is a great thing if it helps you get elected, and helps you get your policies enacted. But I can be 100% convinced that he is a wonderful guy, sincerely wants what's best for me and the country, and still vote for Reagan instead of Carter.

Charisma is a means to an end, and the end is good governance. If a candidate is dedicated to the things I want, I could not care less if he has a stick up his butt or is boring at parties or whatever.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-09-2019, 06:55 PM

Booker narrowly edging out Buttigieg for me. Either one of them would absolutely massacre Trump one-on-one in a debate, particularly given the contrast between their youth and vitality and his age and infirmity.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Boot edge edge.

Sanders has a charisma due to being authentic, but that probably wouldn't help him in a debate.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Boot edge edge.
Itís ďbooty judgeĒ. (And my vote, too)
Old 12-10-2019, 12:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
No contest: Pete Buttigieg.
Weasel pete is really appealing to you 45+ year old centrists isn't he?

Sanders is by far the most charismatic and likeable, but that would kill you to admit wouldnt it?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama View Post

Sanders is by far the most charismatic and likeable, but that would kill you to admit wouldnt it?
Itís an anonymous poll

Weíre not here to critique each otherís choices. There are no wrong answers to this question.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:48 AM

To me, Gabbard is the most likable. Or perhaps I should say, least unlikable. The rest all make my skin crawl. But I'm a died in the wool conservative, so my vote probably doesn't mean much.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:

Dear Leader...
Old 12-10-2019, 05:36 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:

I just want to point out that this is completely ludicrous. I'm active in party politics here in South Carolina and have met both several times - both this time and in 2016 for Sanders.

To say Sanders has charisma is just flat out wrong. There is, literally, nothing likeable about the man and his presentation. His entire approach is about appealing to outrage and fairness. That's fine, and a perfectly good focus for a campaign.

But to say it's charismatic? He comes across as a bitter, bent over old man. There's nothing there that would make anyone want to spend any time with him or to follow him.

Buttigieg does have some of that charisma. He's having trouble communicating it sometimes because he does come off as focus-grouped. But it's there.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:55 AM

Yang is the only correct answer.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Sanders has a charisma due to being authentic
Quote:
Sanders is by far the most charismatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
To me, Gabbard is the most likable.
I feel like I woke up in a netherworld in which Dan Quayle won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his groundbreaking work in creating a coffee table book for fly-over country titled "Talkin' Tubers".

WTF are you all smoking? And can i get some? Bernie Sanders is about the **least** charismatic Presidential candidate in recent memory. He's a loud mouth, cranky, asshole who really has no sense of humor or sense of his own relevance.

And fucking **GABBARD**???? All i have to say is Tim Mortiss would find it much easier to deadpan over text. I'd believe that before taking him seriously. She is a psychotic paratrooper from the future programmed to hunt and kill the future savior of the country. She's The Warrenator. Give me a break. She's about as likeable as a tailpipe.

As far as BootyJudge goes, he was likeable until he turned into Evil BootyJudge. He's smarmy, aggressive, and dickish now imho. He's like.Stan and Kyle from South Park when they were visited by "opposite" Stan and "opposite" kyle. The opposite versions were evil and they were identifiable from the good guys by their stubble. If Buttigieg stsrts donning a five o'clock shadow, im freaking the fuck out.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Sanders I agree, his likeability has mainly to do with authenticity, which really isn't the same thing. Gabbard and Buttigieg however I do think are likeable, while recognizing that they both have other issues, to put it mildly in Gabbard's case.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
But I'm a died in the wool conservative
I believe you meant "dyed in the wool", unless of course you're a dead sheep.

Marginally, I said Biden. But Castro seems like a nice guy. I find Warren and Sanders to be too screechy and too arrogant- they're like "I've got it all figured out, no need to worry about what you might think".

Pete may seem nice, but seriously it would be best if he spent some time in Washington first.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:20 AM

The Castro brothers have really showed their ass in this campaign. I used to think they were sorta likeable if nonentities, now I think they are snakes, between Joaquin's attempt to instigate people against Trump donors and Julian's ham handed attack on Biden's age in a debate that went very badly for him.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
I'd chill with Yang.

