Old 11-20-2019, 12:16 AM

Minorities who support Trump - why?

A related spinoff of the "Straight, White, Cisgendered Man and do not understand Trump supporters thread" in IMHO:

The vast majority of racial minorities did not vote for Trump in 2016. That being said, as always, there were some who would, and did. 8% of blacks, 28% of Hispanics, 27% of Asians, and 36% of other non-white minorities voted Trump in the presidential election. If we count women as a "minority," 41% of them voted Trump, too.

Continuing with that same source cited above, 8% of Democrats also voted for Trump. 10% of liberals voted for Trump.

So, in each case, why? What was in it for each category above, that made them vote Trump?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:27 AM

I can't attribute this to mass brain damage so I'll try some other possibilities.

* It was a mistake.
* I was bribed.
* I hate myself.
* I hate others more than myself.
* Seemed like a good idea at the time.
* I love Faux; they're always right.
* I always vote against my interests.
* Gawd told me how to vote.
* I'll never vote for a woman.
* He's rich so he must be smart.
* He looked SO good on TV!
* He said he'd give me my job back.
* He said he'd get rid of all [whatever].
* My daddy was an idiot so I am too.
* Fuck the Establishment.
* I'm an anarchist.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:53 AM

Most of the prewar and boomer Latinos were conservative Catholics whom fit well along with the gops social platforms ie pro life and such

and well see when the whole "illegal immigrant rage" in ca that resulted in one of the biggest bastards in politics being elected Pete Wilson and the infamous prop 187 The second and third-gen Latinos were afraid they were going to take what they'd established since the 20s and 30s and actually voted for it

So the main attitude prevailed then and still quite a bit now was "we have ours so fuck them " that divided the conservative older generations with the more liberal younger generations

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-20-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Nobody should have voted for Trump. People voted for Trump because they held mistaken beliefs, either about Trump or the world or both.

There's no reason why black people or Hispanic people or Asians can't be as mistaken in their beliefs as white people.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

The same reasons White people did.
‘Bernie got screwed by the DNC’
‘Sometimes you need a bull in the China shop’
‘Only a businessman can fix it’
‘He will stand up for the USA’

It’s amazing how many people have a very simple view of the world. Don’t like how the Chinese are ‘screwing’ America? Hell, backslap then and then meet in a cage match on PPV next month.

Watching the news and getting scared to death of terrorisim certainly doesn’t have any racial or gender lines. There’s people of all sorts who will think you’re surely going to die in a terror attack in Paris even though the odds are more likely for you Tom get killed driving from Chicago to Des Moines.

I know some LGBT people who voted Trump. First of all, it’s an easy vote to make in very blue Illinois. But, they figured that someone who’s from Manhattan and has spent most of his life in entertainment would be pretty progressive on LGBT issues even with the odious Mike Pence on the ticket. They compared him with Bush who was from West Texas and spent most of his time in pro baseball before becoming governor and constantly pandered to the religious right.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 AM

1. A Democrat had been in charge for eight years and the US was ready to have a Republican in charge. In other words, the normal back-and-forth cycle between the two parties.
2. If you ever watch professional wrestling, there’s always a guy who’s designated as the “heel” – the pantomime villain no one’s supposed to like. Funnily enough, lots of people cheer for the heel.
3. Trump was a celebrity. Many people identify with and cheer for celebrities.
4. The US is incredibly polarised. In an us vs them situation, people are only going to back the other side’s candidate if they can identify with them for reasons such as charisma, popularity, or message. People who were inclined to vote Republican didn’t identify with Clinton enough to switch sides.
5. People identified Trump as the anti-establishment candidate. See reason #2. Some people voted for Trump as a protest vote against the establishment.

None of the above reasons are specific to minorities, but I don’t think the minorities who voted for Trump did so based on a minority platform. They voted for Trump for the same reasons as the majority voters who voted for Trump
Old 11-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Nobody should have voted for Trump. People voted for Trump because they held mistaken beliefs, either about Trump or the world or both.

There's no reason why black people or Hispanic people or Asians can't be as mistaken in their beliefs as white people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
The same reasons White people did.
‘Bernie got screwed by the DNC’
‘Sometimes you need a bull in the China shop’
‘Only a businessman can fix it’
‘He will stand up for the USA’
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
None of the above reasons are specific to minorities, but I don’t think the minorities who voted for Trump did so based on a minority platform. They voted for Trump for the same reasons as the majority voters who voted for Trump
Got it. Really, people, why should a segment of our demographic not be influenced or affected by the same factors as everyone else?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

There is that, and also what I pointed out in a different thread:

Many from those minorities can be counted in 2 camps:

1) As falling for the early idea that Trump is such a liar that he must had been lying during the campaign so as to be elected and once in power he would show how liberal he was on some issues*.

