View Poll Results: Who is your top choice in the primary field?
Joe Biden 22 21.78%
Bernie Sanders 14 13.86%
Liz Warren 28 27.72%
Pete Buttigieg 17 16.83%
Cory Booker 5 4.95%
Andrew Yang 7 6.93%
Amy Klobuchar 3 2.97%
Other 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Democratic primary poll

Since I've dropped back in, I'm interested in where the SDMB community is right now on this race.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:23 PM

Biden.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:24 PM

Poll just went up
Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Buttigieg is my number one choice. I’m backing that up with donations and volunteer work.

Last edited by dalej42; 12-06-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Biden.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:12 PM

You forgot Mayor Mike. I chose Joe, tho
Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Biden has astounding levels of support with Black voters. If Democrats would like to show that they respect this, they can support Biden. If Democrats would like to take the Black vote for granted, they can ignore this. Also, Biden can beat Trump. Any of the other candidates, (except Bernie. Go away, Bernie, just fucking go away already.) would make a fine VP. Harris included, even though she dropped out.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 PM

I like Bloomberg. But I doubted he had much support here so I just through him in the Other category.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:16 PM
BANNED

Man, I can't wait to see how dopers react to a Sanders presidency.

Edit: why would anyone support pete? This is suppose to be a substance based forums, yet this election cycle you guys have really been off when it comes to the substance. I remember a time when straightdope was all about the nuance of policy and merit to them. Now you all you got is "he's young, white, and handsome". I guess it's because Sanders is the only one with actual proposals for change, and nobody wants to talk the substance of his policies so they have to resort to making emotional based arguments about how they feel and think others feel.

Last edited by Barack Obama; 12-06-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Biden has astounding levels of support with Black voters. If Democrats would like to show that they respect this, they can support Biden. If Democrats would like to take the Black vote for granted, they can ignore this.
Is there evidence for a connection between Black support in the primaries, and Black turnout in the general election?

I don't think so. Hillary had tremendous Black support in the primaries, and only so-so Black turnout in the general.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama View Post
Man, I can't wait to see how dopers react to a Sanders presidency.

Edit: why would anyone support pete? This is suppose to be a substance based forums, yet this election cycle you guys have really been off when it comes to the substance. I remember a time when straightdope was all about the nuance of policy and merit to them. Now you all you got is "he's young, white, and handsome". I guess it's because Sanders is the only one with actual proposals for change, and nobody wants to talk the substance of his policies so they have to resort to making emotional based arguments about how they feel and think others feel.
Have you even read Peteís policies? Theyíre some
of the best Iíve read. I completely want the type of change offered by President Buttigieg. Do you seriously think people stomp through the snow and bundle up for the cold in IA, NH and here in Illinois just because of Peteís looks?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Buttigieg's candidacy is primarily about his character. I've seen enough campaigns to know when it's about the policies(Warren), and when the policies are just there because you have to have some. Buttigieg is clearly the latter. The policies are mainly there to signal his moderation, which makes him a heck of a lot smarter than most of his opponents. He's figured out that you can't beat Warren and Sanders on the left, but you might be able to beat Biden in the moderate lane.

I do like Pete though. He's probably the smartest person in the field and I believe he's an earnest guy. I'll vote for him in a heartbeat.

Last edited by adaher; 12-06-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Is there evidence for a connection between Black support in the primaries, and Black turnout in the general election?

I don't think so. Hillary had tremendous Black support in the primaries, and only so-so Black turnout in the general.
Wasn't it so-so only compared to Obama? If so, Obama was an outlier. We should expect any other Democrat to do about as well as Clinton or Gore or Kerry among black voters.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 PM

Interesting that the proportions seem similar to how they are in the country as a whole. Is SDMB becoming more representative of the US?
Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

I am wanting Mayor pete in 2028, after he wins the Senate or a cabinet position, and I think America will be ready then. Now? trump will slaughter him, sadly.

I will vote for whomever the Dems nominate.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
Interesting that the proportions seem similar to how they are in the country as a whole. Is SDMB becoming more representative of the US?
Don't know what the numbers were when you posted this an hour and a half ago but they aren't currently anything like national polling. But with only 31 respondents so far, I shall comment no further.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Interesting that the proportions seem similar to how they are in the country as a whole.
This place isn't really left wing as such (it's intensely partisan, which isn't the same thing) and I think the demographic breakdown of the Democratic electorate's preferences might coincidentally paper over some of the less representative characteristics of the membership here. It would be very different if, say, there was a big gender gap.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 12-07-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Warren or Sanders. Right now I have them tied.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Sanders #1, Warren #2.

Biden is now acting like an ass on the campaign trail, threatening to fight hecklers. I'm not sure what to make of that, other than he's too old & too skinny to make that threat seriously.