Biden would knock over the bong and bump into the phonograph player.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 AM

I wouldn't even say Pete is particularly charismatic. He's not Bill Clinton or Barack Obama who carried a celebrity aura about them. Those two can captivate an audience on the day job of politics but then joke around on a late night show or sit down interview. Pete is more like Jimmy Carter. He has that folksy demeanour that makes him come across relatable to crowds. Carter was never seen as an enlightening or profound orator but he was an earnest and excellent campaigner who did the work to go from obscurity to frontrunner to president which after Watergate people liked.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Pete's got charisma but that super X factor is rare and there's actually been more candidates with that X factor in the last few decades than there should be. Democrats just got lucky three times since 1960. They shouldn't expect that to be a common thing going forward.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Likeable as a person but not necessarily as a candidate? Id say Yang. The person I'd "most like to have a beer with" is rarely, if ever, the person I'd want to be Commander-in-Chief.
And yet the American public tends to select the more "have a beer with this guy" repeatedl. Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama were all experts in seeming relatable and chummy. While H.W. and Trump aren't really "that guy," they both ran against opponents that, no matter their qualifications or beliefs, seemed personally off-putting.

Yang does seem to be the most personable of the Democratic field, followed by Booker and Buttgieg (when Buttgieg isn't getting preachy, which he occasionally does,) he's way too out there. There's a certain Biden-line of personal charisma that the Democratic nominee should probably be at or above. No matter your opinions on the beliefs and suitability of Warren, Williamson or Sanders, they come off a little bit as either aliens or overly schoolmarmish (both in the case of Sanders, IMHO.)
Old 12-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Warren does have a kind of weird charisma when she's totally off the cuff. She's only average at scripted speeches and events, but when she's just having fun she's infectious and shockingly energetic for her age.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:18 PM

If it's all about charisma, the Dems need to nominate Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. As a bonus, he could whip Putin's ass and/or win a shirtless pose down contest.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Warren does have a kind of weird charisma when she's totally off the cuff. She's only average at scripted speeches and events, but when she's just having fun she's infectious and shockingly energetic for her age.
This is, believe it or not, also true of Hillary Clinton. She was always stiff and calculating but totally fun when the cameras were off and she didn't feel watched.

The two of them really did make a perfect extrovert/introvert couple.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
I feel like I woke up in a netherworld in which Dan Quayle won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his groundbreaking work in creating a coffee table book for fly-over country titled "Talkin' Tubers".

WTF are you all smoking? And can i get some? Bernie Sanders is about the **least** charismatic Presidential candidate in recent memory. He's a loud mouth, cranky, asshole who really has no sense of humor or sense of his own relevance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I just want to point out that this is completely ludicrous. I'm active in party politics here in South Carolina and have met both several times - both this time and in 2016 for Sanders.

To say Sanders has charisma is just flat out wrong. There is, literally, nothing likeable about the man and his presentation. His entire approach is about appealing to outrage and fairness. That's fine, and a perfectly good focus for a campaign.

But to say it's charismatic? He comes across as a bitter, bent over old man. There's nothing there that would make anyone want to spend any time with him or to follow him.
I think you guys are equating your personal dislike for Sanders with assuming he isn't charismatic. I get the impression some democrats blame Sanders for Clinton losing in 2016, and I think that skews people's perception of him (I don't see how Sander is responsible, most of his voters voted for Clinton in the general).

Anyway, yes Sanders is charismatic. He speaks fluently in the language of morality, and about the evils of oligarchy. He has been consistent his entire life on his views about the dangers of oligarchy, it is just that society has changed to match his views in recent times (Kucinich got nowhere in 2004).

The definition of charisma is "a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure" which describes Sanders well. His consistency in his beliefs about the dangers of oligarchy make him a very popular politician.

Perhaps other people are talking about charisma in the sense of a non-threatening charm like Obama had. In that regard yeah Sanders doesn't have that. But Sanders does inspire a lot of respect and adulation from people who agree with his message.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 PM

I suggest watching Buttigieg's appearances on Stephen Colbert's show. He comes across more natural there than at campaign events.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Sanders, and I don't know that it's even close. America's granddad.

