Old 12-27-2019, 02:53 PM

What is Pelosi's strategy?

There are many impeachment threads, and at least one of them have thousands of posts, so I would like to ask a (hopefully) simple question.

Can someone help me understand what Pelosi's strategy is for holding on to the impeachment stuff and not sending it the Senate? I know she is not doing it for giggles, she has a strategy.

I know that Trump will not receive a "fair trial" in the Senate, but that is not going to change before the election, so why delay?

I have heard something about some kind of lawsuit, but that could take months and months.

Can someone explain this to me?
Old 12-27-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Toy with Trump. While he’s focused on impeachment, he can do less harm.

Allow the Democratic Senators and Bernie to keep campaigning. It’s a front loaded primary schedule.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:38 PM

you're right--there have been a lot of impeachment threads .
So I'm going to go for the theory (which has been mentioned before, I'm sure) :
That Pelosi realized she made a mistake with the whole impeachment thing, and it has backfired badly.

It was necessary to start impeachment in order to calm down those 25% of Democratic supporters who suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome, and go bananas whenever his name is mentioned.(i.e my family at Thanksgiving dinner )

Yes, Trump is a criminal. But impeachment is a not a criminal process..it's a political process.And it simply has not worked; It hasn't reduced Trump's popularity.
It has become nothing more than a repeat of the earlier attempt: the sacred Mueller report, which Rachel Maddow promised us was going be the end of Trump, and also failed totally.

The only effect of the impeachment process so far is the opposite of what the Dems wanted.
Instead of focusing public attention on Trump's crimes, it has focused the public on the Biden family's crimes.

Right now, to the general public (i.e. people who don't pay much attention)
if you mention the word "Ukraine"...they will think of both Trump and Biden as being equally involved in some sort of vague political games involving billions of dollars, and both of them are probably equally guilty.
A year ago, nobody even knew that Biden had a son; now they all know that he's a spoiled rich kid making billions because his name is Biden.

And the more it gets into the news, the more the name Biden is going to look bad.

So now, the best interests of the Dems is to quietly stop talking about impeachment.
The trial in the senate will not get rid of Trump, but it will thrust Biden's shenanigans into the public eye, and all of the attention will be negative.

So it's best to avoid the trial altogether.And hope it fades from public awareness before the election.

Last edited by chappachula; 12-27-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:42 PM

@chappachulla: Where has this 'Impeachment Mistake Theory' been mentioned?
Old 12-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I think that Pelosi is generally quite politically astute, but in this case I think she's made a mistake. By holding onto the impeachment, she lets McConnell and Trump completely ignore it at no cost to either of them. Send it over. Yes, we know that the Senate is going to vote to acquit, but force them to get those votes on record. There are at least a few Senators for whom that will matter with their electorate.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
@chappachulla: Where has this 'Impeachment Mistake Theory' been mentioned?
I dunno, honestly..... I seem to remember reading it someplace either here on on reddit, and thinking "hey, this theory seems logical."
I doubt if it's my original idea.

(But I do know that I'm right about my family's Thanksgiving dinner. )
Old 12-27-2019, 04:52 PM

She's doing exactly what she said she is doing. There is no benefit in letting them have a sham trial and get it over with quick, so let them stew. Going by Lisa Murkowski's comment it is already paying dividends.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:54 PM

Not so much Pelosi’s strategy as Schumer’s. He has few cards to play in this battle save timing. Pelosi will transmit the articles when Schumer tells her the battlefield is most advantageous for their side, likely in the aftermath of a Trump outrage that might (but probably won’t) spark what little sense of shame the Senate majority still retains.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I think that Pelosi is generally quite politically astute, but in this case I think she's made a mistake. By holding onto the impeachment, she lets McConnell and Trump completely ignore it at no cost to either of them. Send it over. Yes, we know that the Senate is going to vote to acquit, but force them to get those votes on record. There are at least a few Senators for whom that will matter with their electorate.
And some of those Senators will be up for re-election.

IMO, it comes down to strategic timing vis-a-vis the 2020 elections. If the House sends it to the Senate as soon as possible after 1/1/2020, the acquittal in the Senate will be old news before most primary elections. Is that a good thing or a bad thing for Democrats?

The way Trump and McConnell are pushing for the impeachment to get to the Senate, it seems that the GOP thinks doing so would hurt the Democratic Party. I have no idea if Pelosi agrees, but it seems now like maybe she doesn't.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

The opposite to chappachula's theory is the one that says that Pelosi is playing this masterfully.