Buttigieg is a bizarrely inexperienced candidate with some mystery money behind him.
Klobuchar is too far to the right.
Yang is an amateur. Superficially appealing but in over his head.
Cory Booker is too close to Big Pharma.

I'd rather have Inslee or Gillibrand back than some of these mopes.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Oh.
Steyer is a worse amateur than Yang.
Bloomberg is a ridiculous piece of work who deserves entire threads dragging him.

I guess Castro isn't that bad. I had to check if he was still in it. He'd probably be my #3 choice, but that's a long way below Warren.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Biden has astounding levels of support with Black voters. If Democrats would like to show that they respect this, they can support Biden. If Democrats would like to take the Black vote for granted, they can ignore this. Also, Biden can beat Trump. Any of the other candidates, (except Bernie. Go away, Bernie, just fucking go away already.) would make a fine VP. Harris included, even though she dropped out.
You want me, as a gesture to African-Americans, to vote for a white Catholic with a vaguely segregationist background because he's presently polling well with African-Americans? (Over 45, with land lines, whatever caveats apply to that polling.)

How about I try to pick a decent candidate that we'll be happy with in several years, instead of deferring to polls shaped by the ignorance of the public?

It's not like we need Joe Biden to win. The general will be a referendum on the incumbent.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 12-07-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Have you even read Peteís policies? Theyíre some
of the best Iíve read. I completely want the type of change offered by President Buttigieg. Do you seriously think people stomp through the snow and bundle up for the cold in IA, NH and here in Illinois just because of Peteís looks?
It's fine to have ideas, but having experience on a larger stage matters, or at least it should. I don't see Buttigieg being able to withstand the kind of scrutiny that's going to come his way, and he's just now getting a taste of it.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Iím conflicted. Except for Sanders and Yang, I see strong points for all of them. But given the electoral system, itís clear that my interest in having one win the nomination is about as realistic as thinking that the Niners will win the Super Bowl if I can just cheer a little harder: in both cases, my support has literally zero to do with any outcome. Stupid primary system.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Amazingly, there's something I agree with DrDeth on. Buttigieg has a bright political future ahead of him, with the emphasis on "future" and "ahead of him". Nobody should even be considering him for President until he's had some more relevant experience.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 AM

I would enthusiastically support Bloomberg if he were to make a surge and somehow win the nomination, and I really wish the progressives would stop the gratuitous billionaire bashing. Being rich shouldn't disqualify someone from the office; being a fraudulent and criminal billionaire, should. Bloomberg is authentic, and I think he's handled his legacy as mayor of NY better than Buttigieg has handled questions about his career.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:17 AM

I voted Buttigieg. I’m closest politically to Bernie, but Buttigieg has more charisma and that’s really all there is to it. In a two horse race, the most charismatic candidate always wins. Always. If you really want to beat Trump, put forward the most charismatic candidate. Simple as that. Nothing else is even remotely important.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 AM

I voted Buttigieg. Iím closest politically to Bernie, but Buttigieg has more charisma and thatís really all there is to it. In a two horse race, the most charismatic candidate always wins. Always. If you really want to beat Trump, put forward the most charismatic candidate. Simple as that. Nothing else is even remotely important.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:27 AM

I will vote for whoever ends up being nominated, but I'd like to see the nominee be someone who will easily win the election. Right now I think that is Biden.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Interesting to see that the percentages really aren't terribly far from the national averages so far, AFAICT -- Biden (unfortunately) with a significant lead, Warren/Sanders/Buttigieg a bit behind, and then the rest in single digits.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-07-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Biden is a terrible candidate and he has proven this with his previous runs. In the 80s, he was tripped up by accusations of plagiarism. He went nowhere in his other runs, either. He's a gaffe machine, and like it or not, that will affect his poll numbers. Everyone is held to higher standards than Trump, that's just reality.

In this run, the Hunter Biden bullshit will just follow him around with the media reporting on it in its usual balanced fashion: random right wing loony says the earth is flat, experts disagree. The headline will be things like "Ukraine billionaire (or Russian investigators or Fox News or whatever) launches investigation into Hunter Biden" and three paragraphs in it will say, "no evidence of any wrongdoing has ever been found." People who don't watch Fox will just be uneasy with all the "smoke" and Fox News watchers will know Joe Biden did something wrong.

