Old 07-02-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Um...I hate to ask-but wouldn't this also give one massive diarrhea?
Should you choose to drink mudslides via the back door, then going vs. coming is negotiable.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad/Igor
Yeah, if you infused a large enough volume with a large percentage of alcohol, you'd kill off your intestinal normal flora, and possibly wind up with the trots.
Or fauna, depending on how kinky you are.

The more pressing question is, where are you going to get a beer helmet with a long enough hose?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithcats
Should you choose to drink mudslides via the back door, then going vs. coming is negotiable.
This is the post that finally did it.

I can't get the image of waitresses doing handstands out of my head.

"Pink lady in the front, mudslide in the backs. Straws have already been inserted for your convenience.'

Or worse

"Mudslide."

"Be right up." The bartender jumps up and down, and swivels his hips. He then holds a glass under his buttocks and------------- I can't bring myself to type the rest.

BTW- Did anybody get the horrible pun in my Russian post?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode
Are you referring to "Drunk off his ass"? Not really a pun, but certainly clever word play.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bowe
Actually there's a little history here!

About 15 years ago "American Heritage" published a paper that the ancient Incas brewed an alcoholic beverage vile enough to make you lose it if you drank it.
So they used the enema method.

“Rhinal absorption of intoxicants is widespread [Anadenanthera beans, coca leaves, Virola resin, and many nicotianas] on the subcontinent and represents, apparently, a peculiarly American custom which, together with tobacco, spread to the Old World in post-Columbian times.”
Is it still an enema if it's nasal? I was under the impression - could be mistaken, of course - that enemas are solely rectal.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Did anybody get the horrible pun in my Russian post?
I got it, but I reread the post at least five times. Took me a while.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I did not. Explain?

Damn...and I adore a good mudslide. No, not THAT kind.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:47 PM

Yesterday my friends and I were drinking, and my friend sat on a beer can by accident. I joked, "There are easier ways to get drunk." Then I said, jokingly, "Imagine if it turned out that you could get drunk really easily by pouring it in your ass, and people did it just to get drunk for cheap?" I can't believe that people actually do this, and that it works.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
I did not. Explain?

Damn...and I adore a good mudslide. No, not THAT kind.
He said his neighbour was "drunk off his ass".
Get it? Rectal absorption? Ass?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:35 PM

D'oh!

Old 07-03-2004, 05:43 PM

I would have said rectal absorbtion leads to greater intoxication per unit volume due to avoidance of first pass metabolism myself. Now I read V/I's posts, and I'm rather befuddled
Old 07-03-2004, 05:57 PM

Also, I rather thought one of the CYP450 isoforms is responsible for EtOH metabolism, in addition to ADH, and hence the impact taking certain drugs can have on the rate of EtOH metabolism, and visa versa.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I can't get the image of waitresses doing handstands out of my head.
Me either. I hope they open a franchise near here soon.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopydude
Also, I rather thought one of the CYP450 isoforms is responsible for EtOH metabolism, in addition to ADH, and hence the impact taking certain drugs can have on the rate of EtOH metabolism, and visa versa.
It is, by P450 2E1, and it is possible to change the 2E1 expression (e.g. phenytoin and carbamazepine taken together). I'll ask, as our lab does pharmacogenetic testing for several P450 genes. I hadn't thought of that, actually. We did uncover a normally present promoter gene that is absent in the Asian Indian population (we think, we have an N=3), but it doesn't affect the expression of ADH. I should look further into the ADH saturation rate, though. I can't believe that it is that efficient at first pass clearance, but I could be wrong as well.

Vlad/Igor
Old 07-04-2004, 01:12 AM

Many, many years ago we used to give IV alcohol to try and stop premature labor.
I decided to take some of this stuff home and try it since I hated the taste of alcohol and got sick with relatively small amounts in my stomach. I liked the feeling but wanted to avoid the taste and the nausea.

Guess what I found out. IV alcohol promptly diffuses from areas of higher concentrations (bloodstream) to areas of lower concentration (stomach) so I got to barf out the taste I hated anyway.

I imagine the same principle would work with rectal administration so it doesn't really solve any problems for those who don't enjoy the taste or burning sensation. The thing is, you can load a massive dose of alcohol very rapidly by rectal administration especially if you are in a hurry to get that tube out of your bum. A fine way to commit suicide by alcohol poisoning. And what a pretty death it would be --- spewing reeking vomit from your mouth and reeking something else from the other end, and probably all done to the sound track of an hysterical drunk on a crying jag. Now there is death with dignity.

BTW, IV alcohol was pretty useless at arresting premature labor so don't try this at home folks.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Cloud
Many, many years ago we used to give IV alcohol to try and stop premature labor.
BTW, IV alcohol was pretty useless at arresting premature labor so don't try this at home folks.
I had heard of that when I first started working in hospital labs 10 years ago. In fact, I think the first hospital I worked in still used alcohol IVs to stop or slow down contractions. I haven't heard of that treatment since. I have heard of a drug used in Japan called urinary trypsin inhibitor that does slow or stop contractions.

BTW, I misquoted in my last post: phenytoin and carbamazepine are not metabolized by the P450 2E1 protein. They are metabolized by the 2C9 and 2C19 proteins.

Vlad/Igor
Old 07-04-2004, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBlather
I've certainly seen a lot of drunken a**holes.

Best. Answer. Ever.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Cloud
I decided to take some of this stuff home and try it since I hated the taste of alcohol and got sick with relatively small amounts in my stomach. I liked the feeling but wanted to avoid the taste and the nausea.
We've had at least one thread on intravenous alcohol. The general consensus among nonMD Dopers was that the musicians who had admitted shooting up with Jim Beam were lucky not to be dead. The consensus among those Dopers who are MDs was that they were extremely and exceedingly lucky not to be dead, and we should absolutely not try this at home.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blalron
If so, would it absorb faster that way than drinking it would?
No, it is not recommended that you shove a wine bottle up your hiney!!
Old 07-04-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
No, it is not recommended that you shove a wine bottle up your hiney!!
Indeed. That would tend to confuse the nose and finish of a vintage.

OOfah! That year really needs to breathe
Old 07-04-2004, 02:37 PM

I would also avoid shoving Manishweitz, Mogen David, or Kedem up your tuchas. I would think that the high sugar content would lead to terrible gas.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:46 PM

Let's hope that these individuals at least mark which bottles they used rectally. It would be terrible to one day take a swig from the wrong one!

Old 07-04-2004, 05:21 PM

Every time I see this thread title, I'm reminded of a defining moment on Canadian public television from the eighties:

It was a Codco sketch poking fun at the amount of alcohol consumed on-screen in the miniseries Edward and Mrs. Simpson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by as closely as I can remember
Butler: Martinis?
Edward VIII: Yes, absolutely.
(Butler produces hand truck to which a keg marked MARTINI is strapped.)
Butler (to Mrs. Simpson): Shall I insert the spigot directly into your mouth, madam?
Wallis Simpson: No, I prefer a rectal tube, actually.
Edward VIII: Yes, rectally, I think.
Butler: Very well.
(Mrs Simpson bends over the drinks cabinet and the butler lifts her dress and inserts a hose. Edward drops trou and a tube is likewise inserted. Edward and Mrs. Simpson discuss their political problems for some time while the butler operates a hand pump behind them. Their speech becomes more disorganized and slurred until at last they're both crawling around on the floor, ass-tubes in the air, as Wallis urges her lover to "Abdicate, Edward! Aaaabdicate!")
God bless the CBC.