Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 11-24-2016, 12:33 PM
doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
And since Trump views any criticism whatsoever as an "attack", that justifies him saying anything he wants about anyone else. Which is handy.

But he wasn't "defending himself", was he? Mostly he was just being an oversensitive asshole.
If you don't want Hiroshima, don't start Pearl Harbor.

Trump was defending himself. Trump's opponents, and the Democrat collective, whined when Trump pushed back. How dare Trump defend himself from Democrat groupthink, and bullying. He's such an anti-bully bully and you don't like him.

Hillary, the DNC, Hillary worshipers, and the Democrat collective completely misjudged the voters. Why? Because they prefer not to listen to anyone who didn't want a Hillary presidency.
  #252  
Old 11-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
If you don't want Hiroshima, don't start Pearl Harbor.
More like "If you don't want Hiroshima, don't park in Trump's parking spot."
Quote:
Trump was defending himself.
Oh that poor, poor man! Won't someone think of the billionaires?
Quote:
Trump's opponents, and the Democrat collective, whined when Trump pushed back. How dare Trump defend himself from Democrat groupthink, and bullying. He's such an anti-bully bully and you don't like him.
Just like he pushed back against all those people who dared to ask him for the money he owed them, or how he pushed back against that Miss Universe contestant, or how he threatened to push back against all those other women who claimed that he sexually assaulted them. All in self-defense!

He's not an "anti-bully bully"; he's a regular bully and proud of it. It's even in his books.
  #253  
Old 11-24-2016, 01:52 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,530
Trump bravely pushed a racist and fact free conspiracy theory when Obama committed the terrible transgression against Trump of being a black president.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #254  
Old 11-24-2016, 02:34 PM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,845
This is not particularly germane...but watching Obama and his bad turkey puns,I couldn't help but ponder Trump in the same situation. I don't think he's made a witty comment in his life...the man has no sense of humor whatsoever (remember the Al Smith dinner fiasco?)
  #255  
Old 11-24-2016, 06:31 PM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 16,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
This is not particularly germane...but watching Obama and his bad turkey puns,I couldn't help but ponder Trump in the same situation. I don't think he's made a witty comment in his life...the man has no sense of humor whatsoever (remember the Al Smith dinner fiasco?)
He does seem have a bit of an issue with lightening up. It happens but he seems to have trouble switching it on with the ease of someone used to a spotlight he does not own. Even when delivering his conciliatory Thanksgiving message he did not look relaxed at all.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 11-24-2016 at 06:32 PM.
  #256  
Old 11-24-2016, 10:51 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Well I'd like to ask even the transperson, what good is the protection from getting fired from a job if you cant find a job in the first place? What good is protection from being kicked out of your apartment if you dont have money for rent?

Consider the following:

Boss: "Hey transperson, your fired.".
Trans: "For what, because I'm a trans?"
Boss: "No, because this person from India will work for half what I'm paying you".

The democrats needed to focus on the economy and creating good paying jobs.
Yeah, I think you're basically right.

You know who was good at that kind of economic work? Franklin D. Roosevelt. He didn't get it all right the first time, nor the second, but he kept trying things. That's admirable.
  #257  
Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 AM
Lord Feldon's Avatar
Lord Feldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,721
The scapegoating of trans people seems to ignore that there was a governor's race where transgender rights were an explicit part of the campaign, and the Republican lost, despite being in a state that Trump won by 4 points.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 11-25-2016 at 01:36 AM.
  #258  
Old 11-25-2016, 02:46 AM
DerekMichaels00 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
The scapegoating of trans people seems to ignore that there was a governor's race where transgender rights were an explicit part of the campaign, and the Republican lost, despite being in a state that Trump won by 4 points.
More like that he could come so close with such sagging approval ratings shows that were it not for the issue, McCrory woulda lost decisively.
  #259  
Old 11-25-2016, 05:46 AM
doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
.....Oh that poor, poor man! Won't someone think of the billionaires?
(post shortened)

What difference, at this point, does it make?
- Hillary Clinton

The Clintons are worth millions and their influence-peddling foundation is sucking up more bucks every day. It appears that somebody is thinking of the billionaires.
  #260  
Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 AM
Bridget Burke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 9,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
(post shortened)

