Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 19,109

What's going on in the "key" states?


Is there any reason to think the 2020 presidential election will be determined by anything other than the outcome in a very limited number (3-7?) of key states? Traditionally blue or purple states which Trump narrowly won? Like WI/MI/OH?

If you agree with me, what do you think are the key states?

And what is your understanding of how things stand in those states?
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #2  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:02 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,255
My fear is the brain drain has hit WI/MI/PA hard along with OH and MN. The strong economy has led to an exodus of younger people and/or educated people.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #3  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,216
Here in NC the economy is booming in the major metropolitan areas, a constant stream of people are moving in. Rural areas are doing badly and losing jobs and population. Obama won here in 2008 but not in 2012. Trump won in 2016 despite Clinton spending a lot of time here.
  #4  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,959
I think the states that we can't yet color in are:
WI, MI, OH, PA, NC, FL, and AZ. Also one CD in NE.

I think MI is in the blue column, judging by the 2018 results and how I'm seeing things right here.
OH stays red, because Ohio is a bit behind Michigan in most things.
WI goes blue, also based on midterms
FL stays red, based on Dem failures in the midterms.

This leaves us with AZ and NC. I think the parties split these states, I'll give AZ to the Dems and NC to the GOP.

My map has D 290 R 248
  #5  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I think the states that we can't yet color in are:
WI, MI, OH, PA, NC, FL, and AZ. Also one CD in NE.

I think MI is in the blue column, judging by the 2018 results and how I'm seeing things right here.
OH stays red, because Ohio is a bit behind Michigan in most things.
WI goes blue, also based on midterms
FL stays red, based on Dem failures in the midterms.

This leaves us with AZ and NC. I think the parties split these states, I'll give AZ to the Dems and NC to the GOP.

My map has D 290 R 248
Iowa as well. Obviously itís getting tons of attention from Democrats because of the caucus but Trumpís trade war has been hell for farmers. 2019 was the craziest year for grain prices since the 2012 drought and heat and most farmers wonít blame a president for that. For a stupid trade war, they will.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #6  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:47 PM
D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Iowa as well. Obviously itís getting tons of attention from Democrats because of the caucus but Trumpís trade war has been hell for farmers. 2019 was the craziest year for grain prices since the 2012 drought and heat and most farmers wonít blame a president for that. For a stupid trade war, they will.
Corn prices have been relatively stable since 2014 or so. Nothing to do with "Trump's trade war".

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...012_31.12.2019
  #7  
Old 01-02-2020, 03:05 PM
dalej42 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Corn prices have been relatively stable since 2014 or so. Nothing to do with "Trump's trade war".

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...012_31.12.2019
I worked in commodities trading up until this fall. The grains have not been stable with China being smart enough to strategically target parts of the USA that would hurt Trump. Yes, some of the volatility can be blamed on the endless rain delaying planting season in 2019 but most of it was driven by Trump.
__________________
Twitter:@Stardales IG:@Dalej42
  #8  
Old 01-02-2020, 03:15 PM
RioRico is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 1,377
Swayable voters in "key" states matter; everyone else, not so much. California and New York are targets of cash-raising, not campaigning. Voters in small states are worth more electorally than those in states where most people live - Rhode Islanders' votes have more impact than Texans'. Does this make most Americans feel irrelevant? No surprise.
  #9  
Old 01-03-2020, 01:26 AM
D'Anconia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I worked in commodities trading up until this fall. The grains have not been stable with China being smart enough to strategically target parts of the USA that would hurt Trump. Yes, some of the volatility can be blamed on the endless rain delaying planting season in 2019 but most of it was driven by Trump.
There may have been more price volatility in 2019, but the overall price level hasn't changed much in the last five or six years.
  #10  
Old 01-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,216
I should have added I don't see Trump losing here in NC .
  #11  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:15 AM
Red Wiggler is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I should have added I don't see Trump losing here in NC .
The margin between Republican and Democratic total votes in last year's midterms was 74,000 votes out of 3.3 million cast, or about 2%. So a wave could carry your state but I agree with you that the demographics just aren't there yet.

One political observer noted recently that the Dem deficit was falling the fastest in Texas, where it was biggest, and slowest in NC, where it was smallest. Both trends are difficult for my impatient ass to deal with.
  #12  
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 27,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Corn prices have been relatively stable since 2014 or so. Nothing to do with "Trump's trade war".

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...012_31.12.2019
Take a look at soybean prices.
  #13  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Sterling Archer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,199

What's going on in the "key" states?


I don’t see the map changing a lot from 2016. Everything stays the same but the following swing states are in play: OH, PA, WI, MI. Of those, my guess would be Ohio and Wisconsin will go red.

This result would give Trump the win with exactly 270 electoral votes. Yikes.

Last edited by Sterling Archer; 01-03-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017