Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:16 AM

Yep. They lost to Trump. The voters who were invisible to the polls blindsided everyone. This is not a blame thing.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 AM

Where did they go wrong? Besides all the good and thoughful comments made above, they apparently didn't "Get Out the Vote.

Right now on the NYT site Hillary has a small total National vote lead of about 30,000 votes, and once California is fanla counted, that will probably grow. But it is still only 58.875 million votes; in contrast Obama got 65.9 Million votes in 2012 (Rommey got 60.9). So even discounting the 3rd party candidates, that's 7 million voters that came out for Obama and not for Clinton. Put them (hell, half of them) in Hillary's column and she easily sweeps into the White House.

So the votes that supposedly were going to be plucked by the 'superior' Democratic GOTV action...didn't. Weak candidate, message not well-communicated, any number of reasons...but the upshot is the Dems didn't get their vote out and it cost them.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Where did they go wrong? Besides all the good and thoughful comments made above, they apparently didn't "Get Out the Vote.

Right now on the NYT site Hillary has a small total National vote lead of about 30,000 votes, and once California is fanla counted, that will probably grow. But it is still only 58.875 million votes; in contrast Obama got 65.9 Million votes in 2012 (Rommey got 60.9). So even discounting the 3rd party candidates, that's 7 million voters that came out for Obama and not for Clinton. Put them (hell, half of them) in Hillary's column and she easily sweeps into the White House.

So the votes that supposedly were going to be plucked by the 'superior' Democratic GOTV action...didn't. Weak candidate, message not well-communicated, any number of reasons...but the upshot is the Dems didn't get their vote out and it cost them.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
Again, it probably didn't account for all 7 million, but the Voter Rights Act was gutted in 2013 which had a substantial effect (but we don't know exactly how substantial) on minority turnout.

Though it's also clear that Hillary had massive enthusiasm problems, that's not in dispute.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
Where did the Democrats go wrong? Well, I think their main mistake was forgetting that these days, politics isn't seen as Serious Business. It's consumed as entertainment, where people root for their party like they root for their football team.
Yes... if you read the YouTube comments on the debates, the highly-upvoted comments were overwhelmingly in favor of Trump (with just a handful of "man I can't believe these are our choices!"-type comments), declaring him as having crushed Hillary in the debates. Yet if you read liberal news outlets or the SDMB, they somehow declared Hillary as the "winner" of the debates. It's this disconnect between what's seen as smart/sensible/logical by the educated, and what's seen through the lens of the masses, which led to the Democrats' utterly delusional failure to grasp the reality of the situation.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 11-09-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:53 AM

Fine, fuck it then, Kanye West 2020 let's do this Dems.

Last edited by Jragon; 11-09-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Fine, fuck it then, Kanye West 2020 let's do this Dems.
That's not even a joke. He has declared that he will be running, and fully intends to follow through on it. And after tonight, I don't doubt that he can win.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
That's not even a joke. He has declared that he will be running, and fully intends to follow through on it. And after tonight, I don't doubt that he can win.
As the memelords say these days

this is fine

Last edited by Jragon; 11-09-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

It sure didn't help that democrats were voting for Trump in the primaries and then talking about it (even here). Those folks sure built up some karma that just has to hurt.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidchameleon View Post
It sure didn't help that democrats were voting for Trump in the primaries and then talking about it (even here). Those folks sure built up some karma that just has to hurt.
"Trump is the greatest gift to the Democrats" was a common sentiment - would love to see what some of those people have to say now.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post

<snip>

IMHO as always. YMMV.
I canvassed for Hillary just Tuesday morning (but not before). In my anecdotal experience, her CAMPAIGN did a great job -- super organized, efficiently made sure I knew exactly what to say and to whom -- BUT I was struck at how few volunteers like me there were at the local headquarters. So, another example of the lack of enthusiasm among regular folk -- folks inclined to vote for her, but not AMPED about it like they were for Obama.

