Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 AM

To anyone out there who is among the 28% of the Trump Hispanic vote: He f***ing hates you and thinks you and your country are dirt! Congratulations for being totally gullible idiots. LOL

Last edited by Jasmine; 01-15-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Beto "O-Rourke" dropped out of the Democratic primary nearly two months ago.
Yes, but obviously from some of the people on this board, many democrats support this view and I have no doubt if a democrat wins it will be the new policy. If you dont bow down to the gay flag your church will lose its tax exempt status.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
He said it. Some blacks like some whites have not bought into the whole SJW thing and have no problem with Trump. Some like their company health insurance and don't want to see the system bombed and rebuilt. Some like their church that has opposed SSM since it's founding and don't want to have to increase donations X% to keep the same level of church services. Some are anti-abortion. Some don't favor LGBTQ, etc.

For the same reason many whites do. Just because someone is black does not mean that they tick off all of the boxes on the Democratic Party platform. That's a good answer. I don't understand why that is so hard to believe.
I agree.

The democrats might look up the Blexit movement and listen to what people like Candace Owens are saying.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
I agree.

The democrats might look up the Blexit movement and listen to what people like Candace Owens are saying.
You know Candace Owens isn't sincere right? She just realized there were more fame and money in being a Trump conservative.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:37 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
* Put children in cages and rip suckling infants from their mothers' breasts
Are you speaking metaphorically?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, but obviously from some of the people on this board, many democrats support this view and I have no doubt if a democrat wins it will be the new policy. If you dont bow down to the gay flag your church will lose its tax exempt status.
The GOP, Trump, and Rush Limbaugh thank you (and laugh at you behind your back) for accepting without question the bullshit propaganda they spread about the party they oppose. Newsflash -- most Democrats, and most Democratic politicians, do not favor removing tax-exempt status from any churches based on LGBTQ stance. But don't let facts get in the way of your blind acceptance of propaganda.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Are you speaking metaphorically?
Sadly, no. The inhuman ICE child separation policy resulted in exactly that, nursing infants forcibly removed from their mothers.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:07 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Sadly, no. The inhuman ICE child separation policy resulted in exactly that, nursing infants forcibly removed from their mothers.
I would love to see a cite for that. I have relatives who I would like to read it.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
One Democratic candidate out of ~20 suggested it, and promptly dropped out of the race. It's never been a plank in any Democratic manifesto, nor has it ever been suggested by a prior Democratic presidential nominee.

So you are sure "it will be the new policy" because...?
Old 01-15-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
That is fair enough and I think correct. But all the boxes in the Democratic platform that they don't tick off are far outweighed by these boxes in the Republican platform:
* Gerrymander black votes into insignificance
* Repeal the ACA and with it having children covered to age 26
* Purge black voters with some made up fig leaf justifying it
* Suspect every brown citizen of not being a citizen
* Put children in cages and rip suckling infants from their mothers' breasts
* Destroy Social Security (an 80+ year crusade) and destroy Medicare (a 50+ year crusade)
* Gut environmental protections
* Bust unions

For most sensible people of all races, these Republican positions outweigh by far any concerns they may have with the Democratic platform.
Is this thread about "sensible people of all races" or is it "Minorities who support Trump-why?"

As it is the latter, I'll take each of your points. They believe just like many whites that:

1) Remember, they are Trump supporters. Some gerrymanders work in their favor. Unless they live in Maryland.

2) Their "kids" are adults and supporting themselves by age 26. To hell with those other freeloaders.

3) They aren't convicted felons. Not purged from the rolls.

4) Never have been suspected as being a non-citizen.

5) If the mother's didn't want to be separated from their children, then don't break the law. When their brother got a DUI, he was separated from his kids.

6) Good. Don't want the government handouts anyways. They invested in the company 401k and have their own. Didn't waste it all on the latest Iphone and fancy vacations.

7) Believe that environmental protections are far better now than in their childhood.