2) Lets watch the Republicans go down with the ship with Trump as captain. (The let us watch the world burn down group that also includes minorities)

* Some conservatives did fall for this, like the ones that reportedly expected that taking away their health care or deporting their loved ones was a lie too.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 11-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Those are roughly the same % who vote for other GOP presidential candidates like Romney or McCain.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Lets watch the Republicans go down with the ship with Trump as captain. (The let us watch the world burn down group that also includes minorities)
I don't know. I think when white people imagine society breaking down, they always imagine themselves as one of the lucky survivors. They acknowledge that bad things will happen to a lot of people. But they always imagine it will be other people and not them personally.

I think minorities have fewer illusions like this. They know they're likely to be the other people that the bad things happen to.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know. I think when white people imagine society breaking down, they always imagine themselves as one of the lucky survivors. They acknowledge that bad things will happen to a lot of people. But they always imagine it will be other people and not them personally.

I think minorities have fewer illusions like this. They know they're likely to be the other people that the bad things happen to.
As it turns out, I can talk from experience here, in my youth I attended one elite school in the old country. Suffice to say that seeing what extreme conservatives do with religion and dealing with military thug's progeny, that there are some that also came to America that would like to also see the world end in flames, but that they do assume that the American overlords will help them avoid the bad things.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post

I know some LGBT people who voted Trump. First of all, it’s an easy vote to make in very blue Illinois. But, they figured that someone who’s from Manhattan and has spent most of his life in entertainment would be pretty progressive on LGBT issues even with the odious Mike Pence on the ticket. They compared him with Bush who was from West Texas and spent most of his time in pro baseball before becoming governor and constantly pandered to the religious right.
I've read about wealthier LGBT voting for trump because they want the tax breaks. So gay people, like many others, can value their own pocketbook above other reasons.

The Log Cabin republicans are a well known LGBT republican group; Dan Savage has written about them before (negatively, as you would imagine). Some of the values republicans allegedly stand for can be shared by LGBT, though this sounds absolutely nuts to me. Some think they can "change the party from the inside," which also sounds preposterous to me.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...in-republicans
Old 11-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Why would anyone assume that the color of one's skin predict the content of ones thoughts and attitudes? That is preposterous on it's face, and kinda racist (i.e. making an assumption about a person based on their skin color), yah?
Old 11-20-2019, 11:23 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

I would be interested in reading a post from a person who is in a minority and voted for Trump.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Why would anyone assume that the color of one's skin predict the content of ones thoughts and attitudes? That is preposterous on it's face, and kinda racist (i.e. making an assumption about a person based on their skin color), yah?
People talk all the time about how white men were Trump's base - we had multiple threads about just that. People talk about how Democrats consistently get 90-97% of the black vote in each election. People talked in 2012 about how the Republican party was doomed by demographics as the nation got "less and less white." Why wouldn't people assume that color predicts political views?
Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I would be interested in reading a post from a person who is in a minority and voted for Trump.
Where is OMG, a Black Conservative when we need him?
Old 11-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
You are missing who we are talking about too, someone that decided that the color of one's skin predicts the content of ones thoughts and attitudes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/1754532001/

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/122708...racism-history

I would think that it would be more racist to expect the minorities to ignore the bigoted Republican leadership elephant in the room.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 11-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:39 PM

My impression is that when minorities vote GOP, and Trump specifically, they are doing because they identify with what the party represents, which is power. They are running from the notion that they are somehow 'victims.' I actually get that, even if I still can't understand how they don't see the long term damage that their party is going to people like themselves.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Black Trump supporters seem to have taken him at his word about ending the school-to-prison pipeline. He hasn't, obviously, but he's occasionally given pardons which suggest he cares, and the Democrats and mainstream Republicans haven't done much about it either.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
I've read about wealthier LGBT voting for trump because they want the tax breaks. So gay people, like many others, can value their own pocketbook above other reasons.

The Log Cabin republicans are a well known LGBT republican group; Dan Savage has written about them before (negatively, as you would imagine). Some of the values republicans allegedly stand for can be shared by LGBT, though this sounds absolutely nuts to me. Some think they can "change the party from the inside," which also sounds preposterous to me.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...in-republicans
There’s a couple of groups. There’s what I call the tea sipping gays who tend to vote Republican because they are high income and make 6 figures in a tax law firm where no one says anything about same sex couples at the company Christmas party. They tend to look down on Pride Parades and take their vacations to upscale resorts.