So, yes, a GOTV problem, but not due directly to the campaign (e.g., inattention, or ineptitude, or lack of funding or planning). Indirectly, due to diminished enthusiasm and participation among the casual volunteers any successful campaign partly depends on.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 11-09-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I canvassed for Hillary just Tuesday morning (but not before). In my anecdotal experience, her CAMPAIGN did a great job -- super organized, efficiently made sure I knew exactly what to say and to whom -- BUT I was struck at how few volunteers like me there were at the local headquarters. So, another example of the lack of enthusiasm among regular folk -- folks inclined to vote for her, but not AMPED about it like they were for Obama.
Or you know, like they were AMPED for Bernie. The one who got away.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvor View Post
Stop it. They lost the presidency to Trump, and failed to take the Senate. It's a total cluster fuck and disaster.
Well, I know it is a catastrof. The most recent tally I saw showed her leading by over 100K. And you know who else rose to power without winning a majority (besides W, that is)?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, I know it is a catastrof. The most recent tally I saw showed her leading by over 100K. And you know who else rose to power without winning a majority (besides W, that is)?
Well, the popular vote is very close and we won't know for sure who had more until a few more days when everything is counted. But what we do know is that a very large percentage of votes went to the third-party libertarian candidate (you know, the party that wants to basically absolish the government entirely). Gary Johnson received over 4 million votes, which is more than double the number of votes that went to third-party candidates in 2012 combined. Those certainly aren't people who wanted a Democrat of any stripe.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Well, the popular vote is very close and we won't know for sure who had more until a few more days when everything is counted. But what we do know is that a very large percentage of votes went to the third-party libertarian candidate (you know, the party that wants to basically absolish the government entirely). Gary Johnson received over 4 million votes, which is more than double the number of votes that went to third-party candidates in 2012 combined. Those certainly aren't people who wanted a Democrat of any stripe.
The way I understand it, Johnson voters generally split evenly dem/pub when forced to. I certainly knew several Bernie diehards that went for Johnson over Clinton or Stein. Sorry, no cite, but I remember being kinda surprised to when I saw it mentioned.

Last edited by Jragon; 11-09-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:13 AM

Immigration.

People, even Latinos and especially African Americans, are fed up with the open borders policy. Trump was the only one who was going to change course.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Clutching Provocateur View Post
Immigration.

People, even Latinos and especially African Americans, are fed up with the open borders policy. Trump was the only one who was going to change course.
Are you high? Immigration has PLUNGED among Mexicans in the last eight years, and overall immigration is slower that it was under Bush. Also, deportations SKYROCKETED under Obama, along with border enforcement in general.

Please return to this conversation after the drugs wear off. Thanks.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 11-09-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Clutching Provocateur View Post
Immigration.

Not to mention total failure to address radical Islamic terrorism (the words Hillary and Obama "won't even say") and general Islamic apologism.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:25 AM

Four years ago, people here prepared a eulogy for the, Republican party, telling me how we needed to be more liberal, accept more liberal policies and just generally be Democrat lights (I can certainly bump that thread). Today, I see that much of the same people refuse to acknowledge that maybe Democrats' social and economic policies aren't just repugnant to a majority of people, but harmful to our nation.

...Lol, who am I kidding? Democrats obviously didn't win because of racism.

Last edited by Omg a Black Conservative; 11-09-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Your Ad Here
Charter Member

I think another interesting question, which of course we can never know the answer to, is would Senator Clinton have had a better chance than Former Secretary of State Clinton. Think about it. In the Senate, she could have worked to pass legislation and still maintained high visibility. No way to specifically tie her to the Obama administration's foreign policy. Definitely no controversial private email server. No speeches given to Wall Street. Instead, she would be running as a sitting senator, having comfortably won a third term.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:03 AM

So. No love for J. Edgar Comey?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:19 AM

Hillary lost because she and her followers made the mistake of attacking people who supported Trump. Called them stupid, racist and sexist. This action can shame people into shutting up, but it seems the libs don't understand what "secret" means in secret ballot. They tried to bully and shame people into voting their way. Old saying "A person convince against their will is of the same opinion still'. Now, one of two things is going to happen. The people who have been running things are either going to co-opt Trump into doing things pretty much the way things have always been done, or failing that, attempt to destroy his presidency, much like Carter's was wrecked. If you see Trump taking a lot of formal Washington insiders into his cabinet, then you assume #1. And as much as I dislike Hillary, I kind of hope Obama gives some kind of blanket pardon to her before he leaves office. Kind of like what Ford did for Nixon. Country doesn't need to be more split by endless investigations. And if she is guilty of stuff, live with it. Lots of people who are guilt of crimes walk free. Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner, in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is a joke, right? Some social issues, like marriage equality, have gone mainstream amazingly quickly. Meanwhile, Obama's avoidance of race-based approaches and statements has been astounding, for all eight years of his presidency.

As for SJWs, sometimes their tactics are counterproductive. But I don't see this as anything deeply tied to the Democratic Party.

The data might show that, had Obama/Hillary/the Dems acted "more black" (whatever that means), a better African-American turnout would have tipped the election to Clinton.
I guess not as mainstream as many of us dared to imagine, at least if I understand all my right-wing relatives who found it to be tedious political correctness run amok to assuage the feelings of a bunch of whiners.

