Old 12-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Jennifer is a great player, but you've gotta admit she's had some pretty weak competition so far.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post

But it was a lot of fun, and I was happy just to get that far. I couldn't possibly do as well now. My brain and reflexes today, almost 30 years later, are much slower. And I have no idea about all the pop music and TV shows the kids are watching these days.
Well watch how much these young'ns miss classic rock questions. And I bet not one would get a question about It's About Time.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
How long before we can start calling her "Jeopardy Jennifer," to go along with Jeopardy James and Jeopardy Jason?

I think we've cracked the secret of big success on Jeopardy--have a name that starts with J!
Jeopardy Jennings?
Old 12-13-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

ABC has been running commercials for the tournament they're running in prime time, I think starting on January 7.

BTW, I noticed some time ago that in several cities Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune air on ABC stations. Is there a reason for that?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
ABC has been running commercials for the tournament they're running in prime time, I think starting on January 7.

BTW, I noticed some time ago that in several cities Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune air on ABC stations. Is there a reason for that?
You mean, as opposed to other affiliates? I think it's just a matter of which ones decide to pick them up.

In Toronto, they're aired simultaneously on two different cable channels at 19:00 and 19:30 Monday through Friday.

Last edited by terentii; 12-13-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I meant as opposed to stations that are not affiliated with the American Broadcasting Company.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I meant as opposed to stations that are not affiliated with the American Broadcasting Company.
When I was living in Minneapolis/St Paul, I'm pretty sure they were on WCCO (the CBS affiliate) in late afternoon. Again, I think it was just because it was the station that wanted/got to to air them.

Last edited by terentii; 12-13-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:27 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Yep, it's just a matter of which affiliate buys the package.

Here in Charlotte, it's an NBC affiliate.
I used to live in Winston-Salem, where it's a CBS affiliate.
I grew up in Columbia, SC, where it's an ABC affiliate (though I could swear when I lived there it was NBC).

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 12-13-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Jeopardy! is syndicated, which means that any station in a given market can bid for the rights to show it. In my area, it's on the NBC affiliate, but it varies in different markets.

The prime-time tournament will be on ABC, presumably because Sony has made a deal with ABC to broadcast it. That has nothing to do with what station it's broadcast on in various local markets.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

The USA Today article linked to in post 818 says, "'Jeopardy' is syndicated to local stations, but airs on ABC outlets in many top markets." So there is something to what I noticed. FYI, Wikipedia says that it airs on all eight of the ABC owned-and-operated stations.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Jennifer is a great player, but you've gotta admit she's had some pretty weak competition so far.
Yeah, seems to me that she's had strong competition in only one of her games.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
Yeah, seems to me that she's had strong competition in only one of her games.
How all three could have missed the "Catherine Willows/CSI" question the other day is just beyond me. How quickly some forget!
Old 12-14-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
In my area, when Jeopardy is preempted (for a football or baseball game, for instance), the show is aired at night, like around 1am or so.
My DVR automatically finds those late night “make good” episodes.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
How all three could have missed the "Catherine Willows/CSI" question the other day is just beyond me. How quickly some forget!
That whole category was a dark hole for me. Even when I heard the answers there was not even a spark of recognition. (And I’m not one of those pretentious anti TV snobs. I just don’t know the names of the actors.)
Old 12-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjs1fs View Post
I think you hilariously, insanely overestimate the "skill set" required for a game show host position.
If you think it easy to be a game show host, you didn’t see Vanna White filling in for Pat Sajak on Wheel of Fortune this past week.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
That whole category was a dark hole for me. Even when I heard the answers there was not even a spark of recognition. (And I’m not one of those pretentious anti TV snobs. I just don’t know the names of the actors.)
Catherine Willows was the name of the character; the actress's was Marg Helgenberger. They gave them both.

Anyway, a "stripper turned crimefighter" should have sparked at least one contestant's memory, I would think.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:30 PM

They even referred to her as "a forensic investigator."

