Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 PM

"Mike" Bloomberg Presidential campaign, 2020

I just saw a "Mike" Bloomberg ad where he claimed he has stood up to "this administration". When? He left office as mayor before Individual 1 took office.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 AM
BANNED

I think there's very little more telling of the state of modern American politics than a billionaire starting his campaign by spending more on ads than anyone ever had... from his own pockets, without significantly impacting his own wealth, explicitly to fight against people on the left who want him to pay more taxes.

Quote:
Bloomberg is running in part because he opposes the progressive candidates' "extreme wealth taxes" which would see him paying $3.7b under a Sanders presidency, $3b under a Warren presidency or $512m under a Steyer presidency -- per year.

That $32m that Bloomberg has dumped into his ad-buy? It's 1.1% of the tax bill he'd owe under Warren in the first year.

Lavish political spending is a rational calculus when it comes to the ultra-rich: the Kochs -- who have been pouring money into oligarch-friendly organizations and campaigns for a generation -- have seen a massive return on their investments. Amazon was making a similar calculus when it dumped unprecedented sums into the local Seattle elections -- though Amazon's investment failed in large part because the impropriety was so blatant that it motivated voters to cast ballots against it.
To which there really is only one response that I can dignify this with. Starts with a "G", looks sharp on billionaires.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM

Greatcoats?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Greatcoats?
I was going with Gucci but sure, that works too.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 AM

If he wanted a centrist candidate, his timing could not possibly have been worse. Buttigieg was just catching fire and was tied with Sanders and Warren to win at 23% on PredictiT. Now Buttigieg is down to 18% last I looked. I like Bloomberg but he's an idiot to split off the centrist vote from Buttigieg at the moment.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
If he wanted a centrist candidate, his timing could not possibly have been worse. Buttigieg was just catching fire and was tied with Sanders and Warren to win at 23% on PredictiT. Now Buttigieg is down to 18% last I looked. I like Bloomberg but he's an idiot to split off the centrist vote from Buttigieg at the moment.
Its hard to take Butigieg seriously. He has never gotten more than 10,991 votes in an election.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Its hard to take Butigieg seriously. He has never gotten more than 10,991 votes in an election.
OK, Republican talking point.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Trump had 0 votes before he got elected. As did Bloomberg for Mayor. I trust prediction markets over polls and those had him dead even at the top
Old 11-27-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post

To which there really is only one response that I can dignify this with. Starts with a "G", looks sharp on billionaires.
I was thinking "Guillotine".
Old 12-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Do you want to see a room full of staffers dancing to a song called "Moves Like Bloomberg"?

Probably not, but if you do: https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/sta...54210465742848
Old 12-15-2019, 10:08 AM

He's running plenty of ads on TV here in NC. I see them as I fast forward past them on recorded shows.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:16 AM

I hope he becomes the Democratic candidate because of none of the rest of them have a chance. Their reaction to him joining the race is the proof of that.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Itís hard to take the US Senate seriously. No bill has ever gotten more than 100 votes.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
Do you want to see a room full of staffers dancing to a song called "Moves Like Bloomberg"?

Probably not, but if you do: https://twitter.com/nickciarelli/sta...54210465742848
In case you didnít know, this was satire.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:37 PM

Who is his voting base?

My impression is black people don't really like him due to things like stop and frisk.

Liberals don't really like him due to the fact that he is just running to oppose Sanders & Warren's progressive taxes on wealth and income.

Liberals and blacks make up nearly 3/4 of all democratic voters when combined. How is he going to win a primary?

I do worry that lots of billionaires will fund 3rd party runs and fund the GOP to stop the democrats if Warren or Sanders is the nominee.

Then again, NYC is full of black people and liberals and he won the mayoral race there.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-15-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

To add to that: Libertarians and many Republicans dislike him because he's a nanny-statist who never saw a problem that couldn't be solved by making something illegal.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I hope he becomes the Democratic candidate because of none of the rest of them have a chance. Their reaction to him joining the race is the proof of that.
He;s an opportunist who's only a Democrat when it benefits him. Just like Bernie.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

And even more, the political junkies that have been following this from the beginning don’t like people like Steyer or Bloomberg who jump in late and eschew the usual retail politics of primary campaigns.