I will be spending much less time in the presence of said relatives going forward.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Reports are leaking out that Clinton was too complacent. She thought Florida was a lock so she didn't campaign there the last couple of weeks. She did not visit Wisconsin once during the campaign. Trump was in Michigan talking about how trade agreements had destroyed the auto industry while MI Congresspeople had to beg Clinton to campaign there.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Are you high? Immigration has PLUNGED among Mexicans in the last eight years, and overall immigration is slower ...
Cite?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrutable View Post
Cite?
It is kind of a technicality: illegal immigration has declined, but not by a whole lot; and they are mestizos, crossing the Mexican border into the US, but it looks like the fraction that is Mexican is giving way to people from other Central American countries.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:46 AM

I feel strongly that the DP completely underestimated the economic concerns of middle America. Forget about the Comey e-mail issue...the Wells Fargo scandal resonated with far more people who view Wall Street traders and financial institutions as a problem. Rightly or wrongly, they saw Clinton as being in bed with the wrong groups of people. Economic inequality and the fragility of markets is a real thing to a lot of voters.

Immigration? It's basically an economic issue to many voters.

Here in NC, the Dem party chose to make "Repeal HB2" the big selling point on virtually all of their literature. While I strongly support repealing HB2, that's a pretty divisive issue to use as the linchpin for a campaign. (To many voters, it's a non-issue, as it seems evident that it will be repealed, heavily modified, or simply struck down.)

TLDR: It's the economy...and HRC ended up on the wrong side.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Hillary was always a weak candidate. I remember having arguments on these boards about this way back in the primaries when her favorability numbers were already at alarming levels and her numbers on honesty truly abysmal. I was hoping Biden would jump in and get the nomination and if he had been the candidate I think he would have won comfortably. If not Biden, the Democrats should have built up a youngish centre-left candidate like Obama 2008 as a genuine contender to test whether Hillary was good enough. Instead they just cleared the decks for her.

When Trump got the nomination, I thought even she would be able to beat him and for a long time that looked the case. In truth despite his astounding victory, Trump ran a terrible campaign much of the time. However he had one enormous asset: a clear populist message that elites had destroyed America and that he would fight them and make America great again. Hillary neither had a compelling message of her own nor was she able to effectively destroy his message.

Her mistake was to spend too much time attacking his racism and sexism and not enough undermining his appeal as a populist businessman. She should have made a dozen ads featuring contractors particularly white male contractors who were screwed by Trump. They should have been prominently featured in her closing rallies. That should have been her closing argument not Machado and Khan.

Her big mistake was to take for granted the white working class Democratic base in states like Wisconsin, Michigan and PA and it cost her the election.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:01 AM

She had a fucking five percentage point lead two weeks out. Then that FBI guy dropped his bombshell. The decline was gradual, but just enough. She had no effective response. And, of course, we will probably never hear another word about whatever was on Huma Abedin's computer, unless some agent makes a big noise about how there was nothing there.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
So. No love for J. Edgar Comey?
If I were Obama I'd be tempted to have him locked in a room alone with a revolver.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2016, 10:37 AM

The Democratic party anointed establishment candidate Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders and the public found out about it. Even without the polarizing Clinton name this doesn't sit well with people.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
She had a fucking five percentage point lead two weeks out. Then that FBI guy dropped his bombshell. The decline was gradual, but just enough. She had no effective response. And, of course, we will probably never hear another word about whatever was on Huma Abedin's computer, unless some agent makes a big noise about how there was nothing there.
You're talking about polls? After last night? The polls were garbage from the start.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWino View Post
You're talking about polls? After last night? The polls were garbage from the start.
Indeed. The polls seemed to accurately reflect general changes in sentiment towards one candidate or another, but I don't think they ever had the overall numbers right. I just don't see how polls can work any more, a lot of people don't have landlines, and those of us who have taken polls in recent years recognized the very obviously loaded questions for what they were, so I just quit responding to them. Also any Internet poll was immediately subject to massive manipulation from various groups on the Internet.

Pollsters need to figure out something fast to remain viable.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg a Black Conservative View Post
Four years ago, people here prepared a eulogy for the, Republican party, telling me how we needed to be more liberal, accept more liberal policies and just generally be Democrat lights (I can certainly bump that thread). Today, I see that much of the same people refuse to acknowledge that maybe Democrats' social and economic policies aren't just repugnant to a majority of people, but harmful to our nation.

...Lol, who am I kidding? Democrats obviously didn't win because of racism.
Bring it out. After the shit you have taken, you're entitled.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
"Trump is the greatest gift to the Democrats" was a common sentiment - would love to see what some of those people have to say now.
I may not have said it aloud, but I certainly thought it: Trump is the greatest gift the Democrats could have asked for....if our candidate had been Anybody But Hillary.