8) Unions have outlived their usefulness.

What about that list are blacks not capable of believing? Or again, does your party control blacks so much such that this sort of thinking against your dictates is unfathomable?
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:

3) They aren't convicted felons. Not purged from the rolls.
Bullpucky. People have been purged from rolls for failing to return a postcard to verify that they are still at the same address.

Quote:
2) Their "kids" are adults and supporting themselves by age 26. To hell with those other freeloaders.
Those kids often still have low-status jobs that offer crappy, if any, health insurance.

Quote:
Good. Don't want the government handouts anyways. They invested in the company 401k and have their own. Didn't waste it all on the latest Iphone and fancy vacations
Not a handout, these are programs that help the working poor.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
The GOP, Trump, and Rush Limbaugh thank you (and laugh at you behind your back) for accepting without question the bullshit propaganda they spread about the party they oppose. Newsflash -- most Democrats, and most Democratic politicians, do not favor removing tax-exempt status from any churches based on LGBTQ stance. But don't let facts get in the way of your blind acceptance of propaganda.
Look at Quicksilvers post #84 and #86 above and tell me again no democrats want this.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Look at Quicksilvers post #84 and #86 above and tell me again no democrats want this.
I didn't say no Democrats -- I said the vast majority of Democrats, both in and out of office, have no interest in this.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Democrat.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearsen1 View Post
I'd like to interject that raising taxes (directly ) and raising taxes indirectly (tariffs)
are taken vastly different, can you understand why?
Yes. Direct taxes require passage by both houses, and a presidential signature. Tariffs are applied arbitrarily by the executive alone with no constraint except veto-proof votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
To anyone out there who is among the 28% of the Trump Hispanic vote: He f***ing hates you and thinks you and your country are dirt! Congratulations for being totally gullible idiots. LOL
Fed enough propaganda, many can be persuaded to vote against their own interests. Cf Kansas.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_lobo View Post
Many white women are bigots. They grew up in the same households as conservative white men. They are not feminists. There is no mystery.
I agree, I'm just confused why of every group that the GOP is hostile to, why are women one of the few loyal ones?

Nonchristians and atheists are overwhelmingly democrats. LBGTQ are overwhelmingly democrat. Non-whites are overwhelmingly democrats. etc.

But women as a group are at best mildly democratic. It curious why being a woman is the one group the GOP is aggressive and hostile towards that still identifies with the party.

Like with race or religion, it doesn't seem to matter what race or religion you are, if you aren't white or christian you tend to be a democrat because the GOP is openly hostile to non-whites and non-christians. Black, latino, indian, native american, asian, atheist, muslim, hindu, etc. People know what the GOP 'really' stands for and people who know it'll victimize them reject the party and what it stands for. Women in the GOP on the other hand seem to be more ok with being treated as second class citizens more than people who identify with their race or religion for some reason.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-15-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
curious why being a woman is the one group the GOP is aggressive and hostile towards that still identifies with the party.
The best explanation may be that the 53% of white women who voted for Trump genuinely do not feel that Republicans are hostile or aggressive to them; indeed, they may find it a cozy, familiar and welcoming environment.

Incidentally, it's noteworthy that we don't have a single conservative woman here on the Dope (at least as far as I know of.) We've had a black conservative, Hispanic conservatives, Asian conservatives, atheist conservatives, etc. - but not a woman conservative here, despite women being demographically more numerous than those other categories.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
You just made my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Certainly, you're not arguing that income inequality isn't growing?

Piketty, T., & Saez, E. (2014). Inequality in the long run. Science, 344(6186), 838-843.

Tsui, A. S., Enderle, G., & Jiang, K. (2018). Income inequality in the United States: Reflections on the role of corporations.

Saez, E. (2018). Striking it richer: The evolution of top incomes in the United States. In Inequality in the 21st Century (pp. 39-42). Routledge.