There’s also the Chik Fil A gays who tend to be mostly apolitical. They live their gay lives but generally avoid politics as long as Grindr is available for their next hot hookup. They’ll eat Chik Fil A, and are often annoyed by the politics in the LGBT movement. They’re sick of the the constant adding new letters to LGBT, tired of the debates over the flag, and go to the Pride Parade to see hot shirtless men, not deal with BLM, BDS, and all of the other politics that have worked into the Pride Parade over the past two years.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Those are roughly the same % who vote for other GOP presidential candidates like Romney or McCain.

Which is one factor that is often ignored: among us there are many who for a lifetime just plain and simply defaulted to vote for the (R) option on the ballot (among Hispanics, the Florida Cubans are a huge share of that percentage, but not all of it) out of regular conservatism - probusiness, “family values”, strong defense, you know the shpiel. It remains to be seen if that will hold on 2020. I am not sanguine on a major change from recoil at the Trump horror: my home crowd will match anyone in doubling down rather than admit error.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
A related spinoff of the "Straight, White, Cisgendered Man and do not understand Trump supporters thread" in IMHO:

The vast majority of racial minorities did not vote for Trump in 2016. That being said, as always, there were some who would, and did. 8% of blacks, 28% of Hispanics, 27% of Asians, and 36% of other non-white minorities voted Trump in the presidential election. If we count women as a "minority," 41% of them voted Trump, too.

Continuing with that same source cited above, 8% of Democrats also voted for Trump. 10% of liberals voted for Trump.

So, in each case, why? What was in it for each category above, that made them vote Trump?
It's like everyone forgot who he was running against.

A lot of people thought it was all an act and he would become more moderate in office.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 11-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Someone just wrote a book about Clarence Thomas. I haven't and won't read it and it is unfair to base comments on reading a review of the book, but FWIW, here goes. First he believes that blacks should forgo all the affirmative action stuff and pull themselves by their bootstraps, start businesses, get rich and generally ignore all the ways in which the deck is stacked against them. Formerly by legally enforced segregation, then by Fanny Mae enforced residential segregation, currently, according to recent news by biased real estate agents. By getting second rate schools and so on. Thomas thinks all this can and should be ignored and also seems to find affirmative action somewhat insulting as it can be taken to mean that blacks can get ahead only with an artificial boost.

Given all this it seems clear that someone like Thomas may well vote for Trump. I find it harder to believe that an evangelical could not only have voted for him but continue their unabated support. Do these bible thumpers have any idea whatever of the actual contents? Even ignoring his personal life, his policies are so un-Christian as to be staggering.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I find it harder to believe that an evangelical could not only have voted for him but continue their unabated support. Do these bible thumpers have any idea whatever of the actual contents? Even ignoring his personal life, his policies are so un-Christian as to be staggering.
It seems the fundy jeezoids, er I mean evangelicals, will accept ANYTHING that may kill Roe v Wade, and will make ANY Satanic deal. Stacking federal courts to eliminate rights for women, queers, atheists, and anti-fascists - check. Locking up refugee kids - check. Euthanizing Muslims, Hindus, Quakers, but not Scientologists - check.

Am I off-topic to note that fundy jeezoids, er I mean evangelicals, follow Paul, not Jesus?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I find it harder to believe that an evangelical could not only have voted for him but continue their unabated support. Do these bible thumpers have any idea whatever of the actual contents? Even ignoring his personal life, his policies are so un-Christian as to be staggering.
They kept telling you that the lord works in mysterious ways. But you wouldn't believe them. Not so smart now, are you?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Some peopkw who overcome difficult circumstances resent those who have it easier.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:41 PM

What does that even mean?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Blacks, Latinos, gay people, and other minorities can be just as conservative as white people. Conservatism as a trait doesn't discriminate by race, gender, or sexual orientation, and my guess is that the numbers of people who trend conservative is probably the same across race, gender, and sexual orientation. Given that, the question is not why are there some minorities who support Trump, but why aren't there more? The answer to that question is because some of the otherwise conservative minorities vote Democratic because the white conservatives push them out of the party. My hypothesis is that if the white conservatives stopped being bigoted, the Republican party would swell with the ranks of conservative minorities who no longer feel unwelcome in that party.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Apologies for the double post. In support of my theory, I think this is why we have the phenomenon of black Democrats being less comfortable with a gay candidate than white Democrats. The black Democrats are a mix of both conservative and liberal blacks, whereas the white Democrats are mostly liberal, since the conservative whites are all in the Republican party.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:05 AM

It's always disheartening to hear how I am supposed to vote because of one or more groups to which I belong. It's racist, sexist, ableist, elitist; _____ist.