What I'm saying now: I can't believe how stupid my fellow Americans are.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Choosing the most disliked and unlikable candidate in history is where they went wrong. Duh?

Bernie would have won in a landslide. I have zero doubt about that.
Nope. The Rove hate machine would have smeared Sanders so bad it would have been nutso.

They did it vs Obama, vs Hillary, vs Bill. They will keep on doing it. It works, the gullible bought it. And the Sanderistas happily spread Roves lies for the GOP.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosier View Post
It turns out Democrats don't like fake primaries. Go figure.
You mean the caucuses, the ones Bernie won? Yeah, those were not good.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:25 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Trump managed to sell 50 million of them on the idea that a billionaire real-estate developer cares about them and will fix it.
And use his Evile Powers for Good.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Really? That is not what I heard. The Rs lost a few house seats and did not gain a supermajority in the Senate. If that is correct, "crushed across the board" is far from accurate. They may not even be able to repeal the ACA if there is a filibuster.
Part of ObamaCare was passed under a "reconciliation" procedure, precisely to avoid the possibility of a filibuster. I don't see why a repeal of ObamaCare couldn't utilize the same procedure.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Some errors included nominating a candidate who openly allied herself with Wall Street, nominating an establishment politician when the electorate is viciously anti-establishment, nominating a candidate who has been hated by half of America for decades, the candidate saying she'll put the coal industry out of business, the candidate and party appearing to be corrupt and not taking complaints about the economy seriously and preferring massaged statistics to lived experiences, and the party and its supporters spiking the football of identity politics when half the electorate feels like it was shoved down their throat via court decisions.

Other factors couldn't have been helped, like the inevitable backlash of electing a black guy in America, or the morass of right wing media. Alex Jones is considered a mainstream source in some communities.

Last edited by marshmallow; 11-09-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
Some errors included nominating a candidate who openly allied herself with Wall Street,... nominating a candidate who has been hated by half of America for decades, the candidate saying she'll put the coal industry out of business,
1. False and a Rove lie.

2. Yes, because of GOP hate campaigns. They will do the same to any candidate.

3.Cite?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I don't see how it's corrupt. It's their party* and they get to write the rules however they like. If they want to have superdelegates, they can have superdelegates.

Now, they may very well want to change the nominating process for the next cycle. Competition improves the breed, so they say. Abide by the will of the people in the primaries and you should get a candidate who can attract the will of the people in the general.

* And they'll cry if they want to.
You are of course correct that it is "their party", and that the DNC was always free to nominate anyone they chose. That's nothing new. But...I believe that it was "news" to quite a few Democratic voters who assumed that the primary elections were 'binding'; that is, that the voters were responsible for choosing the nominee. I think that when they found out the the Party had made their choice long before the primaries began, many of those voters (who were primarily young Bernie Sanders supporters) collectively said "Fuck this!" and deserted their party.

I think the numbers show that a fair number of them voted for Gary Johnson. But based upon the drop in his polling numbers in the last few weeks it seems like quite a few of those, in the end, decided to vote for a candidate that actually had a chance to win the election...and that meant Trump.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Plankton View Post
.I believe that it was "news" to quite a few Democratic voters who assumed that the primary elections were 'binding'; that is, that the voters were responsible for choosing the nominee..
"voters were responsible for choosing the nominee": they were and they did. Voters overwhelmingly supported Hillary, she commanded the popular vote.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Considering that Hilary won the popular vote, too many live in California and New York, and not enough in Michigan, Pennsylvania or Florida.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:55 PM

One thing I think the Dems need to realize is that accusations of racism and sexism should be used in moderation even when they are true as they undoubtedly were with Trump. It was fine to attack him for some of his worst outbursts and I think they hurt him with voters. But then, towards the end of the race it seemed as if attacking Trump for racism and sexism was all the campaign was doing and I suspect many white voters just tuned it out. Incidentally this was not a mistake that the Obama campaign made; they were very careful about talking about racial issues which is part of the reason he won twice with the help of white voters in the Midwest which Hillary lost.

The basic problem is that many Dem elites live in an identity-politics bubble which is obsessed with issues of race and gender and where all accusations are taken with deadly seriousness whereas this stuff just doesn't resonate as strongly in the wider culture particularly in non-urban areas.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobohan View Post
I don't think steady incremental change is status quo.
Yes, but the average voter might not perceive a difference.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
"voters were responsible for choosing the nominee": they were and they did. Voters overwhelmingly supported Hillary, she commanded the popular vote.
Here's at least one big problem with that (and there are others as well): many of the people who supported Bernie were younger voters. Younger voters typically do not make the time and effort to vote in primaries, despite how much they loved and adored Bernie. But they would have voted for him in the general, hands down.

