Old 12-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga Marole View Post
You can stick your warning where the sun don't shine. If you think that you can speak to another human being by saying "knock it off. Now." and they will just cower - then you're out of your mind.

Learn some manners and how to speak with dignity. It's called diplomacy - and it's an essential component in dealing with people.
Indeed it is. And so is following the rules of the Straight Dope Message Board.

This, and the absolutely baffling Adolf Stalin comment, have earned you another warning. Your ability to post here is now in jeopardy.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your computer may be infected with a virus because I said, revolution la 1960's.
Um, OK. So if "banana republic" means "social upheaval of the sort that we saw in the 1960s", then, yeah, I can possibly see that happening again in my lifetime.

This is what, the 6th tortuously-redefined definition of the term?

And "revolution was in the air" only among a certain segment of the young. There was no thought, discussion, or action for "revolution" on behalf of the people over 30 who were actually the ones in control of the military-industrial-entertainment complex. Those are the people who have to start talking revolution for it to actually take place, and, trust me, they weren't. In response, they elected Richard Nixon.

Twice.

Last edited by JohnT; 12-30-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by JohnT; 12-30-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Indeed it is. And so is following the rules of the Straight Dope Message Board.

This, and the absolutely baffling Adolf Stalin comment, have earned you another warning. Your ability to post here is now in jeopardy.

Only a warning!? Holy shit! I misjudged you completely. From now on you're the boss. I was certain you'd can me. I mean, whether you agree (or not) that I've been the innocent party up until now I think I deserved to get a permanent ban for those last two posts of mine.

It turns out that you're a much better man than I could have imagined - and my hat is off to you.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Only a warning!? Holy shit! I misjudged you completely. From now on you're the boss. I was certain you'd can me. I mean, whether you agree (or not) that I've been the innocent party up until now I think I deserved to get a permanent ban for those last two posts of mine.

It turns out that you're a much better man than I could have imagined - and my hat is off to you.
See ya. It's been...interesting.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Um, OK. So if "banana republic" means "social upheaval of the sort that we saw in the 1960s", then, yeah, I can possibly see that happening again in my lifetime.

This is what, the 6th tortuously-redefined definition of the term?

And "revolution was in the air" only among a certain segment of the young. There was no thought, discussion, or action for "revolution" on behalf of the people over 30 who were actually the ones in control of the military-industrial-entertainment complex. Those are the people who have to start talking revolution for it to actually take place, and, trust me, they weren't. In response, they elected Richard Nixon.

Twice.
I only mean that a change was in progress during the 60's and it was a serious one. And yes, revolution was in the air but I think it went deeper than you say it did. I'm sure the White House was on pins and needles over the protest marches and the counter-protesters thinking that we were somehow desecrating the memory of the already dead. Those people just didn't get that we were protesting for the benefit of the dead .... in their honour so to speak, from our own experience. After all, we were there when their sons took their last breath. But that's not the point or the issue. The issue is that with all of that happening at once the government must have felt the strain. And Nixon didn't take flight only because of Water Gate. There was much more to it.

But as far as I can tell the U.S. was reaching the same sort of level of concern with the Bush Jr. regime and it seemed (ooops!) to be growing. Veterans of the Irak thing were coming home with the same stories and dismay as we did in the 60's. Irak Vets were also organizing "Against the War" too.

Nixon was just another man in line with the Vietnam thing with Kennedy and Johnson before him. Bush Jr. was the herald to Irak but even in that short span of time Americans were getting wise.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Well, it's not like you brought much to the argument fact-wise. Sorry you had to flame-out like this, but to tell the truth I always have my doubts about newbies who, 3 days into their membership, understand the report post function better than I do.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I only mean that a change was in progress during the 60's and it was a serious one. And yes, revolution was in the air but I think it went deeper than you say it did. I'm sure the White House was on pins and needles over the protest marches and the counter-protesters thinking that we were somehow desecrating the memory of the already dead. Those people just didn't get that we were protesting for the benefit of the dead .... in their honour so to speak, from our own experience. After all, we were there when their sons took their last breath. But that's not the point or the issue. The issue is that with all of that happening at once the government must have felt the strain. And Nixon didn't take flight only because of Water Gate. There was much more to it.

But as far as I can tell the U.S. was reaching the same sort of level of concern with the Bush Jr. regime and it seemed (ooops!) to be growing. Veterans of the Irak thing were coming home with the same stories and dismay as we did in the 60's. Irak Vets were also organizing "Against the War" too.