The original CSI was the number-one show for how long?
Old 12-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The original CSI was the number-one show for how long?
And on top of that long run of popularity, there's also the fact that CSI has entered popular culture as the name of an effect on juries of television crime-solving conventions (mainly that the crimes are solved quickly and with lots of very clear forensic evidence available).*

So it is surprising that this was apparently obscure knowledge to those contestants.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI_effect

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 PM

since he's 79 and battling cancer seems like this big tourney could be his swan song.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Jennifer Quayle, who is currently on a six-game win streak (before Thursday's show at least, which I am watching now) and appears dominant enough to keep it going awhile, works as a "wine tasting consultant" in Michigan. Pretty fancy pantsy job--and in Michigan? Huh.
She's devoid of personality, and don't they have stylists for the contestants??? She needs a gay.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
even the producers recognize that there are times when it's a legitimate strategy to go out of order.
Here is a way the producers can subtly (subliminally?) encourage the players to follow the traditional strategy of going down a complete category without making it a rule.

At the beginning of the show, before they reveal the categories for the first round, they fill in the money values of each square. It appears to be random, but it’s always the same sequence (shades of Press Your Luck). Instead, I suggest that they fill in the grid going down each column from left to right. In my mind’s eye that would also be more aesthetically pleasing.

Or is this another one if those petty, picayune, superfluous details that some fans are attached to strictly because “that’s how it’s always been?”
Old 12-16-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Maven View Post
stop requiring them to phrase their response in the form of a question (ie, “What is...?”).
Quote:
It will never happen.
You are probably right. I should gave characterized my quest as “quixotic.”

Nevertheless, I say the producers don’t take this rule very seriously. They don’t even enforce it in the first round. In the second round, on the rare occasion a contestant doesn’t start their response with “What is...” Trebek gives them a polite reminder.

Has anybody ever seen a contestant penalized for neglecting to preface a correct response with that phrase?
Old 12-16-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Has anybody ever seen a contestant penalized for neglecting to preface a correct response with that phrase?
Yes, and in Final Jeopardy too.

This was back in the '80s; the contestant wrote the correct response ("Asia") but didn't phrase it on the form of a question. As I recall, he lost all his money and the champion spot.

There have been other examples over the years, but this is the one which really sticks in my mind.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:35 AM

I would think the local station that is the highest bidder or has the highest ratings gets to run Jeopardy.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nevertheless, I say the producers don’t take this rule very seriously. They don’t even enforce it in the first round. In the second round, on the rare occasion a contestant doesn’t start their response with “What is...” Trebek gives them a polite reminder.

I think that you're incorrect about how this is handled. In the first round Alex will remind you. In the second round he won't. What often happens in the second round is that the contestant says the answer and Alex doesn't respond at all, which prompts the contestant to realize that they said it wrong.

From 5 JEOPARDY! RULES EVERY CONTESTANT SHOULD KNOW (note that this is on jeopardy.com):

Quote:
If a contestant gives a response to a non-Daily Double clue in the Jeopardy! round that is not in the form of a question, Alex will give them a reminder. However, if a contestant forgets their phrasing in the Double Jeopardy! round, during Final Jeopardy! or for any Daily Double clue, they will be ruled incorrect.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I know that it happened at least as recently as June 30, 2018. I know that because it was a game that I was taking part in. I wasn't the one who made that mistake, fortunately, but one of my competitors did. He said "The Mersey," Alex said no, and the other contestant (also not me) rang in to say "What is The Mersey?" She got money, he lost money.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened again since then, but that one I know for a fact!

In Double Jeopardy, Alex will not prompt you if you get your phrasing wrong. He'll just call you incorrect.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, and in Final Jeopardy too.

This was back in the '80s; the contestant wrote the correct response ("Asia") but didn't phrase it on the form of a question. As I recall, he lost all his money and the champion spot.
It may have been in response to that incident, or others like it, that they began telling contestants during the break before FJ, to write on their screen, "What is," or "Who is," etc., before the round started. They were doing it in 1991 when I played.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:07 AM

I don't recall it specifically, but there was at least one other foul-up around the time of the "Asia" response. So much so that Alex told the contestants to make sure their response was in the form of a question because "we have had some tragedies lately on the show."

