Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Those impeachment articles are weak, dude

Abuse of power and obstruction of justice? Even the Clinton impeachment articles were more specific than that. What President doesn't abuse his power or obstruct justice? They should have waited until they had something more specific and concrete. What has Trump done that is an unprecedented offense to the republic?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Using national security funds to extort a foreign country in order to interfere with the election...
Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Hopefully they get specific with that in the actual text of the articles.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:53 AM

I doubt it. I think they'll say "abuse of power" and when someone asks how he abused power they'll just throw their hands up and walk out of the room.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:53 AM

How about a link to the actual articles? That's something I haven't come up with yet- I just get Al Green's articles from this past summer.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Can't tell yet; all we have at the moment is a headline.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Yeah, you'd think the media would consider that important. They did think it was important enough to give us the full text of what Nancy Pelosi SAID about the impeachment articles, But not give us the text of the impeachment articles themselves.

Last edited by adaher; 12-10-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
What has Trump done that is an unprecedented offense to the republic?
Pressured a foreign government to announce an investigation into his political rival. That's specifically bribery for the purpose of getting a foreign power to intervene in the US election.

Important point #1: Had there actually been an investigation into Hunter Biden, it might provide a veneer of law enforcement justification. But there is and was no investigation, because Trump didn't actually want an investigation, he wanted Ukraine's president to make an *announcement* of an investigation.

Important point #2: Yes, Ukraine eventually got the aid released. On September 11th. Curiously this was 2 days after the House started investigating the aid holdup on September 9th. It got released because Trump's "drug deal" got exposed.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I would prefer that there be an article that the President violated 18 USC 201, in addition to the others.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Pressured a foreign government to announce an investigation into his political rival. That's specifically bribery for the purpose of getting a foreign power to intervene in the US election.

Important point #1: Had there actually been an investigation into Hunter Biden, it might provide a veneer of law enforcement justification. But there is and was no investigation, because Trump didn't actually want an investigation, he wanted Ukraine's president to make an *announcement* of an investigation.

Important point #2: Yes, Ukraine eventually got the aid released. On September 11th. Curiously this was 2 days after the House started investigating the aid holdup on September 9th. It got released because Trump's "drug deal" got exposed.
That sure sounds like an impeachable offense to me, but it also sounds like a specific violation of a couple of federal laws. I would hope they'd cite those specific violations in the articles. I'm not cool with a purely political impeachment based on their perception of what he did being wrong, rather than technically illegal.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
They should have waited until they had something more specific and concrete.
I suspect that they wanted to do exactly that, but when the Ukraine bribery scandal hit, there was too much public pressure for them to ignore such an obvious crime.

Keep in mind that SCOTUS decisions are still in the pipeline for the Mazars subpoena (which gives Congress Trump's taxes), and DeutscheBank (which gives Congress info on Trump's Russian loans). That could get decided as early as this Friday Dec 13th, though it could run a couple more months.

Over the coming days, watch Republicans start emphasizing that Democrats are moving way too slow, and need to get this done ASAP. Watch the Dems pretend to agree and pretend to comply, while they keep delaying in hopes of getting those sweet sweet financial docs, which will be a total game-changer.

If they don't get those docs soon enough, nothing prevents Dems from drafting more impeachment articles when they eventually do get them. Of course it's political and public opinion, as it always is, but if we're talking about money laundering, fraud, and worse, the public could be persuaded.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you'd think the media would consider that important. They did think it was important enough to give us the full text of what Nancy Pelosi SAID about the impeachment articles, But not give us the text of the impeachment articles themselves.
I don't think the "Media" has any text to release yet, do they? They just reported on the announcement of the articles, which is all that's happened so far. I'm sure it'll be released some time today.

Man, we're an impatient lot.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
That sure sounds like an impeachable offense to me, but it also sounds like a specific violation of a couple of federal laws. I would hope they'd cite those specific violations in the articles. I'm not cool with a purely political impeachment based on their perception of what he did being wrong, rather than technically illegal.
This is just a shell game though. If Dems name a statute, Repubs will just say this is a back-door way of criminally prosecuting the President, which is illegal. The framers provided a remedy for these shenanigans, which is to give Congress broad authority to define "high crimes and misdemeanors". This is what the American people voted for in 2018.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Oh I know Republicans will argue either way. If they cite something specific, it's a prosecution. If they are general, they say it's purely political.