It may seem hokey to have to meet with people at a county fair in Iowa or a diner in NH, but I want the President to remember those faces when s/he has to get on tv to respond to a terror attack that killed thousands, a massive hurricane causing destruction of thousands of homes, or that s/he wants to send troops off to war.

Bloomberg and Steyer look like two jewellery companies jumping in with advertising during the Christmas through Valentines time frame.

Last edited by dalej42; 12-15-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:55 PM

He's on TV more than Law and Order reruns.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Isn't Bloomberg the Nannystate doofus that wanted to ban Big Gulp sodas? His stance on guns is disqualifying for me anyway, but
the soda thing was annoying.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 AM

ABC News has a detailed article about sexual harassment allegations against Bloomberg: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bloo...ry?id=67744180
Old 12-17-2019, 10:03 PM

We're getting a lot of Bloomberg ads here in CA as well. My question - he says "...the wealthy pay their fair share..." What does that mean, exactly? I know there is always that "sock it to the rich" mentality but I am not clear on what he is signalling, and it goes against what some have posted here in this thread.

Also, I wish Bloomberg woulda run as a Republican in order to Nader the Trump voting block.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
He;s an opportunist who's only a Democrat when it benefits him. Just like Bernie.
For that matter, just like Trump.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 AM

I would support Bloomberg in a heartbeat. My only beef with him is his nanny state ideas, but that doesn't really apply to national politics anyway.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
We're getting a lot of Bloomberg ads here in CA as well. My question - he says "...the wealthy pay their fair share..." What does that mean, exactly? I know there is always that "sock it to the rich" mentality but I am not clear on what he is signalling, and it goes against what some have posted here in this thread.

Also, I wish Bloomberg woulda run as a Republican in order to Nader the Trump voting block.
It means he is only running because he is afraid of Bernie and Warren's wealth tax proposals.

Someone did the math once, Bloomberg has spent a small fraction of what he'd pay in one year in wealth taxes on his political ads. He spent something like 35 million on ads which is a small percent of what he would pay annually under a wealth tax.

He is just trying to prevent a wealth tax from passing into law. That's probably his sole motivation.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-18-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
It means he is only running because he is afraid of Bernie and Warren's wealth tax proposals.

Someone did the math once, Bloomberg has spent a small fraction of what he'd pay in one year in wealth taxes on his political ads. He spent something like 35 million on ads which is a small percent of what he would pay annually under a wealth tax.

He is just trying to prevent a wealth tax from passing into law. That's probably his sole motivation.
I highly doubt that. Heís smart enough to know that the wealth tax is DOA in the Senate along with most of the Warren/Bernie fantasies.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I highly doubt that. Heís smart enough to know that the wealth tax is DOA in the Senate along with most of the Warren/Bernie fantasies.
True, a wealth tax won't pass. But I think Bloomberg, Steyer, the starbucks guy, etc are trying to hold back the rising tide of wealth taxes that are being proposed.

Even if the dems win the presidency and senate we won't get a wealth tax in 2021.

But we may get one down the road, and I think they know it.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:38 PM

Unlikely. the wealth tax is a proposal that is designed to fix a political problem(voter resistance to taxes), rather than an actual revenue problem. Such things don't tend to remain problems for long. 10 years from now either voter resistance to taxes will subside, or the poiltical class will have resigned themselves to working within the limits of actual revenue streams rather than trying to get cute and creative.

In addition, wealth taxes have an extensive empirical history in other countries and have been utter disappointments in every one. While I realize that the progressive true believers are immune to empiricism, the Democratic base believes in science and doesn't tend to tolerate ideas that are proven failures for long. Once the smart folks at Vox and Think Progress and Brookings spend enough time ripping apart the wealth tax idea it'll lose favor among the educated class that runs the Democratic Party pretty fast.

Last edited by adaher; 12-18-2019 at 04:41 PM.