Saez, E., & Zucman, G. (2016). Wealth inequality in the United States since 1913: Evidence from capitalized income tax data. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 131(2), 519-578.

Smith, A. D. (2019). Income Inequality, Polarization and Electoral Politics in the United States (Doctoral dissertation, Georgetown University).

Jones, C. I., & Kim, J. (2018). A Schumpeterian model of top income inequality. Journal of Political Economy, 126(5), 1785-1826.

And so on.
“The Truth About Income Inequality”, The Wall Street Journal.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tru...ty-11572813786
Old 01-16-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I agree, I'm just confused why of every group that the GOP is hostile to, why are women one of the few loyal ones?
Because under no reasonable metric is the GOP hostile to women. Unless you think that women as a whole simply want to be able to have as many abortions as possible.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Because under no reasonable metric is the GOP hostile to women.
Unless celebrating gropers and sexual assaulters, and acting against serious and thorough investigations into rape and sexual assault, counts as "hostile to women". I think it counts, but YMMV.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Some People: Why do minorities/women vote for Trump?
Other People: Because X, Y, and Z
Some People: But that's WRONG!! and it's NOT TRUE!!

Y'see, all my life I've seen people acting on information and premises that are wrong and/or not true in matters both routine and critical. So it does happen. Repeating "but that's wrong and not true" does not make it not be what was on the voters' mind when they did it.

Sure, I agree, NOBODY sensible should have fallen for Trumps' bull but that argument needed to have been made, aggressively and implacably and pulling no punches, by the entire GOP establishment from the very day he announced. Instead they danced around it avoiding direct confrontation, in the hope that when he would "inevitably" quit they'd harvest his fans, until it was too damn late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
The best explanation may be that the 53% of white women who voted for Trump genuinely do not feel that Republicans are hostile or aggressive to them; indeed, they may find it a cozy, familiar and welcoming environment.

Incidentally, it's noteworthy that we don't have a single conservative woman here on the Dope (at least as far as I know of.) We've had a black conservative, Hispanic conservatives, Asian conservatives, atheist conservatives, etc. - but not a woman conservative here, despite women being demographically more numerous than those other categories.
Errrmm... You do understand that when it comes down to it, we here could all be classified as alt-media nerds (the Straight Dope having been born in the alternative press of the 70s) wherein the female demographic is kind of underrepresented to begin with. But that could get us looped back into a whole 'nother discussion about "unwelcoming environments" that we've been having here on the Dope for years.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Some People: Why do minorities/women vote for Trump?
Other People: Because X, Y, and Z
Some People: But that's WRONG!! and it's NOT TRUE!!
Exactly. Some people don't understand that whether a perception is true or not is irrelevant as far as voting is concerned - and also much less important than whether the perception exists or not.

If John Smith the gun owner believes that Democrats are going to come snatch his guns away, he's going to vote against the D's. Whether that belief is well-founded or not is absolutely irrelevant in the ballot booth.

Last edited by Velocity; 01-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know Candace Owens isn't sincere right? She just realized there were more fame and money in being a Trump conservative.
Cite
Old 01-16-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Cite
Her usefulness as a token to people like you?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unless celebrating gropers and sexual assaulters, and acting against serious and thorough investigations into rape and sexual assault, counts as "hostile to women". I think it counts, but YMMV.
You mean Bill Clinton? No, wait... Maybe Teddy Kennedy? Ralph Northam? Still in the good graces of the Democratic party, despite wearing blackface and posing with a goof in a Klan outfit. John Conyers Junior? Maybe Senator Franken doesn't quite count, as he only pretended to grope a woman.

And Hollywood is both about 90% Democrat, and a sea of sexual exploitation.