I voted for Trump because he was an unknown quantity, Hillary Clinton was a known quantity, and the weight I gave to the various issues differs from other voters.

Same with why I vote for anyone. Party is almost irrelevant.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
I voted for Trump because he was an unknown quantity
How on Earth was Donald Trump an unknown quantity for you on Election Day? Had you just awoken from a year long coma?
Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Democrats would be in an extremely strong position it they would just focus on the issues and treat Trump supporters with respect.

Honestly, I think many people voted for Trump because of the types of comments that are showing up in this thread.

The position that the only people that could have voted for Trump are from the "basket of deplorables" or are people that just don't get it, or are confused or victims in some way, really drove up Trump's support.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
What does that even mean?
Assuming you were responding to my comment about people resenting others who have it easier...

Take someone who has gone through the immigration process and becomes a citizen. They might resent someone who enters illegally and gets amnesty so they vote for someone who is anti-amnesty.

Someone who struggled and paid off their student debt might resent a proposal to forgive existing student debt.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullsterx View Post
Honestly, I think many people voted for Trump because of the types of comments that are showing up in this thread.
Nobody who didn't already support the types of things Trump supported switched sides because people were mean to them.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Here’s a quote from a gay acquaintance of mine that I’d call a Chik Fil A gay. I’ve paraphrased an excerpt from his social media rant.

‘Medicare for all sounds great except we’d be wasting money on fat people, druggies, and lazy bums who don’t want to work.’

I’m sure you can find people in all minority groups who feel similar.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
How on Earth was Donald Trump an unknown quantity for you on Election Day? Had you just awoken from a year long coma?
A coma? No.

Unknown as in how he would perform in a political office.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
A coma? No.

Bribery, bankruptcy, perjury... about the same as in private life, but more so because power. No surprise.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
1. A Democrat had been in charge for eight years and the US was ready to have a Republican in charge. In other words, the normal back-and-forth cycle between the two parties.
2. If you ever watch professional wrestling, there’s always a guy who’s designated as the “heel” – the pantomime villain no one’s supposed to like. Funnily enough, lots of people cheer for the heel.
3. Trump was a celebrity. Many people identify with and cheer for celebrities.
4. The US is incredibly polarised. In an us vs them situation, people are only going to back the other side’s candidate if they can identify with them for reasons such as charisma, popularity, or message. People who were inclined to vote Republican didn’t identify with Clinton enough to switch sides.
5. People identified Trump as the anti-establishment candidate. See reason #2. Some people voted for Trump as a protest vote against the establishment.

I agree with this, and would just add that a certain percentage were in the "Anyone but Hillary" camp.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:16 AM

I have known many folks of both races who have no real political belief, except that they are contrarians who think they're smarter than the rest of the sheep in the herd.

There are some folks who unfortunately buy into the trope that only losers claim that they're affected by racism, and want to believe that they aren't losers.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
A coma? No.

Really? You watched the campaign and the debates and were still up in the air as to whether or not Trump had the intellectual and temperamental chops to manage the US's affairs?

I find that astounding.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Assuming you were responding to my comment about people resenting others who have it easier...

Take someone who has gone through the immigration process and becomes a citizen. They might resent someone who enters illegally and gets amnesty so they vote for someone who is anti-amnesty.

Someone who struggled and paid off their student debt might resent a proposal to forgive existing student debt.
I happen to have done both. I honestly can't bring myself to be resentful of those who've accomplished what I did through luck or by other means. I guess I'm not sufficiently small minded. Or maybe I understand that immigration is a difficult process at best of times. It can't have been easy for those who did it illegally and I believe that it was done out of desperation rather than taking the easy path. As to student loan forgiveness... for all the talk of wanting things to be easier for our kids than for us, lots of people sure don't vote in line with their alleged goals.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:55 AM

I suggest you watch Russell Brand interview Candace Owens. Start at 33:00 for a direct answer to the OP, but I highly recommend the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-OeKV1JZGI
Old 11-23-2019, 12:21 PM

For one thing, there are some minorities who vote Trump/GOP for the same exact reasons that many whites do: they're rich and they don't want to be taxed. So there's the self-interest factor at work.

But going back to something that I and others might have touched on earlier, I think there are some individuals who don't want to be seen as a minority; they want to be "American," whatever that is. They don't want to be part of a special, protected class. I think Sheriff David Clarke is a good example of this, having grown up in a military family, raised by lighter skin black American parents who managed to find ways to fit into broader society.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
I suggest you watch Russell Brand interview Candace Owens. Start at 33:00 for a direct answer to the OP, but I highly recommend the whole thing.
I watched it. All of it. For the research.