Here's what I really think is going on though: citing a specific statute means Republicans can mount a specific defense, and there probably isn't enough evidence on any of his crimes to gain a conviction in a court of law. For all that the Clinton impeachment was politically motivated, they had him cold on perjury and suborning perjury.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The press can't release the text because the House hasn't yet released it. Don't let that minor detail stop you from having a merry swipe at the press, though.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Here's what I really think is going on though: citing a specific statute means Republicans can mount a specific defense, and there probably isn't enough evidence on any of his crimes to gain a conviction in a court of law.
I think there probably is plenty of evidence of his crimes, but the President can't be prosecuted, so Republicans get the advantage of the delays provided by the criminal process, without any actual criminal exposure. Win/win for Republicans. More shenanigans.

Criminal and civil proceedings are rigorous and allow broad benefit of the doubt, because the outcome is possibly deprivation of life, liberty, and property.

Impeachment isn't like that. The worst that can happen is that you don't get to be president anymore. OTOH a bad president can do serious damage to the country and the millions of people in it. That's why it's appropriate for impeachment not to be anything like a criminal proceeding.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 12-10-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Text: https://judiciary.house.gov/sites/de...mpeachment.pdf
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
I don't think the "Media" has any text to release yet, do they? They just reported on the announcement of the articles, which is all that's happened so far. I'm sure it'll be released some time today.

Man, we're an impatient lot.
Gotta start the hand-waving early.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What President doesn't abuse his power or obstruct justice? (...) What has Trump done that is an unprecedented offense to the republic?
Can you name a previous President who asked a foreign government for help in targeting a political rival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I doubt it. I think they'll say "abuse of power" and when someone asks how he abused power they'll just throw their hands up and walk out of the room.
I don't think any Democrats are going to be reluctant to talk about this issue.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 12-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:13 AM

This may be a bit of a hijack, but I’ve wondered why they haven’t charged certain individuals with Hatch Act violations. While it’s legal for the President and Vice-President to campaign for re-election during the course of their official duties, it’s not legal for his staff, aides and (I think) cabinet members to do so as part of their official taxpayer funded duties.

And this used to be taken very seriously. Kathleen Sebelius, while defending the ACA, once made a statement encouraging of Obama’s re-election. And she got into trouble for doing so. And to avoid being charged, she reimbursed the taxpayers for the entire cost of her attendance at the event, which was reclassified as a political event. Even then, some Republicans complained that she got off too easy. Those were the days.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't think any Democrats are going to be reluctant to talk about this issue.
That's sarcasm in response to one of the dumbest fucking threads I've ever seen.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
... I don't think any Democrats are going to be reluctant to talk about this issue.
Really? Even the ones in districts won by President Trump?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Basically they say he abused his power (Article 1) via the Ukraine business and obstructed Congress (Article II) by directing his people to disregard subpoenas and inquiries in direct opposition to the law.

Doesn't seem any more or less half-cooked than the articles drawn up for Clinton or Nixon.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Abuse of power and obstruction of justice is weak?

Jebus, if 43% of Americans think this way, then America is completely fraked.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Not nearly as weak as Republican arguments. To hear Minority Leader McCarthy talk, it was all hearsay and that the IG report proved that the FBI spied on Donald's campaign. Of course, Republicans get away with such lamebrained statements because their base is as dumb as a sack of hammers.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Now, now. A sack of hammers is useful for some purposes. MAGAts, on the other hand...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Here they are: CNN link with text of Articles of Impeachment

Last edited by Oakminster; 12-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Those look pretty specific and concrete to me, but IANAL.

I'd say that the OP started this thread too early and lashed out based on a total lack of information. Why?
Old 12-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Having briefly read the articles, I'm concerned. I do not know, but I strongly suspect the Senate will hold a trial and then dismiss the articles, leaving Trump in office. Trump will almost certainly take that as more than a simple exoneration. I expect he will portray it as official endorsement and ratification of his actions, and future Presidents will see it as precedent allowing such conduct in the future.