The truth is, sexual exploitation is about power, not ideology. There are as many sexual abusers among Democrats as there are among Republicans. And there are just as many people on both sides willing to look the other way and 'move on' when a sexual predator is politically powerful and aligned with their ideology.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because under no reasonable metric is the GOP hostile to women. Unless you think that women as a whole simply want to be able to have as many abortions as possible.
Also, the Democrats have been hostile to white males, and who do you think is married to white males? White females, mostly. What hurts their husbands hurts them.

That's one reason why you see a huge split between single and married women. Single women vote for Democrats, and married women are more likely to vote Republican.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:06 PM

Please explain how the Democrats have been hostile to white males. I am one, and I haven't a clue what you are on about.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Please explain how the Democrats have been hostile to white males. I am one, and I haven't a clue what you are on about.
I think this explains the "why do white women vote for Trump when the GOP hates women?" question, just from the opposite stance. Many women or minorities who vote GOP, when asked, "Why do you vote for the party hostile to you?" would respond the same way.

Before someone says "Not both sides!" or "the Republicans ARE hostile to women!" - it's the perception that matters, and if a Republican voter doesn't feel oppressed by their own party, they don't feel oppressed.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:04 PM

You're not helping explain anything but to underscore the ways in which they act out based on irrational feelings rather than well informed decisions. Their perceptions are wrong.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
You mean Bill Clinton? No, wait... Maybe Teddy Kennedy?
Those assholes are dead or out of office. The Democratic party used to be just like the Republican party -- tolerant of rape. Now it's not. It's actually changed for the better (if not nearly good enough), while the Republicans have gotten much worse.

Quote:
Ralph Northam? Still in the good graces of the Democratic party, despite wearing blackface and posing with a goof in a Klan outfit.
Good graces? Most Democrats recommended he resign. He has absolutely no future in the party. I'm sure the Republicans would welcome him. But I'm unaware of any accusations of sexual assault against Northam anyway, so I'm not sure how he's relevant here.

Quote:
John Conyers Junior? Maybe Senator Franken doesn't quite count, as he only pretended to grope a woman.
Both were pushed to resign by the party. They left because the party has actually improved. At the same time, the Republicans celebrate and defend their groper/rapist in chief.

Quote:
And Hollywood is both about 90% Democrat, and a sea of sexual exploitation.
Just as the Catholic and Evangelical churches are overwhelmingly Republican, and are as much, if not more, a "sea of sexual exploitation".

Quote:
The truth is, sexual exploitation is about power, not ideology. There are as many sexual abusers among Democrats as there are among Republicans. And there are just as many people on both sides willing to look the other way and 'move on' when a sexual predator is politically powerful and aligned with their ideology.
This used to be true. Not any more. Now the Democratic party has actually improved and proved that they've improved -- see Franken and many others. The Democrats actually kick out their abusers. The Republicans celebrate and elevate theirs.

The parties aren't the same on everything. On some issues, they're actually different. This is one of them, and many of the examples you brought up prove it -- the modern Democratic party pushes out their abusers, gropers, and rapists, while the modern Republican party celebrates and elevates theirs.

I oppose rape and sexual assault, and I oppose the Party of Rape/Sexual Assault (i.e. the GOP). I urge others to also fight against this party that celebrates and elevates the abusers of women among them.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-16-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You're not helping explain anything but to underscore the ways in which they act out based on irrational feelings rather than well informed decisions. Their perceptions are wrong.
Yes.

However ISTM that IS an explanation to why the vote was what it was. What you seem to be objecting to is the lack of a satisfactory answer as to how could they possibly have developed that wrong perception.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Abortion is largely a proxy for controlling a woman's body and controlling her decisions. The GOP is also making inroads on birth control too for the same reason.

Trumpism is alienating women a little bit, so there is that.

https://www.vox.com/2016/11/1/134804...porters-sexism

https://psmag.com/social-justice/mor...-trump-victory
Old 01-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Her usefulness as a token to people like you?
People like me? That’s no cite.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Abortion is largely a proxy for controlling a woman's body and controlling her decisions. The GOP is also making inroads on birth control too for the same reason.