Nixon was just another man in line with the Vietnam thing with Kennedy and Johnson before him. Bush Jr. was the herald to Irak but even in that short span of time Americans were getting wise.
Even if we accept the above as being true (), how does this equate to the US becoming a banana republic? Can you name some banana republics that have followed a similar trajectory as the above?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Even if we accept the above as being true (), how does this equate to the US becoming a banana republic? Can you name some banana republics that have followed a similar trajectory as the above?
There is no one definition of a Banana Republic. Only popular usage and obscure prejudiced add-ons. Unrest. Turmoil. Violent dissatisfaction at the citizenry level. The glaring point against it applying to the U.S. is the single resource theory. Other than that it is not impossible that it could, depending upon developments, fit the description.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
There is no one definition of a Banana Republic. Only popular usage and obscure prejudiced add-ons. Unrest. Turmoil. Violent dissatisfaction at the citizenry level. The glaring point against it applying to the U.S. is the single resource theory. Other than that it is not impossible that it could, depending upon developments, fit the description.
As has been pointed out several times, there are definitions of what a banana republic actually is. But that's not what I'm asking you. Can you define some countries who are banana republics (in your opinion naturally) that have followed similar trajectory to our supposed near rebellions in the '60's and during Bush II's reign of terror?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
There is no one definition of a Banana Republic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
As has been pointed out several times, there are definitions of what a banana republic actually is. ...
So you agree.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You don't think the U.S. population is nearer to upheaval lately? Bush's WMD hoax, the invasion of Irak, the lie of proof, the cover-ups, the question of Obama's birth and his popularity, the economic crash, the Wall Street uprising? It doesn't seem (oooops!) that a coup or revolution la 1960's is possible?
It was not possible then.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
So you agree.
Um, no...you seem to be making the case that there is no agreed upon definitions of banana republic, so that you can then basically make up your own. That's simply not true. There are, of course, multiple agreed upon definitions (several have been cited in this thread so far), but because there are multiple definitions does not give you (or the others doing similar things in this thread) a free hand in torturing those definitions, twisting them or simply making up your own.

Regardless, you didn't answer the question I actually asked you, instead continuing the digression. Can you define some countries that followed similar trajectories to the US during the '60s and mid-2000's who are banana republics? If you can't, that's fine...you could just admit you are playing with the definition in order to make it conform to the answer you already pre-selected, namely that the US is a banana republic and you are just groping for anything you can use as a proof to make it so.

ETA: Oh, I see this poster has now been BANNED. So, I guess I won't hold my breath for a reply.

Last edited by XT; 12-30-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM

What a shame...
Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Well, it's not like you brought much to the argument fact-wise. Sorry you had to flame-out like this, but to tell the truth I always have my doubts about newbies who, 3 days into their membership, understand the report post function better than I do.
Not to mention those who average 28 posts a day.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

His flame burned bright, but not long, and when it ended, it ended in silence. Like lighting a fart.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Clears His Throat

OK, that's enough. I'll leave this open as there remains a remote possibility of a real debate. But let's not spend a lot of thought-power making fun of the banned guy. There's no point to it.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM

I will put forth the emancipation of pot today in Colorado as further proof that we as a society are slowly becoming more free and liberal despite some steps back.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

It was yesterday, but if you're a citizen of CO, we understand...

Last edited by JohnT; 01-02-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
I will put forth the emancipation of pot today in Colorado as further proof that we as a society are slowly becoming more free and liberal despite some steps back.
Oh, the oligarchs are allowing the peasants to use an incredibly mild euphoric, truly we are a free society now!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 PM

We're freer than we were a few days ago, no?
Old 12-12-2017, 01:27 AM

ALABAMA HAS THE WORST POVERTY IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD, U.N. OFFICIAL SAYS

Maybe not a Banana Republic, but it's starting to look 3rd world.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:44 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyJack View Post
ALABAMA HAS THE WORST POVERTY IN THE DEVELOPED WORLD, U.N. OFFICIAL SAYS

Maybe not a Banana Republic, but it's starting to look 3rd world.
Starting?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

This is a zombie thread, and the original article cited doesn't seem to be posted any more.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

The latest link works for me. It's a NYU professor touring the US looking for poverty, which he defines as
Quote:
the percentage of people earning less than half the national median income
which is an interesting way of putting it.

It's an opinion piece against the latest tax bill. How it shows that the US is becoming a banana republic is not clear.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-11-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I think about this thread from time to time...

Mea culpa.

Dataguy, you were right. Congratulations, I think.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-11-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

So, gentle reader from the year 2013, please, sit. Don't read this standing, OK?

The reason for my change is simple: On Twitter, the #1 communication platform of the connected and intelligentsia, Independent (formerly Republican) Congressman Justin Amash (MI) said this about impeached President Donald Trump:

Quote:
He sells troops.

“We have a very good relationship with Saudi Arabia—I said, listen, you’re a very rich country. You want more troops? I’m going to send them to you, but you’ve got to pay us. They’re paying us. They’ve already deposited $1B in the bank.”
https://t.co/rc1f7heyCP

Ok, I get it. There's a lot of questions. "Twitter? Selling troops? President Trump? Justin Amash, an independent? What 'bank'? Doesn't that sound like an extortion attempt? Wait... 'impeached'? Why is he still President?"

Yeah, like I said, a lot to process. Let's just say that Riga Morale and Dataguy may have been wrong in their specifics, but they were right as to the political and moral turn this country was taking, while I... I was the exact opposite.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-11-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 AM

Don't be silly. Banana republics buy troops.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Damn. Got me.

Never mind, reader from 2013, the US is doing just fine!
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

Banana Republic

Let's see if I can remember how it was described when I was in school a very long time ago:

A Banana Republic is a country with great economic disparity that is ruled by families whose primary interest is their personnel wealth and perpetuating their time in office. The economy and political system of a Banana Republic is funded by US corporations in exchange for no regulation, low taxes and cheap labor. The leadership of such countries is characterized as ignorant, pompous and removed from reality.

Well gee.....I'd say we are working on it.