Worse, the inevitable shit storm surrounding the trial is likely to fire up Trump's base and lead them to turn out in overwhelming numbers for the election, dooming the chances of whoever the Dems nominate.

This will not end well for anybody not in the Trump camp.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Worse, the inevitable shit storm surrounding the trial is likely to fire up Trump's base and lead them to turn out in overwhelming numbers for the election, dooming the chances of whoever the Dems nominate.

I don't share that fear. The Reich base is ALWAYS fired up and ALWAYS outraged. They ALWAYS vote, every single MAGAbot would crawl over broken glass and hot coals in the nude under barbed wire to vote a straight (R) ticket. Christ, they're fucking outraged that Barron's name was mentioned by a witness (THE HORROR!). Sure, they'll be outraged over the trial but they're fucking outraged by a tan suit. What I think this will do is emphasized the importance of the election and motivate Democrats to get off their asses and vote.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Those look pretty specific and concrete to me, but IANAL.

I'd say that the OP started this thread too early and lashed out based on a total lack of information. Why?
Momentum.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Having briefly read the articles, I'm concerned. I do not know, but I strongly suspect the Senate will hold a trial and then dismiss the articles, leaving Trump in office. Trump will almost certainly take that as more than a simple exoneration. I expect he will portray it as official endorsement and ratification of his actions, and future Presidents will see it as precedent allowing such conduct in the future.

I have to agree with you on everything except the last bit; This is not going to end well for anybody in the entire country.

Cut to 2028: The President, who is a Democrat, sends a sack of taxpayer cash to Sri Lanka, in exchange for "documented evidence" that her chief Republican rival in the upcoming election is a satan-worshipper who murdered children. She then instructs the FBI to investigate, and come up with the exact conclusions she's written down. She forbids anyone to cooperate with any Republicans whatsoever. If Republicans complain - tough shit.

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 12-10-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I don't share that fear. The Reich base is ALWAYS fired up and ALWAYS outraged. They ALWAYS vote, every single MAGAbot would crawl over broken glass and hot coals in the nude under barbed wire to vote a straight (R) ticket. Christ, they're fucking outraged that Barron's name was mentioned by a witness (THE HORROR!). Sure, they'll be outraged over the trial but they're fucking outraged by a tan suit. What I think this will do is emphasized the importance of the election and motivate Democrats to get off their asses and vote.
If the past 3 years have shown anything is that the MAGAcult membership is limited to ~63M. No more. No less.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
Abuse of power and obstruction of justice is weak?

Jebus, if 43% of Americans think this way, then America is completely fraked.
Oh, all Presidents abuse their power and obstruct justice, didn't you know? Both sides and all.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:09 PM

I see a serious problem with Article I
The Senate takes their role of jury vary seriously and will acquit based on specific words. With Clinton there was the issue over the use of the word "is" and with Johnson many Senators wanted to vote for acquittal since the "term" covered by the Tenure of Office Act ended when Lincoln died. So I see a valid reason to vote for acquittal by basing the article on the 2020 election and characterizing Joe Biden as a "political opponent". Remember he hasn't won the primary yet so is not Trump's opponent and is not (yet?) a candidate in the Presidential election.

It may be a pedantic reading of the situation but the Senate is 2 out of 2 in splitting hairs like that.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Um. That was a given months ago. This is a new revelation?
Old 12-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Um. That was a given months ago. This is a new revelation?
The Articles of Impeachment were not released months ago, so yes, this is, in fact, a new revelation.

Last edited by Oakminster; 12-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Articles of Impeachment were not released months ago, so yes, this is, in fact, a new revelation.
I think he meant your speculation on Trump’s reaction.

Which actually brings my own question to mind: is the “official take” from the White House that he never did any of this, or that he did this and it’s okay? Because if it’s the former, that makes future Presidents trying to do so a little more complex than simply “Trump did it, so I’m fine.”
Old 12-10-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
I think he meant your speculation on Trump’s reaction.