The impeachment has clearly made Trump even crazier than normal. He wants nothing more than to get the Senate to quickmarch the trial and totally vindicate him. Second only to that is wanting every single Republican in the Senate to swear fealty to his His Orangeness.

Neither can happen until Pelosi transmits the articles and trial managers. The delay allows all the commentators not on the right to go on and on about how much of a farce Mitch McConnell has made of the Constitution by declaring that the Senators who will be taking an oath of impartiality are pre-siding with the defense. According to 538, over 40% of so-called independents support Trump's removal. Trampling the Constitution is not going to go over well with them. Pushback may force the few moderate Republicans to demand some semblance of fairness to leak through, as Susan Collins is already demonstrating.

That explains Pelosi's moves. She is actually playing chess and looking several moves ahead, unlike Trump. She has only one stick to poke at Trump, so she's wielding it. And obviously doing so well, given how loud the roars are.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Seems to me, McConnell and Trump are far more eager to have it get to the Senate than Pelosi or Schumer. Additionally, new evidence has been made public and McConnell has signaled that witness testimony is on the table (though I would not trust him farther than I can throw him). So the delay has not been a mistake in any way that I can see so far.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:04 PM

Pelosi has Trump by the short-and-curlys. McConnell is in a hurry to get this thing over with, but the longer she waits, the more info that may emerge, more pressure on Bolton and Mulaney to come forward and speak, and the more Republican Senators may start showing cracks in the Trump wall (e.g. Murkowski). For all we know there is some behind the scene dealings going on with more GOP Senators.

I agree with Elmer J. Fudd - they are saving their powder for when it will be most advantageous. It still will not likely amount to any difference in the outcome, but as stated, it seems to be a big distraction for Trump at the moment and keeping him from acting on his dangerous and impulsive thoughts.

The whole distract-o-sphere perpetrated by the right-wing pundits aimed at Biden is laughable anywhere outside Faux News. It amounts to "bu-bu-bu-bu-but, her emails!"
Old 12-27-2019, 06:09 PM

There's a theory that McConnell doesn't have all of the Republicans in lock-step; some are facing political pressure to actually consider the evidence and listen to witnesses. Regardless of the belief in how it should turn, a substantial majority of Americans want an actual trial.

So Pelosi is holding out for that to happen; she's demanding that the Senate actually have the real players in this bit testify, instead of letting the Republicans get away with dismissing this as 'second hand gossip'. And it's effective because a handful of Republicans are saying, "We also want witnesses to testify so that we can have a real trial before we vote to acquit" because their constituents are not going to tolerate an exoneration without any consideration of the facts.

The problem, though, is that the people Trump has prevented from testifying will absolutely confirm the scandal, which McConnell can't let happen. So, he's in an impossible position, and Pelosi is taking advantage by forcing him to try to manage to agree to the 'fair' trial his caucus wants while preventing anything of substance from actually coming to light, such that Trump's conduct becomes undeniable.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
I dunno, honestly..... I seem to remember reading it someplace either here on on reddit, and thinking "hey, this theory seems logical."
I doubt if it's my original idea.

)
Well, I hope it's not your original idea, because it sucks.

All it's missing is: " and then Pelosi will realize what a Great and Awesome Leader our Trump is!!!"
Old 12-27-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
...The only effect of the impeachment process so far is the opposite of what the Dems wanted.
Instead of focusing public attention on Trump's crimes, it has focused the public on the Biden family's crimes.

Right now, to the general public (i.e. people who don't pay much attention)
if you mention the word "Ukraine"...they will think of both Trump and Biden as being equally involved in some sort of vague political games involving billions of dollars, and both of them are probably equally guilty.
A year ago, nobody even knew that Biden had a son; now they all know that he's a spoiled rich kid making billions because his name is Biden...
Is this intended to be facetious? There are no "Biden family's crimes" and Hunter Biden has not made "billions because his name is Biden".
Old 12-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Is this intended to be facetious? There are no "Biden family's crimes" and Hunter Biden has not made "billions because his name is Biden".
As you know, around the world there are many people tap-tap-tapping that particular propaganda, stating fictions as though they were facts, and hoping that people don't notice.

Troublesome for all those industrious folks: the fact that there are no FBI (headed by a Trump appointee, and ultimately by Trump protector William Barr) or CIA (also headed by a Trump appointee) investigations into the supposedly-criminal Bidens. If Barr thought he could get away with announcing such investigations, of course he would have done so.

And those who are the target of the propaganda are bound to ask why Barr hasn't done this, if there's evidence of wrongdoing by a Biden.