I am puzzled at people picking Buttigieg. He's young, so I guess he's cute to somebody, but I don't think he's actually particularly likeable. I think several of the candidates are more likeable than he.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
Yeah, I can see this. Like, I'm not sure I trust them enough to make them dogcatcher, but I like them.

Obviously, I don't think that kind of "like" can override all other measures for picking someone in authority.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
I am puzzled at people picking Buttigieg. He's young, so I guess he's cute to somebody, but I don't think he's actually particularly likeable. I think several of the candidates are more likeable than he.
That may be too polite. I don't find Pete trustworthy enough or friendly enough to even be likeable. He's a cold little businesscritter.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To me, Gabbard is the most likable. Or perhaps I should say, least unlikable.
Yeah, she seems nice. I think her self-awareness & intelligence are question marks, but she projects an apparently earnest patriotism which is endearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
that super X factor is rare and there's actually been more candidates with that X factor in the last few decades than there should be. Democrats just got lucky three times since 1960. They shouldn't expect that to be a common thing going forward.
"Define your expectations down." LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I. View Post
No matter your opinions on the beliefs and suitability of Warren, Williamson or Sanders, they come off a little bit as either aliens or overly schoolmarmish (both in the case of Sanders, IMHO.)
Ah, I see the problem. I actually kind of like Marianne Williamson & her spacy wine mom persona. People are different.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I think you guys are equating your personal dislike for Sanders with assuming he isn't charismatic. I get the impression some democrats blame Sanders for Clinton losing in 2016, and I think that skews people's perception of him (I don't see how Sander is responsible, most of his voters voted for Clinton in the general).

Anyway, yes Sanders is charismatic. He speaks fluently in the language of morality, and about the evils of oligarchy. He has been consistent his entire life on his views about the dangers of oligarchy, it is just that society has changed to match his views in recent times (Kucinich got nowhere in 2004).

The definition of charisma is "a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasm for a public figure" which describes Sanders well. His consistency in his beliefs about the dangers of oligarchy make him a very popular politician.

Perhaps other people are talking about charisma in the sense of a non-threatening charm like Obama had. In that regard yeah Sanders doesn't have that. But Sanders does inspire a lot of respect and adulation from people who agree with his message.
Sanders certainly has _something_ when it comes to motivating his followers and hyping up crowds. I'm not saying "charisma" is the WRONG word for it, necessarily, but I think there are also a fair number of aspects of what I would describe as "charisma" that he doesn't have. (This is not meant as a dig at him, I have huge amounts of respect for his integrity and ideas).

In particular, I find it a bit hard to imagine someone who started out actively disliking Bernie and disagreeing with his ideas going to a Bernie rally or speech and just getting sucked in by the mesmerising force of Bernie's personality, or his soaring oratory, or anything of that sort.

Bernie's appeal is in some sense like Trump's, but without all the evil and stupidity. He is very good at tapping into the disaffection that so many feel towards the government at present. Aside from that one very specific area, though, I would put him around the middle of the pack, charisma-wise.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post

Buttigieg does have some of that charisma. He's having trouble communicating it sometimes because he does come off as focus-grouped. But it's there.
That sounds like a personal opinion, how about we get fact based.

Definition: char∑is∑mat∑ic
/ˌkerəzˈmadik/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
exercising a compelling charm which inspires devotion in others.

Notice the first definition, compelling charm which inspires devotion in others. Are you going to sit here and tell me Sanders has not inspired people especially young voters to be devoted to him because of his character and substance? He by definition is charismatic, and if we look at the facts the guy has pulled more right wing, independent, and non-voter votes than any other candidate, and even had thousands of his own supporters go "bernie or bust" because they were so devoted to his ideas and policies they refused to break their principle by voting for a monster like Hillary or Trump.