Of course, that will happen with any Democratic candidate, but they already have the playbook made up for Joe.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:58 PM

I'd be very curious to know if most Biden voters vote for him because he's their favorite candidate, vs. "we think he's got the best chance in the general".
Old 12-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I will vote for whoever ends up being nominated, but I'd like to see the nominee be someone who will easily win the election. Right now I think that is Biden.
The way things look now, it's hard to see how anyone, including Biden, wins easily on election night. At least for now, he's the candidate that is probably has the expand the map for Democrats, but in the end, I don't think the Democrats will be running against just Trump; they'll be running against the perception of where the country is, and while I still steadfastly maintain that Trump will prove to be a total disaster of a president in the long run, right now, that might not be obvious to enough people.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Biden is now acting like an ass on the campaign trail, threatening to fight hecklers. I'm not sure what to make of that, other than he's too old & too skinny to make that threat seriously.
I got this wrong. It was a challenge to a push-up contest.

Still, Biden's trying to win by acting aggressive, which maybe he can only get away with because he's older than dirt.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
You want me, as a gesture to African-Americans, to vote for a white Catholic with a vaguely segregationist background because he's presently polling well with African-Americans? (Over 45, with land lines, whatever caveats apply to that polling.)
Biden doesnt have a segregationist background. And they use several methods for polling.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
Sanders #1, Warren #2.

Buttigieg is a bizarrely inexperienced candidate with some mystery money behind him.
Klobuchar is too far to the right.
Yang is an amateur. Superficially appealing but in over his head.
Cory Booker is too close to Big Pharma.

I'd rather have Inslee or Gillibrand back than some of these mopes.
Mystery money? Thatís interesting. I still canít wait to see the Bernie Bros turn their claws onto Warren. Theyíre excellent with their misogyny and fight to the death.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:54 PM

I'd vote for Bernie in the election. No one else appeals to me in the least.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I'd vote for Bernie in the election. No one else appeals to me in the least.
Just vote for Trump then and get it over with.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:58 PM

I voted for Sanders in this poll but there's basically no daylight between him and Warren as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:36 PM

I'd prefer Warren, I'll take Biden. I don't want Bernie but I'll vote for whoever wins the primaries.

Biden would slow our long slide into the abyss. Warren might actually get shit done. Bernie wouldn't be capable of either, daylight or no with Warren.

Last edited by squeegee; 12-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I'd prefer Warren, I'll take Biden. I don't want Bernie but I'll vote for whoever wins the primaries.

Biden would slow our long slide into the abyss. Warren might actually get shit done. Bernie wouldn't be capable of either, daylight or no with Warren.
Warren would probably be more effective in some ways with the Senate. Though she hasn't been around long, she seems to have some big allies. On the other hand, I get the impression that many Dem Senators think Sanders is a bit of a clown.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the Democratic party as a whole but trump is not on that list
Old 12-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Warren would probably be more effective in some ways with the Senate. Though she hasn't been around long, she seems to have some big allies. On the other hand, I get the impression that many Dem Senators think Sanders is a bit of a clown.
Most of them do. Especially when he showed up with his secret service protection during the month when he refused to concede to Hillary.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:31 PM

Warren takes the lead! Booooo, SDMB!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Anyone but Warren or Sanders

Medicare For All will doom them in the general election.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Ah, yes, that unpopular idea of a general entitlement for...everyone.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 PM

As long as no one has to pay for it. That's what trips M4A up. Americans don't like paying for stuff.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Arden View Post
Medicare For All will doom them in the general election.
I simply canít understand the desire of some candidates to get rid of private medical insurance altogether. AFAIK, no country on Earth has that system. Even the most ďsocialistĒ European countries have room for private healthcare.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
I simply can’t understand the desire of some candidates to get rid of private medical insurance altogether. AFAIK, no country on Earth has that system.
The idea is based off of the Canadian system, where it's illegal for private insurance to cover anything that the public system covers (so you can have insurance for prescription drugs and dental care, but not insurance that gets you an MRI sooner or in a nicer facility). It would also, as written, cover a lot more than the Canadian system does, so the scope for private insurance would be much smaller than even in Canada.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 12-08-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 AM

There's no real policy reason to do that though. That's an ideological motivation and American voters don't really have much patience for getting rid of private insurance just because everyone should be equal or something.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:33 AM

Sure, but American voters are reactionary about any disruption to the health insurance system, however necessary, which is why I find it bizarre that all of the candidates are announcing, before they even know what kind of Congress they have, just how they'd like to disrupt the system. Not just Warren and Sanders, all of them. If/when Biden is the presumptive nominee, we're going to get hit with weekly corporate think tank reports, some of them quite plausible, showing that Biden has promised to raise taxes by however many billions of dollars and "take away" insurance from tens of millions of people. (His plan is for an expansive public option that will be available to anyone currently on an employer-sponsored plan. There's no way to actually make that available to people without a payroll tax to replace the employer-side premiums, at which point, lots of employers are just going to say F-it and get out. It will make the "if you like your plan" Obamacare freakout look tiny.)

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 12-08-2019 at 01:35 AM.