Inconvenient indeed!
Old 12-27-2019, 07:52 PM

I see a recent poll has support for removal has risen from 48% to 55%. That's probably the strategy. Let more information continue to come out. Let the Republicans continue to support the criminal conman of a president. Either eventually even the Republicans will be forced to turn on Trump or it doesn't matter anyway. If the latter, then they may as well keep getting under Trump's skin.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:37 PM

In all matters in which you are in a bubble, that you really want to burst, it's best to string it out as long as possible.

In this case the bubble is the unreality. Every thing that happens, by Pelosis actions certainly, serves to break the unreality we are living under and subject to.

Was mcconnel in reality when he promised to be biased, in lock step with the defendant, and to deliver the desired verdict? No. He found that out the next day.

He wanted it to be our reality. It's not. Unless we let it. Every Murkowski, every tweet, every day can be another nail in that traitors coffin.

Has anyone here been in high stress contested situations, like job actions, greivances? If you have been you know that this is just what the potus needs over the christmas season. To let him skate into christmas at maralago by letting him off the hook would be a disgrace to the country.

The hype is that there is nothing to see, nothing can happen. They have a lot of us, some on here, saying it. Please stop. If you believe anything from mcconnel you are buying the hype.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:46 PM

It's not a remote idea that the rebups just really really wanted to get the articles fast, to make sure donnie has a good christmas season and nothing bad happens for them, because of trumps transient anxieties and acting out.

They way they are hyping the "non event" of it it is a dead giveaway.

It might have been donnie on mitchs case. Mitch lost it on hannity by trying to please the potus.

No question in my mind donnie is miserable about not resolving these issues before his holiday, and it was him who was pushing. Even less question that Nancy knows this.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:54 PM

Right now at this moment, the potus is telling people to refuse to testify or obey lawful subpeonas.

Why do we need to analyze NPs actions when this is the case?

She is responding to a sui generis situation.

IOW once the potus stops obeying the law, you need to get harder in your approach, and start looking at the small print, like the timing, how the articles get transmitted, whether you are going to do the dude a favor by what you do, etc etc.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 PM

Short answer is "get under the other side's skin" - and it's working.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:47 PM

My totally uninformed expectation has Pelosi anticipating really nasty evidence forthcoming, evidence that makes defending Tramp suicidal for GOP senators. My fear is that Tramp will pull a horrible WagTheDog event if he feels such evidence is about to emerge. Can his financials, showing he's owned by Putin, be released before he launches?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

The timing of the impeachment turned out to be a bit tricky - it wouldn't surprise me at all if it coming right around the holidays was a factor, and not for any deep Machiavellian reason, but just because Pelosi didn't want to appear to be trying to spoil Christmas for anyone.

Besides, letting Trump twist in the wind is fun and since he couldn't keep his mouth shut even if chewing on a superglue sandwich, letting him bluster and blurt is more likely to hurt him than help him.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:15 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
The timing of the impeachment turned out to be a bit tricky - it wouldn't surprise me at all if it coming right around the holidays was a factor, and not for any deep Machiavellian reason, but just because Pelosi didn't want to appear to be trying to spoil Christmas for anyone.

Besides, letting Trump twist in the wind is fun and since he couldn't keep his mouth shut even if chewing on a superglue sandwich, letting him bluster and blurt is more likely to hurt him than help him.
Yeah, I'd say that's the likely fact. Pelosi knows he won't be convicted on the available evidence. Stringing it out a bit just indicates that she's hoping he'll tweet out or say something really dumb and move more people against him.

I don't think for a moment that she went into this thinking a conviction and removal was in the cards. This is aimed at making him jumpy and improving D chances overall next November. Nothing more.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
There are many impeachment threads, and at least one of them have thousands of posts, so I would like to ask a (hopefully) simple question.

Can someone help me understand what Pelosi's strategy is for holding on to the impeachment stuff and not sending it the Senate? I know she is not doing it for giggles, she has a strategy.

I know that Trump will not receive a "fair trial" in the Senate, but that is not going to change before the election, so why delay?

I have heard something about some kind of lawsuit, but that could take months and months.

Can someone explain this to me?
My impression is this.

- it makes people notice the GOP won't have a fair trial in the senate, because they have said they won't
- After Trump is acquitted he can say he is innocent. If there is no trial he can't say that
- It irritates Trump and makes him do stupid(er) things
- A senate trial could require people like Warren, Booker, Klobuchar and Sanders to stay off the campaign trail which would cut their fundraising, voter turnout, etc.
- rather than impeachment being something that is forgotten by election time, it'll still be fresh in people's memory when the election is held
- The GOP is just going to turn the entire senate trial into a trial against Joe Biden, his son and Hillary Clinton.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, I'd say that's the likely fact. Pelosi knows he won't be convicted on the available evidence. Stringing it out a bit just indicates that she's hoping he'll tweet out or say something really dumb and move more people against him.