I'm one of those people, to be honest. I loved Bernie, and hated Hillary. But I am registered as no party affiliation and did not bother changing my registration in order to vote in a primary, and even if I had been I still might not have bothered, to be honest. But I did vote in the general. Yeah, yeah, I'm part of the problem, I know. But there are millions of people like me.

If you take a look at Reddit today (which skews youngish, lots and lots of 20-somethings on there), it's absolutely chock full of posts to the effect of "It should have been Bernie", "It would have been Bernie", etc. The old farts around here tend to be so out of touch with the zeitgeist that they actually thought Hillary was going to win in a landslide. They have no clue.

Last edited by Rigamarole; 11-09-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
One thing I think the Dems need to realize is that accusations of racism and sexism should be used in moderation even when they are true as they undoubtedly were with Trump. It was fine to attack him for some of his worst outbursts and I think they hurt him with voters. But then, towards the end of the race it seemed as if attacking Trump for racism and sexism was all the campaign was doing and I suspect many white voters just tuned it out. Incidentally this was not a mistake that the Obama campaign made; they were very careful about talking about racial issues which is part of the reason he won twice with the help of white voters in the Midwest which Hillary lost.

The basic problem is that many Dem elites live in an identity-politics bubble which is obsessed with issues of race and gender and where all accusations are taken with deadly seriousness whereas this stuff just doesn't resonate as strongly in the wider culture particularly in non-urban areas.
couldn't be said better. Sadly tho, while Obama didn't himself use those allegations against his opponents, his surrogates and vocal media fans strongly did. "War on women," that blocking Obama's judges was "racism," that Obama admin people called America a "nation of cowards," etc. and he clearly was good with it because he let it happen; he thought he was gonna build a permanent liberal coalition like Reagan built a durable, strong, but not permanent GOP coalition. Even tho Obama won in 2012, he won by a lot less than he did in 2008, this stuff continued and saw Democratic registration fall, 2014 be bad news, and position to the GOP nominee fall badly in 2016. Hillary won most blue states by less than Obama, and lost almost all red states by more than Obama.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:50 PM

Also, the young voters are the reason Obama got elected twice. Remember how heavily his campaign encouraged that get out the vote thing amongst the 18-30s? Voter turnout this year was much lower, and guess who the missing demographic primarily was? And guess who they liked, and who they fucking hated?

This isn't rocket science. Bernie would have won.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
1. False and a Rove lie.

2. Yes, because of GOP hate campaigns. They will do the same to any candidate.

3.Cite?
1. If you don't think Hillary is the avatar of Wall Street I can't help you. If you think that's a Rove lie I don't even know where to start. It's a common critique of her form the left and something Sanders harped on constantly. This was further shown by the Wikileaks e-mails where Hillary downplays Wall Street's responsibility in the recession, essentially discounting the idea as a populist meme, and that Wall Street knows best how to regulate itself.

2. I agree that Hillary had poor favorability ratings, in part, due to years of Republican attacks. So why push the poisoned candidate? It doesn't make sense. The right couldn't work up that sort of foaming at the mouth hatred at a relatively fresh candidate in only a year of electioneering.

3. Hillary on coal. This was widely spread in Republican circles. Hillary tried to backtrack later and even sat down with some coal miners to explain what she really meant, but it evidently didn't work.

Last edited by marshmallow; 11-09-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's at least one big problem with that (and there are others as well): many of the people who supported Bernie were younger voters. Younger voters typically do not make the time and effort to vote in primaries, despite how much they loved and adored Bernie. But they would have voted for him in the general, hands down.

I'm one of those people, to be honest. I loved Bernie, and hated Hillary. But I am registered as no party affiliation and did not bother changing my registration in order to vote in a primary, and even if I had been I still might not have bothered, to be honest. But I did vote in the general. Yeah, yeah, I'm part of the problem, I know. But there are millions of people like me.
Wait a minute... So what are you proposing here? The Dems should have ignored the vote count of the primaries... Which Bernie's voters couldn't be bothered to participat in... And given the nomination to Bernie... Assuming and trusting those same voters would come out in the general... And if they didn't... The party should assume that those same voters will ignore the specific and heartfelt and repeated pleas of the SAME MAN and vote for his opponent or a third party instead?

Please tell me where I've missed or misinterpreted something.
Closed Thread