Old 01-13-2020, 07:17 PM

NYT: Russian hackers infiltrated Burisma - the Ukrainian Gas Company at Center of Impeachment

Quote:
With President Trump facing an impeachment trial over his efforts to pressure Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and his son Hunter Biden, Russian military hackers have been boring into the Ukrainian gas company at the center of the affair, according to security experts.

The hacking attempts against Burisma, the Ukrainian gas company on whose board Hunter Biden served, began in early November, as talk of the Bidens, Ukraine and impeachment was dominating the news in the United States.

It is not yet clear what the hackers found, or precisely what they were searching for. But the experts say the timing and scale of the attacks suggest that the Russians could be searching for potentially embarrassing material on the Bidens — the same kind of information that Mr. Trump wanted from Ukraine when he pressed for an investigation of the Bidens and Burisma, setting off a chain of events that led to his impeachment.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/u...a-ukraine.html
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
Quote:
<snip>

It is not yet clear what the hackers found, or precisely what they were searching for. But the experts say the timing and scale of the attacks suggest that the Russians could be searching for potentially embarrassing material on the Bidens — the same kind of information that Mr. Trump wanted from Ukraine when he pressed for an investigation of the Bidens and Burisma, setting off a chain of events that led to his impeachment.
(bolding mine)

... or what they were planting.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I mean, it could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK? You don’t know who broke in to Burisma.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I mean, it could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds, OK? You don’t know who broke in to Burisma.
I don't know who broke into Burisma, but security experts probably have clues that make their guesses likely to be accurate.

@ Ravenman — Do you know that the "experts" interviewed by N.Y. Times were lying or misinformed?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
(bolding mine)

... or what they were planting.
My thoughts as well.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I don't know who broke into Burisma, but security experts probably have clues that make their guesses likely to be accurate.

@ Ravenman — Do you know that the "experts" interviewed by N.Y. Times were lying or misinformed?
According to a security expert on Lawrence O'Donnell last night, the "fingerprints" on the Burisma attack were exactly the same as those on the DNC hack, and point straight to the GRU. They didn't even bother to disguise themselves. So not only were they searching for (or planting) evidence, they were giving a great big "nyah-nyah-nyaaaaahhh" to Western intelligence, knowing that Barr/Trump — or "Barrump" — will short-circuit any possible investigation.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

I think you've been wooshed - at least I hope so - Trump is known for that statement when it came to 2016 Russian interference and trying to shift the blame and ignoring the analysis of the Intelligence Community.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

simster wins the prize!

ETA: I literally changed one word in that Trump quote -- switched out DNC for Burisma. I thought the "400 pound on his couch" thing would give it away immediately.

Last edited by Ravenman; 01-14-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM

Color me red-faced.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I was almost ready to color you reprising your Bizzarro septimus schtick from last week’s Pit thread.