Trumpism is alienating women a little bit, so there is that.

https://www.vox.com/2016/11/1/134804...porters-sexism

https://psmag.com/social-justice/mor...-trump-victory
All laws control your decisions. I cannot inject heroin into my body, for example, and I must wear a seat belt around my body in a car. Nobody has absolute freedom to make whatever choice they desire simply because it's their body. That argument is really a red herring. But this isn't an abortion debate; I was responding to the idea that women as a whole must positively hate the GOP because they won't permit them to have abortions.

This idea that women as a whole are demanding the right to abortion is simply not true. A sizable number of women do not support legal abortion, so they don't feel oppressed by this policy in any way.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
She still won more votes but her supermajority wasn't enough. The US installs losers. What a system!
i was only referring to white women voters
Old 01-17-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Because the modern GOP is a white nationalist party that is actively hostile to the well being of non-whites, and no matter how much PR and disinformation the GOP throws at this issue, pretty much everyone knows and understands this fact. The GOP over the last 50 years has made a deal with southern white and rural whites to win their votes by supporting their regressive racial agenda.

The real question is why do so many white women vote GOP. Trump won about 57% of the white vote, but his share of the non-white vote was only as OP said about 8% for blacks, and about 1/4 of asians and latinos. But white women still love the GOP despite the hostility to things like reproductive rights.

However college educated white women, according to polls, are now supporting the democrats by nearly a 30 point margin in 2020.
my you conveniently ignore alleged "super liberal" JFK who also catered to Southern White vote. He asked MLK not to have march, called him ML Coon in private, refused to send Federal troops to South (that was Bobby's work), and didn't push Civil Rights Bill--that was LBJ who did
Old 01-17-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
One Democratic candidate out of ~20 suggested it, and promptly dropped out of the race. It's never been a plank in any Democratic manifesto, nor has it ever been suggested by a prior Democratic presidential nominee.

So you are sure "it will be the new policy" because...?
because the LGBTQ caucus has more clout in DNP and celebrity followers than church crowd
Old 01-17-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Bullpucky. People have been purged from rolls for failing to return a postcard to verify that they are still at the same address.

Those kids often still have low-status jobs that offer crappy, if any, health insurance.

Not a handout, these are programs that help the working poor.
"working poor"? Welfare mothers (too busy screwing around to seek work) spreading legs and having babies with no man to support them, knowing Gov't will subsidize their life-style
Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
You just made my point.

“The Truth About Income Inequality”, The Wall Street Journal.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tru...ty-11572813786
As this economist puts it, the authors of that opinion are still just selling a lot of bull.

https://ctexaminer.com/2019/11/15/op...reatest-trick/
Quote:
Perhaps what is most unforgivable in Gramm and Early’s effort, though, is the fact that they fail to cite the work of predecessors using the same technique. The main thrust of their argument is that one must adjust income for taxes and transfers in order to evaluate whether income is truly unequal.

In theory a government could create a perfectly equal post-tax income distribution by positively taxing the rich and negatively taxing (paying) the poor in just the right way. Gramm and Early wrongly imply this is happening far more than commonly understood.

Thomas Piketty earned his PhD in economics from the London School of Economics at an age when most people are struggling to finish undergraduate studies on time. He then taught as a faculty member at MIT. In 2017, he and his co-authors published an extensive paper on American inequality in the Quarterly Journal of Economics (one of the best journals in our field) using the post-tax adjustment which Gramm and Early erroneously suggest is novel to 2019.
Quote:
If income were a NASCAR race, the richest among us would start the race in pole position and travel at a speed more than 9 times faster than the poorest among us, even after the government put a limiter on the engines of the rich, and gave a “boost” to the engines of the poor. We are growing farther and farther apart. Our society is increasingly unequal.