Bernie Sanders, is charismatic if not the MOST charismatic candidate.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:53 PM
SDSAB

I've met Booker and Klobuchar and heard both speak (also Harris, but she's gone); I've heard Mayor Pete and Elizabeth Warren speak in person but didn't meet either of them. Of the five, I'd give Booker top marks. Personable, energetic and gives a good speech.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:16 PM

I'm torn between Yang and Buttigieg. If all I saw of Yang were his debate performances, I'd think he's horribly uncharismatic, but in the interviews I've seen where it's just him and an interviewer or two, he comes across as a charming, intelligent buy who doesn't take himself too seriously. Buttigieg comes across as far more polished, as other people have mentioned, but I think in comparison to the other candidates, he does a great job of coming across as gracious, tactful, and engaging. Many candidates come across as preachy or angry or hateful or self-righteous -- not all the time, but they have their moments, and Buttigieg hasn't had any of those moments that I can tell. (I don't think Biden has come across as any of those things. I just think Biden's not engaging.)
Old 12-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Many candidates come across as preachy or angry or hateful or self-righteous -- not all the time, but they have their moments, and Buttigieg hasn't had any of those moments that I can tell.
During the October debates, when he was sparring with Beto, he came off as pretty darn preachy to my ears. Your mileage may vary, of course, and it's entirely possible that Beto just brings out the worst in his interlocutors.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:29 AM

It's Buttigieg hands down. After this nonsense is over he should get a TV show. And not some waste of time political commentary on MSNBCNN, daytime talk will be his thing.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:28 PM

After watching Yang's whipped cream video clip, I rank his charisma waaaaaaaay low. It was goofy stunt, but he got too much into it and creeped me out by the end. I was with that staffer that had to physically pull him away. Before I didn't see a lot of charisma. He certainly didn't appeal to me. I thought of him mostly as just another rich guy trying to buy his way in, but that video revealed a kind of obsessiveness that was ooky.

I like Bernie's ideas, but he, too, is not charismatic for me. I don't like his hectoring, finger-pointing, grandpa giving you a lecture tone. It turns me off, and I turn the channel.

Gaddard is vaguely Stepfordy.

Booker is actually the one who I like more the more I see him speak. He's smart without being a smarty-pants (oooo, look at me, I'm a billionaire kind of smarty pants), and I think he's put his money where is mouth is personally. I like that.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:00 PM

After watching Yang's whipped cream video clip, I rank his charisma waaaaaaaay low. It was goofy stunt, but he got too much into it and creeped me out by the end. I was with that staffer that had to physically pull him away. Before I didn't see a lot of charisma. He certainly didn't appeal to me. I thought of him mostly as just another rich guy trying to buy his way in, but that video revealed a kind of obsessiveness that was ooky.

I like Bernie's ideas, but he, too, is not charismatic for me. I don't like his hectoring, finger-pointing, grandpa giving you a lecture tone. It turns me off, and I turn the channel.

Gaddard is vaguely Stepfordy.

Booker is actually the one who I like more the more I see him speak. He's smart without being a smarty-pants (oooo, look at me, I'm a billionaire kind of smarty pants), and I think he's put his money where is mouth is personally. I like that.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:43 PM

I’m going with Buttigieg. The 2016 version of Biden would have beat out Buttigieg but I think he’s lost a few steps since then. Sanders comes across as being perpetually angry. I see very little charisma in him and rank him last among the choices presented.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 12-21-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:53 PM

Pete and Cory are the most likeable (as most say)

Warren reminds me of the old spinster that brings stale fruitcake to the family gathering.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:55 AM

Buttigieg has an unsavory CV. He's a snake.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:09 PM

Voting (in this poll) for Pete.
Booker always seems to be over-acting. Just doesn't seem to me to be sincere, more like he's trying to convince you he's sincere.
Warren does OK, has a spunkiness to her but I find her voice a little unpleasant.
Sanders now seems like he's doing a bad Larry David impersonation when I see him.
Klobuchar is relate-able for me, seems like a lot of women I've known.
I like Yang. Close second to Pete on likability. Not on policy, just "like to have a beer with"

Will vote for anyone on that list vs. Trump. Williamson and especially Gabbard would be tough for me to vote for but not because of their likability or lack thereof.

Last edited by River Hippie; 12-28-2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Poll is closed, not voting for anyone.