I don't think for a moment that she went into this thinking a conviction and removal was in the cards. This is aimed at making him jumpy and improving D chances overall next November. Nothing more.
Only nitpick is: Pelosi knows that he won't be convicted despite available evidence.

I wonder if there is any advantage to releasing these articles to the senate, at all. The house voted to impeach and that will stand, regardless. A couple of political wonks debating back and forth whether impeachment requires senate vote is immaterial to what happens in the 2020 election year. Effectively denying Trump and McConnell vindication in the senate is far more valuable. What's to be gained by allowing the psychological and political advantage to be neutralized by a vote to exonerate by an openly rigged GOP controlled senate?

This is as much about twisting the knife in Trump as it is about twisting the knife in McConnell and the GOP in the senate. And the more new evidence of Trump's malfeasance comes out, the harder the twist of the knife.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Question: So can Nancy pull a mitch and just not pass them over at all? Just call it a "Merrick Garland" type of discarded norm and move on?
Old 12-28-2019, 12:34 PM

Yes, she can.

Though I dare say actually stating this lets the air out of the situation. Better to stretch the uncertainty for as long as possible.

Last edited by squeegee; 12-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Nit pick: "Nothing more" is not accurate or descriptive at all for this situation. The variables are legion. ternups mental state, rebupki senators, the american public. You can't go into a fight like this by limiting your remit like that.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 PM

Q: What is Speaker Pelosi's strategy?
A: Ask her, not us. We can only guess.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just for the record, the Biden family have not committed any crimes here.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:

This seems like the best analysis to me. Pelosi knows conviction is an extreme longshot, she just wants to make the process as politically costly as possible for Repubs. She's doing this by keeping impeachment a live concern in public awareness, which creates a longer window of pressure for Republicans to defect, or Trump to do something stupid, or new damaging information to emerge.

And for Pelosi, there's no cost in delaying. McConnell established the precedent of "we'll just sit on this" for the Garland nomination. Repubs have no recourse here and it's driving them crazy.

Imagine if Trump actually does something rash like subpoenaing Biden, and Biden says "fine, just sit tight while we fight that in court." Of course Biden wins after a few month, and this delays the impeachment trial until June just as the Mazars/DeutscheBank cases are decided in SCOTUS and Trump's financials come out.

Trump's one winning lifetime strategy has been running out the clock in court, and it's beautiful to behold his dawning realization that his one reliable trick now works directly against him.

Those are very specific chains of events I've laid out, and it may not go exactly like that, but the longer Pelosi lets this simmer, the more opportunity there is for Trump to step into traps that we haven't yet seen, and for Republicans to take the political hit on it.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Instead of focusing public attention on Trump's crimes, it has focused the public on the Biden family's crimes...
What crimes are those, if itís not too much trouble?

If it IS too much trouble, same question. Iím not feeling particularly charitable today.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:38 PM

Plus, McConnell has basically said this will not be a fair trial. Pelosi just wants to delay so Republicans have to back track a bit and say, yea, ok we'll consider it a bit but not much. Keep that message out there that the Republican Senate is in no way fair or unbiased. The "first hand" witnesses are being blocked by Trump. Keep making them say, "Relevant witnesses will not be allowed to testify by order of Trump and Republicans". The message will hit a lot of voters.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:41 PM

I think Pelosi is holding back because the “crime” is still ongoing. Trump still has his henchmen “investigating” the Bidens, much in the same way he “investigated” Obama’s birth certificate. He continues to tease the story in much the same way, by talking about how much wrongdoing is being uncovered without ever revealing what the wrongdoing was.

Trump is amoral and dishonest and he cheats. In everything. He refuses to acknowledge that there are rules and laws that bind him. He doesn’t think what he did was wrong. He would do the same thing again tomorrow, given the opportunity. He sees no distinction between “good for the country” and “good for Trump” He’s going to do something worse sooner or later, probably sooner.