Don’t let Gramm, Early, and their friends at the Wall Street Journal succeed at the devil’s gambit. Severe inequality exists in America and it is getting worse.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
because the LGBTQ caucus has more clout in DNP and celebrity followers than church crowd
That sound appropriate, since the LGBTQ movement has been about advancing civil rights and the "church crowd", in modern times at least, has been about restricting them.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
my you conveniently ignore alleged "super liberal" JFK who also catered to Southern White vote. He asked MLK not to have march, called him ML Coon in private, refused to send Federal troops to South (that was Bobby's work), and didn't push Civil Rights Bill--that was LBJ who did
I know. But when LBJ passed the civil rights act and voting rights act, there was a realignment and southern whites became overwhelmingly republican.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
"working poor"? Welfare mothers (too busy screwing around to seek work) spreading legs and having babies with no man to support them, knowing Gov't will subsidize their life-style
It would be interesting to see this Reagan era bit of propaganda substantiated with facts. The 1986 tax "reform" eliminated most of the ways in which anyone could actually be guaranteed a living wage by simply having babies. That this nonsense is still floating around 23 years later demonstrates the depths to which some in the far right will stoop just to hate on poor people.
And even under the pre-1986 laws, your claim about the working poor is utter nonsense, since your "welfare mothers" claim would have excluded such persons as they were not working.

Bureau of Labor Statistics report on Working Poor
Old 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM

Being one of the "Good One's" has always been a profitable enterprise. At least in the short term for those lucky few it works for.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
Just as the Catholic and Evangelical churches are overwhelmingly Republican, and are as much, if not more, a "sea of sexual exploitation".
According to Pew Research, Catholics are 37% Republican or leaning but 44% Democratic or leaning. (Catholic hierarchy, which is where the majority of abuse issues occur, may well be predominantly Republican, although they, too, have begun making efforts to reduce tolerance of abuse.)
The celibate priesthood is an 1100 year tradition, (older in some places), that will probably take longer to change although there are voices calling for that change, now.
In the U.S., the number of Catholics expressing openness to Same Sex Marriage exceeds 50%.

Last edited by tomndebb; 01-17-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-17-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
2. If you ever watch professional wrestling, there’s always a guy who’s designated as the “heel” – the pantomime villain no one’s supposed to like. Funnily enough, lots of people cheer for the heel.
This. And did you know that there’s a WWE wrestler that goes by the moniker “The Progressive Liberal”? Not exclusive a heel, but he takes on the heel role in conservative venues. He’s known for things like wearing a Hillary sweatshirt and yelling “You’re voting against your own self interest!

Also, Hillary reminded too many guys of their ex-wife.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
The 1986 tax "reform" eliminated most of the ways in which anyone could actually be guaranteed a living wage by simply having babies. That this nonsense is still floating around 23 years later demonstrates the depths to which some in the far right will stoop just to hate on poor people.
(My emphasis)
That’s actually 33 (going on 34), not 23, years ago.

Crazy, I know.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Quote:
That'll for sure earn you a warning, fedman. Hell, I'd award two if I could.

No more like that.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
2. If you ever watch professional wrestling, there’s always a guy who’s designated as the “heel” – the pantomime villain no one’s supposed to like. Funnily enough, lots of people cheer for the heel.
I own a fairly large pro wrestling discussion community. the majority of the membership is minority men. I would say most are apolitical but many love heels and even WWE hall of Famer Donald Trump. Any time Hulk Hogan is mentioned, there is a lot of passionate defense of his racist statements.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I am not sure if this is true or not, but I DO know that many white males (in the podcast/Youtube/social "influencer"/minor party ideology/political pundit spheres) who previously opposed most of Trump's agenda and personality became pro-Trumpers for the $$$ and notoriety. So, it seems reasonable that some minorities did as well and it would be a lot easier to stand out and get speaking invites and media gigs/book deals, etc.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Look at #walkaway , started by an openly gay Hollywood guy. Brandon Straka.

Last edited by eenerms; 01-18-2020 at 11:23 AM.