Old 12-19-2019, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
See a certain president behind bars.
Should that be high on the priority list of a Democratic presidency and congress? Let New York prosecute Trump. I understand they have enough material to tie him up in court for probably the rest of his life, and those will be state charges, so the next Republican president won't be able to pardon him.

Best to get Trump as far off the national stage as possible. Let him go back to what he was in the 1980s; New York's local embarrassment.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
And, although I cannot speak for iiandyiiii, it seems quite clear to me that adding Senate and EC representation for these 51st and 52nd states would make better future outcomes more likely.
And making better future outcomes should never be top priority when there are things that needed to be fixed yesterday.

People are calling it the number one priority. That means that, if they could get nothing else done, they would do this one thing. I count at most 10 EC votes from this--not enough to have beaten Trump. There are 2 more Senate seats--not remotely enough to get anything done there.

The reason to bring them in as States isn't any sort of political advantage, but to right the wrong that they are part of the US but don't get fair representation. And I understand that principle. But it's hardly a first order of business action.

I don't not support it. I don't support it as the number 1 priority that we should pull out all the stops for, possibly accomplishing nothing else. That's what a top priority is--that which you could not go without.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:22 AM

DC already has EC representation. Getting DC and PR isn't about the EC, it's about the Senate. 4 new Democratic Senators. It's the right thing, because these folks are Americans, but they don't have representation in the House and Senate. But more urgently important than that, the future of this country is in immediate mortal danger, due to the corruption and immorality of the present version of the Republican party, and the undemocratic nature of the Senate. Adding PR and DC as states doesn't fix this, but it helps balance against it in a pretty significant way.

In short, the country is fucked if we don't fight with every weapon available against the corrupt, immoral GOP. Adding these states is probably the most powerful weapon, short term, and thus must be the first priority.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:35 AM

I'm gonna add to my previous abbreviated list.

Increase the size of the House, using the "Wyoming Rule," for future apportionment. That will result in fairer representation and dilute the built-in Republican/rural state advantage by a little bit at the same time.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
I'm gonna add to my previous abbreviated list.

Increase the size of the House, using the "Wyoming Rule," for future apportionment. That will result in fairer representation and dilute the built-in Republican/rural state advantage by a little bit at the same time.
I'm in favor of this too.