Old 01-06-2020, 01:15 PM

I suspect the first effect of life extension would be an extension of the post-adolescent phase; the college life drinking and partying time; but tempered by the need to ensure that by age what? 40? they have enough for the recurring treatments.

And the underclass who cannot afford that will continue to have children, some of who will manage to become part of the long-lived. But breaking in will be tough. Who wants to pay big dollars to someone just starting out in life unless they display remarkable talent, when there will be a pool of workers with decades of experience to draw from? Will that first generation be the long-lifers, and most of the rest born after that doomed to short-lived failure?
Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
People used to have children in their late teens in the "Good Old Days". Now the mid-20's is more usual, and some people delay well into their 30's. I suspect the majority of people, given the option, would choose to have their early life experiences fist - travel, live it up, get established.
My daughter was born when I was 18. Her children were born when she was 39 and 41, with the partner she'd been with since she was 19. (Great guy, too. And yes, they lived it up and traveled.) My grandson is 60 years younger than I. Talk about feeling old...

With MUCH longer lifespans presumably giving longer reproductive lives, many folks may delay parenthood indefinitely. What happens when Gramps and Gram are a century or three older than any grandkids? Can they even pretend to communicate? Will "family" become an abstraction?
Old 01-07-2020, 02:55 AM

I kind of think things will stagnate culturally. Things change so fast today. But... when the buying public has their preferences formed anywhere from 40 to 340 years ago, and assuming low/delayed reproduction rates, the number of people in any age class will be fairly small - there will either be dozens of niche markets, or more likely trends will come and stick around for decades. Look at the boomers (That's me, Herc!) and rock music. I was in Burger King the other day and they were playing disco on the Muzak, and I thought "Wow! This song is over 40 years old!" I don't think any place except a ballroom would have been playing all top hits from the 30's when I was in college. Rolling Stones' Paint It Black (1970?) was the theme used in ads for some action video game ads. and so on...

the dominant group (much like boomers today) will be the group that were old enough to use the rejuvenation technique when it first became available. Their culture will predominate.

Last edited by md2000; 01-07-2020 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
* Antiquities markets collapse. What, THAT old stuff? How retro. <yawn>
Would the retro market not explode? People like things from their youth and now they have so much more youth to reminisce about. That widget from 2 centuries ago might be interesting to a few historians today, but in the future there will be a lot more of people who actually remember that widget and want to have it for the memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
OTOH, I don't want to live hundreds of years. If I could restore some youth right now that would be great for a few more years, but I'm getting pretty bored and fed up with life anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
In terms of my individual life, yeah after a while working, socializing, sexing etc gets tiresome. But if I could live a few centuries, I would, because I want to see more of what we learn about the universe and what we can achieve.
Would it not be fair to say that these things get tiresome and boring today because as we get older we get physically more tired and have less energy as a rule? People aren't fed up with life because they have seen it all, but because they are more run down. I would think that if I maintained the energy of my thirties for a few hundred years that my tolerance for socializing and sexing would get expanded quite a bit.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:26 PM

It would be more than retro or nostalgia, it would simply be demand - give me the stuff I remember from my early years.

My point being there would be a rush of people for the first 30 to 50 years as people reach the age for treatment then receive it. They would be like a giant baby boomer cohort and dominate everything. Then, these people would have kids slowly and irregularly and there would be very few children at any time, these newbies would have a limited niche culture. It would be like being the only millennial working in an office full of 50-somethings. Generational culture (other than the "boomers") then would be like finding fellow Slovenians or Norwegians or Thais in your city to hang out with - very few of you but with a common bond of shared experience.