Which actually brings my own question to mind: is the “official take” from the White House that he never did any of this, or that he did this and it’s okay? Because if it’s the former, that makes future Presidents trying to do so a little more complex than simply “Trump did it, so I’m fine.”
I think his position is that he did nothing wrong. And if anything was wrong, it isn't impeachable. And Crooked Hillary. Blah blah blah.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
My understanding of the "official take" from the White House is you can't impeach after an election because the people have spoken, and you also cannot impeach before an election, because the people are about to speak. Also you cannot impeach when the economy is good, and also Obama is the one who really should be impeached here.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 12-10-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
The Senate takes their role of jury vary seriously and will acquit based on specific words. With Clinton there was the issue over the use of the word "is" and with Johnson many Senators wanted to vote for acquittal since the "term" covered by the Tenure of Office Act ended when Lincoln died. So I see a valid reason to vote for acquittal by basing the article on the 2020 election and characterizing Joe Biden as a "political opponent". Remember he hasn't won the primary yet so is not Trump's opponent and is not (yet?) a candidate in the Presidential election.

It may be a pedantic reading of the situation but the Senate is 2 out of 2 in splitting hairs like that.
Any Senators who sit there during the trial and say, "Well, on the one hand what Trump did was very, very wrong, but on the other hand Biden is not *technically* a political opponent so I'm going to acquit" are bad people.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:

More than that it will not look good for Biden either. Regardless of what Trump did wrong having the son of a sitting Vice President get rich off of foreign business deals with a country as entangled as Ukraine when his only qualification was getting kicked out of the Navy for cocaine does not look good. If Trump were smarter he would have just saved that for the campaign ads. And Joe is not handling it well as it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com...ualifying.html
Old 12-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Any Senators who sit there during the trial and say, "Well, on the one hand what Trump did was very, very wrong, but on the other hand Biden is not *technically* a political opponent so I'm going to acquit" are bad people.
I think the outcome is as predetermined as Wrestlemania. Most Senators, at least on the GOP side, already know they're going to vote to acquit. Some may quibble with the rationale, but they never really have to say anything beyond something like "I don't think the evidence was sufficient to remove him from office."
Old 12-10-2019, 02:06 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
I think the outcome is as predetermined as Wrestlemania. Most Senators, at least on the GOP side, already know they're going to vote to acquit. Some may quibble with the rationale, but they never really have to say anything beyond something like "I don't think the evidence was sufficient to remove him from office."
2/3 is a purposely difficult bar to hurdle. No one, including Trump, was more deserving of the boot than Andrew Johnson and they couldn’t even get rid of him.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
More than that it will not look good for Biden either. Regardless of what Trump did wrong having the son of a sitting Vice President get rich off of foreign business deals with a country as entangled as Ukraine when his only qualification was getting kicked out of the Navy for cocaine does not look good. If Trump were smarter he would have just saved that for the campaign ads. And Joe is not handling it well as it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com...ualifying.html
Hunter Biden's life seems to consist of an almost-endless array of bad decisions. I suspect President Trump realized that he'll almost certainly produce additional material for his campaign ads between now and the commencement of the general election season.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post

There are exactly 0 Senators for which that would matter. Republicans might use that as a fig leaf excuse, but the real reason they'll acquit is because he's their leader and "fuck you, that's why."
Old 12-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
2/3 is a purposely difficult bar to hurdle. No one, including Trump, was more deserving of the boot than Andrew Johnson and they couldn’t even get rid of him.
Johnson was an exceptionally poor President, without question. But the articles of impeachment against him were utterly ridiculous. That was the one and only true political impeachment we've seen.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Can the President ignore the will of Congress? That is fundamentally what the charges are about. Does Congress have the power of the purse, or does it not? Does Congress have the power to investigate, or does it not? The Senate will be forced to choose between upholding over two centuries of its own authority and being nothing more than a President's lapdog.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:27 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Johnson was an exceptionally poor President, without question. But the articles of impeachment against him were utterly ridiculous. That was the one and only true political impeachment we've seen.
Johnson fucked the country for the next century or more with how he purposely mishandled Reconstruction. Trump is going to be a blip in history by comparison.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Johnson fucked the country for the next century or more with how he purposely mishandled Reconstruction. Trump is going to be a blip in history by comparison.
Probably, but the complete abandonment of rule of law or pretense of caring about ethics or fact could be the start of a very bad path. If Trump just loses re-election, sure, blip. If Trump wins and then the GOP starts down a road to enshrine themselves permanently because they can't win with the demographic shifts... that could be dark.