What difference, at this point, does it make?
- Hillary Clinton

The Clintons are worth millions and their influence-peddling foundation is sucking up more bucks every day. It appears that somebody is thinking of the billionaires.
With both Clintons out of office, how much "influence" do they have to peddle? Charity Watch gives the Clinton Foundation an A. Its goals:
Quote:
Works to improve global health & wellness, increase opportunity for women & girls, reduce childhood obesity, create economic opportunity & growth, and help communities address the effects of climate change.
Strangely, there's no listing for the Trump Foundation. Here's some news!
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump’s charitable foundation has admitted to the Internal Revenue Service that it violated a legal prohibition against “self-dealing,” which bars nonprofit leaders from using their charity’s money to help themselves, their businesses or their families.

The admission was contained in the Donald J. Trump Foundation’s IRS tax filings for 2015, which were recently posted online at the nonprofit-tracking site GuideStar. A GuideStar spokesman said the forms were uploaded by the Trump Foundation’s law firm, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.
  #261  
Old 11-25-2016, 07:43 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
More like that he could come so close with such sagging approval ratings shows that were it not for the issue, McCrory woulda lost decisively.
Considering the polling on the issue, I think you're wrong.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #262  
Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Una Persson's Avatar
Una Persson is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 15,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
All the arguments for it are based on meta-physical gender studies and even the pseudo-scientific studies have serious flaws.
No, they "all" don't, nor is any part of your diatribe correct - something you have already been schooled about on this message board.
  #263  
Old 11-25-2016, 12:54 PM
doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
With both Clintons out of office, how much "influence" do they have to peddle?
How much influence is former mayor Michael "16 oz" Bloomberg trying to exert on various U.S. elections? Bloomberg has been tossing around millions of dollars to elect gun-banners, and gun-control advocates. Bloomberg hasn't been very successful but that doesn't stop him from trying. Hillary is very trying.

Maybe Hillary will spend millions to buy Chelsea a Senate seat? That should increase the numbers of foreign investors who hope to influence the vote of a future Senator Clinton.
  #264  
Old 11-25-2016, 08:01 PM
foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
(post shortened)

What difference, at this point, does it make?
- Hillary Clinton

The Clintons are worth millions and their influence-peddling foundation is sucking up more bucks every day. It appears that somebody is thinking of the billionaires.
Whoa, I agree with doorhinge on something. Should I put that in my diary‽
  #265  
Old 12-14-2016, 07:11 PM
joebuck20 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,974
Pretty interesting article on Politico today about why Hillary lost Michigan.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/1...n-trump-232547

I found this pretty telling:

Quote:
“I’ve never seen a campaign like this,” said Virgie Rollins, a Democratic National Committee member and longtime political hand in Michigan who described months of failed attempts to get attention to the collapse she was watching unfold in slow-motion among women and African-American millennials.

Rollins, the chair emeritus of the Michigan Democratic Women’s Caucus, said requests into Brooklyn for surrogates to come talk to her group were never answered. When they held their events anyway, she said, they also got no response to requests for a little money to help cover costs.

Rollins doesn’t need a recount to understand why Clinton lost the state.

“When you don’t reach out to community folk and reach out to precinct campaigns and district organizations that know where the votes are, then you’re going to have problems,” she said.
And this;

Quote:
But there also were millions approved for transfer from Clinton’s campaign for use by the DNC — which, under a plan devised by Brazile to drum up urban turnout out of fear that Trump would win the popular vote while losing the electoral vote, got dumped into Chicago and New Orleans, far from anywhere that would have made a difference in the election.
  #266  
Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 PM
squidfood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
“When you don’t reach out to community folk and reach out to precinct campaigns and district organizations that know where the votes are, then you’re going to have problems,” she said.
You could armchair quarterback this to death; for example, in October the media was full of stories that the Clinton campaign did exactly this... in Florida and North Carolina. Yes, in retrospect her campaign's resource spread was off - but they did in fact do the "right things" in the places they committed the resources.
  #267  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:20 AM
doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidfood View Post
You could armchair quarterback this to death;

.....Yes, in retrospect her campaign's resource spread was off - but they did in fact do the "right things" in the places they committed the resources.
(post shortened)

What difference, at this point, does it make?
- Hillary Clinton

Hillary's resource spread was off, but they did do the "right things"????