One incident I do remember from this period was also in Final Jeopardy: The response (about Washington, DC) was phrased in the form of a question, but it should have read "What is the Capitol?" Instead, it was "What is the Capital?"

Which, of course, means something else entirely.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It may have been in response to that incident, or others like it, that they began telling contestants during the break before FJ, to write on their screen, "What is," or "Who is," etc., before the round started. They were doing it in 1991 when I played.
Yes, the "Asia" incident could have been in 1990 or '91; I was out of the country from September '89 through June '90 (and then at language school until August '90).
Old 12-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks to tetentii, commasense, & MrAtoz for the examples.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:22 PM

I can admit when I was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
I think that you're incorrect about how this is handled.
Thanks for the clarification with citation. Apparently, they *DO* take it more seriously than I had thought.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:02 PM

In this Jeopardy highlight youtube video, the contestant didn't write "What is..." and got the question wrong. It is an early season, Alex didn't even realize the error.

The first highlight is a contestant who faints during FJ

The 2nd highlight , at about 1 min 35 seconds is the failed "What is..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hi7PXcv8Xg

Last edited by notfrommensa; 12-16-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:56 PM

Will the daily syndicated version be aired during the new prime-time tourney?
Old 12-31-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I don't know for sure, but I expect them to continue to air the daily syndicated show. And by the way, Thursday, January 2, ABC is broadcasting a one-hour special on Jeopardy! and Alex Trebek, hosted by Michael Strahan (who is on one of ABC's morning shows). The big tournament itself starts in a week, on January 7.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I expect them to continue to air the daily syndicated show.

January 2, ABC is broadcasting a one-hour special on Jeopardy!
My Xfinity grid shows new daytime episodes during the prime time GOAT Tournament.

Thanks for the tip on the special. I probably would have missed it otherwise.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:16 PM

According to Reddit the GOAT tournament will be airing on ABC, which, depending on your TV market, may not be where you usually watch it. The regular daily episodes will also run during that timeframe.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the special. I probably would have missed it otherwise.
Same. Record timer set!
Old 01-01-2020, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Alex's latest comments, from the ABC special, about retiring, his replacement, and his illness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Trebek
“[The last show will] be a significant moment for me. But I’ve kind of, in my mind, rehearsed it already, and what I would do on that day is tell the director, ‘Time the show down to leave me 30 seconds at the end. That’s all I want.’ And I will say my goodbyes and I will tell people, ‘Don’t ask me who’s going to replace me because I have no say whatsoever. But I’m sure that if you give them the same love and attention and respect that you have shown me…then they will be a success and the show will continue being a success. And until we meet again, God bless you and goodbye.”
Regarding his cancer treatments, he says,
Quote:
“We may try a new protocol…a different chemo or something in the trial stage that is not chemotherapy. I don’t mind experimenting. I’ve got nothing to lose, so let’s go for it.”
Old 01-01-2020, 01:50 AM

Still talking about his final show in the future tense, huh? Guess the GOAT isn't going to be his swan song, after all.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 AM

Seems that he would be happier in retirement but maybe he is sort of a workaholic .
Old 01-01-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

And surely, even if he doesn't have a say in his choice of replacement, he knows who it'll be? Or at least, when he gives that goodbye, he will know by then. It seems a bit odd that he'd be saying "my replacement, whoever that might be".
Old 01-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Most likely he will announce his retirement and his replacement will be announced at the same time. He will know the person's name before it is made public unless there is a leak. Pretty sure when Bob Barker retired from TPIR they announced Drew Carey taking over at the same time.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

And I'm not sure it's entirely true that he had (or will have) "no say whatsoever" in selecting his replacement. At the very least, his opinions would be seriously taken into consideration.

I suppose it's possible that the showrunners have begun the search process without involving Alex or even letting him know they've started. You know, to keep him from thinking that they expect him to kick the bucket any day or that they're trying to push him out.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:40 PM

Rather than start a new thread, I'm asking here:
What Network owns Jeopardy? My whole life it's only been on NBC and research says that it originated there, but further digging says CBS owns it now.