I won't rebut her errors, hypocrisy and outright falsehoods because it's all been done before. However, here's what I concluded from that video and from Candace Owens, specifically:

Minorities who support Trump share the same myopic greed and callous selfishness which motivates every Trump supporter. They see their value system reflected and projected by Trump.

What did you get out of it?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
For one thing, there are some minorities who vote Trump/GOP for the same exact reasons that many whites do: they're rich and they don't want to be taxed.
Then this POTUS raised their taxes with arbitrary tariffs. Sucks to be fooled.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Nobody who didn't already support the types of things Trump supported switched sides because people were mean to them.
You’re coming at it from the wrong side of the argument. People saying they disagree with Trump’s trade war plans because they believe they would lead to economic consequences harmful to certain economic sectors might very well be listened to. Most people are very interested in their own self interest, and will at least sometimes pay attention to warnings about dangers. What people dismiss is insults. People can actually acknowledge the truthfulness of an opponent’s argument but reject it because of how it’s presented. Open-minded ignorance can easily be overcome by greed. Close-minded ignorance can sometimes be overcome by facts and positive arguments. It’s pretty rare for someone’s opinion to be changed as a result of them being denigrated.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I watched it. All of it. For the research.

I won't rebut her errors, hypocrisy and outright falsehoods because it's all been done before. However, here's what I concluded from that video and from Candace Owens, specifically:

Minorities who support Trump share the same myopic greed and callous selfishness which motivates every Trump supporter. They see their value system reflected and projected by Trump.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Owens has appeared on fringe conspiracy websites, such as InfoWars.[3][5][7] In 2018, she was a guest host on Fox News.[3] After finding mainstream success, Owens distanced herself from the far-right conspiracy websites, although she refused to criticize InfoWars or its hosts.[3]
She's basically a right-wing Cynthia McKinney.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-23-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Sure there is. Plenty of immigrants are conservative right wingers who want to make it harder and crack down on immigrants like them who aren't rich enough or spending the time they spent to get here. They see it as they had to work hard while others get it easy. So I can certainly see why those people would support trump.

You also have the vatican cultists i mean evangelicals who overwhelmingly support Trump. I don't think they're mistaken in their beliefs, their beliefs are pretty fucking evil so they're just going with the flow. Theres more than just delusional idiots who emotionally invested themselves into positions without sufficient information and refuse to change their position.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Why should this be surprising at all? For one thing, Blacks and Hispanics are the two most socially conservative cohorts in the Democratic coalition. They are the most religious cohorts in the coalition as well. As the 'face' of the Democratic party moves away from old civil rights leaders who pushed for equality and better living standards for blacks and other minorities and becomes more the face of young white atheist urban professionals pushing social justice issues for LGBT people, feminists and immigrants, I would expect the Republicans to continue peeling off black voters.

Blacks and Hispanics are more heavily impacted by illegal immigration and trade liberalization. It shouldn't be surprising that they might like Trump's trade protectionism and border policies. And since their incomes and jobs have improved as Trump has slapped trade tariffs on competitors and enforced borders, it shouldn't be surprising that they might credit him with the improvements in their lives.

These are the pocketbook issues that seem to be ignored by the Democrats. Black and Hispanic unemployment is at an all-time low, and incomes in both groups are rising rapidy, after falling dramatically through most of Obama's 8 years. Whether Trump did anything for that is debatable, but Presidents get the credit when things are going well, and the blame when they aren't.

You guys have convinced yourselves so strongly that we are in dire straits that you've ignored the fact that for a lot of blue-collar Americans, and especially for Blacks and Hispanics, things are going better right now than they have since at least the mid-2000's, and maybe even longer.

I don't know if these polls are outliers or not, but both the Emerson and Rasmussen tracking polls have Black support for Trump at 34%. And Hispanic support at 38%. Both among likely voters. These are huge numbers - in the last election, Trump got 8% of the Black vote. If he gets 34% this time, that will translate into about 5 million more votes - if he had that last time, the election would have been a landslide in both the electoral college and the popular vote. If Trump even doubles his Black support to 16% it will be very hard for Democrats to win.

Maybe the Democratic party needs to look at its own messaging, and the people it has chosen to be its standard bearers. If you continue to replace old black civil rights leaders in Congress and other old-style Democrats who built that coalition of minorities in favor of 'woke' socialists and young white college educated social justice types, expect to continue losing support from your traditional minority communities.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I don't know if these polls are outliers or not, but both the Emerson and Rasmussen tracking polls have Black support for Trump at 34%. And Hispanic support at 38%.
I don't know about Emerson but Rasmussen always skews to the right.