It’s an election year. I think Pelosi should treat the articles of impeachment like a Santa Claus naughty list. As Trump continues to blatantly and openly cheat, she can keep adding to it.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:51 PM

The answer is there is not one reason in the sane universe to deliver this sooner rather than later.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
And for Pelosi, there's no cost in delaying. McConnell established the precedent of "we'll just sit on this" for the Garland nomination. Repubs have no recourse here and it's driving them crazy.
Depends. McConnell might hold the trial regardless. And then it goes to the Courts.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Depends. McConnell might hold the trial regardless. And then it goes to the Courts.
If there aren't any prosecutors (House Managers) to exhibit the Articles, then there can't be a trial. McConnell can have whatever crazy proceeding he wants, but Chief Justice Roberts isn't going to sign off on calling it a trial if there aren't any prosecutors.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:36 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...use/ar-BBYpVkW

At the end of this opinion piece the writer claims Pelosi predicted, "Trump would impeach himself."
Old 12-29-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
At the end of this opinion piece the writer claims Pelosi predicted, "Trump would impeach himself."
"Claims" ? It was rather widely covered at the time, though she did say it behind closed doors.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:25 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
He sees no distinction between ďgood for the countryĒ and ďgood for TrumpĒ
Surely he does. If it is good for country, but bad for Trump, it won't happen.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:38 PM

I am going with Irruncible. I assume Trump is fighting releasing his tax returns because they will reveal something that even McConnell cannot ignore.

However, if that does not happen, I predict that Murkowski, Collins, and Romney will join all the rest of turkeys in the end. They talk the talk, but will not walk the walk.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
"Claims" ? It was rather widely covered at the time, though she did say it behind closed doors.
Ok, but the rest of the article is (more) evidence of that playing out.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
What crimes are those, if itís not too much trouble?

If it IS too much trouble, same question. Iím not feeling particularly charitable today.
I'LL START!!

Trump "University". Pam Bondi, the Florida DA sought a 'donation' from Trump when she was considering criminal charges. She got it and dropped any investigation.

They are both guilty.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Surely he does. If it is good for country, but bad for Trump, it won't happen.
In Trumpís head, there is no such possibility. If itís good for him, itís good for the country by definition. To Trump, they are one and the same.

Please note that this viewpoint is completely detached from reality and exists only in TrumpWorld. But itís the mantra that guides him in thought,word and deed.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
There's no mistake.

The Senate is in recess anyway, so there's no consequence.

By holding it, she allows the media more time to focus attention on her talking points, which is that Trump is not allowing witnesses to come forward and that the Senate is going to make this impeachment trial a sham. But there's not much she can do beyond what she has already. She can only hold the articles for so long, and I predict she'll release them once the Senate is ready for a trial.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:13 PM

By holding it she has destroyed the idea 'Trump is Evil and Must be Removed Immediately!'. Now Pelosi is holding it simply to savor the one political win the democrats have in the last three years.

Trump hasnt committed any "high crimes or misdemeanors", or even been accused of any in the impeachment indictments.

Pelosi HAS abused her power by using quid pro quo with the impeachment documents to try to influence a Senate-run trial. She isn't in the Senate and has no authority there.

Where was the outrage when Trump was investigated by the previous administration for political motives in 2016? An investigation the IG report has shown to be corrupt?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfriver View Post
By holding it she has destroyed the idea 'Trump is Evil and Must be Removed Immediately!'. Now Pelosi is holding it simply to savor the one political win the democrats have in the last three years.

Trump hasnt committed any "high crimes or misdemeanors", or even been accused of any in the impeachment indictments.

Pelosi HAS abused her power by using quid pro quo with the impeachment documents to try to influence a Senate-run trial. She isn't in the Senate and has no authority there.

Where was the outrage when Trump was investigated by the previous administration for political motives in 2016? An investigation the IG report has shown to be corrupt?
Oh wow, this poster has been here for such a long time and contributed so much -- like so many of the other "posters" here the last few weeks.

Coincidence that we're having server problems, too, I'm sure.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The President was just concerned about law breaking, right? We expect our president to investigate crime, donít we?

Can you remind me what law breaking Trump was investigating?

Quote:
So, a President conducting an investigation for political motives is outrageous?
Old 12-29-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Since there's no prospect of removing Tramp immediately, that argument is specious.

Quote:
High crimes include abuse of power and obstruction of justice, of which he has bragged. Bribery is impeachable, too, and he's bragged of giving and taking bribes. He really has impeached himself.

Quote:
Congress, led by Speaker Pelosi, constitutionally has exclusive power to impeach (indict) the President or any other federal officer. She gets to present the articles of impeachment i.e. turn over the indictment whenever she sees fit. The accused does not get to dictate timing.

Quote:
Tramp's team were investigated before 2016 because Russian assets. Quite justified. Note that Putin's defense minister and Tramp's UN ambassador, both cabinet officers, declared that Russia is waging war on the US. See the Constitutional definition of treason.