I was severely thrown off by the upcoming ABC special airing next week. How's all this work?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

It's a syndicated show, so it might air on any station, regardless of network affiliation. For various reasons, though, in many of the major markets, it airs on ABC stations (I think on all eight of the owned-and-operated ABC stations, which are generally the largest market stations in the country). The program is owned by Sony Pictures Television, but distributed by CBS Television Distribution (one part of which was the old King World Productions). I'm sure that clears everything up.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 01-02-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Anyone watch the special on Thursday night? I enjoyed it, particularly some of the vintage footage from the Art Fleming era and the first decade or so of the Trebek era. It was interesting to see all the old sets.

I also loved seeing that two staffers who were there when I was on, back in 1991, are still on the job: contestant coordinator Suzanne Thurber and stage manager John Lauderdale. Suzanne and other members of her staff were fantastic: even though they handle 450 contestants per season, they made us feel like we were the only contestants they'd ever dealt with. We all felt like very special guests. And I'll never forget John's advice just as the break before Final Jeopardy ended: "If you can't come up with an answer, go for funny."

I have the show on my DVR and may watch it again with my finger on the pause button to look closely at some of the scenes in the control room and on the set. As a former audio-video tech, I'm interested in the production gear.

Here's one piece of evidence I noticed that proves Alex is not the genius a lot of people assume he is. There was a scene in his garage workshop that included a quick shot of some nut and bolt drawers. The handwritten labels on several of them referred to "course" (vs. fine) threaded hardware. Ha!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:15 AM

What should they actually be called? I don’t think being unaware of this kind of blue collar nomenclature is disproof of erudition. I myself have no idea, even though I frequently know Jeopardy clues even when all three contestants are stumped (in fact, I can’t be sure but I think I may even have a higher percentage on those than on the majority that someone does know).
Old 01-03-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
What should they actually be called? I don’t think being unaware of this kind of blue collar nomenclature is disproof of erudition.
"coarse". And while you may not know, a self-styled fix-it-guy should.

I personally wonder if it isn't an inside joke of some kind. I.e., Alex told someone "label that one 'coarse'", they wrote "course" and Alex left it that way because he thought it was funny.

Either way, I thought Alex came off as charming, his wife is a doll (and they are obviously still very much in love), and Michael is a much better interviewer than I would have given him credit for.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:51 PM

With all the talk of Trebek's retirement, I'd like to ask a question that I've thought about over the last few years: should the term "signalling device", and the phrase "command of the board", be retired along with him? Alex. Dude. I love you. But we all know it's a "buzzer". And, "command of the board"?! The contestants aren't standing at the helm of a nuclear-powered battleship, getting ready to navigate dangerous waters while seeking to find and destroy the enemy. They just get to choose then next answer.

There was always a certain low-level pretentiousness to Trebek, which used to annoy me. Best exemplified by Jason Alexander on one of the celebrity tournaments, that when he got the question wrong, Alex gave him an "oh, noooooo!" sort of response, to which Alexander annoying replied, "yeah, but you've got the answers right in front of you!" But I've gotten so used to it over the years that I don't really even notice it anymore. In fact, it's part of why now I love the guy so much. He is what he is.

While I'm talking about Trebek, I have this thing I do while watching where I try to note his responses to let the contestants know if they are correct or not. He has certain stock replies. A succinct "Good!" is my favorite. Followed closely by a simple "That's right!" Then he has the "comment" reply, where he will mention something about the answer. There are of course others. Inevitably, I will become so engrossed in the game that I forget to do this. But I have seriously thought about listing these replies, and tallying up the rate that each is used.

Anyway, I think the answer to my original question is an unequivocal "yes". Retire those things. As simple, and quite frankly insignificant as they are, no one else could pull them off quite like Trebek.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
the term "signaling device"... we all know it's a "buzzer".

[Trebek’s] responses to let the contestants know if they are correct....
The object in question does not buzz. The sound engineer does not add a buzz. Similarly, I wouldn’t call it a clicker. Some people might call it a button or switch. Personally, I don’t care what they call it.

I like that Trebek varies his responses; it makes him human. My favorite is when it’s a person and he says, “She’s / he’s the one.”