Hillary lost because she didn't do enough of the "right things" where, and when, it counted.

Team Hillary had virtually unlimited resources. Hillary ran a race to collect the most Electoral College votes, just as every other candidate did, and Hillary failed to achieve that goal.
  #268  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 AM
JRDelirious is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Displaced
Posts: 16,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post



Hillary's resource spread was off, but they did do the "right things"????



Hillary lost because she didn't do enough of the "right things" where, and when, it counted..

I think that was the point, that the Clinton campaign thought they were doing the so-called "right things" ... but did so in the wrong places and in an untimely fashion-- because they took certain states for granted in the electoral-vote calculus.
  #269  
Old 12-15-2016, 11:01 AM
DigitalC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Obamatopia
Posts: 11,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
because they took certain states for granted in the electoral-vote calculus.
But it's not like this happened in a vacuum. Hillary took those states for granted because every poll was telling her they were in the bag. In retrospect Hillary was incredibly overconfident and she lost because of it, but at the time with the information she had she did what looked like the right moves. She should have ran an incredibly defensive campaign focused entirely on holding onto the "blue wall" and she probably would have if she had any real inkling of were the race actually stood.

Last edited by DigitalC; 12-15-2016 at 11:02 AM.
  #270  
Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM
squidfood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Hillary's resource spread was off, but they did do the "right things"????
All I'm saying is that a generic complaint from an on-the-ground rust belt campaign worker wasn't particularly enlightening, when other on-the-ground campaign workers in focus areas were doing the door-to-door thing. If she'd spent the effort to win in the rust belt, but lost by losing Nevada, we'd be hearing complaints from Nevada.
  #271  
Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM
squidfood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidfood View Post
If she'd spent the effort to win in the rust belt, but lost by losing Nevada, we'd be hearing complaints from Nevada.
I'm going to build on this a bit, since the thread is where did the Democrats (not Hillary specifically) go wrong. Nevada was famously won by the "Reid machine", and the Reid machine also put a new Democratic Senator in office. If Trump was in office, but the Democrats had won three more Senate races, they'd be in a very very different place. So as far as mistakes go, I'd look towards the individual state party machines and their state of decay. Whether this is the fault of individual state democratic groups, or too much centralization and presidential focus from the top, I couldn't say - probably some of both. (Those Senate races were quite competitive, so I'd assume discuss it as error in tactics rather than error in ideology).
  #272  
Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor's Avatar
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 31,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Why did Trump win?
It is Rural America, screaming "STOP IGNORING US & OUR NEEDS!"

And, as everything else has failed, they try to smash the plate glass window, by electing Trump.

Seriously.
The Mainstream GOP screwed them by promising things they never intended to deliver, & the Democrats, their greatest strength in the cities, couldn't care less about them.


My conclusion :
Trump is a non-Democrat, but, at least to the voters, is an Anti-Republican.


as of today's news--

Quote:
'Democratic voters, are clustered in urban areas...and on the coasts, and so as a consequence you've got a situation where there are not only entire states but also big chunks of states where, if we're not showing up, if we're not in there making an argument, then we're going to lose.

And we can lose badly, and that's what happened in this election.



There are clearly failures on our part to give people in rural areas or in exurban areas a sense day-to-day that we're fighting for them or connected to them.

Part of the reason it's important to show up...is because it then builds trust and it gives you a better sense of how should you talk about issues in a way that feel salient and feel meaningful to people.'

~~Barack Obama

Not too shabby

Last edited by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor; 12-19-2016 at 07:17 PM.
  #273  
Old 12-20-2016, 09:38 PM
doubleminus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 324
The thing is that Clinton preached to the minorities (educated, ethnic and racial) - and not very well too. Seems those minorities are in in a minority.
  #274  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:45 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 20,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Reported.
No; I haven't lost my mind(*). There was a spam post which I reported and the Mods deleted.

(* - Well, maybe I have lost my mind; but the "Reported" was not a manifestation of that. )
  #275  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:49 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,996
It’s all good. Dopers who hope to see a Democrat win the election in 11 months could maybe use a refresher course on what went wrong last time around (though perhaps we “get it” plenty by now).
  #276  
Old 11-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 23,325

The Moderator Speaks


Right, let’s not litigate this again.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017